Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

Comments

• Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    They need to hand Maxis over to rockstar.... like now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Speaking of numbers they probably had more returns than they had actual sales.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Over 2 months in, they still don't have any actual sales numbers out.... I suspect it.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Nah EA was sneaky and only had a 24 hour gurantee and there were so many problems with the returning process. As well as customer service not being helpful so people got stuck with it as well...
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    > @munchie885 said:
    > They need to hand Maxis over to rockstar.... like now.
    Either them or Bethesda Game Studios....
  • Options
    meeoun wrote: »
    > @munchie885 said:<br />
    > They need to hand Maxis over to rockstar.... like now.<br />
    Either them or Bethesda Game Studios....

Eh I'd stay away from Bethesda... their thing seems to be more or less with mmos and I don't think we want the sims to turn into that.
  • Options
    VertKillerVertKiller Posts: 223 Member
    But its only a base game and they didn't promise us those things would be in the game. Its not a step back from previous games either its a new game. You can't compare a 4 year old game to TS4 TS3 has everything now. If you wanted an exact game like TS3 then I am sorry thats not what it is. I like that its new I didn't want it to be anything like TS3 I couldn't play TS3 very well with all the bugs.

Tell me why so many of you always compare the s4 base against the full s3 game instead of just base vs base? Because I have both base games and s3 has more in that base than the s4 base. So tell me why do you people always need to use this oddball comparison?

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    As of the first week of November - retail sales of Sims 4 was at over a million. That is not including any downloaded sales - just the physical disk sales.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited November 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    As of the first week of November - retail sales of Sims 4 was at over a million. That is not including any downloaded sales - just the physical disk sales.

The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week.

Edit: sources
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/the-sims-3-sells-1-4-million-units-in-first-week
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31194133/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/sims-sells-million-copies-first-week/#.VGxPucl5WJQ
  • Options
    VertKillerVertKiller Posts: 223 Member

I wonder what the physical sales would be like if we could have returned them like the online sales. I would have if I could and I know from reading that I'm not alone. Now it's a waiting game to see what is in store next. If I live that long. Which is just as iffy as the advancement of s4. but who knows. Miracles do happen, so I'm told.

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited November 2014

Do you have proof of that? Something that you can actually show a link to, because far as im concerned even if you are a stockholder EA isn't releasing data on those sales just yet to anyone. Frankly what i find odd is that other sites have published that sims 4 hadn't even made 800,000 over all retail sales let alone 1 million like you claim in the first week.

I think that 400,000 retail is more accurate and digital probably far less given the mass exodus of returns. Until ea posts some actual figures im going to have say i don't believe you one bit.

28unTd1.jpg See this is the NPD Software sales out for september

Sims 4 is ranked 8th. We know that Supersmash brothers sold 705k in copies in september
    I may not know the accurate number but i know well enough sims 4 retail sales or otherwise first week was not 1 million and fact far from it. since it falls at 8th place and just above hyrule warriors at 100k i would say sims 4 probably landed about 400k to 500k retail sales.
    Post edited by Anavastia on
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I like this guy! Welcome to the community, you will fit right in!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Whatever the number, EA sure hasn't been too proud of it. Certainly not proud enough to brag about it.

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    abbyshireabbyshire Posts: 601 Member
    edited November 2014
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.

People know what quality is and what quality is not. They know when the next installment in the series is worth it or not, of course this is all based on each individuals POV. Whatever they got out of the game, is it still there in the new version and so much more? I know I want to make sure whatever money I spend, I spend it on something that's worth it to me. If the base game is weak, then so will the EP's because of too many limitations. So the base game/game engine is a crucial factor and how everything else will follow.

TS
    A brand new game that says, "The People Simulator from the Creator of Sim City"
    This is open-ended/sandbox and is how it began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA

TS2
    A CONTINUATION of what started it all. Part of the introduction in the manual reads, "In The Sims 2, sims have taken on a whole new dimension. As they add generations to their family trees, you'll see them pass on DNA, personalities, and inheritances. Watch your sims age from gurgling babies to adults with their own children, all the while striving to achieve their life goals." ADDED more than the original game started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

TS3
    No longer confined to one lot at a time. Now go wherever you please and no loading screens between lots. Visit neighbors, literally walk to the park or beach. wherever. The open world along with CASt are huge improvements over both TS/TS2 in that department. TS3 also ADDED more for the series to grow into something worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gXiw5URNM

TS4
    The first time in Sims history where supposedly a sequel leaves out a life stage and pools since it were first introduced. Not only that it didn't ADD anything worthwhile compared to what TS2 and TS3 base games did and most definitely didn't build upon the continuation of the series. How do you just forget TS3 like it never existed? I am impressed by PROGRESSION not regression. I get the feeling that TS4 is nothing more than living inside a goldfish bowl. Feeling trapped. Can't go there even if it's next door or across the street even though can see it. Everything feels so fake, so unbelievable, completely losing any immersion. Realism is gone while everything over-the-top takes focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00mK3Pxc8w

These trailers are great -- thanks for posting! They also make me sad....

Just remembering the hours of entertainment and 'escape' The Sims has given me over the past few years. The excitement of new possibilities when a new expansion pack comes out. Finding the little personality quirks and odd, funny behaviors of your sims. Creating the perfect town for your Sims and making each world your own. Exploring every nook and cranny of each new world. Building dream houses, shacks, cottages, cabins -- anything you could dream up. Being able to then decorate your creations and sims in whatever themes/colors/textures that you wanted. Such endless creative possibilities (without a mess to clean up)! All this is what I LOVED about The Sims -- to me, it is/was the BEST GAME EVER (flaws, glitches and all).

The sadness comes in because I'm just not feeling this wonder and excitement with TS4 and I can't pinpoint any one 'missing' thing as the reason why.... I'm a creative person IRL (paint, design, craft, make), so is it the lack of customization features? I don't know, honestly. It's just *something*....

But I truly want the series to succeed and do amazingly well so that I can have those feelings back either down the road with 4 or with an all new TS5. :) In the meantime, I have TS3 (which could have been the best PERFECT game ever had EA allowed devs to fix all the routing and other issues) to fill those needs.
    Post edited by abbyshire on
    ETA: Darn you, autocorrect!
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    abbyshire wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.

People know what quality is and what quality is not. They know when the next installment in the series is worth it or not, of course this is all based on each individuals POV. Whatever they got out of the game, is it still there in the new version and so much more? I know I want to make sure whatever money I spend, I spend it on something that's worth it to me. If the base game is weak, then so will the EP's because of too many limitations. So the base game/game engine is a crucial factor and how everything else will follow.

TS
    A brand new game that says, "The People Simulator from the Creator of Sim City"
    This is open-ended/sandbox and is how it began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA

TS2
    A CONTINUATION of what started it all. Part of the introduction in the manual reads, "In The Sims 2, sims have taken on a whole new dimension. As they add generations to their family trees, you'll see them pass on DNA, personalities, and inheritances. Watch your sims age from gurgling babies to adults with their own children, all the while striving to achieve their life goals." ADDED more than the original game started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

TS3
    No longer confined to one lot at a time. Now go wherever you please and no loading screens between lots. Visit neighbors, literally walk to the park or beach. wherever. The open world along with CASt are huge improvements over both TS/TS2 in that department. TS3 also ADDED more for the series to grow into something worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gXiw5URNM

TS4
    The first time in Sims history where supposedly a sequel leaves out a life stage and pools since it were first introduced. Not only that it didn't ADD anything worthwhile compared to what TS2 and TS3 base games did and most definitely didn't build upon the continuation of the series. How do you just forget TS3 like it never existed? I am impressed by PROGRESSION not regression. I get the feeling that TS4 is nothing more than living inside a goldfish bowl. Feeling trapped. Can't go there even if it's next door or across the street even though can see it. Everything feels so fake, so unbelievable, completely losing any immersion. Realism is gone while everything over-the-top takes focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00mK3Pxc8w

These trailers are great -- thanks for posting! They also make me sad....

Just remembering the hours of entertainment and 'escape' The Sims has given me over the past few years. The excitement of new possibilities when a new expansion pack comes out. Finding the little personality quirks and odd, funny behaviors of your sims. Creating the perfect town for your Sims and making each world your own. Exploring every nook and cranny of each new world. Building dream houses, shacks, cottages, cabins -- anything you could dream up. Being able to then decorate your creations and sims in whatever themes/colors/textures that you wanted. Such endless creative possibilities (without a mess to clean up)! All this is what I LOVED about The Sims -- to me, it is/was the BEST GAME EVER (flaws, glitches and all).

The sadness comes in because I'm just not feeling this wonder and excitement with TS4 and I can't pinpoint any one 'missing' thing as the reason why.... I'm a creative person IRL (paint, design, craft, make), so is it the lack of customization features? I don't know, honestly. It's just *something*....

But I truly want the series to succeed and do amazingly well so that I can have those feelings back either down the road with 4 or with an all new TS5. :) In the meantime, I have TS3 to fill those needs.

Indeed, I feel very similar. I can't quite pinpoint any one thing that is the problem for me, but I think it is the combination of many small things. I have always been a player that plays my way. I used to build entire towns with all of the municipal and service buildings. Every career had a location with proper skilling objects. It was my fantasy and the game allowed me the creative freedom to build it and play it. That is what I LOVED most about the first 2 games.

With TS3, some of those freedoms were scaled back, especially when we could no longer create a new world right away, but it still offered so many customization features. It was still revolutionary in a way.

But now, TS4 has stripped everything away. The world's are too small and there is no way to create our own; we can't even place more lots if we want to. Can't recolor without adding gigabytes to the mods folder. The careers are so catered to people who dream of fame that it is nearly impossible to play a normal game of life. The series has definitely removed itself from what many people loved about the franchise. It has gone seeking the younger generation, who frankly, are uninterested. And the rest of us are just here, wondering will it get better or should we give up on it? Honestly, I'm giving up on it. I will play with what I have, but I'm not investing in its future.
  • Options
    MauveeMauvee Posts: 185 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »

Nah EA was sneaky and only had a 24 hour gurantee and there were so many problems with the returning process. As well as customer service not being helpful so people got stuck with it as well...

Actually it was easy to return, it took 45 minutes so there weren't any real issues.

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Mauvee wrote: »

Actually it was easy to return, it took 45 minutes so there weren't any real issues.

The ammount of returns that game must have had though...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Well whose fault is it in the first place if this is a flop? Would it be the people who made it, or the people who won't buy it?
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited November 2014
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Well whose fault is it in the first place if this is a flop? Would it be the people who made it, or the people who won't buy it?

I'm not saying that Sims 4 is a flop, but in generality if something doesn't succeed it either A: isn't a good product to begin with or B: not marketed properly. It is not the responsibility of the public to buy something they are either not interested in or unimpressed by.

Edit: also another reason something doesn't succeed is C: too much competition, but since there isn't another game like Sims 4, that doesn't really apply here.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member

For the game itself, the developers and company. For not buying it, the people who do not buy it. Blaming people who will not buy the Sims 4 is like blaming people who don't eat at a failing restaurant for not going to the restaurant and eating their bland food, though.
  • Options

The people who made it... I think TS4 would have sold better if despite the missing features had the release price had been cheaper. The price was far too expensive at the time for a game that was just released with so much nothing going for it. After black friday and christmas I assume EA will have more sales but they game was not worth the 70 bucks that was being asked.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

The people who made It. Why is that even a question posed? Whether it is poorly made or bad marketing and PR, it is still their fault.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Mauvee wrote: »

No option of return for those of us with discs.