Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Outdoor Retreat Game Pack Digital Download ONLY

Comments

• Options
    Person92Person92 Posts: 184 Member
    I like that it's going to be digital only. Less clutter and no shipping/handling fees.
    Origin ID is: Person92
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited January 2015
    It's DLC, downloadable content, it's always digital only no matter which company it comes from...unless you get a GotY edition that includes it on disc.

You don't have to have a Paypal account, just buy a pre-paid card at Target or something.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    anamafraanamafra Posts: 30 Member
    I don't mind it. I've already gotten copies of TS3 EPs and TS4 that way and had no trouble whatsoever
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    I have just read an article about Outdoor Retreat. I was disappointed because it will only be available for digital downloads and there will be no physical copies. What are your opinions about the new informations provided? I was really disappointed because I only buy physical copies because I'm not interested in getting PayPal accounts or something like that.

What is your source for this? And to pay you can use a credit card or get an EA cash card.

It's common knowledge that this game pack will be digital download only. Just go over to Sims VIP and read their announcement if you don't believe me. As for EA cash cards, those are only available in the continental US, if I'm not mistaken, and not everyone has access to a credit card. Apparently, EA is thinking everyone of their customers is upper middle-class and has the income to support high speed internet.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    I have just read an article about Outdoor Retreat. I was disappointed because it will only be available for digital downloads and there will be no physical copies. What are your opinions about the new informations provided? I was really disappointed because I only buy physical copies because I'm not interested in getting PayPal accounts or something like that.

What is your source for this? And to pay you can use a credit card or get an EA cash card.

It's common knowledge that this game pack will be digital download only. Just go over to Sims VIP and read their announcement if you don't believe me. As for EA cash cards, those are only available in the continental US, if I'm not mistaken, and not everyone has access to a credit card. Apparently, EA is thinking everyone of their customers is upper middle-class and has the income to support high speed internet.

This isn't EA doing something that goes against the grain, this is a standard practice and has been for years. Outdoor Retreat is DLC and DLC is digital only, from every company.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    milly001 wrote: »
    This really sucks for us Disc hoarders - okay collectors - I don't think I'll be able to get it through origin for ages yet. I do hope they do physical copies for EPs because otherwise what was the point in a physical copy for TS4 was it just to get more people to buy it? In that case they should do physical copies for EPs and GPs (haha GP) so more people would buy them as well.

I think Game Packs are sort of the equivalent of the old Sims 3 Store sets, which were for the most part download only (with the exception of a few of the Worlds). EPs and SPs will likely still be available as disk as well as download versions. And some of the Worlds were put out on disk later, so maybe they'll do the same with Outdoor Retreat and other GPs.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FilipeSantosFilipeSantos Posts: 138 Member
    don't like it and i don't buy it... I have problems with the paypal before, and I never return to use that kind o payment in my life. If the Outdoor Retreat is only digital unfortunly I don't gonna buy it... sorry EA but my money this time is not gonna been spend with you u_u
  • Options
    TheDeamonTheDeamon Posts: 83 Member

This isn't EA doing something that goes against the grain, this is a standard practice and has been for years. Outdoor Retreat is DLC and DLC is digital only, from every company.

Sure its standard practice for a gaming company. But apart form the Sims 3 Store. This isn't standard practice for any SIMS game content beyond funiture/clothes/hair added to the game. Nowhere that i know of has anybody officially stated that Game Packs are the replacement for the Sims 3 Store in Sims 4. Only that its the in-between of a Stuff pack(normally also physical disc) and an Expansion pack(ALWAYS physical disc).

I've already said my personal reasons for never buying anything digitally. But aside from that the general attitude here seems to be. "welcome to the future, dont like it? Tough luck".

Well its not tough luck its genuine concern. If this is to become the norm, then whats to stop them from selling the Expansion packs as Digital Only aswell... What was the point then in selling the base game in a physical disc?

To get more customers... and now suddenly those customers willing to pay extra for a physical disc are no longer good enough? Well EA you can keep your half-baked Kinda a stuff pack, kinda an expansion pack we arent sure, whatever... to yourselfs if this is the road we are going down...

P.s i reread this an it looks like im on an all out war path for Allspice, Im not. Hehe. Sorry if it sounds like it. :D
  • Options
    nettlejuicenettlejuice Posts: 144 Member
    I prefer the digital download, can't seem to sell my copies of Sims 3 x_x
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    simmese wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Well Game Packs are replacing the store, and the store was online only. Makes sense to me :)

But I could download and save a sims3pack to my external hard-drive ... so once it was downloaded I need never worry about using my broadband again on it

With this system if I need to get anything again I have to use my broadband to get it all , that'll please my provider no doubt

What is broadband? Is that your name for cable internet?

Yes

I just noticed the last part of your post. What do you mean by "that'll please my provider no doubt"?

I'm online all day, the only way I please them is by paying the bill, which is the same every month, no matter how long I'm on; and we have multiple computers online all day everyday, we rarely go offline.

So I don't understand why it would "please your provider" by being online. Please explain.

Because some pay for how much they use. Not everyone has unlimited broadband.

That's weird. I couldn't get it that way from my cable company if I wanted. The only difference is the speeds.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Well Game Packs are replacing the store, and the store was online only. Makes sense to me :)

But I could download and save a sims3pack to my external hard-drive ... so once it was downloaded I need never worry about using my broadband again on it

With this system if I need to get anything again I have to use my broadband to get it all , that'll please my provider no doubt

What is broadband? Is that your name for cable internet?

Yes

I just noticed the last part of your post. What do you mean by "that'll please my provider no doubt"?

I'm online all day, the only way I please them is by paying the bill, which is the same every month, no matter how long I'm on; and we have multiple computers online all day everyday, we rarely go offline.

So I don't understand why it would "please your provider" by being online. Please explain.

Because some pay for how much they use. Not everyone has unlimited broadband.

That's weird. I couldn't get it that way from my cable company if I wanted. The only difference is the speeds.

It's common in the UK at least to have limits on your broadband other than unlimited. For low income families this is the only way they can afford to have internet in the home. I know this because I frequently help family members shop around for the best deals to help them out :smile:
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    I don't mind that its only digital I download things all the time
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    TheDeamon wrote: »

Sure its standard practice for a gaming company. But apart form the Sims 3 Store. This isn't standard practice for any SIMS game content beyond funiture/clothes/hair added to the game. Nowhere that i know of has anybody officially stated that Game Packs are the replacement for the Sims 3 Store in Sims 4. Only that its the in-between of a Stuff pack(normally also physical disc) and an Expansion pack(ALWAYS physical disc).

I've already said my personal reasons for never buying anything digitally. But aside from that the general attitude here seems to be. "welcome to the future, dont like it? Tough luck".

Well its not tough luck its genuine concern. If this is to become the norm, then whats to stop them from selling the Expansion packs as Digital Only aswell... What was the point then in selling the base game in a physical disc?

To get more customers... and now suddenly those customers willing to pay extra for a physical disc are no longer good enough? Well EA you can keep your half-baked Kinda a stuff pack, kinda an expansion pack we arent sure, whatever... to yourselfs if this is the road we are going down...

P.s i reread this an it looks like im on an all out war path for Allspice, Im not. Hehe. Sorry if it sounds like it. :D

I totally understand and agree with you @TheDeamon.

Not to offend others but I very well understand what it feels like to be precluded from enjoyment of this game because of it's omissions, but also because many family members of mine don't have unlimited broadband, the teens don't own a credit card (obviously!) and their parents don't either.
    Many customers take issue with online only transactions because they've been a victim of hackers (and origin itself just had this happen last week so everyone should be checking their account for unauthorised purchases) and I totally understand that. I worry about it too.

I don't like the increasing attitude from companies that if you don't fall into their policies like this you are shut out. It's quite rude. It's the same as how I think it's wrong that the twitter and Facebook accounts are favoured over their own official site and it's forums for 'hints' etc.
    Not every one of us want to expose our social media to the sims. I love the game but I value my privacy so I don't ever 'like' companies. If I choose to promote your company through good service it will be either a one off post one my Facebook wall and via whatsapp/texts or verbal communication to family and friends.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I am trying to figure out a way to save install file onto my computer so don't have to keep downloading over and over and over. Done that five times now. I have great computer, but like others the internet connection sucks at times. I have EVERYTHING working against me. Weather is the main issue depending on the time of the year.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2015
    I understand and appreciate that they go with only digital copies since it's way cheaper to produce. Ofcourse there could be cheaper ways to produce physical copies. dvd's and cd's are an old technology by now. They could sell small memory sticks with the game packs instead. IMO that could be one of the future products. But it's still cheaper to sell it by download. IE it means they can produce more content than they otherwise would have. More content for the same amount of resources.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    PheobelisPheobelis Posts: 45 Member
    I stopped buying physical copies years ago. Just like I stopped buy VHS tapes years ago.
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    You people complain way, way, way too much over the smallest things. You're not making mountains out of molehills, you're making a Mount Everest over a pile of dirt.

The Sims is a PC game, and games on the PC usually never have physical copies of anything. It's much cheaper to sell it digitally than to spend lots of money on making the cover and case and disk it's on and selling it to stores and it's a whole bunch of plum. I also don't get you high-and-mighty people proclaiming you'd rather have a physical copy than a digital one, please, get off the horse. This is 2015; physical copies are out the window. Blockbusters don't even exist anymore because of things like this.

I have a 200 kb/s download speed too. What do I do? Install plum overnight or when you're at work / school or whatever you do that requires you to leave your computer. Is it cruddy? Yeah. Deal with it. Also, to the guy with the male sim avatar with too much eyeshadow, quit being so paranoid. There is a very, very, very small chance anything would happen to your money. Not 0%, but maybe like 0.5%. I don't know what else to say besides you're being too neurotic.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    SimsLovah wrote: »
    Repair the game
    Did that.
    You might want to repair your game, remove any mods if you have any, and delete your Cache.
    The only glitch I get is the bar glitch.

Did all of that. I thought I said I did all of that in the first post. Removing the Sims 4 folder is the exact same thing as Repairing the game, which I also did, and when you remove all the folders so the game can rebuild them, there are no mods or caches. They were all deleted, cleaned out, gone, no more...

I'm not the only one having these issues. Glad you're not. Feel free to invest in the game all you want in the coming days, months, years, etc. I won't.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I don't mind digital downloads
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yep I agree with the digital download completely! I've decided I will only have the physical copy of the base game and get everything else digitally . Plus it means you can play the second it is launched!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    SimsLovah wrote: »
    Repair the game
    Did that.
    You might want to repair your game, remove any mods if you have any, and delete your Cache.
    The only glitch I get is the bar glitch.

Did all of that. I thought I said I did all of that in the first post. Removing the Sims 4 folder is the exact same thing as Repairing the game, which I also did, and when you remove all the folders so the game can rebuild them, there are no mods or caches. They were all deleted, cleaned out, gone, no more...

I'm not the only one having these issues. Glad you're not. Feel free to invest in the game all you want in the coming days, months, years, etc. I won't.
    Yikes! That sounds terrible. The latest patch really messed the game up to a level comparable to TS3's. Where's the stable game you've been promising us EA. :\
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    Please don't. My internet is VERY slow (200 kb/s tops) and buying it on Origin would mean that every time I decide to reinstall my computer or the game itself because of a bug I'd have to download it again and again. So far, I always waited until I got the physical copy because of that and believe or not it has always been cheaper. (and I always buy from a place where I don't even have to pay for shipping )
    Rather than reinstalling it, have you tried to "repair game", instead? I do this every so often and I'm not having problems with my game. As for the GP being strictly digital, I'm really not surprised. This has been heavily hinted at these past few years. Besides, currently, I don't have a car to use to take me to the Brick and Mortar so I can pick it up. For me, all I'll have to do is pay for it and then download it. Voila. (For the longest time I only wanted physical copies, too. I'm learning that digital is okay, too. And, I'm running out of space for all of the games. Sims2 and Sims3 and now Sims4.) You get the picture. ;)

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2015
    Also EA is a global company, and most countries they sell to have great internet. I'm sorry if you have bad internet, but most of us that do have good internet kind of expect EA to get with the times. It's just how the market works. Customers want the digital downloads and expect them, because it's more convenient.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    You people complain way, way, way too much over the smallest things. You're not making mountains out of molehills, you're making a Mount Everest over a pile of dirt.

The Sims is a PC game, and games on the PC usually never have physical copies of anything. It's much cheaper to sell it digitally than to spend lots of money on making the cover and case and disk it's on and selling it to stores and it's a whole bunch of plum. I also don't get you high-and-mighty people proclaiming you'd rather have a physical copy than a digital one, please, get off the horse. This is 2015; physical copies are out the window. Blockbusters don't even exist anymore because of things like this.

I have a 200 kb/s download speed too. What do I do? Install plum overnight or when you're at work / school or whatever you do that requires you to leave your computer. Is it cruddy? Yeah. Deal with it. Also, to the guy with the male sim avatar with too much eyeshadow, quit being so paranoid. There is a very, very, very small chance anything would happen to your money. Not 0%, but maybe like 0.5%. I don't know what else to say besides you're being too neurotic.
    You can give whatever stance on digital vs physical copies , all you want.

But you Crossed the line when you filled that post with insults towards others.

Now Who is exactly on that "high horse" ? ...

• Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Sims is a want, not a need. So what if some people can't get the game pack, there are othher things they can spend their money on that will be useful to their life.