Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you kaching?

Ever since I discovered my BFF Rosebud in TS1, I've always played with money cheat. I still remember fondly the day I found out there was a money cheat in TS1. It's like the heavens opened and angels sang in 4-part harmony in 5.1 surround sound while I wept tears of delirious joy. It's bad enough having to worry about kaching in real life, but that doesn't mean my Sims should have to worry about having the good things in life too.

And then came the freerealestate cheat in TS3 which made affording that blinged out McMansion even easier.

Now with TS4, I find myself wanting to build budget starter homes so I can try playing without cheats. Not sure how long I'm going to last but I think I'll give it a shot.

Is motherlode your BFF? Are there any cheats you can't play without? Or are you a strictly cheat-nono kinda Simmer?

Comments

• Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I think I used it once. I prefer to just start out with the basics and have my Sims work their way up. It seems more satisfying to me. If I use a money cheat at all these days, it's to take them down to zero for challenges.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I cannot play without three:
    Motherlode (well it's sometimes ...)
    Freerealestate

And my number 1:
    CAS edit.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

No but I canoe!

Most of the cheats I used were for building or removing the plumbbob. :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2015
    I've only used cash cheats in Sims 4 once, when I was feeling super-ultra lazy about repairing a broken computer. I'd definitely use it for paying the doublestuffed bills if they arrived while I was in Granite Falls, but that hasn't happened to me yet. The reason I don't use it is that part of my personal gameplay is having Sims use only their base money or earned money*; it's a challenge I enjoy.

*Edit! Just thought of an exception, where I recently pretended that a Sim had inherited her (deleted-by-me-earlier) parents' house, but I used the freerealestate cheat for that. She's never going to be able to afford to stay there, which is the storyline I wanted to play with her.

My can't-play-without "cheats" (= provided-on-purpose tools that don't have UI links) are cas.fulleditmode and freerealestate.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    too fun :) you remind me when i discovered the moveobject cheat for the first time. i think i played almost a year without it, life changer i tell ya!

and i too years ago was heavy into money cheats but found i lost part of the thrill if i made everything instantly affordable so i actually havent used money cheats in most of my games for some time. i will say my very first game for 4 i did allow a couple of motherlode cheats i just wanted to try stuff fast :) but ive gone back to no cheats. and it can be painful at times but i enjoy my games longer the more i work for the stuff.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I'm a BIG MOO fan, love cas.edit and yes, an occasional kaching. My sims come out of CAS and get a bonus of 1 motherlode to spend on house and furnishings. Well, maybe a little more because I move them into a starter to give them the motherlode and then we go house hunting, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    I KACHING a few times to keep from getting things repossessed, and Free Real Estate is of course a boon at times, like creating worlds and populating the houses. :(
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Posts: 295 Member
    My sims are always terrible at making money, but I can somehow never bring myself to money cheat. I live in the default furnished houses for the longest bloody time before I start buying anything. It's kind of the way I prefer it (starting with nothing of your own), but it does get a little tedious, too, when you play like I do (i.e., creating new Sims all the time and starting from scratch).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    Before TS4 I used to motherlode everything unless I intentionally played a broke family for story purposes. In my latest family, I started from scratch and earned enough money to build a really nice home. It's really big and spacious and I was able to buy most of the furnishings I wanted. I have really enjoyed it and I would definitely play this way again. Motherloding seems so boring now lol.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    I have some big families in big houses and they can't always pay the bills at first so I motherlode and consider it a loan. Also freerealestate is essential to add new families at times.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,578 Member
    I will sometimes rely on the money cheats. But I was a huge fan of the FreeRealEstate cheat in TS3. I haven't been able to get it to work in Sims4, however, so I've reverted to the motherlode. Hey, nobody can buy a house straight out these days, that's why most of us have mortgages! I view motherlode as the 'mortgage', if you will.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I will sometimes rely on the money cheats. But I was a huge fan of the FreeRealEstate cheat in TS3. I haven't been able to get it to work in Sims4, however, so I've reverted to the motherlode. Hey, nobody can buy a house straight out these days, that's why most of us have mortgages! I view motherlode as the 'mortgage', if you will.

It's now "freerealestate on", which might be why it's not working for you :) (The change is confusing for sure!)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    rudolpha wrote: »
    I have some big families in big houses and they can't always pay the bills at first so I motherlode and consider it a loan. Also freerealestate is essential to add new families at times.
    oh i would love an option for big loans! used nraas option in 3 and it would be fun if we could take out a mortgage :)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
  • Options
    paramournparamourn Posts: 375 Member
    I don't cheat. I feel that it takes away from the game and makes it too easy and boring. My Sims have to work for their fancy tvs!
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I haven't money cheated since TS1 when it comes to the family I intend to play.

I will use the money cheat though to move sims that I don't intend to play into houses I build in my neighborhood that they wouldn't be able to afford off the bat otherwise.
  • Options
    HappyGirlHappyGirl Posts: 36 Member
    I typically cheat when I start up a new family. I get all the basics they need then don't use the money cheat again. I like to see them start off struggling a bit then by the time they are elders they are usually pretty comfortable financially. It makes it seem a bit more real life that way..
  • Options
    YourraxusYourraxus Posts: 282 Member
    I can't play without cheating. I really used to it since I was playing TS2.
  • Options
    JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    edited March 2015
    KatsKats wrote: »
    I think I used it once. I prefer to just start out with the basics and have my Sims work their way up. It seems more satisfying to me. If I use a money cheat at all these days, it's to take them down to zero for challenges.

Me too, I think it better to use nothing, just say if my sim needed to exercise I just take him to the gym or if he needs to read books to upgrade his skills then take him to the library. That makes the game more fun then having everything handed to you.
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    rudolpha wrote: »
    oh i would love an option for big loans! used nraas option in 3 and it would be fun if we could take out a mortgage :)

Yeah a mortgage option would be awesome so you have to still work for that money or the bank will be after you.

• Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Yes, I use money cheats from time to time. I don't use motherlode, though, but "only" kaching, freerealestate and cheats like familyfunds.
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    It really depends on the game I'm playing. I tend to set up rules for my different families and the stories I'm playing at the time. Some games I'll cheat for everything, some games I won't cheat at all.

And I still remember the day my sister told me about the Make All Happy cheat when I was playing TS2. It was literally game changing for me. :D
    giphy.gif

• Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    I used to money cheat in Sims 1 to build huge houses but I eventually figured out it made the game really boring so I stopped. Now I almost never money cheat. I used the freerealestate recently in Sims 4 because I needed to move a sim into a house and was out of starter homes (need MOAR lots!) and I have used kaching in Sims 2 because Jane Stacks literally could not afford the cheapest apartment I could find (I use no20khandout).
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    It depends. Most of the time I start with the game granted funds or less. But there´s times when money cheats come in handy for setting up specific campaigns, reflecting changes in the world or simply adjusting the difficulty level you want to play at.
    I prefer the cheat "money" (followed by the exact amount I want the household to have), as it gives me more control over how much exactly the sims get.
  • Options
    Kendra326Kendra326 Posts: 515 Member
    In general I do use cheats pretty often. I use 'motherlode' the most lol. But lately I've been playing a 5-member family (the one in my sig) and I can't keep up with them so they're all happy all the time so I've been using testingcheats true and 'make happy' lol.