Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open world=Lag

The open world and create a style is part of the reason why sims 3 lagged so much.
6JSxk49.png?1

Comments

• Options
    ImNoComedianImNoComedian Posts: 886 Member
    tumblr_lnn48cVAjO1qdlkgg.gif
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Until recently I always played Sims3 on a laptop that wasn't what would be considered a gaming computer by any means and I had very little lag issues. This includes all but one EP and it includes Store content and worlds and SPs and all kinds of Create-A-Style used in the game. I did have some lag issues with a couple of worlds, initially. After some research I found that there were several routing issues that were causing problems in certain worlds. When I fixed the routing problems the lag was greatly reduced. Yes, the routing issues could/should have been spotted and fixed by EA with more extensive play testing but it wasn't just the open world or create-a-style that caused the temporary lag I experienced.

I fully acknowledge that the Sims games have numerous glitches-no question-but I also know that I was able to play Sim3 throughout the series with minimal lag problems. I am just saying perhaps there are other factors going on here.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    AiHaou wrote: »
    Open world=Lag
    Again this?

1. TES 1-5
    2. Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3
    3. Far Cry 3, Far Cry Blood Dragon
    4. Watch Dogs
    5. Dragon Age 3

Open world? Open world!
    Any lag? No lag!

So stop posting nonsense!
    Bugs in Sims 3 are there because of sloppy programming, lousy code and refusal to fix it but instead concentrating on crap microtransaction milking business.

• Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited December 2014
    theres a difference between adding a feature from previous games with the same laggy style or IMPROOVE it and fit it in to the new system.
    The sims 4 has many features from previous game like the basics one: building houses, create sims, interactions and even though in the first game building houses wasnt all that, it didnt mean they shouldnt put it back in the newer games, but improove it. They just need to figure out a way that it can be added without all the faults from ts3.. and it is very possible, at least it is possible to make it better than what we have now. Ts2 for example didnt have an open world, but its still better than what ts4 had, cause you could see a real neighborhood and NOT a white map.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    The open world and create a style is part of the reason why sims 3 lagged so much.

It was & it wasn't IMO.

As far as the lagginess in the open world was concerned I think it was more to do with very bad coding on EA's part rather than the world itself being too large / too intense for most machines. As far as CASt goes... I'm really not sure on this one. I had horrific rendering issues with TS3 that really shouldn't have existed given the specs of my machine and to this day I can't really explain why.

The open world had other drawbacks too such as nobody ever being around and general ghost-town issues but again I think that was linked more to bad coding than the open world itself being bad.

TBH I am glad the open world is gone. The game runs smoother, all of my lots are heaving with sims and the whole thing just seems to perform a lot better than it used to, but the idea of the open world itself wasn't a bad one IMO, it was just badly implemented.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Open world=Lag
    Again this?

1. TES 1-5
    2. Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3
    3. Far Cry 3, Far Cry Blood Dragon
    4. Watch Dogs
    5. Dragon Age 3

Open world? Open world!
    Any lag? No lag!

So stop posting nonsense!
    Bugs in Sims 3 are there because of sloppy programming, lousy code and refusal to fix it but instead concentrating on crap microtransaction milking business.

I don't know why people keep trying to compare other games to The Sims because, IMO, there is no comparison that can be made. I haven't played a lot of the games you've mentioned in particular so I might be off-base with this, but I have played Watchdogs and I know that game, while technically open-world, is still a very scripted experience.

With TS3 you had multiple households with multiple, unique sims and they were all supposed to be living out their lives and doing their own things completely independent of the player. That is much, much different from playing a game where you run around an open city and have a bunch of AI NPCs based off 5 or 6 different character models where their only "job" is to walk / drive around to make a place look busy. Never mind all the individual lots you could also take your sim to and wander around in, all without loading screens, I haven't seen many other open world games do that.

I'm not saying this was the reason why TS3 was so laggy, I'm a believer that it was bad coding on their part as well with a dash of them perhaps being a little too ambitious for the time but to my knowledge we still don't have what TS3 attempted to do in any other video game and we're coming up on 2015 now.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Watch Dogs you say? If you won't compare bunch of NPCs, compare graphics. Definetly unlock with the mod those unbelievable things like hyperrealistic rain.
    It's true that hundreds of Watch Dogs' NPCs on streets just "look" busy, but then pull out a gun start firing, do they only "look" busy now? :)

In Sims 3 Maxis simply didn't polish the code till this day and probably won't ever. Why is that so, beats me.
    EA has openworld or semiopenworld engine, it's called Frostbite and for what I've seen it's an awsome piece of work. Why Maxis modified Sims MMO engine for Sims 4 instead of modifying Frostbite is something I'll never understand. Their choice.

But I guess we'll have to wait for Sims 5 for openworld return.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Watch Dogs you say? If you won't compare bunch of NPCs, compare graphics. Definetly unlock with the mod those unbelievable things like hyperrealistic rain.
    It's true that hundreds of Watch Dogs' NPCs on streets just "look" busy, but then pull out a gun start firing, do they only "look" busy now? :)

In Sims 3 Maxis simply didn't polish the code till this day and probably won't ever. Why is that so, beats me.
    EA has openworld or semiopenworld engine, it's called Frostbite and for what I've seen it's an awsome piece of work. Why Maxis modified Sims MMO engine for Sims 4 instead of modifying Frostbite is something I'll never understand. Their choice.

But I guess we'll have to wait for Sims 5 for openworld return.

I have it on console so I can't mod the game unfortunately.
    Again, their reactions are programmed into the coding and it is completely different to TS3's "living out a whole life" coding.

I just think The Sims is too big a game to do that kind of thing with and the nature of the game just doesn't seem to play nice. Or at least it was back in 2009. I daresay what they tried to do back then might be more possible now but even then I'm not so sure & they chose not to do it anyway.

Is Dragon Age 3 worth the money? I haven't played the other games but I like the look of the current one, the only thing that's putting me off is that it's a £50 PC game. Only EA have the gall to charge £50 for a PC game these days. Sigh.
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member

I do think that the open world and create a style were a big part of the problem (why else did they step away from them with 4 there has to be a reason right?) but and there is a but i dont think they were to blame completely. It was rubbish coding and most likely a pinch of laziness.
  • Options
    Another reason as to why i think it was laggy is to do with the sims in the world, you may not be playing them but it doesn't meant their lives dont carry on as normal. They get up go to work go home and go to sleep and everything else in between. Same as you. And thats every family in the world. Most NPC's/townies in video games have very limited programming so they dont have alot to do and tend to repeat alot of what they say and do. In the sims 3 every sim was as capable of doing something as the next. Thats why angers me when people compare rubbish like watch dogs to the sims!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2014
    partly true, IMHO it really depended on how well your system was equipped and the reason I say this is because I have four high end systems and I played on all four and I never experienced lag from the open world or CAST. If there was any lag it was in China and IP which there is known problems with those EPs. I would suspect that low end and even some mid range computers to suffer some lag. Everybody's computers are not the same and configured different therefore different experiences. Heck even in Sims 4 with no open world some are still experiencing lag and long loading times so while there was some improvement some problems still exist. and will continue to exist looking at the nature of the program. Sims 4 is a dumbed down Sims game that cannot fully use my systems specs because it is geared to lower end machines and it is not a technical juggernaut. it is also one of the reasons that Sims 4 is not a GOTY material and EA/Maxis is not promoting heavily. Even with dedicated supporters it will not be enough how well the upcoming EPs interact with the base will remain to be seen.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    steve7859 wrote: »

I do think that the open world and create a style were a big part of the problem (why else did they step away from them with 4 there has to be a reason right?) but and there is a but i dont think they were to blame completely. It was rubbish coding and most likely a pinch of laziness.
    Agreed

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member

I also agree that this contributed to the problem but I also think there were other factors as well..
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    A mix of concept and poor execution.

Concept being the two you mentioned and some more.

Execution being codings and new ideas being brought into the engine without truly testing its capability.

So both sides of the argument in this thread are on the right track and on the right side; no need for the same repeated arguments.
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Sloppy coding = lag. It's not the open world itself.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I agree, it definitely caused lag on my computer.

And people need to stop comparing the Sims open world to other games designed for other consoles. Games like GTA and Far Cry don't have 50% as much going on in the background of their worlds. They have very few interactable spots in their maps. The Sims 3 was fully interactable and had to be at a moments notice. Of course it's gonna be a lot for your computer to render, regardless of how well it's coded.
  • Options
    HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    I know a lot of people liked create-a-style and open world. However, I was never one of them. I am perfectly happy with 30-45 second loading screen in contrast to the way longer than necessary lag that would sometimes just lead to a crash. I have few fond memories of TS3 and hope that those who prefer it enjoy it. In the meantime, I will enjoy this instalment. :)
    HSau :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    HCSau wrote: »
    I know a lot of people liked create-a-style and open world. However, I was never one of them. I am perfectly happy with 30-45 second loading screen in contrast to the way longer than necessary lag that would sometimes just lead to a crash. I have few fond memories of TS3 and hope that those who prefer it enjoy it. In the meantime, I will enjoy this instalment. :)

If your processor is 3ghz it won't be that long of a loading screen to load the entire game of the TS3. The problem (for me at least) is some (me in the past) tried to play the TS3 on a 2.4 processor. And I know of a few who tried to play it on a 1.6ghz processor. You have to take what EA says about system requirements with a grain of salt. If they tell you the game will run just fine (no matter the game) on a machine with Intel intergraded graphics and a processor that is barely 2ghz, then run and get one three times better than that. Because between their memory leaks in all these games, the fact TS3 wasn't even capped, or coded at first to use even 3MB of memory but only 2MB is a reason many have so many problems. But yes, it is a very buggy game with routing issues in all their worlds. MTS creator corrected most of those worlds and no more route failure if you use theirs to replace EA's.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    No, it's not that.

EA's employees do not do the best coding, therefore all their games are extremely buggy and that will also cause lag. They needed a few simple alteration to cut the lag by at least half, thought they wouldn't do that ever.

If they coded the game better it would run better, a better PC doesn't do harm either.

Please, just stop believing the nonsense these developers spread, they get paid to say those things -_-
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    No, it's not that.

EA's employees do not do the best coding, therefore all their games are extremely buggy and that will also cause lag. They needed a few simple alteration to cut the lag by at least half, thought they wouldn't do that ever.

If they coded the game better it would run better, a better PC doesn't do harm either.

Please, just stop believing the nonsense these developers spread, they get paid to say those things -_-

It's funny when the TS3 was being announced those same gurus told us how the open world would be the game we wanted to play and they would be the best Sims ever, right? then they come out with the TS4 and they start telling us No, no, the open world isn't the game you want to play, you need to go back to closed worlds and these are the best Sims ever. It's all marketing one day the gurus are telling us the TS3 is the best game they ever created and the next day no, no the TS4 is the best game we have ever created and people keep falling from the very same lines they use with each and every release.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, it's not that.

It's funny when the TS3 was being announced those same gurus told us how the open world would be the game we wanted to play and they would be the best Sims ever, right? then they come out with the TS4 and they start telling us No, no, the open world isn't the game you want to play, you need to go back to closed worlds and these are the best Sims ever. It's all marketing one day the gurus are telling us the TS3 is the best game they ever created and the next day no, no the TS4 is the best game we have ever created and people keep falling from the very same lines they use with each and every release.

True, then the same gurus that sold us Sims 3 as the best thing since Golluma, tell us that they actually didn't like Sims 3 at all. They wants us to believe them when they can't even keep their stories straight :/
  • Options
    No, it's not that.

I was very cautious with the sims 4, i didn't buy it having any expectations for it as i didn't really know all that much about it due to the terrible marketing campaign and complete lack of information on the game i had prior to release. Im glad i love it tho! Where as i agree with you on the sims 3 it was over hyped and yet the sims were plain and boring and robotic. I hated the open world from the get go
  • Options
    steve7859 wrote: »
    No, it's not that.

I was very cautious with the sims 4, i didn't buy it having any expectations for it as i didn't really know all that much about it due to the terrible marketing campaign and complete lack of information on the game i had prior to release. Im glad i love it tho! Where as i agree with you on the sims 3 it was over hyped and yet the sims were plain and boring and robotic. I hated the open world from the get go

No, it seems to me you didn't actually hate 'open world' but the Sim in the game. There is a difference. I didn't like the unexpressive Sim in the TS3 either. But I enjoyed very much clicking on my Sim and following with the camera to ride along or walk along with my Sims through their huge worlds. It's really sad sometimes when people blame the open world for other things they didn't like about the game. Open world is not the reason I fussed in I&F about I didn't like if I sat two Sims on a couch they didn't talk unless I made them talk. But they talked in the TS2, see? So, I may blame the focus of the open world for the problem, but no that was just a lack of coding to make the Sims more interactive while seated at the dinner table and or the couch. EA's focus wasn't really on the worlds or the Sims but the micro transactions and that is where the real problem lies with the new and improved EA. This is something they do to all their games now, all of them. Kill them with micro transactions instead of focusing on gameplay and the player.