Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any feedback on how The Sims 4 is running on Mac??

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Ava_Rose86 wrote: »
    I like buying physical games & CDs.
    If I was to purchase the disc & use the code will it register on my mac?
    I ask because I have both the demo & free game from "gametime" yet neither one works on MAC now I'm nervous about buying the game :|

EA probably chose not to produce the Mac version on a disk as Apple no longer makes computers with a disk drive. However, if you purchased a physical disk be aware that the disk is intended for Windows OS and will not work on a Mac. The code however will work to allow you to register the game on Origin to allow you to download the game onto your Mac. Once the game is registered on Origin you can download to either a Windows machine or a Mac.

Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    MelymacMelymac Posts: 88 Member
    @Melymac‌, because Apple is no longer making Apple computers with disk drives that is the reason EA did not make Sims 4 available on a disk for the Mac OS. Makes sense really.

Yes i know:) hence why my laptop and iMac doesn't have one. But older ones pre-retina still have drives, but yea, theres no reason to make a disc for mac
  • Options
    I just got a weird glitch after playing for about 2 days now, not sure if its mac-related but one of my Sims will no longer go to work, it says he's there, but he doesn't leave the house, and I can't make him go to work. So far it hasn't affected his job performance but, still weird
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    No, that is a bug that has been around for a while in the PC version @Melymac. Sometimes too, they don't seem to come home from work/school. They are physically there but their portrait is greyed out. This has always fixed itself for me after the next work/school day.

Regarding the sim not going to work. I have had this happen but in my case, he was getting phone calls from work because he wasn't there. It doesn't sound like you have this problem though. That was a nightmare because there was no option to send him. He had to quit his job and start another job to get around it.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @Melymac‌, because Apple is no longer making Apple computers with disk drives that is the reason EA did not make Sims 4 available on a disk for the Mac OS. Makes sense really.

Uhhh...computers haven't had disk drives for several years now...computers are still being manufactured with optical drives, to read CDs and DVDs, and that's how games are delivered (as well as people able to watch movies and add music to their digital collections). More and more software is going the digital route, but not completely just yet.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    rickyvannrickyvann Posts: 5 New Member
    I was shocked at how well this runs on my MacBook (then again it's only 2 months old!), but even on my iMac (late 2010) it works alright - only if settings are at medium. I prefer using it on my MacBook as it's speedy and no actual issues or graphical lags :-)
  • Options

Uhhh...computers haven't had disk drives for several years now...computers are still being manufactured with optical drives, to read CDs and DVDs, and that's how games are delivered (as well as people able to watch movies and add music to their digital collections). More and more software is going the digital route, but not completely just yet.

I think we both meant CD drives, not floppy discs. Macs no longer have cd drives at all. Sorry for the confusion. I forgot actual disks existed.
  • Options
    Dvds123Dvds123 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 2015
    The Sims 4 on Mac runs perfectly, I was able to play for 8 straight hours. I had no lag at all. It runs way better than the sims 3 for mac! :D
  • Options
    stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2015
    Ok, after changing some settings it seems like trying to play full screen with a retina mac on high settings isn't going to work well for me. When I play in windowed mode I can play on ultra settings just like in bootcamp with no lag. I play windowed mode with only the menu bar and gray bar taking up part of the screen. When I play in full screen mode I can't even play on medium settings without lag with the retina setting on. I'm not sure why it is so slow and laggy in the full screen setting. My whole computer becomes slow in full screen mode. When I play in windowed mode, everything is normal.
  • Options
    crazygrl32084crazygrl32084 Posts: 114 Member
    Only complaint I have is that the fan can get really loud after a bit.. Other than that it generally works like a gem...
    we're all mad here...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Melymac wrote: »

I think we both meant CD drives, not floppy discs. Macs no longer have cd drives at all. Sorry for the confusion. I forgot actual disks existed.

Well, that's news to me -- guess my 2011 iMac was one of the last with CD/DVD drives. Looks like if I get a new laptop I'll either have to go with a Windows model or get an external DVD player to hook up via USB -- I have several DVDs that are not available for streaming and those that are I don't want to have to buy again, but I'd like to be able to watch them on a laptop when I'm traveling or taking a break from homework. :/
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    You can buy after market CD/DVD drives. I have one that I got from Ebay and I also have one purchased from Apple.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    When I got my new iMac a couple of years ago, I bought an external CD/DVD drive so that I could still play movies and Sims 2 (which was not digital at the time). Wasn't that expensive.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    AimiexoxoAimiexoxo Posts: 396 Member
    Details about my Mac?
    iMac.
    27-inch, Late 2013
    Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

With that being said and the other important stuff, TS4 runs perfect on my Mac. I don't know if I have the best graphics card or the best memory or storage or RAM to play the game, but I must have seeing as I've had no issues with the game so far. I have no CC, no EP or packs or whatever in my game and I hardly use cheats so maybe that's why it's being so kind to me? I also play through Origin - well, duh. Had no problems with Origin. The only problem I've had is that I need internet to start the game up/get into Origin... I don't know if that's the same for everybody else but it's that way for me and I think that's really unfair seeing as what if I want to play while I don't have internet? Really sucks, if you ask me. But that isn't important as I have great internet, but just incase something unfortunate happens to my internet... WHATEVER!

I know this is long, I apologise.
    Anyway, still... The Sims 4 is absolutely perfect for my Mac, I've had 0 problems. No lagging, no bugs, no slowness, no sound or graphic issues, nothing wrong has happened what so ever. And I got this the same day it came out for Mac! Since the beginning of time!
    Hello! I'm new to creating Sims and Houses but I do my best. I like them simple and without the use of CC, but I may add SOME CC like hair and make-up only! If you want to check it out, my origin Username is Aimiec1233, thank you.
  • Options
    samhqsamhq Posts: 25 Member
    > @ErikTheRod said:
    > Just thought I'd do a little benchmarking for those curious on the latest 2014 Retina iMac (5K screen). My model has the Core i7 (4.0 GHz), M295X (4GB), 24 GB RAM, and 1TB Fusion drive.
    >
    > As you might imagine, I was very curious to see how the Sims 4 would look at 5K resolution (5120x2880). I was also a bit pessimistic about performance, as that is a lot of pixels to be pushing for a mobile GPU. Upon first launch, the game defaulted to Ultra settings at 2560x1440 (Retina). The 3D details were passable in this resolution, but the UI really was blurry around the edges... it would bother me too much to use half my native resolution scaled up.
    >
    > For my benchmarks, I decided to use the "High" presets at 5120x2880 (Retina ON, V-Sync OFF). I restarted the game so that they could take full effect. I used the "FPS On" cheat (Ctrl+Shift+C) to gauge my frame-rate in the game (including create-a-sim).
    >
    > Create-A-Sim (CAS) was pretty flawless and gorgeous at 5K, constant 60 frames per second (FPS). The only time it dipped was when I was customizing my Sim's physical appearance (dragging body structure), and that was only a 5-10 frame dip for a fraction of a second. Hardly noticeable and would not impact my gameplay at all. Oh did I mention it looked absolutely stunning?
    >
    > Next was my Sim (just a single guy household) in the empty Potter's Splay lot. Here was I averaging between 15-25 FPS depending on zoom level (15 at max zoomed out, 25 when zoomed in really close). It was tolerable... but not really ideal. After all, we hadn't even built a house yet!
    >
    > I decided a better test would be to visit the neighboring house, Brook Bungalow (house to the left). Interestingly enough, it stayed between 15-20 FPS here, depending on zoom level similar to before. I was expecting more of a frame drop here. Unfortunately, no Sims lived here so I decided my next test would be an actual household.
    >
    > To better test a real family with a properly furnished household, I played the pre-made Faust family who lives at Brook Bungalow. I averaged 15 FPS regardless of zoom level, which was playable but not necessarily enjoyable.
    >
    > So I was faced with a real dilemma: Do I play at half resolution (2560x1440) with far better frame-rate (30-60fps) but blurry-looking UI... or do I have an amazingly crisp game at 5K with slower frame-rate?
    >
    > Being unable to get over how amazing the iMac's 5K display is... I decided to try and get best of both worlds. After all, that's what customizable video settings are for, right? Surely I could keep the game looking "quite good" while bumping up my frame-rate to an acceptable level at 5K. I was determined.
    >
    > After tinkering with several of them (and restarting the game, many... many times)... I came to a realization. "Edge Smoothing" (known as Anti-Aliasing or AA) is used to reduce the jaggedness of polygons by composing several offset frames and sampling them together. At 5K resolution, each additional frame rendering was costly, and likely not giving me too much benefit since the resolution was so high to begin with.
    >
    > So I turned Edge Smoothing OFF entirely... and saw huge performance increases! The empty lot with my lone Sim was now 20-33 FPS. Back at the Faust family was now averaging 20-30 FPS. It was not 100% ideal but it was definitely far more playable and no "jaggies" visible. The UI looked crisp and I had a ton more room on screen.
    >
    > For those other Mac users who are playing at their native Retina resolution, I highly recommend turning Edge Smoothing off. At that high of a resolution, AA is somewhat unnecessary and only hurting your frame-rate.
    >
    > That all said, the game plays amazing at 5K resolution and I'd say that's quite a feat for *any* modern game right now, regardless of platform and system specs. Thoroughly impressed with the 5K iMac and the Sims 4 Mac initial release performance.
    >

Hi @ErikTheRod ,

You have the same spec iMac as myself. Just wondering if you are able to play with those settings without you computer fans turning on full speed? The game grahics run perfectly for me, but the fans going at full speed is annoying. Buying a top of the line mac, I expected it to be able to cope with running the game & not over heating. Within a minute of starting the game they turn on full speed. Within 30 secs of quitting the game the fans turn off.
  • Options
    KaiKai Posts: 132 Member
    The Sims 4 works smoothly on my old Macbook Pro as long as I don't try and multitask then things get a little slow on my laptop side not the game side.

I found as long as laptop mode is enable I can play on high, I haven't yet tried Ultra though

MackbookPro 2010
    Processor: Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

My laptop gets a little hot but otherwise my fans are silent.
    img
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I've been running this game on my 27" inch iMac without any problems.