Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @Evalen, unfortunately you can't eat any of the harvested stuff like you could in TS3. You can put it in the fridge and cook with it, but you can't have your Sim just take a bite out of that juicy apple. I tried to figure out if there was a way too.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    GabbryroseGabbryrose Posts: 839 Member
    > @jobug1015 said:
    > I think you just sell from inventory, correct me though if that's wrong. I have a question, I've just started gardening, does the quality improve like in TS3? So far all I've gotten are normal plants.

You have to Evolve the plants to improve the quality. You get the Evolve interaction around level 5 gardening skill I think, and your plants have to be well taken care of. You will see that one day they have sparkles around them, which means they are ready to evolve. Each time you evolve them they move up to the next quality level. (Once you get the option to fertilize plants you can get a bigger quality boost when evolving fertilized plants.)
  • Options
    DarwinsProgenyDarwinsProgeny Posts: 7 New Member
    The good news is once you get your cooking skill up to like 6 or 7 it branches into a new skill set called gourmet cooking. That one needs the fruits and veggies you grow and the fish you catch.
  • Options
    lynnylynny Posts: 1,141 Member
    Maclimes wrote: »
    lynny wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed I don't like about gardening is there is no way to plant several things at once, like in Sims 3. You have to put the seed on the ground, then individually plant each thing. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea.

That's not actually true. Place all the seeds down first, and then click on one of them and click "Plant". The Sim will proceed to auto-plant all the others (just like water and weed).

Oh nice! I'll try that today.
  • Options
    IxathIxath Posts: 94 Member
    Have people tried planting in various emotional states (inspired mainly, but the others too) ..does it offer any benefit?

Planters, if you can grow stuff indoors or use them indoors, would be able to be thrown in a room with some emotional paintings.

I'm at work and can't try any of this so I'm typing it out in case anyone wants to give it a shot.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    Having found Sylvan Glade I don't see any sign of dragon fruit, but I guess it may need time to grow so I think ill send my sim there to study her skill books
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ixath wrote: »
    Have people tried planting in various emotional states (inspired mainly, but the others too) ..does it offer any benefit?

Planters, if you can grow stuff indoors or use them indoors, would be able to be thrown in a room with some emotional paintings.

I'm at work and can't try any of this so I'm typing it out in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

I just moved my planter inside and set up another one beside it. No issues planting inside! That'll be handy for when they add seasons.

ETA: I just went back into my game and the only issue I see so far with planters inside is water gets on the floor, so you'll have to mop up puddles. Kind of a drag, but still nice that you can plant inside :)
  • Options
    jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    Sooo, really.. We can't eat the fruit out of the inventory? :(
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Options
    @jobug1015 no, you can cook with it though. Kind of sucks, it was always handy to have some fruit to eat in your inventory when Sims got hungry away from home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I just worked out that when you get green sparkles on a plant its ready to evolve, before that I was clicking on each one in turn to work when it could be done
  • Options
    What plants have people found yet? Im still searching for the elusive dragon fruit but ive seen cherrie tree, pear tree, wild lillies at Sylvan Glade. The pink mushrooms turn white again when you get them home
  • Options
    The good news is once you get your cooking skill up to like 6 or 7 it branches into a new skill set called gourmet cooking. That one needs the fruits and veggies you grow and the fish you catch.
    Needs? I don't want to have to be a farmer and fisherman to become a great cook.

They aren't a requirement, but they do improve the meal quality and reduce the cost of the meal to make it. You can certainly become a great cook and never garden or fish. In fact, if you have no desire to mess with fresh imgredients, there is a box you can uncheck on the recipe list that won't show the ingredients needed for each recipe.
  • Options
    athyrmoseathyrmose Posts: 223 Member
    Anyone have any tips for finding tomatoes and onions?
  • Options
    berng00berng00 Posts: 122 Member
    My chef wanted to grow his own produce and herbs. I over did it. Lots of work! I also had flower pots which I had his roommate (the comedian) tend. Both of them were stressed out.

Note: Don't over do planting! And if possible hurry and get grafting.
  • Options
    what level do oyu have to be to graft? I havnt even seen an option for it. My sim keeps getting a need to fertilise a plant but imnot getting that option yet either
  • Options
    FalseZenFalseZen Posts: 87 Member
    I love that the plants 'Evolve' instead of dying now!
  • Options
    IxathIxath Posts: 94 Member
    what level do oyu have to be to graft? I havnt even seen an option for it. My sim keeps getting a need to fertilise a plant but imnot getting that option yet either

7 i think?
  • Options
    athyrmose wrote: »

are tomatoes and onions a definite?

• Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Gabbryrose wrote: »
    > @jobug1015 said:<br />
    > I think you just sell from inventory, correct me though if that's wrong. I have a question, I've just started gardening, does the quality improve like in TS3? So far all I've gotten are normal plants.<br />
    <br />
    You have to Evolve the plants to improve the quality. You get the Evolve interaction around level 5 gardening skill I think, and your plants have to be well taken care of. You will see that one day they have sparkles around them, which means they are ready to evolve. Each time you evolve them they move up to the next quality level. (Once you get the option to fertilize plants you can get a bigger quality boost when evolving fertilized plants.)

I know you can get the evolve option earlier because my gardening skill was only level three when I found it. I just think the plants have to be well cared for.

I'm actually trying to get plants to die right now. It's been three days and they aren't dead yet, but they look really bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    My Sim is only at level three in gardening skill. I keep sending her to the park to harvest a pear tree, but thus far, none of them are ready to harvest. And it's been several Sim days since I started playing. Any suggestions?
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    athyrmoseathyrmose Posts: 223 Member

I think so. They're listed as recipe ingredients.

Carl has a location listed for onions, but I can't ferret out where it is on my map.
  • Options

Yes, they are both in the game. Onions are all over the place in Oasis Springs, they grow wild in the open areas behind the houses where the fish ponds are. The tomatoes are the same way in Willow Creek.

I think a lot of people haven't realized that there is lots to do in the areas of the world where the houses are. All the good collectable stuff is there, but I think that it gets neglected because those areas aren't marked as "venues" they are just part of the neighborhood.
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Gabbryrose wrote: »
    Needs? I don't want to have to be a farmer and fisherman to become a great cook.

They aren't a requirement, but they do improve the meal quality and reduce the cost of the meal to make it. You can certainly become a great cook and never garden or fish. In fact, if you have no desire to mess with fresh imgredients, there is a box you can uncheck on the recipe list that won't show the ingredients needed for each recipe.
    Ideally we'd have a store to buy higher-quality ingredients from. Nope, DIY or settle for less.

That is kinda like real life. Depending on where you get your groceries, you either DIY for better quality or just settle for what you can get.