Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Sims still Look BETTER!

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Okay, I do have to address a common point made about TS4's Create-a-Sim capabilities because there's something I'm not seeing.

What really bugged me about CAS in TS4 is that the click and pull system of making faces seemed...gimmicky. To how that they didn't do much to improve facial sculpting at all.

Really, the only true improvement was being able to manipulate body shapes too. What can I manipulate in the faces that I couldn't in TS3? You're still restricted to zones that you can sculpt and what you can do with them. And for faces, we didn't get anything deeper than what we had before; just a different way of doing it. And the range is much more limited. I actually couldn't recreate a few sims from TS3 because I couldn't make a gaunt-enough face or pouty enough lips. I didn't use slider range hacks in TS3, so this was a new limitation.

Did I miss something with TS4's CAS?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Okay, I do have to address a common point made about TS4's Create-a-Sim capabilities because there's something I'm not seeing.

What really bugged me about CAS in TS4 is that the click and pull system of making faces seemed...gimmicky. To how that they didn't do much to improve facial sculpting at all.

Really, the only true improvement was being able to manipulate body shapes too. What can I manipulate in the faces that I couldn't in TS3? You're still restricted to zones that you can sculpt and what you can do with them. And for faces, we didn't get anything deeper than what we had before; just a different way of doing it. And the range is much more limited. I actually couldn't recreate a few sims from TS3 because I couldn't make a gaunt-enough face or pouty enough lips. I didn't use slider range hacks in TS3, so this was a new limitation.

I totally agree with you.

For me It's Much harder to make sims in the sims 4 CAS. You can do much more with faces in the sims 3 if you use the sliders. Body types are better in the sims 4.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2015
    InfraGreen wrote: »

I've wondered the same thing. I think people confused easier to use with better. TS4's facial sculpting is not as advanced as people like to claim, it's just easier to use so that makes it amazing. Nope, TS3 has more range. I hate that you can't do like anything with jaws and cheekbones in TS4, they're so limited compared to TS3. And the lip shape. Eye shape.

I do use custom sliders now, but I didn't for years. I don't play TS4 so I don't know what modders can and/or have done for CAS in TS4 but it seems easier to add custom sliders in TS3 than it does to make a new click and drag range, idk... but I appreciate that I can have this incredible range of custom sliders in TS3 if I want. But even before I used custom sliders TS3 had better sculpting ability for the face.

I couldn't recreate some of my base game slider sims from TS3 either, the faces are all far too soft in TS4 there's no definition at all. Some of the shapes of features I could recreate and the softness made some of them lose so much of their look either way.

You didn't miss anything in TS4's CAS people are missing something in TS3's.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2015
    WTH forum. Double post
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited March 2015
    As mentioned earlier...see this pic it is a YA oops edit adult Donia Spinelli from roaring Heights I did not create anything but see that outfit it is the default first version on the outfit from movie stuff...see the embossed waist 3D detailing and lace detail on the front and neck,that is how it should look in your game EA made really nice clothing and the hair is Sims 3 hair.

Screenshot-415_zpsrkjead5v.jpg
    Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    CreamierThanMamiCreamierThanMami Posts: 684 Member
    I agree with you, but using that CC skews your point.
    Fotor0510194637_zps0hyuxnv8.jpg
    If you like my story, contributions to my wishlist are appreciated!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    More no CC fun...

Odessa Cross from barnacle bay a EA created Sim wearing A EA created outfit and EA hair with accessory,on another thread told to get this look it is just the showtime mime makeup use the color wheel to match to the Sims skin color then it is friggin awesome.
    Screenshot-117_zpses0cplrh.jpg

Betty Simovitch EA created Sim daughter of Vadim and loving life as a fairy in her EA clothing, Betty looks like young Jennifer Love Hewitt BTW :o
    Screenshot-364_zpsdfhypzz5.jpg
    Post edited by CravenLestat on

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got Eli Jankowsky from my legacies and I hardly used any CC except for a skin to give her the right skin tone.I used base game and EP or SP clothing and an EA hairstyle with a custom hair color and a custom eye color both made using CASt in the game.I used the EA sliders for the face and CC sliders for only a few other features.She was mostly made using EA sliders and EA clothing or hair.
    16871256745_0c39f6064b_c.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    xSheimiixSheimii Posts: 34 Member
    > @joop123 said:
    > The sims 3 sim looks more real

This.
    T71rSpb.jpg
    Simblr!
    I'm exclusively playing The Sims 3.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    As mentioned earlier...see this pic it is a YA oops edit adult Donia Spinelli from roaring Heights I did not create anything but see that outfit it is the default first version on the outfit from movie stuff...see the embossed waist 3D detailing and lace detail on the front and neck,that is how it should look in your game EA made really nice clothing and the hair is Sims 3 hair.

Screenshot-415_zpsrkjead5v.jpg

Woww...I didn't know that the sims without CC can be this beautiful. Thanks @CravenLestat
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    I really just like them both equally. Here's my Sims from TS3 and their TS4 incarnations. (Though some of the eyes/hair in TS4's version and definitely the scars in both are CC)

10887407_760368134039985_1359895934644206794_o.jpg
  • Options
    DianaTheMadDianaTheMad Posts: 38 Member
    The way Sims look in TS4 is just my preference.

What really annoys me about TS3 is that every townie generated has the same exact face. (Pudding face syndrome!) In TS4, that's not a problem; every townie is unique.
  • Options
    What really annoys me about TS3 is that every townie generated has the same exact face. (Pudding face syndrome!) In TS4, that's not a problem; every townie is unique.

Yeah, that is definitely an advantage. And they could have easily fixed the issue in TS3 by looking at their code better.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Anonymous_Loba24Anonymous_Loba24 Posts: 528 Member
    I like the mustaches on Sims 4 sims, I won't lie. The facial hair looks way better and I'm a sucker for facial hair! I'll update a few pictures of my Sims 3 sims soon and if I can manage it a word of caution: I'm not the best person when it comes to creating sims.
    4079d81271f2af485384f79de0670e0a.gif
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,372 Member
    adventfear wrote: »

10887407_760368134039985_1359895934644206794_o.jpg

Now I understand why people have said S4 sims look cartoony. This really illustrates that point. I like your S3 sims better.
  • Options
    AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    15zf8ye.jpg

@Deshong04, This is the hair I have been looking for! Do you know where I can get it? I need more curly hair for my Sims. Is it available for male Sims as well?
  • Options
    I'm with you there (that cc looks terrific by the way, that certainly isn't what I have in mind when I say I don't like cc).
    I must admit though it will certainly look better on screens, but it's not that important to me - when I play the game - their skins look totally realistic. I strongly disagree when people state sims in 3 need cc to make it playable. Not the way I play the game anyway.

The bone structure in Sims 4 CAS is terrific, but it just isn't in the game. I'm yet to witness the first example of that anyway.
    And it's nice we can vary certain areas of the body in 4, but I very much prefer the body's in S3 (and their posture).
    I made a Sims 3/Sims 4 comparison of the blond girl once (because others supposedly did but they - deliberately or not - did a very bad job on the S3 version).

Blonde_zps634f5cd3.png

Even though the S4 girl is in CAS (where the sims are at their best in that game) I prefer the Sims 3 version.
    But it is a matter of opinion like you say.

Your blonde girl remake is the best I've seen, she's really pretty.

Only thing when it comes to posture in TS3 I wish were different is the option to choose how I want my elder to look. I don't necessarily not like the hunched back look but at the same time don't want all my elders looking like that because it's unrealistic. Neither my grandmother nor when he was alive, my tall grandfather looked like that.
    Thank you :)
    I agree about the elders, although it's not so bad in the game as it is in CAS.
    Those elders look fine to me:

Raven_853_zpsf9ece2e8.png

Raven_889a_zps638cd483.png

Raven_905c_zps9c9911c1.png

I dye their hair when I think it suits their character; so does my 77 years old mother ;)
    I prefer it to the elders in S4 that look like young people with grey hair (although that's a glitch I believe).

WARNING: long post about working in CAS

I agree, I like the Sims 3 Sims better, too. That Sims 3 Sim by @astridentanja is very pretty. I am intrigued by the Sims 4 Sims, but in a novel sort of way. I would like to try making some, but I am not sure I am going to have as much fun playing them. The Sims 4 Sims are nice, but very different.

I have seen a few uncanny Sims 4 representations (for example, a Tamara Taylor you could recognize before being told who she was supposed to be), but I’m not sure if that will be easy to repeat with other celebrities. I am looking forward to trying out some of the new features. It will be great to be able to adjust the upper face shape independently of the lower face or otherwise sculpt the head, the cleft chins are something I’ve wanted since Sims 1, and if there is an eyebrow distance slider, that will be very nice.

In Sims 3 CAS, I am currently struggling with a Sim modeled after a person with an unusual look. He has a long narrow face, close set eyes, and manly brows that lay close to the eyes. He’s getting closer, but I’m afraid my Sim is looking too guant instead of youthful. I wish I could lower the eyebrows and give him more of a brow. I really wish I could make his chin wider without making it bulbous. But you can’t tilt the view in CAS, and he may look totally different in game. I am curious about how a Sim 4 version would compare, too.

I am still getting the hang of some things. Sometimes the features look kind of good, but on second glance lay strangely within the face shape. Sometimes the 3/4 view looks very strange. I will only figure this out by going in and out of CAS with a Sim. I only recently figured out how to play eye shape against eye distance in order to squeeze eyes closer together.

I wish we had metrics on the CAS sliders (no, it’s not about the numbers meaning anything, it’s about knowing what you did previously -- it’s not like a size, like some people fear). I know there’s a mod somewhere, but I sometimes make my own metric by holding up a ruler and choosing a number between 1 and 32. I don’t know how I am going to like pushing and pulling in Sims 4.

All this may sound very complicated, but I am having fun and it’s getting easier. I think I can make recognizable Sims (good likenesses) within the limitations of Sims 3 CAS with a little more practice. If not, I may explore some slider mods, but I want them to look natural and fit in with the look of the game. But you can easily make nice looking Sims that look in general look like the person you have in mind and that can adequately represent a character in the game. I’ve even finally accomplished making a passable simself.

Sims 4 CAS seems to have some promising features, looking from the outside, but they are more cartoony. Some people like that. However, I have seen some disturbing ingame screenshots. And they do all seem to make the same facial expressions and make them often. I’ve heard it said by more than one person that all your hard work in CAS can be for naught because they don’t end up looking unique in the game. And I agree about the posture. They have exaggerated body shapes and stances -- not to mention the silly walks. I wish some of the Sims 4 innovations could have been brought into The Sims 3, because I really like those Sims better.

@astridentanja, I always thought the elders were a bit much, but the ingame elders in those pictures actually don’t look that bad. I thought a few of my Sims who are a bit older looked kind of right as elders, but I was horrified when I checked how my simself would look as an elder. I thought, I hope that I won’t look like that for another 15 years or so and decided to keep her as an adult for a longer period of time. 40, um, is the new 60? Later I decided that maybe I could think of these elders as being in their seventies and eighties, rather than 60. ;)

. . . which my sister, who doesn’t play Sims, thought was hilarious.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited April 2015
    Annikaperi wrote: »
    15zf8ye.jpg

@Deshong04, This is the hair I have been looking for! Do you know where I can get it? I need more curly hair for my Sims. Is it available for male Sims as well?

Got the hair from here but when I click on it says: The file link that you requested is not valid. Yes, the hair is for males as well and for all ages too.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=478537

I think this it too but you have to sign in. http://www.4shared.com/rar/uAmrkvwn/SAU-MYOS_fhair14_all-age.htm&showComments=true

The file names I have in my folder are:

2rz5agy.png

================

You may find something else you like here too if you have not already acquired it. http://curlysim.tumblr.com/
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Thank you, @Deshong04. I can't get the link to the hair from the first link's custom Sim download page to work either. Cazy's is gone. Curly Sim had a cropped version that had gaps, and something called Spellbound, a more highly textured revision. Mod the Sims pointed me to a Missbonbon page that seems to be merely a journal with no download button, and also to the Spellbound retexture. Your second link seems to work. There are no comments and no description, so I can't be sure if it is the same lovely version as yours or if it is available for both genders. I guess I will have to sign up and download to find out.

Yours has a lovely curly texture, while the other one is frizzier and looks like it maybe only looks good if colored in a certain way. Ideally I would like to have both, but I am not sure if it possible. I'm not sure if they both point to the same mesh or are independent of each other. I'm not really sure how those things work.

This is also the first custom content that I will not have downloaded directly from Mod the Sims, so I am a little leary of it. I have never heard of 4shared. I guess I shall have to find out about things like Custard.

Is anybody familiar with the different versions and sources for this hair?

Anyway, thank you @Deshong04 for all your help.
  • Options
    Here's a version of the hair. It's the aikea_guinea Spellbound MYOS14 Retexure For Toddler-Elder Females page. It also contains a link for downloading the entire mesh, which includes males as well. It’s the frizzier one, and on closer look it’s not bad as long as you don’t use neon colors.

http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/66236.html

Here’s the Missbonbon page, but it seems to be merely a journal.

http://missbonbon.dreamwidth.org/12433.html

@Deshong04’s first link leads to a Mod the Sims Dave Mustaine of Megadeth page, but you can’t get the hair. The second link seem to work, but I haven't tried downloading yet.

http://www.4shared.com/rar/uAmrkvwn/SAU-MYOS_fhair14_all-age.htm&showComments=true

Anyone familiar with these? I'll ask at MTS also.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    It's the same hair from Cazy. I just signed in with an email and then downloaded. The .package files match what I already have in my game.

This tool is always a must when downloading CC in .package form to check for corruptions, duplicates, etc: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006
    (However it may not be as accurate but still a great tool. For example I had an issue where content was conflicting but it never showed so I had to do a process of elimination of what I recently downloaded. In addition CC showing up as conflicts are fine only if it is conflicting with the same creator's content. Such as content from ATS3 conflicting with ATS3. You need to be able to read Delphy's Dashboard correctly to understand what is an issue or not.) Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This tool converts sims3packs into .package so if you prefer .packages over sims3packs. Or for checking the contents with Delphy's Dashboard before attempting to install the sims3pack in TS3 launcher. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=364038
    Certain content cannot function correctly as .package and I think that is lots unless it specifically goes into the library folder not the Mods folder.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    @astridentanja, I always thought the elders were a bit much, but the ingame elders in those pictures actually don’t look that bad. I thought a few of my Sims who are a bit older looked kind of right as elders, but I was horrified when I checked how my simself would look as an elder. I thought, I hope that I won’t look like that for another 15 years or so and decided to keep her as an adult for a longer period of time. 40, um, is the new 60? Later I decided that maybe I could think of these elders as being in their seventies and eighties, rather than 60. ;)

. . . which my sister, who doesn’t play Sims, thought was hilarious.
    Haha, don't worry, elders - like toddlers and children in the game - have very limited sliders, which causes them to all look very similar. At least, that's what I think causes this. Make-up helps for the females and dying their hair. Coloured or a better shade of grey than the game gives them. And I always make sure they get the eyebrows and haircut they had when they were young (because the game likes to replace those :/ ).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've had plenty of people tell me that my elders look so young because I give them a dye job. Funny thing is, they only get half of one; I use a duller version of their original hair color with white/grey streaks added in. It still makes a difference:

PUe4cLX.png

xocnDyn.png

Otherwise, I do style my elders to look a little more mature than they did as adults. Just a bit, though...I've had plenty of old ladies that still rocked miniskirts or shorts because they darn well could!

Your elders look great, by the way. :)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Since a guy on this page used a Batman Siggy.....

Screenshot-707_zpscjtcbqyq.jpg
    Screenshot-698_zpsgxfkz0qg.jpg
    Screenshot-705_zpsgie6ytmx.jpg
    Screenshot-697_zps5jpam871.jpg

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Deshong04. It's nice to know what you have and I'm so glad it's not lost. What are the advantages of .packages vs. sims3packs? Also, what is the difference between Dashboard and Custard? Should one always run both of them?

Thanks so much for your patience with all my newbie questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top