Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Being told that I have to put things on a lot under a certain category is boring

To me a lounge is not a bar so I shouldn't HAVE to have a bar there. Let me build what I want dang it!

Comments

• Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Well to be fair most lounges do have bars lol...

But i totally get you! I want to be able to put what ever I want on my venues.

Placing them as generic doesn't work. The sims walk by your venue, but never go into it.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I agree. There should be a visitors allowed generic lot where we can add any game objects which other Sims will use. Requiring specific objects for specific lot types puts a very real limitation on individual players' imaginations.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    More World/Lot Management options! Aye!
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Why did EA do this?

I guess because they want us to play their way, not ours *sigh*
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    Well most lounges do serve beverages of sorts, blame the lounge fly I guess
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    To me a lounge is not a bar so I shouldn't HAVE to have a bar there. Let me build what I want dang it!

I so agree with you. Why do we have to designate buildings to be particular buildings in this game? There isn't any story progression or rabbit holes so why is this game programmed that way? I hope someone ask a guru on twitter or in the chats. Why have they changed the formula in The Sims from TS1 or TS2 style to continue with the TS3 setup of building a community lot? Does that make sense in this game? Yes, I guess if you play the linear careers and or aspirations and required to workout at the 'gym' or get tips at the 'lounge' or stuff like that...but The Sims used to be about creativity and freedom and if you build it, the Sims used to just show up and use it. I really hate being pigeon holed in this game again like we were in the TS3. I just don't get why they didn't go back to TS1 or TS2 style and allow players to build whatever they want any way they want and why this game dictates what can be on lots and why they have to have a specific tag.

This is also another thing for my con list. Which is longer than my pro list.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    What does lounge mean to you? I can't think of a public or commercial lounge anywhere that doesn't have some kind of bar included. Heck, even at the airport, the lounges have bars.

As for venues, I would love more venues, mixed venues, the ability to make generic venues either public or private, etc. But it makes sense to me to use the objects and items placed on a lot to designate the venue. Especially since objects have different levels of interest for the Sims. If they'd simply used labels for the venues and let you placed whatever you want, how many people would complain that none of the sims will visit their lounge and it turns out they didn't place anything that would draw the sims in? That's how I see it and, generally, the requirements aren't all that excessive for the different venues.

I've got a 50x50 lot I'm making mixed use (a sort of shopping village with multiple different venues on it). I labelled it a Park and have most of the required park items in a 5x5 area in one corner. If you don't want the main part of the lounge to have a bar in it, place the bar in some inconspicuous place out of the way--no one will know but it will still fill the requirements so the lot can be labelled as a lounge.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    All the "designate buildings system" and the tiny hoods inside the neighbourhoods, and the lack of terrain tools, and the impossibility of editing the open areas are obviously remaining features from the online game they were creating I guess, it is the only reason for them, the coding of the core of the game was prepared to be online and these features must be hard to change without remaking the whole game.

If the game was an online one there should be a restriction in the customization of the "playing board" (so to say) in order to make it a common place for the ingoing players, and of course the subneighbourhoods would be the playing tables where the players would be entering...
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    BTW in TS3 you have the option to mark a lot as "visitors allowed" and put whatever you want in it, even several RHs, shops, bars etc, all in one, and you will have all the sims in town going around it no matter which their interests/traits/ages are and using every thing you have placed on it
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    junceda wrote: »
    BTW in TS3 you have the option to mark a lot as "visitors allowed" and put whatever you want in it, even several RHs, shops, bars etc, all in one, and you will have all the sims in town going around it no matter which their interests/traits/ages are and using every thing you have placed on it

Yes, I know, but without story progression and traits mattering so much whether a Sim shows up or not at specific lots, then it made no sense to continue this. Unless they are directly tied to the linear requirements of the aspirations and or careers requiring specific places a Sim must go inorder to level up. That's the kicker there. Most of them require specific places so the Sim can fill the next level and that makes it a designated game not a freeform game. It's one step more controlled gameplay than even the TS3 was/is.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    It's truly a pain in the rear. I liked the old school way of doing it. I can build whatever I want on it and if by some chance I included a rabbit hole or object that designated the lot, then it would set automatically. I do not like being pigeonholed into building with objects I don't want to use. Now whenever I build a lot, it is almost always designated as a park no matter what it's purpose, simply because I want a variety of sims there. I've given up on this game. I'm going to play my way, whether it makes sense or not.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    junceda wrote: »

Yes, I know, but without story progression and traits mattering so much whether a Sim shows up or not at specific lots, then it made no sense to continue this. Unless they are directly tied to the linear requirements of the aspirations and or careers requiring specific places a Sim must go inorder to level up. That's the kicker there. Most of them require specific places so the Sim can fill the next level and that makes it a designated game not a freeform game. It's one step more controlled gameplay than even the TS3 was/is.

I don't have to go to a bar to level up in anything, nor a lounge or museum.
    Gym maybe, but I usually have equipment at home.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Oh you mean community lots?
    Lounges and bars are pretty much the same thing. I don't think anybody in the UK calls them lounges.
    Besides I couldn't call them bars unless there were actual spirits involved. (There might be a mod for me somewhere).
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Suenell73Suenell73 Posts: 83 Member
    So how DO we label these lots especially if we have rabbit holes on them? I bought the "Stone's Throw" greenhouse & put my bakery in it along with the professional dive bar but now how do I label the lot? I'd LIKE to buy the lot so I can make adjustments to it as needed but if I just label it as "Visitors Allowed" I don't think I can buy it then.
  • Options
    alfardialfardi Posts: 116 Member
    Remember: You Rule. ;)
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I haven't made any community lots yet, but aren't there strict rules for parks, like having to have playground equipment?
  • Options
    kimmyfrmtxkimmyfrmtx Posts: 140 Member
    there is a mod for that: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=543444
    no venue requirements
    The sims 4: I give up.
    Maxis and EA have killed the sims. RIP
  • Options
    ChazLee86ChazLee86 Posts: 296 Member
    I did get very annoyed after creating an outdoor wedding venue as a generic lot, only to find out I couldn't hold my Sims' wedding there. So after spending a long time building the lot I had to set it to park and add in a jungle gym, monkey bars and a chess table which i put behind some trees to try to hide them from my view...it does feel very limited in just building lots for your sims to use.
    http://sims4100babies.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! Enjoy as the drama unravels...
  • Options
    Lollipop234Lollipop234 Posts: 251 Member
    Again... who came up with this? What is the advantage for us if we are forced to put certain objects on a specific lot? Nothing! They could have just leave it as it was, there was no need to wasts time and resources just to program these requirements.
    If I don't want to have a jungle gym at my park, let that be my problem!
    I'm playing the Sims since day 1.
    I hate my username (Please forgive my younger self)
    Origin ID: VanillaxSimmer
    Raines legacy family tree

Visit my simblr!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Except for the fact that you can literally put what you want. I made a bar without a bar and people go to it all the time. It's literally just recommendations, if you save without the "requirements" it'll just say incomplete on the map but sims will still visit it and hang out.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    ChazLee86ChazLee86 Posts: 296 Member
    Except for the fact that you can literally put what you want. I made a bar without a bar and people go to it all the time. It's literally just recommendations, if you save without the "requirements" it'll just say incomplete on the map but sims will still visit it and hang out.

I didn't realize you could leave a lot incomplete and still have Sims visit.

If you have an incomplete "park" for example will it show up on your party venue options?

I will go and find out...
    http://sims4100babies.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! Enjoy as the drama unravels...
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

You don't have to complete a lot, it just means less designated Sims.

People complained about lots being empty in the Sims 3. So in the Sims 4, just like a Sim is designated to a Cash Register, now they are attached to a particular object, to make sure your lots are always busy.

The reason why Generic Lots are empty is because no Sims are designated to the lot, so only casual visitors visit (aka Sims 3 and Empty lots).

---

If you visit the Library over and over for example, you'll realise that it's often the same Sims in the Library. Literally because the game has assigned a Sim to use the object, so no more empty lots. It's a great idea, and I wish the Sims 3 used it.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    /...

If you visit the Library over and over for example, you'll realise that it's often the same Sims in the Library. Literally because the game has assigned a Sim to use the object, so no more empty lots. It's a great idea, and I wish the Sims 3 used it.

NO
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    punky_sim_specklepunky_sim_speckle Posts: 116 Member
    Yea i hate having to have certain things on the lot, i wish we had just a standard visitors allowed lot like we had in the sims 3. It would make life alot easier when building your own community lots.
  • Options
    MissTexasBMissTexasB Posts: 372 Member
    I haven't built or redesigned a public lot so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. If we don't put things on the lot that the game wants, for example a "lounge" without a bar, can we still use the lot? I've seen in some Let's Plays they have a symbol over lots and it being mentioned that they were still working on it. Does the game even allow sims to visit the lot if it doesn't have everything? How do you know what's missing, is there a check list?