Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FEEDBACK on Get to Work: Tell us what you think

Comments

• Options
    RiekertpelserRiekertpelser Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi there. Since I got GTW my game keeps on freezing to a black screen a few minutes in play. When this happens I can't do anything, I have to power of my pc. I spoke to technical support and did everything they told me to. Still I have the same problem. Please help me to fix it so I can get enough playing time to give my honest opinion on GTW.
  • Options
    rookitrookit Posts: 7 New Member
    I've placed some bakeries from the Gallery into my neighbourhood but every time I visit them they are closed and nobody is there. I can't figure out why this is? I thought they would be run via NPCs like the camera shop is.
  • Options
    rookitrookit Posts: 7 New Member
    > @bekahdewar said:
    > Not happy
    > I preorder it download it and cant see the writing for anything to do with the expansions
    > I just want to play but its hard when you dont know whats what
    > Doesnt even come up when you go in the description of the jobs

This isn't an issue with the expansion. I had this same issue a few months ago. I believe you have to force Origin to update your Sims game via moving some folders around - sorry, I can't remember the specifics but if you Google the issue you will find the solution like I did!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,397 Member
    rookit wrote: »
    I've placed some bakeries from the Gallery into my neighbourhood but every time I visit them they are closed and nobody is there. I can't figure out why this is? I thought they would be run via NPCs like the camera shop is.

That's because the people that upload the bakeries forgot to set stuff for sale and open it. I wish we could get a tutorial stickied for that so that people will remember to set stuff for sale and open before they upload.

• Options
    DaniJ89DaniJ89 Posts: 3 New Member
    My game keeps crashing when I try to go to work with my sim who has a Science career and I also no longer have the option to buy books from the bookshelf. Has anyone else had any similar issues and any tips on how to fix this?
  • Options
    DaniJ89DaniJ89 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Riekertpelser said:
    > Hi there. Since I got GTW my game keeps on freezing to a black screen a few minutes in play. When this happens I can't do anything, I have to power of my pc. I spoke to technical support and did everything they told me to. Still I have the same problem. Please help me to fix it so I can get enough playing time to give my honest opinion on GTW.
    This is what is happening with me.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I love this EP! I normally don't really play the game, I write stories with it and my sims are more like actors that I direct--but now, I'm really enjoying the gameplay! I've played with aliens and the scientist career so far. I LOVE both <3 Interactive careers are what I've wanted in the Sims forever, and I'm thrilled! I can't wait to get back in game and try out the detective, doctor and retail careers!!!

Alien abduction is awesome! I love the design of the space ship and the energy beam--very reminds me of a jellyfish. Aliens in disguise are perfect for doing a Sci-Fi story without the aliens walking through casual scenes!!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I'm very disappointed we can't take pics of the selfies on the wall for story telling. They don't show in screenshots. I'm assuming this is more of a bug issue because in TS3 we could take pics of the selfies and they would go into screenshots.

I'm sure this can be patched.
    We can Cat see.
    10410427_10206522910736079_8337444287993938301_n.jpg?oh=4a38e534f890136b330e357e1cd9f84e&oe=55B1EE27&__gda__=1437383634_53b84c0369a3af6b99808eadbebd2e40

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    edited April 2015
    Here are my first impressions of gameplay focusing on retail, as that and photography are the main reasons I bought this EP.

I know that Get to Work isn't Open for Business (Sims 2). But OFB was awesome. I'm not alone in thinking that it was the best EP in the entire Sims franchise. I would have been really, really happy to have an exact clone of all of OFB's functionality for retail businesses. I knew I wasn't going to get it, but I'm just putting that out there.

So my initial experience running a store in GTW was - just OK. I had two Sims sell furniture and sculptures crafted from the woodbench, along with a few microscope prints. I decided to restock manually from inventory rather than creating copies that sold for a fraction of the profit, and would require in-game time to restock. I set my markup to "normal" and easily made thousands of simoleons a day from the start. (This was a well-established Sim family with high-level skills and over a hundred thousand in cash to spare.)

If I weren't spoiled by OFB I'm sure I would enjoy the retail experience more. But there are just too many things I miss:

- Pricing/markup per item. I don't like having to set the same markup store-wide when it takes just as long to ring up a 100 simoleon item as an item that costs 5000. It makes me not want to stock as wide a variety of items as I would like.

- Business ranks. I have no goal to reach. No reporter coming in to give a good or bad review. No customer loyalty to maintain. I'm just there to make money, basically, which this particular Sim family doesn't even need.

- Talent badges for sales, cashier, and restocking. I can earn perks for faster checkouts and restocking, but I preferred needing employees that gained skill in these areas. (After reading many reports of how much hired employees slack off, I have yet to hire any; I'm just using my own family members for now.)

- Cash register functions. The tablet is cute I guess, but having a useless cash register there only to signal that the lot is a store is pretty pointless to me. All of the functions it has can be accessed through the UI anyway. I also miss the open/closed sign from OFB.

Other annoyances:

- Every time a Sim buys something they say the exact same thing when asking to be rung up. ("What value! What style!" or whatever) Could you maybe come up with a couple of different stock phrases for amusement's sake.

- Too much chit-chat in general. This is game-wide from the start, not just in GTW. I hate that Sims are always, always getting into lengthy group conversations with strangers, everywhere. I hate that I have to manually cancel my Sim out of a group conversation that he didn't initiate, in order for him to ring up a waiting customer. It's really annoying.

- There isn't a good indication of what a Sim is going to buy. Once I thought a Sim was going to buy one of my priciest statues because they were standing near it and had it in their thought bubble, so I spent a lot of energy targeting sales socials at them in particular. Then when they were ready to check out, they walked to a much less pricey object on the other side of the store.

Despite all this criticism, I don't think this is a bad EP. Just having really loved OFB, I think it could have been so much better.
  • Options
    JCStormy1JCStormy1 Posts: 67 Member
    I, too, am really enjoying this EP. I love the opportunity to have a "goal" to try to achieve within a career at the actual job, rather than staying up until 2am to accomplish something when work begins at 8am (for example). What I would like, though, is the ability to have CAS have my level uniforms, for doctor at least, available so that I can actually dress myself rather than some gads-awful mish-mash of colors random generation dumps on my sim when she gets to work.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it so far and once I got the Orgin problem cleared up, it runs smoothly... though the orgin problem made me lose 7 months of saves.
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    edited April 2015
    Thank you for asking.

It is really hard to define what I enjoy in this game, because it gives you something that could be grand, but when you get to explore it it lacks so much in depth and creativity.

I love the idea of retails and wanted a bookshop, a photo studio, art gallery, clothing boutique, a bakery, a store with fish and harvestables, and a shop with woodworking. I actually prepared my sims for these retail businesses, but if you count them they are 7 and the available lots are 4. Instead of playing I spent a half of the day planning how to combine these to fit them into the worlds. I had to, for example, remake the gym in Willow Creek into a bookshop and bakery. If it actually works is yet to been seen. This has been a real headache. What I would have needed, after the almost impossible task of combining several retails, was at least one more lot in the MP neighborhood. I am so dumbfounded about the restrictions that there is not even room for sadness or disappointed in me. I just don't understand why give players so many possibilities but at the same time restricting them to the absurd (4 lots and no home retail option)? Also, I wanted to have some of my specific (unemployed) sims to work in the retail. There should be an ability to put a sim up for available retail job list, so that other sims can choose that sim if they open a retail. I play with more than 50 sims and don't care for townies. My played sims are my town and I want the possibility to hire particular sims. Weren't we supposed to be able to tell our own story? Well, right now I have one sim that I want to be hired at the art gallery, because she is an aspiring artist and loves art, but don't have many opportunities in life. I want my rich painter sim that owns the posh art gallery to hire her. But I can't do that. There is not much I can do in this game if I want to tell a very specific story.

When I gave up the work of building and rebuilding retails, I tried photography just to have some fun, finally. The makeup in the new CAS indicated that we could have some high fashion modeling possibilities for the photo shoots (I was not the only one thinking that). However, I could not assign makeup nor outfit to my models while I played with my photographer sim. So basically I could only take photos of random sims in their usual attire... When I tried to use all possible cheats to make my vision come true I did manage to take some amazing photos (for example close ups of the metallic makeup), but the result was blurry even in the large photos (my sim had level 5 photo skill and the best camera). So the excitement that I felt standing behind the camera and the details that I though I had captured, were completely wasted. I should have looked before taking those 50 serious photos, wasting six hours of my sleep... Also, the photos that I thought looked best (despite the blur) was randomly labeled as poor by the game, and I had to delete them. Not good. The paint from reference is even worse. It is absolutely impossible to paint a normal looking portrait.

I am amazed at how little CAS parts we got for the money we payed. I am still checking if I have missed anything. Never had to do that before. The luxury clothing boutique in MP is not very exciting to own because there are no new fancy clothes or shoes. The bohemian styled clothes are very pretty, but my only bohemian sim took all the outfits and my preppy/fancy sims in those big houses still wear the same dress and look very similar to each other. The punky hair is cool, but I only have one punky female sim.. (when an apartment/city life expansion comes with a little "darker" neighborhood I will gladly make more bohemian and punky sims). I don't use custom content and have been waiting for a store or an expansion pack (or at least a color wheel) to dress my sims, but it isn't happening. I would really like to know how the future of the sims 4 looks like, because this is my biggest hobby and I put a lot of time on planning my sims and their relationships (that by the way get destroyed by progression that I can't tick off), and what we are given now not nearly fulfills my expectations. Should I continue to put so much effort into the planning and game play, or give it up? I have enjoyed all previous series and have been a loyal and very quiet fan until very recently. I am also worried about the humor of this game that dehumanizes the sims almost completely (a good example: the sims brain I saw in the trailer). That is just too much, in my opinion. When I first started to play the sims, I loved how it wanted to simulate life. They weren't dolls to me, like they are to me now. I find myself feeling annoyed playing the sims 4, despite trying desperately to love it. The hard work of EA staff is obvious (fantastic build mode, high quality CAS, the worlds are beautiful, the sims look amazing, except for spaghetti teenagers) but the direction (the neighborhood system, focus on emotions, lack of creative options, progression etc) of the game is off according to many fans including me. Your project leader should really take a deep dive into the forum and really try to understand what the fans want.

/A huge fan from Sweden
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    SMatthewMSMatthewM Posts: 1 New Member
    I am playing the doctor part of the new sims 4 get to work expansion pack. So far I am doing the doctor and I have to say, I was loving the idea at first but now find myself frustrated. First off, you need to add a greet patient feature because sure, you can friendly introduce yourself but now my sim knows everyone and cannot complete the quest to greet 3 new patients a day. Maybe you expected others to be pormoted by then, but here is another issue. My sim only has one doctor it seems. I haven't seen any other doctor in this game. The doctor himself is a problem. He tends to leave when he wants to. Also I have to sweet talk him before he takes a dang "transfer patient" feature else it just vanishes. Time is precious because it is hard as heck to finish all you have to do with in one day. Sure, I could cheat and promote her, but the issue is I shouldn't have to cheat.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't understand the whole retail thing my sims hire employee's and they don't even show up to work.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    I sent a Sim to work at the Science Center for the first time this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but if anything, it was too short. I play with Motives set to static so that my Sim doesn't have to be bothered tending to his/her needs. But still, the time there was too short, even after allowing him to stay late. Please let us have the option to stay at work even longer. Thank you!

Edited to add: I'd also like the option to go into work early. That would help.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    edited April 2015
    (Copied from another thread, it would obviously benefit more from being in this thread!)

- I really like what I've played so far. The detective career has been an enjoyable experience, although I'm scared to run into game-breaking bugs I've been reading about. Oh, and when all of the computers break in a single day, going out on patrol is a nice escape from that horrible noise they make, LOL.

- I've enjoyed running a clothing store with Bella, although I find that way too many customers flock to the store at once! o_o It was really hard to manage everything, especially with my star employee just sitting there talking to her husband all the time. -_-

- I'm really sad that customers won't stick around and eat at any of my future bakeries. ): I don't want them all to stay and eat but just throwing out a couple tables and having a few of them enjoy that yummy donut would've been nice.

- I enjoy the new build and buy objects. I feel like I am able to create great retail spaces. I am deeply disappointed with only 4 new lots though. It's just pathetic and this is the first thing I would address. We need a NEW WORLD.

- I would also have loved the ability to have a home business, with locked doors. It's hard to start a business with a brand new Sim. I don't like cheating and feel kinda limited. Like I have to get a traditional job before I can have a business. Maybe make buying a retail space act more like a loan. A weekly mortgage payment or something? Lol.

With some bug fixes and improvements this expansion could easily be 10/10.

Edit: I forgot about photography! Love it! Nothing much to change about it. I'm happy with all of the filters and that there are three different camera so all of the options are not available right away. I like having that sense of progression. We could use that for other things, like a cheaper piano. :P
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    You asked for feedback. Currently I don't have anything good...

I pre-ordered the Sims 4 Get to Work and was able to download my game on 3/31. Imagine my surprise when I opened the game and found that the new neighborhood provides absolutely no homes are even the ability to create any. It simply has three pre-done businesses and 1 empty retail lot. We can't even live in this new world. I have done my best to hang in here with this brand. I have loved Sims from the beginning and although Sims 4 was a huge let down I tried to stick with it. You don't give us the things that were basic in the prior game versions, you don't give us large neighborhoods or the ability to expand them or create new worlds. We can't even live in the Outdoor world only visit. Everyone said I was crazy for not giving up after you released Sims 4, but I understood new platforms take time. I was patient, but my patience has worn out. To add insult to injury you didn't even provide the option of a game guide so we could figure it out; how are we a detective with no police station in any world, a doctor but no hospital? If Sims 4 wasn't ready to truly add value to the brand why did you rush it? I am beyond upset, I am so very disappointed. I can't believe no one stopped to think about giving us the things you made us fall in love with over the years. My expectations were low because Sims 4 is new but really no new neighborhood, still no way to add a world; nope just kill off my current families or evict them if I want to play with new ones. Do you not see the problem with that? Sims fans have been posting on social media and writing. We've been letting you know what we want, what we expect and yet again you failed to deliver. I had hoped to get some of the old great things back we lost way back in Sims 2 and Sims 3; Sims 4 was supposed to be so much better, superior than the prior platforms. I accepted that my babies go from infant to elementary, although the best part was the toddler years with the training, I let go of pets and seasons, I even let go of not being able to create additional worlds/neighborhoods; I was OK that you couldn't have a full on restaurant, but not having a full useable neighborhood that is not alright. That is mediocre and for all our money spent on this franchise and all the years I deserve more, we all deserve more. The BIG Question is will you even care or respond?

Let me try and answer some of your questions.
    • You can live in Magnolia Promenade. You simply have to change the Lot type from Retail to Residential (through the Lot Info Panel). You can also live on your Retail Lot as long as you also have keep one Sim living in your main home Lot. There are quite a few players experimenting with that and you can read about their experiences over here.
    • The Police Station, Hospital and Science Lab are part of the world but you can only visit them if you pursue the appropriate career. The exception to this is if you have a pregnant Sim. They can visit the hospital to give birth.
    • I can't speak to future content plans in specific detail but I can tell you that The Sims 4 is a living game experience and we will be adding content over time. You can see what we have already added to the game since the launch in this thread here.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    The cakes in the game only fit into a few slots on the bakery racks. I can fill the racks with other foods, but only 4 cakes will fit and only in specific spots. Very annoying because I wanted to fill one case with all of the available cakes.

Other than that, I'll reiterate that customers are way too social. They shouldn't behave like they're at a social event. They should be focused more on browsing and shopping; that's what they're there for, right?
  • Options
    ladymystikal6ladymystikal6 Posts: 17 Member
    i don't have any descriptions or words come up on my retail window(the little cash machine in the bottom right hand corner). instead of words like items sold, outgoing costs, retail funds, perks points etc i just have a mixture of numbers and letters so i have NO idea what im pressing half the time. REALLY annoying. Also with my scientific career my notebook doesn't work either.
  • Options
    mazhylismazhylis Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2015
    so far ive been playing only doctor , and i really hate how process is going in hospital ..
    1st of all patients come and assistant is just sits in his chair talks via phone or sitshapilly , and patients are standing/queueing in groups. Nurse is doing nothing aswell , she stands in the corner and thats it,sometimes she goes to patients on the bed just to talk to them, she doesnt give medicine or anything . The doctor always doing something, testing (i dont know what exacly) . I dont think doctor is doing his job right. patients on bed are dying, and hes not even coming to them to heal them. I MUST DO BY MYSELF !!!!! that is frustrating.. I was expecting to see actual hospital , where nurse checks how patients are/ or shows them way to bed. doctors would actually heal the patients, help them, BUT NOT BY MYSELF EVERYTHING !!!!!!

I believe same will be with scientists and detectives... all i have to do by myself. it doesnt feel like im actually in hospital, i dont feel that enviroment and proccess which we have in hospitals in real life.

I also went to 3 retails , in new town, and was shocked to see that small world, 4 lots , 3 shops... i was expecting to see hospital there, police station, scientists lab, bakery and actually homes to live in that world.... but anyway. I went to shops , and i was not happy, the cashier just left her spot, and went to a small group of sims, to join their talking.. really ?. nobody assisted me like in Sims 2 OFB, nobody actually restoked the tables,clothing which i bought, like nobody cares. every sim went to retail - just to have chat, none of nonplayable sims bought nothing ! its awful ....

sorry for english if its really bad :D
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    There is plenty of content in this EP, loads of things to do and to discover. The idea of making a joint EP for 2 different old EP concepts is great, I hope you do more like that in the future.

There is nevertheless many things that need/should have been added or improved:

-The employees are very lazy in general, no matter if they are very satisfied working for you, no matter how high their work ethics are.
    -The other doctors in the doctor careers don't seem to greet patients so beds will be empty and patients will be queuing by reception.
    -At the hospital, I happen to have the same patients every day, this happens also in my shop where I always have the exact same customers over and over. It just feels monotonous and too robotic.
    -I don't understand why we can't take pictures of an adult and a child together specially when if you use the friendly "take picture together" they'll do the actual gesture so the animation is kind of there already. (probably is not as easy as I put it but still, I really feel is needed)
    -Also regarding the photography skill, I am very disappointed on the fact that pictures are for a maximum of 2 sims and that you can't change even their poses (as long as I know).
    -I feel that Magnolia Promenade is a wasted area, nothing really special on the common areas, just the same old things,fishing spots, a couple of benches and a bbq space, some kid's stuffs and that's about it, or am I missing something?
    -Way too many abductions, in a sim week my sim has gotten abducted 3 times, it's getting a bit annoying. Abductions are supposed to be something rare.
    I haven't really played the other 2 careers much so I can't comment on them.

I hope some of this issues can be addressed somehow, thanks very much for listening.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    qrlcodeqrlcode Posts: 532 Member
    rookit wrote: »

That's because the people that upload the bakeries forgot to set stuff for sale and open it. I wish we could get a tutorial stickied for that so that people will remember to set stuff for sale and open before they upload.

@catloverplayer Sorry for the slightly-OT reply but this is really good to know - thank you CLP.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Also, now that you need to travel so often with your sims, the "testingcheats on" should keep active when travelling to other lots or when going to CAS and coming back. Since I have this EP, I feel the need even more.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    lauraf_1986lauraf_1986 Posts: 27 New Member
    I love it! Lots of content and things. However, I'm having some weird bugs with my kitchen. My sim wasn't able to cook. That seems to have fixed itself when I ran a game repair, but now I am having trouble with the inventory. The patient samples from the Doctor career can't be destroyed and sometimes it has some weird graphic scroll down or up thing where it leaves a huge space but I can't scroll to see the rest of my inventory. I don't know how else to explain it :) Overall, it has been insanely good tho! Keep it up :D gimme some toddlers now and story progression! Generations xpack next? :wink: I'm rdy!
  • Options
    zoey10189stzoey10189st Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2015
    I believe you should try to complete the base game before you make additions (That cost extra money.) Just my opinion. Hope their is more free content to come. BTW i'm aware this comment will not do/change anything, so no need to tell me.
  • Options
    MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited April 2015
    NatKingSim wrote: »
    I am amazed at how little CAS parts we got for the money we payed. I am still checking if I have missed anything. Never had to do that before.

Get To Work has more new unique CAS items than any expansion pack released for any The Sims Game.

I counted:
    • 6 alien outfits.
    • 16 new shoes.
    • 17 new accessories.
    • 19 unique new hair styles.
    • 43 clothing items (bottoms + full-body+ tops)
    • 79 new make-up items.

180 New CAS items.

You don't need to look for them. You can use CAS filters to show only Get To Work items.

Here they are:

nzhqw7.jpg
    2vw8nmh.jpg
    27x1lok.jpg

I hope that is helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top