Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open world=Lag

Comments

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I honestly kind of think they purposely sabotaged TS3 near the end of its run with routing around the IP EP, you know, to inspire us to buy the "smooth running" TS4. They had to know as in were aware of what they were doing with the routing IMHO.
    Well that is unfortunate. Sims 3 did 3x better than TS4 based on sales. #BadManagement

I think they were banking on being the only ticket in town TBH and it backfired on them.

People went outside instead.

• Options
    Lol, yay for trolling jabs.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I could have seen a smaller open world where you could have SOME houses and SOME community lots open but having to go to a loading screen for another.

Like 6-10 houses and 3-5 community lots. Note that I said and not or with regard to residential and community lots. They didn't have to go completely closed world to reduce the chances of lag.

They didn't have to completely remove CASt to reduce the chances of lag. They could have given a color wheel or palette to change the primary color of the object (the palette adjusting colors depending on type, wood flooring having more browns than carpet flooring).

They could have met us in between if they were really worried about not getting the coding right for open world and CASt to not add to the lag.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I tend to think it was CASt more than open world. Even in CAS, the loading was slow while the system tried to load all those patterns and such. I didn't have too much lag, and it's odd to me that people say they had the most trouble with WA because I never did. I sent my sims on holiday to those places to get away from the lag that was IP. I could run and play in WA every time with no problems.

Mind, I did have crashes and freezes, but that's not the game so much as the system I was running it on. But rendering was slow due to cast.

I also played it without any mods like the NRAAS stuff.

So as to the OP, I don't really think it was the open world, more CASt. And also coding. Because the routing issues never got fixed by Maxis.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I tend to think it was CASt more than open world. Even in CAS, the loading was slow while the system tried to load all those patterns and such. I didn't have too much lag, and it's odd to me that people say they had the most trouble with WA because I never did. I sent my sims on holiday to those places to get away from the lag that was IP. I could run and play in WA every time with no problems.

Mind, I did have crashes and freezes, but that's not the game so much as the system I was running it on. But rendering was slow due to cast.

So as to the OP, I don't really think it was the open world, more CASt. And also coding. Because the routing issues never got fixed by Maxis.

Don't know what you ran because the one thing I never had a problem with was CASt. It loads in a few seconds and my laptop doesn't even meet requirements. My game also runs pretty much without lag, sometimes 2 seconds or so of lag.
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Don't know what you ran because the one thing I never had a problem with was CASt. It loads in a few seconds and my laptop doesn't even meet requirements. My game also runs pretty much without lag, sometimes 2 seconds or so of lag.

I ran it on an Acer Aspire i7 laptop. It wasn't minutes or anything, but I found I maybe loaded too many patterns or something and the thumbnails always took time to load.

I had more issues with routing than anything and that is coding. But even so, I really don't want to see sims 3 again in this series. I already have that game. I'll wait and see what they do to make 4, 4. Open neighbourhoods would be a nice compromise.

And development of the sims personalities through emotions and more options as to traits and aspirations. I want the emotions to actually mean something. I don't need angry poop, just like I didn't need evil shower. (I do like that they slam the fridge when they are mad though, and that's more what I mean by development of personalities)

I sure hope they are looking at Sims2 as far as the sims themselves go. And also how the eps worked together.

• Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I loved the Sims 3 open world! :D
    It was esp beautiful in Sunlit Tides, settings on high. <3
    I had very little lag, usually it ran great. Esp after I upgraded the PC.

When I 1st bought Sims, it randomly crashed.
    I later found out it was from having an inadequate PC.
    I've learned a LOT since then.
    In fact, learned a lot about PC's in general, in the process of the Sims games.
    Esp how I can now play Sims 2 on graphics that are close to Sims 3, due to a program tweaking the graphics settings.

Only issue was with IP. The routing issues had to be fixed, to make it playable.
    Crashing was almost non-existent, UNLESS, I played online and tried to use "Player Wall", during game play.
    Then it was about 30% chance of crashing.
    Otherwise, I had the game open all day, between playing, and making dinner IRL, etc., and never crashed.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2014
    AiHaou wrote: »
    The open world and create a style is part of the reason why sims 3 lagged so much.
    Just read the OP so I'm sure I repeat many, but how come then my S3 game isn't lagging on my three years old computer?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    CASt will not run during your gameplay unless you're in CAS so I don't think that is ever a problem. Open World, however, can eat your PC away. Mwahaha

I have yet to try giving more RAM to my game though and see how it performs. I'd probably won't lag at all and play as smoothly as you guys play Sims 4. 8gb compared to ~30gb worth of EPs.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited December 2014
    CASt will not run during your gameplay unless you're in CAS so I don't think that is ever a problem. Open World, however, can eat your PC away. Mwahaha

I have yet to try giving more RAM to my game though and see how it performs. I'd probably won't lag at all and play as smoothly as you guys play Sims 4. 8gb compared to ~30gb worth of EPs.
    Have you ever tried changing Sims 3 config file to let it use more ram, than it does by default?
    It's easy to do, and I already have tried it. Helps a LOT! ;)
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give

I had 12 GB ram, and told game to use half of it (6GB).

• Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited December 2014

Have you ever tried changing Sims 3 config file to let it use more ram, than it does by default?
    It's easy to do, and I already have tried it. Helps a LOT! ;)
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give
    Yes! Someone pointed it out to me a couple days ago. @Coffefreak4Life. I can't believe I just found out about that when Sims 3 has already ended! I can't believe myself right now.
  • Options
    I'm more interested in the direction of sims 4 though......I only have sims 3 still installed because I spent way too much money on it, and I still have to finish all the quests in WA.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    The open world and create a style is part of the reason why sims 3 lagged so much.
    Just read the OP so I'm sure I repeat many, but how come then my S3 game isn't lagging on my three years old computer?
    I would like some tips then :)

Out of the box, it's laggy.
    Open world obviously take more process power (that's a fact).
    But some stuff in TS3 lacks optimization as well.

I hardly started ts3 since i have ts4. Can't stand the long loading times :(
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

Ever heard of NRaas mods? They saved my game's plum.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

A company shouldn't rely on mods. They should fix it themselves.

• Options

Exactly.
    Heard about NRaas only a few days ago. Didn't had time to try.
  • Options

And this why the title of this thread is laughable.

Open world =/= lag

The sims team + open world = lag
  • Options

Exactly.
    Heard about NRaas only a few days ago. Didn't had time to try.

Like I have said. I never used it, and really, with patches up to 1.67 I don't have it too bad. The game is definitely playable, but not what I like. The sims are not sims. Sims 3 is about the world.

• Options
    edited December 2014

I completely agree, but what are you gonna do. It's the same case with TS4, too.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

I completely agree, but what are you gonna do. It's the same case with TS4, too.

I haven't used mods for any of my sims games. I have less issues with 4.

• Options
    edited December 2014

TS4 is rather new. And was rushed.
    And hopefully, the code is less messy (and more easily fixable), than the TS3 code. Future will tell I guess.

One of the problem there, the sims is a rather complex games, and will hardly have a way to tell the dev "if i do this and that, i get that unexpected thing to happen". Thus, some stuff don't get fixed because the devs don't know about it.

• Options

By mods I meant the one that fixes the aging glitch, since EA apparently didn't bother to do so.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    KhyanLeikasKhyanLeikas Posts: 857 Member
    Why you speak about Sims 3? I don't understand. Please, why?

Look at these low graphics on the Sims 4! You really think that Open World and CaSt would make Sims 4 lagged so much? No.

With Open World and CASt, Sims 4 should be a VERY BETTER game.
    Here, it's a Flop game, a shame for true sims fans.
  • Options

By mods I meant the one that fixes the aging glitch, since EA apparently didn't bother to do so.

Was there an aging glitch in 3? I never noticed. lol
  • Options

Was there an aging glitch in 3? I never noticed. lol
    I meant the one from TS4. Shimrod's mod. :p
    oh3cjs.jpg