Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch Reset my family tree

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Lot-load time gains?

The lot loading got faster with this patch - and much of what happens in lot loading is Sim calculations. Fewer Sims (dead included) = faster lot loading.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Ohhh. I was going to say getting the reduced townie generating mod might help then but according to the discussion on the mod page they still need to update it. :(
  • Options
    nikkisnikkis Posts: 24 Member
    Ok, so I am having the same issue with the dead sims disappearing from the family tree, and what I understand from this discussion is that the culling in the latest patch is what is causing it, right? Well I also noticed that a lot of the NPC placed in the houses to fill them up are Ghosts. So, if it is deleting dead sims to help with load times then why is it putting dead sims into houses to fill them up? (not my dead sims, btw)

Is there a non mod fix yet? I had way to many issues with mods in sims 3 and do not wish to use them in sims 4. And I seen where one of the Guru's said they were looking into the issue, is there any progress??
  • Options
    Dalva81Dalva81 Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes, same here. And made me really upset and mad. I think its a very important error. Its the whole point of the game - life, generation. I am upset enough about no story progress in the game!! (sims around just walk and die, dont have kids, dont get promotions or get married, how silly!) BUT Sims disappearing from family tree?? (no name or a photo like they never existed!) its waaay too much. Its very important to get it fixed asap.
  • Options
    BeeonkuhBeeonkuh Posts: 9 New Member
    Is it worth it to wait with my legacy family and see if they fix it in future patches? I'm with nikkis, I really REALLY don't want want to get into mods ..I was devastated by this issue in Sims 3 (NEVER had the problem in Sims 2) Hope its something they can fix, but I'm kinda ignorant to these kinds of things... :-/
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    This just happened to me tonight. Two elders finally died and I put them in my cemetery. Their daughter mourned them and went home. After a while, I check her family tree, only to see that her parents are not there anymore! Then I went to the cemetery again, and checked the graves. All of them are blank... So frustrating!

I checked the unplayed sims, just to be sure there wasn't a ton of them. There wasn't so many. Ten, maybe twenty unplayed families. I try to delete them once in a while. I really hate that the game generate so many useless, homeless sims. They should give us the opportunity to delete them all at once and be able to turn generating sims off!
  • Options
    @Icewolf I agree, I'd love to see an off switch for townies. They are just an annoyance.
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    Just so you know Maxis be careful with any of your patch, just so you know to avoid ensuing disappointments from your fellow hardcore fans here
  • Options
    rochelimit wrote: »
    Just so you know Maxis be careful with any of your patch, just so you know to avoid ensuing disappointments from your fellow hardcore fans here

The worst part is you can't play the game unless you patch. (At least I don't think so, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) So you can't wait and watch the forums for problems before you patch.
  • Options
    em.em. Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Just discovered this issue today. I always use the family trees and hadn't noticed an issue until a sim died today and when I clicked around on the tree to a connecting family the previous generations had blank profiles. Also two of my sims that were married died today and on the tree it's as if they weren't married. Only their child connects them separately on the tree. I'm so disappointed. I really hope the can restore the tree. Might have to take a break until then.
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    nikkis wrote: »
    Ok, so I am having the same issue with the dead sims disappearing from the family tree, and what I understand from this discussion is that the culling in the latest patch is what is causing it, right? Well I also noticed that a lot of the NPC placed in the houses to fill them up are Ghosts. So, if it is deleting dead sims to help with load times then why is it putting dead sims into houses to fill them up? (not my dead sims, btw)

Is there a non mod fix yet? I had way to many issues with mods in sims 3 and do not wish to use them in sims 4. And I seen where one of the Guru's said they were looking into the issue, is there any progress??

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing on the mod issue - I have mods, however, I think it's ridiculous to need a mod to enable a feature that EA gave us in the game. They gave us family trees, so why should I put in a mod to enable that feature to continue to function properly now?

I understand they need to randomly cull Sims so the towns not overcrowded - but there has got to be a way to code so that the photos in the family tree stay. Culling ghosts shouldn't remove the tree structure considering that if a Sim dies and they aren't in your active house then they don't get a tombstone or ghost from what I've seen. Plus, if it's removing ghosts then why do I still have houses populated with ghosts and yet my family Sims are just gone forever? That's random. I don't mind if it removes ghosts (for the instances where I was playing a family and had a ghost, then moved to a different lot - I get that those may be culled). But why does that need to be linked to the tree? Isn't there a way to keep the tree photos without having the Sims connected?

I've been playing the same family for 5 generations and it's depressing to go in and see I only have 4 and 5 in the family tree b/c they are my active Sims. 3rd generation is just two grey boxes, and one of my 4th gen Sims that dies doesn't exist at all in the tree. I keep an active list for myself, and I save (most) all of my families, but it's still sad that the tree is pretty much an empty and useless feature now.
    I mean, if we didn't have family trees I could understand - but they gave us this feature, and now it's useless without a mod? No. Not cool. :(
  • Options
    PrincessStarlaPrincessStarla Posts: 52 Member
    The very same thing happened to me. I commented it in other thread (can't post links, but it's name is "MY PAST GENERATIONS ARE AND BEING DELETED. :( *MARCH PATCH*")

In short, my family tree got broken when the third gen was born.

Gen 1 were Zola and J, who had a daughter together, and five alien children by J (three of them were triplets)

In Gen 2, Bailey (J and Zola's daughter) got married to Elijah, Zola drowned and J and one of his alien triplets burnt. Then Bailey got pregnant and Elijah was eaten by a cowplant.

Now Gen 3 has arrived, as Bailey gave birth to twins. I checked one of the twins family tree and... Elijah and the dead triplet were nowhere to be seen, while Bailey's parents were blank portraits. The four urns seem to be empty.

Does anyone know if the No More Culling Mod works?

PS. Yes, the aliens seemed to have a thing for J. Three abductions, three pregnancies and five children (one girl, one girl, male triplets)
    Please keep in mind English is not my first language, so I may make mistakes and have a bit of trouble explaining myself
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The very same thing happened to me. I commented it in other thread (can't post links, but it's name is "MY PAST GENERATIONS ARE AND BEING DELETED. :( *MARCH PATCH*")

In short, my family tree got broken when the third gen was born.

Gen 1 were Zola and J, who had a daughter together, and five alien children by J (three of them were triplets)

In Gen 2, Bailey (J and Zola's daughter) got married to Elijah, Zola drowned and J and one of his alien triplets burnt. Then Bailey got pregnant and Elijah was eaten by a cowplant.

Now Gen 3 has arrived, as Bailey gave birth to twins. I checked one of the twins family tree and... Elijah and the dead triplet were nowhere to be seen, while Bailey's parents were blank portraits. The four urns seem to be empty.

Does anyone know if the No More Culling Mod works?

PS. Yes, the aliens seemed to have a thing for J. Three abductions, three pregnancies and five children (one girl, one girl, male triplets)

The most recent update of the No More Culling mod does work on the newly added cull. You can also roll back to an earlier save (see my signature) and start again from there with that mod in. You will, though, lose any faster-load-time advantage that comes from the new culling.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PrincessStarlaPrincessStarla Posts: 52 Member
    @luthienrising thanks!
    Please keep in mind English is not my first language, so I may make mistakes and have a bit of trouble explaining myself
  • Options
    linarwinglinarwing Posts: 113 Member
    This hasn't happened to me. I have always been upset that WHOLE genealogies aren't shown, after marriage (i.e. aunts & uncles), but at least parents and grandparents have been shown. I have a friend who had this happen to her after the patch, also, and her game is completely vanilla. In my game, I don't allow townies to populate my empty houses, which is why I think this hasn't happened to me. Also, I have had an ancestor die, now, SINCE the patch (since GTW, actually), and she IS in the genealogy, so I really think it's keyed to that culling process, which didn't bother me, since my townies aren't actually allowed to live in my towns.
  • Options
    IsmelllikemintIsmelllikemint Posts: 56 Member
    I was on my 4th generation. I was speechless the find the whole family was just reset. I could click the family, but I saw that was from when I first created the family and I'm just really upset now.
  • Options
    IsmelllikemintIsmelllikemint Posts: 56 Member
    1. before updating with a new patch ALWAYS make a copy of your saves

2. before launching the game remove localthumbcache

3. lower the game settings, it could be performance issues
    restart then the game once again

4. i would also recommend to use the No More Culling mod by Dark Gaia at MTS <<<

Yeah, I should of made a copy. Shame I didn't know it was going to happen.
  • Options
    pageybearpageybear Posts: 180 Member
    This happened to me as well on my 5th generation, the original parents faces disappeared out of the tree and their graves now are blank as well. They need to fix this, its a big part of the game. :(
  • Options
    EllaTheBestEllaTheBest Posts: 8 New Member
    Are there any news on this topic? Is this going to be fixed?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member

Hello @EllaTheBest.
    Hello.
    It is due to the game limiting the amount of sims in the game to 180 sims, then it culls them. To prevent this happening, you can install the NoMore culling mod
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615
    To recover an earlier version of your family tree history you can try rolling back to an earlier version of your game file before the family tree was changed.
    These are links to how to roll back your save to an earlier version. I am posting two in case you find one easier to follow than the other.
    https://enkeli63.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/sims-4-saved-game-back-up-recovery/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
    Install the mod first, then roll back the save.
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @EllaTheBest.
    Hello.
    It is due to the game limiting the amount of sims in the game to 180 sims, then it culls them. To prevent this happening, you can install the NoMore culling mod
    To recover an earlier version of your family tree history you can try rolling back to an earlier version of your game file before the family tree was changed.
    These are links to how to roll back your save to an earlier version. I am posting two in case you find one easier to follow than the other.

No it's not. I don't have that many households active, let alone 180 sims dead or alive. Stop spamming the same post in every thread about family trees. This is an issue that needs to be fixed. Even in Sims 3 you could have a million generations showing up in the family tree, without any problems. They also gave us loading screens every time we have a sim open the bloody door - so the game could perform better. We got the tiniest "worlds" with even tinier neighbourhoods. Everything is loaded lot by lot and still we can't even have a proper family tree?
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited June 2015

Hello @EllaTheBest.
    Hello.

No it's not. I don't have that many households active, let alone 180 sims dead or alive. Stop spamming the same post in every thread about family trees. This is an issue that needs to be fixed. Even in Sims 3 you could have a million generations showing up in the family tree, without any problems. They also gave us loading screens every time we have a sim open the bloody door - so the game could perform better. We got the tiniest "worlds" with even tinier neighbourhoods. Everything is loaded lot by lot and still we can't even have a proper family tree?

I was just trying to be helpful.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member

Hello @EllaTheBest.
    Hello.

I was just trying to be helpful.

@rosemow, This is a common problem and it is very helpful to let people know about it.

@EllaTheBest , a guru has stated that they are trying to improve culling, but we have no advice when a fix may be coming. We also don't know exactly what the fix will do.
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post. I'm gonna try roll back and install the mod but I'm keeping my hopes low. Thank you