Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Furniture unlock??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are all the locked items career rewards? Then it makes sense to keep the locked until a Sim earns them just like in the TS2, right?

Yes. I totally get why, from a game-play standpoint, they are locked.

Although it kinda sucks for builders. I think a cheat to unlock everything it the best happy medium there.
  • Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    Seamoan wrote: »
    I don't have the game - please bare with me - are you saying that you have to unlock whole furniture sets based on your job level? As in, couches and chairs and such?

Not exactly. I've never seen any couches or anything locked. It's all career-related rewards that simply improvements on existing items. For example, anyone can buy a regular easel. But only high-level painters can be the easel that gives better results.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm confused. Are all the locked items career rewards? Then it makes sense to keep the locked until a Sim earns them just like in the TS2, right?
    They're career rewards, but the only difference between them and ordinary furniture/appliances/electronics is that they have an emotional aura.

TS2 career rewards were unique and deserved to be locked. TS4 career rewards should not have been locked, only given free in careers (and noted as so).

If they had some special functionality, then yes they should be locked. However, there are deco objects that are locked and we can never use them unless it is in the home of a specific sim that unlocked them. That's a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2014
    I like that the furniture is locked to the household. If you could leave the feature there but add a cheat code that unlocks it, that would be ideal. ;) Simmers get the best of both worlds then!

The game is great, but you guys kind of stole that "Muahahahah I am your Sim Overlord, I am in CONTROL of your little Simdom!!!" feeling away from the player with the limited cheat resources. I like how the game is presented and operates, because my first play through of The Sims I like to do things "legit". However, it would be truly wonderful if you added cheats that give us that "I'm the Master of the Entire Universe Cosmos Everything!" feel back to the game. ;) Because doing it legit once, is enough for me. hahaha
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    They're career rewards, but the only difference between them and ordinary furniture/appliances/electronics is that they have an emotional aura.

TS2 career rewards were unique and deserved to be locked. TS4 career rewards should not have been locked, only given free in careers (and noted as so).

Thanks, yes, TS2 career rewards were mini marvels. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    I played Sims 2 probably the least of the 4 games so I'm not familiar with the career rewards there - what exactly made them awesome?
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I would rather that we have the furniture for purchase but unlock the aura for achievement of goals. It's really annoying to not to have access to some nice looking furniture just because it has an aura.
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    I really like the idea of unlockable content.
    Also most of the time the furniture you can unlock isn't the best item in that category and there are always alternatives.

I don't mind that unlocked items are only per household. If you really REALLY want the unlocked items you could merge new sims into the old houshold and then move the original sims out.
    I don't know if it does work like that but it saunds kinda plausible...

Or does the unlock become locked again when the sim who has unlocked it leaves the family or dies?
    If so, then that would be bad :/
    ... jinkies oO
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    This is a new one for me, I hadn't heard of this "feature" yet.
    Okay, so how many items are we talking about?
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member

I noticed about 3-4 for Entertainers I think. A rock guitar, stereo and a couple other electronics I believe.

It doesn't seem to be a HUGE amount.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Flower24Flower24 Posts: 20 New Member
    You can't cheat through careers. I really like a LOT of the Tech Guru furniture, but I would never make a Tech Guru sim, so I will never get it. I wouldn't mind if you could cheat to unlock, or cheat way up to level 10 Tech Guru. But getting up career is very hard (playing 3 days and still lvl 7 entertainer...) XD
  • Options
    Adelia76Adelia76 Posts: 4 New Member
    I don't like the locked items at all. The items should be available to all sims as long as they have enough money to buy. With the color wheel missing, the game is already too limited and now we have locked items. Geesh!
  • Options
    LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    Hi Jenny - no worries, you aren't doing anything wrong. It's intentional that the furniture unlocks are tied to the household that unlocked them. I'd welcome feedback from others on this to see how people feel about it.

At this time there isn't a cheat to unlock furniture, but it's a great idea for us to keep in mind for the future. Thank you!
    I like the feature because I feel it kinda gives more to work for in the game. However I really would like the option of a cheat for those households that I do want to start out at a more advanced state. Thanks for commenting on this topic!
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
  • Options
    CrowRidgeStudioCrowRidgeStudio Posts: 233 Member
    There's a ton of locked artist/ art deco items...and some are only available to Patron of the Arts, where some are only available to Master of The Real, (both of which are in the arts branch) So even if I have a level 10 artist, they're going to only be in one branch and will only get half the art items, so they won't have the stacked canvases, say, along with the easel...I would really like an unlock cheat.
  • Options
    stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    I don't have a problem with unlocking things through gameplay, but I want all of the things unlocked to be available to everyone in a saved game, not just the household that unlocked it.
  • Options
    There's a ton of locked artist/ art deco items...and some are only available to Patron of the Arts, where some are only available to Master of The Real, (both of which are in the arts branch) So even if I have a level 10 artist, they're going to only be in one branch and will only get half the art items, so they won't have the stacked canvases, say, along with the easel...I would really like an unlock cheat.

This sounds awful. I would hate it. I really hope there is a cheat soon.

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    I dislike the locked items. Unlocking career-specific performance perks would've been a better choice, imo.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I Like how the unlocks are Per household. I always play households for 10+ generations in the Sims games, so it's a nice little perk where sticking with the legacy gives bonuses.

But I also agree with others who say it shouldn't be set up like this. Because it is not good for other play styles.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Enough that there is a whole deco section when you scroll down that I can't use to decorate the house. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just a few things, but there are locked objects in nearly every category. The deco especially kills me.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Enough that there is a whole deco section when you scroll down that I can't use to decorate the house. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just a few things, but there are locked objects in nearly every category. The deco especially kills me.

I just don't understand the logic behind locking up furniture or deco. Even if it's super deco that gives off emotional auras or whatever. 🐸🐸🐸🐸. My blood pressure would skyrocket every time I tried to decorate a house.

• Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    It's intentional that the furniture unlocks are tied to the household that unlocked them.

Can we split that "tie" or merge two of them?
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    I hate the locked content too
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • Options
    ComputosaurusComputosaurus Posts: 113 New Member
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the unlocked furniture locks back up if you change careers. I was going to make an ultimate sim and unlock everything. She's on her 4th level 10 career and I noticed that the unlocked items from her previous careers have gone back to locked. I was stupid and sold the items for cash. I should have stockpiled in her family inventory.
  • Options
    EphemeralIdentityEphemeralIdentity Posts: 10 New Member
    No no no! Locks bad! Sand good! :p

I think the locked content and "Friend requirements" for careers are remnants of the original online multiplayer design for the game. The features would support a cash shop and encourage (force) social media interaction. I expect them to be modded out within a week.