Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Living" in Magnolia Promenade

I mentioned this elsewhere, but thought I'd share it here for others to see. The first time I booted up GTW I d/l'd a lovely dress shop with a 2nd floor. I modified the 2nd floor to be a complete apartment, fully furnished and stocked. The Sim who bought the dress shop hasn't been back to a "regular" world since he left his old house.

So yes, it's fully possible to live in MP (in case you were wondering) :)

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Are customers wandering up there?
  • Options
    JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

The shop has been open for 7 sim days and, so far, no one has left the store to go up there.
  • Options
    RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    edited April 2015
    Or you can just change one of the lots to residential and they probably do @fullspiral
    Post edited by RoyaiChaos on
  • Options
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »
    Or you can just change one of the lots to residential and they probably due @fullspiral

Umm, what?
  • Options
    MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    In fact, you can make any lot there residential, if you wish.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Jonalin wrote: »

The shop has been open for 7 sim days and, so far, no one has left the store to go up there.

So even though it's just a clothing shop they don't go up to eat or use the bathroom? Or go to the computer?
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    It's true, you can live in MP but you need to make the Lot residential. If you decide to live on a retail Lot, then you will need to visit your residential home once in a while to pay bills, as that would remain as your primary residence.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options

So even though it's just a clothing shop they don't go up to eat or use the bathroom? Or go to the computer?

It seems her experience is that they do not.
  • Options
    @SimGuruBChick

The lot my Sim lives on in MP is not marked "residential". It is marked as "retail" (as shown below). He has not traveled back to his old house since he purchased the retail store. He lives above it and I haven't had any issues with bill paying. Now, it could be that the bills just have not been delivered to his original home yet (I may be on the cusp of this right now, I'll let you know once I'm in game) but there are other factors as well. His wife remains at their original home and cares for herself. She goes to work and maintains the home. If the bill notice does arrive at the retail store, I will see if he can pay them from his cellphone. There is also the cheat option of households.autopay_bills true.

GTW1_zpshdthpmnk.jpg

@fullspiral and @MarianneSimmer

No, I have not had any customers go upstairs. This could be due to several reasons:
    • there is no computer anywhere on the property (upstairs or in the store)
    • there are bathrooms in the store itself
    • the stairs to his apartment are outside and in the back, the opposite of the store's front door

GTW5_zpshqnibwzl.jpg
    GTW4_zpsiowokdce.jpg

The game loads and plays normally, even though he is living in MP.

GTW2_zps6t3tcaou.jpg
    GTW3_zpspp2edzr1.jpg
  • Options
    brigittecayerbrigittecayer Posts: 42 Member
    That's really awesome thanks for sharing! :)
  • Options
    siminscsiminsc Posts: 854 Member
    @SimGuruBChick

The lot my Sim lives on in MP is not marked "residential". It is marked as "retail" (as shown below). He has not traveled back to his old house since he purchased the retail store. He lives above it and I haven't had any issues with bill paying. Now, it could be that the bills just have not been delivered to his original home yet (I may be on the cusp of this right now, I'll let you know once I'm in game) but there are other factors as well. His wife remains at their original home and cares for herself. She goes to work and maintains the home. If the bill notice does arrive at the retail store, I will see if he can pay them from his cellphone. There is also the cheat option of households.autopay_bills true.

GTW1_zpshdthpmnk.jpg

No, I have not had any customers go upstairs. This could be due to several reasons:
    • there is no computer anywhere on the property (upstairs or in the store)
    • there are bathrooms in the store itself
    • the stairs to his apartment are outside and in the back, the opposite of the store's front door

GTW5_zpshqnibwzl.jpg
    GTW4_zpsiowokdce.jpg

The game loads and plays normally, even though he is living in MP.

GTW2_zps6t3tcaou.jpg
    GTW3_zpspp2edzr1.jpg

I love your shops! Have you uploaded them to the Gallery?

• Options
    Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    @SimGuruBChick

What a stunning shop! I love the outside!
  • Options
    @siminsc and @jaysim88 Thanks so much for your lovely compliments on the shop, but I can't take any credit for it :) (I only *wish* I was as talented as the creators/builders in our community!)

I d/l'd the shop from artguyx20 and modified it to suit my needs (like adding the apartment on the 2nd floor). I love this shop and am so happy he created it :)

shop_zpsujxnvxwo.jpg
  • Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    @Jonalin thanks for sharing.
    new.png
  • Options
    misty4m wrote: »
    @Jonalin thanks for sharing.

My pleasure! :)
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    It's true, you can live in MP but you need to make the Lot residential. If you decide to live on a retail Lot, then you will need to visit your residential home once in a while to pay bills, as that would remain as your primary residence.

Jup, sad but true. So we need to waste a lot in order to live at our store.

I would love to see Home businesses return sooner or later though. That was my favorite OFB aspect! Maybe the Sims team can make it work in the future.

The worlds are already way too small, and wasting a lot because you want to live with your business is not so intuitive and tactile if you ask me. I think adding home businesses will contribute to the sandbox model even more. This way we can also do other stuff when one of our Sims is running the store without having to switch back with loadingscreens in between all the time.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Wow, thank you! I was hoping I could do this at some point! I could just make a little vacant lot in WC, like for my homeless Sims already then buy them a store in MP and then just live there right? and run my business whenever I feel like it. This is great news to me. I may do that since I have a few homeless Sims living on vacant lots in WC already.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »

Jup, sad but true. So we need to waste a lot in order to live at our store.

I would love to see Home businesses return sooner or later though. That was my favorite OFB aspect! Maybe the Sims team can make it work in the future.

The worlds are already way too small, and wasting a lot because you want to live with your business is not so intuitive and tactile if you ask me. I think adding home businesses will contribute to the sandbox model even more. This way we can also do other stuff when one of our Sims is running the store without having to switch back with loadingscreens in between all the time.

@rudy8292 not sure if you read what I wrote up above? The shop that my sim is living above is not designated as "residential". It's a retail lot.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Wow, thank you! I was hoping I could do this at some point! I could just make a little vacant lot in WC, like for my homeless Sims already then buy them a store in MP and then just live there right? and run my business whenever I feel like it. This is great news to me. I may do that since I have a few homeless Sims living on vacant lots in WC already.

@Cinebar I can only speak to my own experiences, but as I've said... my sim is living on a retail lot. I'd love to see what you create with your homeless sims/store options :)
  • Options
    I haven't done much to decorate it yet, but here is a photo of his apartment above the store...

GTW6_zpsxpml0gjj.jpg
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Why not put all of your shop owners on one lot. They all would live above their stores and you could switch between running different stores.
  • Options
    @Jonalin I love the remodeling you did on your shop.
  • Options
    WakeMeUpInParisWakeMeUpInParis Posts: 8 New Member
    Very nice!
  • Options
    white_lily_1988white_lily_1988 Posts: 1,664 Member
    I love your Store!
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    @SimGuruBChick @Jonalin Just FYI you do not have to go back to your home lot to pay the bills they are delivered at home you will get the message that you have bills but you can pay them from the phone i have done this myself from a retail lot.