Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Royal Kingdom Challenge

Comments

• Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited October 2013
    I love this challenge. So great to see that people are also doing this with the sims 3. Love it! I think I might try this too.
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited October 2013
    edit: messed with the messages...sorry
  • Options
    TotaTota Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited October 2013
    Jadeleine wrote:
    I love this challenge. So great to see that people are also doing this with the sims 3. Love it! I think I might try this too.

Hi there,
    I agree, this is by far my favorite challenge, although I've found it to be more challenging to play with TS3 than with TS2. I'd love to see what you do and how you play it :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I just made a quiz for readers of my story Of Kings and Castles that I hope you all want to take part in. Winners will get something from their TS3 wishlist :)

Of Kings and Castles Quiz

I hope you like it :D
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    SchobbesSchobbes Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Hello, Tota! I have just submitted my response to your quiz- hopefully not too late. It's still Saturday here... :P

Wow, it's been a while since I last logged into here. Only a couple of times since the Hallovins, methinks.

(Edited because I can't spell apparently)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Schobbes,
    great, it is not too late! :)
    Thank you for participating, I will be posting the results soon :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    Joe4leaderJoe4leader Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2013
    This sounds like a great challenge, I have done many royal sim families with their own palaces but can never find the right world to go with them. I think the longest running one I had was my Barnacle bay one, I think I had over 30 monarchs , it was German themed with names like Wilhelm, Augustus Leopold. I had quite a few Reigning Queens too, something like five Queen Lena's, two Queen Wilhelmina's and two Queen Marina's. I must say I got very obsessed with them. I would love to go. Thanks again and if you know any Royalish looking Sims 3 worlds let me know please.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Joe4leader,
    that sounds great, how fantastic that you managed to stick to your family for so long. I used auntilynd's custom world Castle Keep, check it out, I'm sure there are many more out there, let me know if you find any interesting worlds so I can add them to the resources.

Can't wait to see how things work out for you, if you take on the challenge :)
    /Tota
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    WhiteeeWhiteee Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Hey, Tota! :) This is a great challenge and as you know from my comment on your blog I'm starting my own project now. There is only one post as of now, about the rules I'm going to be following, but I'll be updating it with my families shortly :) Here's the link: http://afallonthesims.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/challenge-rules/
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Fantastic, keep it coming, can't wait to see what you have done.
    I'm so inspired by all our talk that I feel I have to play some more right away :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Challenge rules revision:

I have now played this game for about 8 rounds, that is I played all my households (8 ), 3 days per family, 8 times :)

I've noticed several things, for example, it is still not different enough to be raised in the peasant class from being raised in the royal class. So how can I make this even more different, I wonder.

Another thing is that I feel the Sims game does not provide enough randomize events to keep things interesting.

Further, I've also put some thoughts into the fact that "back in the days" infants/children died quite often, which could change a line of succession quite drastically.

After reading natasha699's TS3 RKC version I got inspired to introduce the following rules:

General rules:
    - There may not be a school in town. (Send the kids you can (according to the rules) to boarding school)
    - When a child is born and every birthday up until and including when they become a child, roll a dice, if the number is 1 the child dies
    - Nobility and Royalty should have public marriages, merchant can get married publicly and at home, whilst peasants only can get married at home

Peasant:
    - All animals has to be strays. May not purchase animals.
    - Children may not go to school
    - Animals may not live indoors

Every 4 rounds, throw a dice to choose a random event:

1. Religious Crusade: Everyone must pay extra tax towards the church. Royals and Nobels pay 25%, Merchants and Peasants pay 50%
    2. Plague: Roll 1 dice to see how many sims die. You must afterward kill that exact same amount of sims in game, they must be from at least 2 different classes.
    3. War: Everyone must pay 25% of all their money to the King.
    4. Golden Age: One free skill item for each household. (Easel, guitar, chess table, etc.)
    5. Religious Uprising: Everyone must deposit all their skill items into their family inventory, and must never move them out of there, therefor, forcing them to buy new ones.
    6. Royal Assassination: Roll a dice: 1, 2, the king dies. 3 and the queen dies. 4 the royal heir dies. 5 anyone (even servants living in the royal castle) dies, you pick who. 6 the assassination attempt fails, no one dies.

What do you think? :D
    Can't wait to try them out!
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    SanasunSanasun Posts: 12 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi Tota, I hope you remember me :)
    I really like the changes to the challenge rules. I hope to test them sooner or later!
    I had given up on playing TS3 for lack of time, but now I'm trying to continue the preparation of my Victorian neighbourhood :) (I have to thank the watching of Downton Abbey for that!).

About the new rules, I wonder what happen if I delete the school from the neighbourhood? Simply the kids don't go? You've already tried?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sanasun, welcome back, so glad to see you here again :)

I have tested to remove the schools, what happens is really nothing, the children just stay at home. However, these children, that are not sent to school, will get the "grow up badly" event at their next birthday, that is, not allowing you to choose their trait. This must not be all bad though, since some of my children have gotten pretty nice traits even though they had a bad childhood.

Can't wait to see your Victorian neighborhood, if you get time to finish it you should post some pictures here :)
    Hehe, Downtown Abbey is pretty inspiring I must agree :D
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I must add that I have adjusted these rules slightly again, after I have tested them, see the first page :)

I was struggling with the school issue, so I revised those rules a couple of times after game-play:

General rules:
    - There may not be a school in town. (Send the kids you can, according to the rules, to boarding school)
    - Only sims that have gone to school may read skill-gaining books, the only exceptions being genius sims and sims that have moved into the monastery

Peasant:
    - Children can not attend any boarding school (Gen)
    - Children may not go to school
    - No skill-advancing toys for toddlers allowed
    - Peasants may not attend skill-gaining classes

My thoughts are that peasant are mainly unable to read and thus learn things by reading/going to school. However, there might be a peasant genius sim, or a sim that goes into the clerical path to learn to read and write.
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well you know how time this challenge take, it's not easy dealing with real life! I've give another try :)

By the way I read something on your blog and I have more question (please don't hate me XD).

How do you change household with nraas story progression?
    And when you change to a new household, you give to the previous household the "non active RKC" caste and remove the "active family" caste, how do you do that? Before you switch the family?
    Because I see that I can manage the nraas option of a specific residential lot only If it's the active family!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sanasun,
    I'd love to answer your question, and I really enjoy talking about the challenge and how everything works, so don't worry about asking, on the contrary, I think it is great.

Ok, let us say that I will change from the d'Angerville household to the Monk household, this is how I do it, step by step:

1. I save the game
    2. Then I go to "Map View" and go to the Monk family
    3. I left-click on the "house"-icon for the Monk family
    changehousehold01.jpg?w=640

4. 3 options appear, "Visit the Monk household", "Visit the Monk household with..." and "nraas". I pick "nraas"
    changehousehold02.jpg?w=640

5. A new menu shows up with the option "Story progression", which I pick
    6. A pop up is displayed with the option "Make active (Dream Catcher)", which I pick
    changehousehold03.jpg?w=640

7. Now Nraas changes the active household so I am now controlling the Monk family
    8. I go to "Map View" again
    9. I go to household of the d'Angerville family and left click on it
    10. I pick "Nraas" from the 3 options
    11. I pick "Story Progression"
    12. In the menu I pick "Lot options"
    13. I now click on "Allow For Lot Progression" and click on the check-button at the bottom right. The menu should now display "Allow Lot For Progression False"
    changehousehold041.jpg?w=640

14. Still in "Lot Options", I select "Reset to default" on the menu, press the check-button and then select "Caste Manual" and then I should get the option "Active family Has" (observe that you do this step only if you have manually casted the "Active family" caste to start with, otherwise, disregard this step). Now the family should no longer have the "Active family" caste
    changehousehold05.jpg?w=640

15. I now click on "Caste manual", in the "Lot Options" menu, I pick my "RKC non active family" caste. Notice that all my RKC families have the regular "Non active household" caste under "disallowed"
    15. Now I am done with the d'Angerville family and I go back to the Monk household, still in "Map view". I go to the "Story Progression" menu and select "Lot Options"
    16. I select "Allow Lot For Progression" and after I click the check-button it should say "Allow Lot For Progression True"
    17. I select "Reset to default" on the menu, press the check-button and then select "Caste Manual" and then I should get the option "RKC Non-Active family Has". Press the check-button. Now the family should no longer have the "RKC Non-Active family" caste
    18. I now click on "Caste manual", in the "Lot Options" menu, I pick my "Active family" caste. Now the Monk household should have the active family caste
    19. I save to a new file (Save as...)
    20. I go the main menu
    21. I load the saved neighborhood (I do this because otherwise the aging does not trigger)
    22. Done!

I hope this helps clarify things :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    First of all: thank you! You did also a picture tutorial, you're so kind :O now I've understand better! It's a very tricky passage, how I wish there was an easier way :P
    Now I have to finish the furnishing of every house and then maybe I'll be able to start playing!
    I'm really glad to have someone to talk to about this stuff :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ah the pictures are a bit hard to see, I realize now, but I'm glad it was helpful. Yes, I agree, some things are a bit complicated when it comes to this challenge, but after a while it goes pretty quickly. I didn't realize it was so many steps until I explained them to you :)

I also love having people to talk about these things with :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    KimeleonKimeleon Posts: 124 Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm in love with your story! Very inspiring, I would love to start a similar legacy but feeling overwhelmed by the StoryProgression issues. Just need to read up on how this caste option works ...

Thanks for posting and sharing all your knowledge, I quite like the revised rules too! :-)
  • Options
    angl2005151angl2005151 Posts: 149 Member
    edited May 2014
    You have really inspired me to make my own challenge, I already made families and stuff, now making Castle Keep ready to start.
    I really like how you revised the rules and I'm planning to use them, as they fit very good with the story I want to tell :)

I did change something:
    The people of the church can have careers as writers (scholars) and dokters (healers). They are the only class that can have those jobs in my challege ;)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Nicole's Sims Story's
    www.nicolesimsstories.weebly.com

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Kimeleon,
    yes I understand how you feel, I must say that I had lots of different problems that I had to fix throughout the story, now that I have my game-play set it is much easier. I guess my advice is to do some play-testing for a few rounds with some random families just to get things settled.

angl2005151,
    that is great, I love the idea of my monks and nuns being scholars and healers, with the rules as they are today they can be self-employed writers at least. I will think about changing the rules.
    I guess for me the most important thing is that they don't become very rich, and live a humble life. Although the tax-system of the StoryProgression Money package can help out with that :)

Can't wait to hear what you do! :D
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    KimeleonKimeleon Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2014
    Okay, here's a question for you!

I've been playing a few rounds and finally my peasants have started having children. In the rules it states that "when a child is born and on every birthday up until and including when they become a child, roll a dice, if the number is 1 the child dies." Sadly, I rolled my first "1" when a baby girl was born. When is she supposed to die and how do you achieve this? I didn't think Sim children could actually die?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Ooh exciting :D that has not happened to me yet (since I introduced the rule a bit in in the game). What I as thinking is that you will have to kill the sim child before his/hers next birthday, I'm thinking that when it happens to me I'd like to spin it in to my story in a good way, but generally I'm thinking that I will do it right away. What are your thoughts?

Btw, the rules are there to make the game harder, but if you really don't want to follow a rule, I guess that is ok, it is supposed to be fun to play too :)
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited June 2014
    Tota wrote:
    Ooh exciting :D that has not happened to me yet (since I introduced the rule a bit in in the game). What I as thinking is that you will have to kill the sim child before his/hers next birthday, I'm thinking that when it happens to me I'd like to spin it in to my story in a good way, but generally I'm thinking that I will do it right away. What are your thoughts?

Btw, the rules are there to make the game harder, but if you really don't want to follow a rule, I guess that is ok, it is supposed to be fun to play too :)

It might come down to when you're able to kill the kid off in a way that won't jeopardize other kids in the house. You can't do traditional deaths with kids. They'll get taken by the social worker or aren't able to interact with the item.

You may have to amend the rules to say that if you do not wish to use mods, you must go into Edit Town and stick a random adult in with them to pull the kid out. This sticks them on the clipboard. Then you go back to the game without placing them. Kid and random Sim deleted.

It won't give the mourning moodlet or a grave, but it will at least have the intent of the rule remain intact. At least for those who wish to follow it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ok, I must say that I put that rule in from another RKC that someone had made, I guess I assumed they had play-tested the scenario so I did not do it myself.

I will test to kill a child sim with the Nraas mod that I use, and see how this works out.

I will have to play-test also without a mod. Sticking in a sim into a household gives the household new funds, which can't be done, this to keep the whole economic balance in the town. I see if I can think out a solution. The whole point of getting your children sick and dying is that it will be a disadvantage for the family, not the other way around.

Thanks for all the input Seera1024 and Kimeleon :)
    Of Kings and Castles

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top