Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Royal Kingdom Challenge

Comments

• Options
    KimeleonKimeleon Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2014
    Tota wrote:
    Ok, I must say that I put that rule in from another RKC that someone had made, I guess I assumed they had play-tested the scenario so I did not do it myself.

I will test to kill a child sim with the Nraas mod that I use, and see how this works out.

I will have to play-test also without a mod. Sticking in a sim into a household gives the household new funds, which can't be done, this to keep the whole economic balance in the town. I see if I can think out a solution. The whole point of getting your children sick and dying is that it will be a disadvantage for the family, not the other way around.

Thanks for all the input Seera1024 and Kimeleon :)

Great, let us know how you make out trying to kill a child ;-) Which Nraas mod are you using for that? I've been reluctant to use any mods in my game other than Overwatch, I found that StoryProgression really slowed my game down too much and it was just too painful in the end to keep it.

My plan was just to let the baby/toddler age up and then have them die as they become children, but it would be more realistic to have them die right then and there! If you can believe it, I rolled another "1" so that's two kids waiting to die :-(
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited June 2014
    Tota wrote:
    Ok, I must say that I put that rule in from another RKC that someone had made, I guess I assumed they had play-tested the scenario so I did not do it myself.

I will test to kill a child sim with the Nraas mod that I use, and see how this works out.

I will have to play-test also without a mod. Sticking in a sim into a household gives the household new funds, which can't be done, this to keep the whole economic balance in the town. I see if I can think out a solution. The whole point of getting your children sick and dying is that it will be a disadvantage for the family, not the other way around.

Thanks for all the input Seera1024 and Kimeleon :)

There are ways to figure out the excess funds. And you have to figure a portion of your players will want to go sans mods. So while no moodlet and no grave for ghosts aren't ideal for the challenge, they at least keep the danger of loosing the last chance of the heir should someone keep having the wrong gender.

Create Move Out Sim. Put him into the cheapest empty lot possible and family funds him to zero. See if you can't family funds him to negative however much the lot cost. Move Sim out. He's either got nothing or just a small amount of money to deal with. Save him to the bin at this point for future usage.

If he's got money, buy that amount of money's worth of items to stuff in the guy's inventory for deletion when he moves out with the kid.

First step is to reduce the amount of money the guy brings in to reduce the amount of items needed. Which is obviously not needed.

Or you can familyfunds the money away.

I've got a Sim in my Sims 2 Build a City challenge named University Taxes. Because the hack I was using to make taxes easier was a check writing hack. And I had to send the check to someone. Townie was too risky. So I made a CAS Sim illegally to send the checks to. I also use this Sim to correct household names.

Move Out Sim would serve that kind of purpose. Logistical.

The only other non-mod choice is to allow for the death to occur about 3-4 days later and cake the kid every day until they reach teen.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    The only other non-mod choice is to allow for the death to occur about 3-4 days later and cake the kid every day until they reach teen.

@Seera1024 - great suggestions, thank you! I think I prefer to "cake the kid" so the family can mourn the kid's death but it's not ideal. Is there a mod I could use in order to kill them off sooner? Sheesh, who knew it was so hard to kill a Sim! ;-)
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kimeleon wrote:
    Seera1024 wrote:

@Seera1024 - great suggestions, thank you! I think I prefer to "cake the kid" so the family can mourn the kid's death but it's not ideal. Is there a mod I could use in order to kill them off sooner? Sheesh, who knew it was so hard to kill a Sim! ;-)

I don't know exactly, but I would imagine Master Controller might have a way.

I would however at least cake up to kid if you want to avoid odd issues with ghosts. At least make them toddlers.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    I don't know exactly, but I would imagine Master Controller might have a way.

I would however at least cake up to kid if you want to avoid odd issues with ghosts. At least make them toddlers.

Good advice, thanks!
  • Options
    KoveeKovee Posts: 880 Member
    edited June 2014
    Tota wrote:
    Royal Kingdom Challenge

Here is a mod for a career in a church.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=428999

Here one for monarch job too!

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=485992

from the original post by enblith

You need:
    - A new neighborhood
    - 1 royal family: 1 King (Young Adult/Adult/Elder) and 1 Queen (YA/A), and any number of servants (optional)
    - 2 noble class families: 1 Lord (YA/A/E) and 1 Lady (YA/A), and any number of servants per household (optional)
    - 2 merchant class families: 1 male (YA/A/E) and 1 female (young adult or adult) per family
    - 2 peasant class families: 1 male (YA/A/E) and 1 female (YA/A) per family
    - 1 monastery/church family: 1 male/female (YA/A/E) #

Only 1 family of each class is ok too

Playmode

I play all my families, but I guess you could only play one if you'd like
    I play each family the same amount of time
    I've added other "odd" households (wizards, trolls, witches etc.) to fill my neighborhood. I have story progression on for them

I use NRaas StoryProgression mod to allow me to set story progression off for my households and let the rest of the neighborhood have SP on. I also use it to transfer money from lower classes to the higher classes, according to the Taxation System

Goal
    The point of this challenge is to make a themed neighborhood with a royal family, nobility, merchants, and peasants and reach 5 generations with at least one family from each category.

OPTIONS
    Theme
    If medieval isn't your style you can also play this challenge with another theme such as Victorian, Gothic, Egyptian, fantasy or any other theme that suits you.

Church
    If you want to play with a church, you will have to add a church/chapel and monastery/abbey to your neighborhood that you can send sims to that you don't want to marry. Sims of the church are considered a separate class with their own rules. Church rules are marked with #

Moving Out Sims
    If you move out a member of the family to create another household you can either choose to add it to your play list and play the household as any of the others, or just move them out and let SP take care of them.

Family-trait
    When creating each household's founders in CAS, choose one of the founder's 5 traits to become the "family trait". There after, every sim born to that family must possess this trait by the time they reach young adulthood. If they do not inherit it at birth, you must choose that trait the moment you are given the option. The remaining traits still must be rolled for.

Patriarchy/Matriarchy
    The challenge rules have been written assuming that the game play is of a patriarchal society (male inheritance of land and title), however, you can choose to play a matriarchy instead. All rules that apply to either males/females should then be reversed to apply to the opposite sex. These rules are marked with **
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    TotaTota Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited June 2014
    Kovee?
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I used Nraas Master Controller to kill a sim child (toddler) without a problem, the grave was to be found at the mausoleom. So I would suggest using that. I think that trying to use this rule without a mod is too complicated so I would suggest not playing with the rule if one does not want to use a mod. I will make a note in the rules.

Happy simming everybody :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    I'm considering introducing dowries to the game, since my second generation sims are about to start to get married. Anybody that wants to contribute with ideas? What are good sums for climbing the ladder? What rules should be applied?

Something like:
    50 000 simoleons for merchants or peasants to marry 1 step up
    100 000 simoleons for merchants or peasants to marry 2 steps up

Any ideas and thoughts are welcomed :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    MichelleLynn01MichelleLynn01 Posts: 455 Member
    Hi! I don't have a response to your idea concerning dowries (however I think it's a great idea!) but I did want to mention that you've inspired me to start my own RKC!

I want to do a more fantasy type kingdom filled with supernatural sims and elves (basically human sims with pointy ears I guess) but looking at Castle Keep I would have to change too much of the setting to give it the fantasy look I want. I found a great post here about altering Dragon Valley into more of a fantasy setting so I'm going to start with that!

I believe you mentioned on your blog that you don't use CC (or very little anyway) yet your sims look fantastic! Do you have any tips/tricks to share about what you do use in terms of outfits/hairstyles/accessories/etc. and where they're from? :)
    CkglUD.jpg
  • Options
    Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    @Tota---I like the idea of dowries (though I mixed this challenge with the Random one, so I'm not sure I'd be able to use dowries, lol), however, I don't think peasants could have dowries...other than cows/chickens (store items) maybe?. Merchants could conceivably come up with a large enough dowry to tempt some pauper Lord to marry their daughter, haha! But that is just my opinion. :)

The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • Options
    @MichelleLynn01--- Oh, I love the idea of a fantasy RKC, what a great idea :D I'm so glad I inspired you to start your own RKC, I wish you all the luck putting together your town :)

Regarding CC, I do not use any CC at all :D what I do use a lot is the create-a-style tool, and buy items at the store. When it comes to create-a-style my tip is to find some patterns that you like and suit your purpose and save them to your favorites. For example, I use patterns with a rough texture for the lower classes and patterns with intricate forms for the upper classes. I recolor them and use a lot of brown and beige, I never use a completely white color and try to avoid bright colors.

Here are two examples:

peasant.jpg
    royal.jpg

I think there are some great outfits in-game that only need a little bit of recoloring, but I guess my most use sets from the store when it comes to which clothes I make my sims wear are:
    Tutor for Tudors
    Palace of Versailles
    Farm Fresh Folk Set

I hope this help :)

Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    @Nirar22--- I completely agree with you, my peasants can't even afford to travel, that is how hard the taxes are in Castle Keep. However, say that there is a peasant girl, a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 child, born out of wedlock, what if her real father was a great lord? Could he not pay the dowry to get her married well above her class? :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    @Tota - Thanks so much! I have a ton of stuff from the store already since I really liked the medieval fashions but until now I didn't really have anything to do with the stuff I bought. Lol. I'll show some screenshots as I alter Dragon Valley into a fantasy Kingdom setting. The only thing is that I really wish I could change the roads to not look so modern. And since I'm not the greatest home builder I'm finding lots of great stuff on the exchange in terms of the Royal and Noble castles. :D
    CkglUD.jpg
  • Options
    Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    @Tota---well, you do have a point there, lol So you would familyfunds that amount (50,000 or whatever you decided) out of the parents' fund and then who would it go to?

@MichelleLynn01---I don't know how involved you are in the makeover of Dragon Valley, nor do I know exactly what *look* you are going for, however there are some really neat medieval worlds out there now, Castle Keep is not the only one.

Here is one world I've been dying to use---Cotes d'Ambonnay He did a fabulous job with it, and there isn't any CC used, some store content I think.

A couple more:

Dracul Isle--- Pity that the pics can no longer be seen, but if you use google images and search Sims3 Dracul Isle, you can see what it looks like. Pretty sure this one does not have CC either, other than the rabbithole rugs are needed, unless you went through and buried the rabbitholes underground. That would be a fair amount of work though! (My Stone Kings story takes place here, the castles are amazing!)

Avalon---a very nice world, with some beautiful medieval style houses, but it has CC.

Simwood Forest
    ---if I remember correctly, this world had an issue with a sim dying and no grim reaper, Twallan fixed the issue for me a long time ago (years ago!!) in his ErrorTrap mod. I don't know if a patch or anything has fixed that issue (I still use ErrorTrap)---but it's a great world to get houses from if nothing else, lol

Darthtopia---takes a TON of CC, the neat thing about it, it has little sections for each of the supernatural types. Great buildings, the houses are mostly empty though, and the lot sizes are odd, and there isn't very much space for expanding sim families. Those are the reasons I don't use this world, but she did a really great job with it. :)

There are many more, but they would take more work, being mostly empty, or, for me, most of them were too small. Rownshire was one that was just too small (I like large sized worlds) and it needed to much work to get it ready for the challenge.

If you own Dragon Valley, there are a lot of usable clothes from that world, they just need a bit of recoloring, lol

Too much info there, sorry! I got carried away...I just happen to love medieval stuff! :D
    The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • Options
    Gaxili1Gaxili1 Posts: 212 Member
    I have started this challenge :) I can't post a link to my blog yet, as I was forced to create a new account for the new Sims forum. Will be updating as soon as possible :)
  • Options
    @Tota I think dowries are a great idea! Though it might be quite hard for a peasant family to gather 50,000 simelons, I guess they could save up for some generations to do so. I'm hoping you'll add dowries to your story :)
  • Options
    @Nirar22 - Thanks for the info on the different worlds! For some reason Cotes d'Ambonnay keep coming up as a 'troubled page' so I couldn't get a look at it. I might grab a couple of the other worlds for inspiration and house designs. I've never built a world before so some the CC they mention I don't really know what they're talking about. (Rabbithole rugs? huh? --> my first reaction. lol!) I came across a couple of these in my search but for some reason I can't find something that feels 'just right'.

While there are some beautiful worlds I'm looking for a very elfish (slightly fairy-ish even) fantasy setting, while a lot of these towns have a very 'human' feel to them if you know what I mean. If you've ever read the Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini then the setting for his elves mixed with LoTR would be my dream. However, trees grown in the structure of houses would be slightly impossible in game so I want to get as close to that nature look as I can. Although a castle made of wood isn't the best, so I'm playing around with ideas.

My kingdom will be mainly elves, but a few other supernatural types have settled in the kingdom along with some humans seeking refuge. So it's a very particular image I have in my head. Mainly elven with some human input thrown in over the centuries the kingdom has been around. Part of the reason I have started to alter Dragon Valley is because the feel of the town fits more with my idea of how I want the town to look (maybe a bit more LoTR than Paolini's elven forest but I'm trying!).

Wow, this post is longer than I meant for it to be! Sorry for rambling on but I wanted to share my idea for a kingdom without revealing too much plot. But thank you for the world suggestions! I may borrow some houses/castle/lot designs since you're right, they are very beautiful worlds! :D
    CkglUD.jpg
  • Options
    catycatcatcatycatcat Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi there! I've been reading your blog for quite a while, and I've looked at a few other RKC challenges, and as a lot of other people have said, it's really inspired me to start my own. I'm really interested/kind of self studying medieval royalty and just that time in general so I'm really interested in making one of my own.
    I've never actually made a sims blog - I know the challenge comes with a warning that it's only for hardcore players but I've decided to disregard that (perhaps to my peril :stuck_out_tongue: ) - so I was just wondering if you had any general tips for me? Also the town you used, would I need to get permission before making any posts using that town? I would credit it to the maker, but thought I'd ask someone who'd already done it!

Any help would really be appreciated, but I know it's a vague post, so, you know. :smile:
  • Options
    @Nirar22-- I've added the worlds that you posted to the resource page at the top, thank you for all the tips, they all look great :)

@Gaxili1-- I'm so glad to hear that you are starting a new blog, I've linked it to the start of this thread under RKC challenges

@MichelleLynn01-- You seem to have a great bakgroundstory for your story, what a great idea for an RKC, can't wait to read it :) I think remodelling Dragon Valley is a great idea too, it is a pretty nice world that I would like to explore myself, I'm sure you will make it great.

@catycatcat-- I'm so happy to hear that you are planning on starting an RKC, there are tons of tips and links in the first page of the thread, look there :) Ask me and I will try to help you out as you progress. I recommend to save a lot at the start, and play a couple of "test-rounds" to get a feeling for what kind of game-play you want to have, adjust your settings etc and then test again. I think the most important things to figure out at the start is what you want to do about aging, story progression and weather, find a way that works for you and makes your game-play fun :) Btw, since you seem to be knowledgeable about medieval society, what do you think about the suggestion of dowries?

This thread has really come to life since the new forums, maybe thanks to the "name-dropper"-function. Thank you all for contributing, it is really a lot of fun to share ideas and thoughts here with you :D
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    catycatcatcatycatcat Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks much for the advice, had a look at them a while ago but it's really helpful when I'm actually setting things up. Watch this space. :)

Yeah, I think it's a really good idea. I might be imagining it, but I thought I maybe saw it on one set of rules when I was looking around...I'll see if I can find those rules! They gave the amount as a % of the households money and possibly land, with the exception of peasants who could give their daughters furniture when they married, because there wouldn't generally be a lot of money kicking around. I don't know as much as I'd like to, because I really don't know if there was any specific laws about how much should be given etc - but giving land might be another thing to consider, (although I don't know if that would work in game very well). I think it depended on how much the family had/wanted to give, but that's just on observations of mine so they might be wrong. Anyway, I really like the idea of paying x amount to climb the ladder, keep the peasants down! :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for the rambling, ehe.
    Post edited by catycatcat on
  • Options
    @Tota I have a question. I am doing round 3, and my game started to crash randomly. I found out it was my peasant family causing this issue, so I had to remove them :-( Would it be all right if I put in a new one instead? I was not able to save them to my bin, as they had to be removed including their objects.
  • Options
    Of course @Gaxili1 I think it is fair to always do whatever it takes to fix bugs and crashes :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    @Thank you, Tota! :) The new family suits right in.
  • Options
    I've released a new chapter today, I missed my weekly release last week, so I might publish another one during the weekend. Enjoy :D

I.XII.III A Phoenix of Power

screenshot-323.jpg
    Of Kings and Castles

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top