Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any feedback on how The Sims 4 is running on Mac??

Comments

• Options
    yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    @Bluebellflora Thanks for letting me know. I was worried there was something wrong with my settings. :'(
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    yunagarnet wrote: »
    @Bluebellflora Thanks for letting me know. I was worried there was something wrong with my settings. :'(

No, it's just a bit more cartoony looking :|

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AcidfairyyyAcidfairyyy Posts: 45 Member
    Late 2013 15" retina, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M... can run Sims 4 on Ultra settings in Bootcamp no problem.
    In OS X, it's jittery on medium. What a shame! The panning is just so slow and jumpy it's unbelievable. Looks like I shan't be getting rid of Bootcamp :(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    yunagarnet wrote: »
    My game has been running fine but I've noticed that even though I'm playing with Ultra settings my game doesn't look like it to me:

bgGi18S.jpg
    ZMZUzOH.jpg
    I think it looks just fines. Cute sims also!
  • Options
    alyssaxxamazin19alyssaxxamazin19 Posts: 24 Member
    Right now my game is running flawlessly so far! i dont know what settings for graphics mine is on because i havent touched them since they installed.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    BimboBoy84 wrote: »
    I'm curious, will an official statement about bugs, patches ect be posted on this forum or is there another place to get news? Are the Sims staff on this board?

Would be comforting to know they are here and trying to solve these bugs. I haven't been very active on this forum until today, so that's why I'm asking. :) Thanks!

@SimGuruModSquad is really active on this forum over in the CC and Mods thread; already identified the problem with script mods crashing the game on Macs (and denied my generous offer of cookies as he said it was his goof). I'm sure other folks are monitoring @BluebellFlora's main help thread at the top of the Mac forum. We're already getting more response on issues than we did throughout the run of Sims 3. :)

I'm sure they'll include the Mac-specific information in the patch notes when patches are released.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CrystalShimmerCrystalShimmer Posts: 59 Member
    I'm downloading the game right now...sooo excited. I hope it does not lag because i'm going to be pretty depressed and I really don't want to bootcamp my computer.

Happy Simming guys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    Just Living Life One Day At A Time
  • Options
    ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    > @Acidfairyyy said:
    > Late 2013 15" retina, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M... can run Sims 4 on Ultra settings in Bootcamp no problem.
    > In OS X, it's jittery on medium. What a shame! The panning is just so slow and jumpy it's unbelievable. Looks like I shan't be getting rid of Bootcamp :(

What settings are you running at under OS X? I'm curious as to the resolution namely. Your 15" MBP has a native resolution of 2880x1800, though I would not recommend trying to run the game at that resolution. I would be willing to bet that Windows runs the game at half (1440x900), which is what I would try under OS X.

If you cannot play at the full resolution, half resolution is likely the next best because will not cause awful graphical artifacts being scaled up 2x. 1440x900 is still a good medium between 720p and 1080p resolutions. You should be able to increase the settings at that resolution as well.

If your UI is massive, try disabling Retina mode in Sims 4 and restarting.
  • Options
    conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    > @EliseFine93 said:
    > Noticed that some windows primarily plainer framed ones are working, but still the majority of the windows seem to be glazed with wood instead of glass :(

I'm having this exact same issue, but I have an Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @conday884‌, what Mac OS version are you running? Upgrading to Yosemite 10.10 solves many of the problems with the graphics cards.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > conday884‌, what Mac OS version are you running? Upgrading to Yosemite 10.10 solves many of the problems with the graphics cards.
    I am running on Yosemite (version: 10.10.2)
  • Options
    Hmmm.... EA has been made aware of the issues with that particular graphics card and they will be addressing it in the next few patches.
  • Options
    crazygrl32084crazygrl32084 Posts: 114 Member
    On my mac it actually runs better than on my PC which is shocking since Mac's aren't made for gaming as it is
    we're all mad here...
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    On my mac it actually runs better than on my PC which is shocking since Mac's aren't made for gaming as it is

Yeah I was seriously surprised. I can play on high settings though that might be because of laptop mode and no CC or Mods.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    since Mac's aren't made for gaming as it is

:#:#:#
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    CrystalShimmerCrystalShimmer Posts: 59 Member
    I have to say that my game runs smoothly and actually my game is on a portable usb device so i thought that i was going to have problems with this but the game runs just fine..now i'm waiting for the get to work expansion pack! :)
    Just Living Life One Day At A Time
  • Options
    MooPlaysGamesMooPlaysGames Posts: 27 New Member
    I'm waiting for the disc to come out. I feel like it's more trustworthy! I've come here to see if it's even worth buying, and I think I'm going to get it when the disc copy comes out!
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the disc to come out. I feel like it's more trustworthy! I've come here to see if it's even worth buying, and I think I'm going to get it when the disc copy comes out!

Is it not out yet?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

Is it not out yet?

I think they meant the disc that has the product code and you enter it into Origin. Although it wouldn't make much sense since you can just buy it straight from Origin. Unless they like to collect the discs.

But the disc won't work on Mac. The code will but not installing through the disc.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    MelymacMelymac Posts: 88 Member
    I thought they weren't releasing a disc version for MAC. I don;t see what the difference is really. Of course my mac doesn't have a disc drive, so no choice really:)
  • Options
    @Melymac‌, because Apple is no longer making Apple computers with disk drives that is the reason EA did not make Sims 4 available on a disk for the Mac OS. Makes sense really.
  • Options
    Ava_Rose86Ava_Rose86 Posts: 116 Member
    EAfan99 wrote: »

Is it not out yet?

I think they meant the disc that has the product code and you enter it into Origin. Although it wouldn't make much sense since you can just buy it straight from Origin. Unless they like to collect the discs.

But the disc won't work on Mac. The code will but not installing through the disc.

I like buying physical games & CDs.
    If I was to purchase the disc & use the code will it register on my mac?
    I ask because I have both the demo & free game from "gametime" yet neither one works on MAC now I'm nervous about buying the game :|
  • Options
    AcidfairyyyAcidfairyyy Posts: 45 Member
    > @ErikTheRod said:
    > If your UI is massive, try disabling Retina mode in Sims 4 and restarting.

Ooh, disabling retina made that resolution selectable, now it's running beautifully! Thank you!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ava_Rose86 wrote: »
    EAfan99 wrote: »

Is it not out yet?

I like buying physical games & CDs.
    If I was to purchase the disc & use the code will it register on my mac?
    I ask because I have both the demo & free game from "gametime" yet neither one works on MAC now I'm nervous about buying the game :|

If you have boot camp you can try it on there. If you purchase the mac "disk" it will obviously register on your mac lol. But there is no free trial/demo for mac.
    Post edited by sunshineandsimoleons on
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    So I must say I am pleasantly surprised with the performance so far, given the low performance expectations I had since playing Sims 3. I've been playing very heavily since the day after the Mac port came out, partly because our DSL modem died and we were offline for a couple of days, so I couldn't do my usual web surfing :-) Partly because of that, I disabled online play (I also don't care about displaying "achievements" or letting Maxis collect data on how often my Sims "Woohoo"). I was able to play the game as long as I left the Origin client open, even with our Internet offline.

I have a new Mac Mini (late 2014), 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris graphics (1536 MB), Yosemite 10.10.2. I've been playing on "high" graphic settings. No crashes and very little hanging so far, other than the loading screens going between lots (though I haven't timed them).