The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm starting to notice the details

Comments

• Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    Okay, either brain fart or I simply don't know...what is ISBI?

Someone probably answered already, but here goes. ISBI is the "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" challenge. It's like a mini-legacy only you only control one sim. You cannot look at your other sims or tell them to do things or cancel what they're doing. If you've ever played an Asylum, you know how crazy this could get. When your heir reaches young adulthood, your "torch holder" (the controllable) stops being controllable and you take over the heir and continue on.

• Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    MJ3 wrote: »
    Now that they take care of themselves more efficiently and don't "have" to be micromanaged, AND they don't have to drop everything they're doing to socialize, it's great just sitting back and watching. I realized how much speeding up the game had become a habit for me. I'm playing slower with TS4 because it's so much more fun!

I've noticed this too. I've completely changed the way I play. This is the first sims game that I have a tendency to play on speed 1. It's also the first one I stay zoomed in on them with. I always played zoomed out so I could manage the entire lot/household. Now I zoom in, watch them, and keep things at an even pace.

Since Sims 2 days, I was never one of those players that viewed my Sims from way up above, playing on high speed, and queuing up bunches of interactions for one Sim to do to another. With Sims 2 we were finally able to zoom in close--be right inside the house at face level with our Sims--and watch the little nuances of flashing, sparkling eyes when they talked to each other and the other myriad, wonderful facial expressions they exhibited. I took complete advantage of that feature of playing up close, and it became my habit to play slow and really watch my Sims "thinking."

There has always been so much to see in their faces and body language--shall I use the word "emotions"--that would otherwise be missed if you were playing up too high, too fast, and spamming commands. It was there even in Sims 3 if you were looking for it. I always noticed it. So imagine my delight when the Sims Team first introduced the Sims 4 by saying "The eyes are the window to the soul.." with that picture focusing on Sims' eyes, and all the talk about emotions. I knew just what they meant, and was overjoyed at what was to come! So, yes, I'm even more happy with these new Sims than ever before! :D

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    edited October 2014
    Terrylin wrote: »

I believe I am guilty of thinking you liked the sims being more autonomous. I did let my sims do their own thing at first either. No No Sims run Amok!! EA had trained me well LOL! But I will say it is the little private moment that are loving with either spouse or child that is so fun to watch. The being drawn to each other and enjoying said draw. If mine are spending more time talking than eating you betcha I x out conversation. Yep still some control freak in me! >:)

Oh, no I'm not. I just started an ISBI challenge with TS2.

In TS2 they'll pay attention to each other- couples together, kids together so to me that's not learning anything something new. But skilling with books on their own is something I wouldn't like. Going to paint, use the guitar if I buy them one- fun things are fine because I buy it for them to use when bored.

I don't have to micro manage ever move- that's not it either. I guess it's hard to explain what I like- I don't want to watch them live their lives because they don't need me but I don't want to micro-manage they're every move, which I've never done. Don't assume I want to micro manage. That would be tedious. :lol:

Townies causing drama in community lots is something that's always happened too. So... I just am not sure about this game and what's so great besides them doing everything and me only needing to watch. I did read Sims will leave the lot on their own- not liking that. :(

*I've never played Zoomed out- I've always had my view in the rooms and moving around to enjoy my Sims (2). :D
  • Options
    conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member
    I love the way my sims, act a lot of times knowing what they need before I do, of course it could be that I was just not paying attention having focused on something else I wanted them to do. I too could careless about toddlers, but can also see why some want them in there game. I love that they can do more than one thing at a time. Makes leveling easier. Just wish it didn't take them so long to eat. lol But with everything else I am getting I can live with it.
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

I believe I am guilty of thinking you liked the sims being more autonomous. I did let my sims do their own thing at first either. No No Sims run Amok!! EA had trained me well LOL! But I will say it is the little private moment that are loving with either spouse or child that is so fun to watch. The being drawn to each other and enjoying said draw. If mine are spending more time talking than eating you betcha I x out conversation. Yep still some control freak in me! >:)

In TS2 they'll pay attention to each other- couples together, kids together so to me that's not learning anything something new. But skilling with books on their own is something I wouldn't like. Going to paint, use the guitar if I buy them one- fun things are fine because I buy it for them to use when bored.

I don't have to micro manage ever move- that's not it either. I guess it's hard to explain what I like- I don't want to watch them live their lives because they don't need me but I don't want to micro-manage they're every move, which I've never done. Don't assume I want to micro manage. That would be tedious. :lol:

Townies causing drama in community lots is something that's always happened too. So... I just am not sure about this game and what's so great besides them doing everything and me only needing to watch. I did read Sims will leave the lot on their own- not liking that. :(

*I've never played Zoomed out- I've always had my view in the rooms and moving around to enjoy my Sims (2). :D

LOL I hear you!! Actually I believe we play allot alike! I do micro manage when I want something done but when they are done then I do let them do their own thing. I think what I am trying to say is when they do do their own thing it isn't the irritating play something till they drop or read a book till they become zombies. They tend to do productive things. Ye my child loved to paint and would go out and paint on her own which is 2 birds with one stone for it also did her aspiration at the same time. But she wasn't obsessed with it. they actually work with you in the sense that they seem to know what should be done and go to do it. Like cleaning up. I don't have to have a maid and very rarely have to tell my sims to clean up for one of them just goes and does it. Be it a sink, tub or dishes they just do it on their own. Only one of my sims is a neat sim and she very rarely cleans. LOL
    I do like that they will read anything equally because it is the first time a sim has willingly went and read a skill book in any of my sim games. :)

I loved doing the Asylum Challenge in TS2. Is ISBI sorta the same?

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited October 2014

For me, it's a lot like sims 2 but with more personality and more for them to do. I've been an S2 fan all these years. It was my game until this one came out. I still keep thinking I want to play S2, but then I wind up firing up S4 and playing it instead. It's too bad you can't try it out for more than 24 hours to see what you think of it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    Just needed to say that....and toddlers? Like in t2? ;)

I don't think they said toddlers were coming back.
  • Options
    KellyWhovianKellyWhovian Posts: 177 Member
    I love the detail in the game too :)
    My sim takes 5 pictures of his food everytime he eats XD
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simsnetwork.com%2Fsites%2Fsimsnetwork.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F2011%2F20111008-pets-anim-3.gif&f=1
    Origin ID: kellywhovian

• Options
    Lol. Sounds like my RL daughter.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Simley wrote: »
    I totally love the way Townies stroll around the neighborhood, stop to chat or use their cellphones, completely independent of what my own Sims are doing. I also love that I don't see the same Sims in the neighborhood every time. It's fun to take a Sim out walking or jogging because you have no idea who they will run into.

People who think Sims 4 doesn't have an open world -- it does, in its own way. The lots are huge. When you visit the art museum, there is also a garden and a waterside picnic area and walking paths. It isn't just the museum. And there are lots of Sims everywhere to interact with. There are so many wonderful details in the game based around socialization. It is fun that other Sims will walk up and join your Sims' conversation (though it would be nice to be able to dismiss them sometimes). I do miss non-verbal socialization options from Sims 2 that could raise fun, like scissors-paper-rock etc. But what is in the game outweighs what's missing.
    I think people who try to convince the people who think Sims 4 doesn't have an open world by stating it has 'in its own way', just don't understand what open world means to those people ;) Gameplay wise I mean.
    Now that they take care of themselves more efficiently and don't "have" to be micromanaged, AND they don't have to drop everything they're doing to socialize, it's great just sitting back and watching. I realized how much speeding up the game had become a habit for me. I'm playing slower with TS4 because it's so much more fun!

I've noticed this too. I've completely changed the way I play. This is the first sims game that I have a tendency to play on speed 1. It's also the first one I stay zoomed in on them with. I always played zoomed out so I could manage the entire lot/household. Now I zoom in, watch them, and keep things at an even pace.
    My Sims 3 game only goes on speed 3 during the night and I zoom in all the time (to watch them and to take pictures). And yesterday I watched my son playing Sims 4 (he likes the game a lot) and to my surprise he was speeding it up all the time. So I think this is really very personal.
    I must admit by the way I prefer having to decide everything for my sims; I don't want to sit back and watch them do their thing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

LOL I hear you!! Actually I believe we play allot alike! I do micro manage when I want something done but when they are done then I do let them do their own thing. I think what I am trying to say is when they do do their own thing it isn't the irritating play something till they drop or read a book till they become zombies. They tend to do productive things. Ye my child loved to paint and would go out and paint on her own which is 2 birds with one stone for it also did her aspiration at the same time. But she wasn't obsessed with it. they actually work with you in the sense that they seem to know what should be done and go to do it. Like cleaning up. I don't have to have a maid and very rarely have to tell my sims to clean up for one of them just goes and does it. Be it a sink, tub or dishes they just do it on their own. Only one of my sims is a neat sim and she very rarely cleans. LOL
    I do like that they will read anything equally because it is the first time a sim has willingly went and read a skill book in any of my sim games. :)

An ISBI is a challenge where you only control one Sim until the next generation is a day away from becoming an adult- then the next torch holder (only controllable Sim) is the only one we can control. Rules
    I guess it wouldn't be so hard if it's played in TS4 since they take good care of themselves.

I haven't even read the Legacy rules because I don't want to be sad either way. Weird, right? :D

I have no problem waiting. I'm not going to buy hoping EA will make the game I want to play this time. I'll just wait until I'm sure I'll like it or the price goes down enough for me. I'm actually having fun playing TS2. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    @Rflong 7, the poorer AI is what made ISBI and Asylum challenges fun. Sims 3 AI was better than Sims 2. It also didn't have a lot of the Sims 2 reactions. I still think Sims 2 made for the funniest challenges. I tried an asylum in Sims 4 on my first household. It just wasn't the same. An IBSI would probably be a breeze unless new rules penalized the player for sims not achieving certain levels of skill, etc., since they will voluntarily read skill books.
  • Options
    @Rflong 7, the poorer AI is what made ISBI and Asylum challenges fun. Sims 3 AI was better than Sims 2. It also didn't have a lot of the Sims 2 reactions. I still think Sims 2 made for the funniest challenges. I tried an asylum in Sims 4 on my first household. It just wasn't the same. An IBSI would probably be a breeze unless new rules penalized the player for sims not achieving certain levels of skill, etc., since they will voluntarily read skill books.

Could you just remove the skill books? Most skills don't need books any more. Of course, that might not work so well. Especially since they can still skill simply by talking about certain topics.
  • Options

An ISBI is a challenge where you only control one Sim until the next generation is a day away from becoming an adult- then the next torch holder (only controllable Sim) is the only one we can control. Rules
    I guess it wouldn't be so hard if it's played in TS4 since they take good care of themselves.

I haven't even read the Legacy rules because I don't want to be sad either way. Weird, right? :D

I have no problem waiting. I'm not going to buy hoping EA will make the game I want to play this time. I'll just wait until I'm sure I'll like it or the price goes down enough for me. I'm actually having fun playing TS2. :mrgreen:

I agree that if I was gonna wait TS2 is the best to be doing my waiting with!
    I so enjoyed the challenges in TS2. They were so much fun. It was so hard to get the same fun out of TS3.
    I will look at the rules and see about trying out the ISBI challenge in TS4.
    To answer the skill book thing. You only get like I think 3 skill books in the bookcase. The rest you have to buy so yes I believe you could delete them and be skill book free! :)

• Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member

I agree that if I was gonna wait TS2 is the best to be doing my waiting with!
    I so enjoyed the challenges in TS2. They were so much fun. It was so hard to get the same fun out of TS3.
    I will look at the rules and see about trying out the ISBI challenge in TS4.
    To answer the skill book thing. You only get like I think 3 skill books in the bookcase. The rest you have to buy so yes I believe you could delete them and be skill book free! :)

I'm currently doing an ISBI challenge and on my 3rd Torch Holder. In TS4 you don't get any skill books in the bookcase. I do buy them for the Torch Holder, but the other sims (a couple of whom have been bookworms) don't read them enough to get more than two or three skill points from them. So far the only skill a non-Torch Holder has maxed has been cooking; in both cases it was the previous Torch Holder who did it, having been at level 9 when his or her daughter became a young adult.

I never tried one in TS2 or 3, but I will say that it's very entertaining (although sometimes frustrating) in TS4. I've had a couple of sims pass out (-5) each time and one bladder failure with a pregnant sim (her husband, who didn't need to go as badly, sneaked into the upstairs bathroom ahead of her, the rat). One thing I like is that I'm not forcing the affectionate interactions among my family members. I like them to all get along, but I didn't like it in TS3 that I had to make them talk to each other.

• Options
    I do like reading about what people like in the Sims 4. It helps me see if it'll be the game I'm interested in. :)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't bother skilling with books any more. I just let them build their skills naturally now. The only sims that read are my bookworms and a few geniuses.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member

I do this too. I don't rush through things like I did on Sims 3. I also zoom in so I can see them better. I take my time more because it seems there is more time in the day. I love the multitasking. I think that is the best thing. They can eat chips and watch TV and talk to someone all at the same time. They can do homework and chat. I even like watching them chew their food. LOL. I never really go this involved with my SIms 3 people. Maybe I was bored. I bet I had over 30+ saves over time. I had to keep taking them out. Now, I play one family, one game and can't seem to tear myself away. I also love how they hug each other, acknowledge each other and know one another.

The other day one of my kids saw their uncle at the park who came to his birthday party but never really met him and he ran over and hugged his uncle. It was really cute. I love this game.

• Options
    @kremesch73, I honestly haven't given much thought to IBSI rules for Sims 4, but you are absolutely correct. I'm so used to needing to visit a library or buy them in Sims 3 and in Sims 2 no sim I ever had voluntarily read one.

The larger problem IMO is that the AI makes sims much better at caring for themselves. I have yet to see a potty accident, which is something you lose points on in an IBSI and the cause of much hilarity in asylums. Challenges will need to come up with methods to capitalize on Sims 4 shenanigans so they can be equally as fun. I'm just a challenge player, not a creator, so I'll sit back and wait for some smart person to do it.

• Options
    @kremesch73, I honestly haven't given much thought to IBSI rules for Sims 4, but you are absolutely correct. I'm so used to needing to visit a library or buy them in Sims 3 and in Sims 2 no sim I ever had voluntarily read one.

The larger problem IMO is that the AI makes sims much better at caring for themselves. I have yet to see a potty accident, which is something you lose points on in an IBSI and the cause of much hilarity in asylums. Challenges will need to come up with methods to capitalize on Sims 4 shenanigans so they can be equally as fun. I'm just a challenge player, not a creator, so I'll sit back and wait for some smart person to do it.

Hm. I think only having one toilet and one shower. Cheapest and not upgraded. Remove all bookshelves. Stick to all cheap items. No upgrading allowed, and remove all fun things might offer some challenge. I will have to try this in a house of 6 (to allow enough room for 2 offspring).
  • Options

Hm. I think only having one toilet and one shower. Cheapest and not upgraded. Remove all bookshelves. Stick to all cheap items. No upgrading allowed, and remove all fun things might offer some challenge. I will have to try this in a house of 6 (to allow enough room for 2 offspring).

Yes, the most bathroom accidents in TS2 is from only having one bathroom- it makes them fussy and shoo each other out for a bath and potty break. I plan on having only one bathroom. :)

• Options

Yes, the most bathroom accidents in TS2 is from only having one bathroom- it makes them fussy and shoo each other out for a bath and potty break. I plan on having only one bathroom. :)

Well we also have the issue that cheap stuff breaks allot in TS4! So that will make it even more interesting because they can't use it if it is broken. :o What about the bills? How are you guys working that. In TS4 when you don't pay the elec-water gets turned off.
    My poor S2 sims suffered so. Not enough beds or chairs, no fun stuff. The fights were a riot. Then you reach the point to where 1 person died a day sometimes more. Fires were all the time.
    Man I don't think I could pull it off in TS4 but maybe. Have to work on it and see! >:)
    New game tomorrow! ;)

• Options

Well we also have the issue that cheap stuff breaks allot in TS4! So that will make it even more interesting because they can't use it if it is broken. :o What about the bills? How are you guys working that. In TS4 when you don't pay the elec-water gets turned off.
    My poor S2 sims suffered so. Not enough beds or chairs, no fun stuff. The fights were a riot. Then you reach the point to where 1 person died a day sometimes more. Fires were all the time.
    Man I don't think I could pull it off in TS4 but maybe. Have to work on it and see! >:)
    New game tomorrow! ;)

Is water turned off too? I thought it was just electricity.

If it's just electricity. I would definitely let the bills go unpaid. A BBQ will suffice.

The only issue with this method is having the utilities shut off, it affects the entire neighbourhood.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

New game tomorrow! ;)

Is water turned off too? I thought it was just electricity.

If it's just electricity. I would definitely let the bills go unpaid. A BBQ will suffice.

The only issue with this method is having the utilities shut off, it affects the entire neighbourhood.

They said the latest patch fixed that so the sim can still go to the gym to shower, etc. That makes it for the sim's house only.

• Options
    SimleySimley Posts: 284 Member
    I think people who try to convince the people who think Sims 4 doesn't have an open world by stating it has 'in its own way', just don't understand what open world means to those people ;) Gameplay wise I mean.

I shouldn't have said "people who think" -- what I meant was people who haven't yet seen the game. I was very surprised when I got it because I'd read so much about what a dire wreck of a Facebook game it is. I wasn't expecting anything like what The Sims 4 really is.
    I must admit by the way I prefer having to decide everything for my sims; I don't want to sit back and watch them do their thing.

I like that the Sims have autonomy but I don't want them to be so perfect that they never get themselves into trouble. A little chaos is good. I haven't seen a single fire yet in Sims 4. Usually the first thing they do is set the kitchen on fire! No bathroom accidents, no passing out from exhaustion... they don't need me so much. Too bad, I miss that.