Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind no open world in sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    max9119123max9119123 Posts: 307 Member
    It's a love/hate relationship from me. I loved the fact that it made cars/transportation worth investing in and how you could go around and find collectibles easier. Although, the new system I hope will save me from having to use resetSim every once and a while due to performance issues and I'd rather have more detailed, fully rendered lots straight up rather than have bad pop in and wait for it render. Also hoping that the new system will populate the lots more, I mean, midday on a Sunday, go to park, oh look, only one sim! I'm sure you understand what I mean.<br />
    <br />
    tl;dr = Gameplay = Minor suffer, performance = sounds like a boost to me.

Yeah there will be certain things I will miss from sims 3. Especially world adventures I thought it was a great expansion and I hope they do another but this time have more places to go.
  • Options
    KesorevanKesorevan Posts: 12 New Member
    I'm happy with no open world if it means no more empty lots.
  • Options
    GoodFairyGoodFairy Posts: 205 Member
    Seeing those beautiful public spaces in Sims 4 and the filled public lots I am really looking forward for the "semi" open world with loading screens. If they are short (less then 1min) I don't mind them. The cool thing is everything will already be loaded when I enter the lot and wont start loading from white meshes. And also there will be a lot more sims to watch and interact with aaand finally our sims wont "waste" their lifetime travelling from one end of the map to the other! I'm so looking forward to play The Sims 4!
    (*) My Origin-ID GoodFairy684 (*)
    You find my sims in the gallery tagged with #SimsFairy.
  • Options
    corithnaspalcorithnaspal Posts: 5 New Member
    Ideally the concept of an open world appealed to me when I first saw what they had planned for the sims 3. The rabbit holes were a big let down in my opinion, but given everything else that was happening I understood why it was done that way. Admittedly there was some fun game play as I searched the world and found all the little Easter eggs hidden around the world.

However I honestly thing Maxis made a big mistake when they took the sims franchise and made it into an open town(a la sims 3). The game has always focused on two primary areas, architecture and simulated people to occupy and interact with what we build. So in the sims 3 what we got was a game where Maxis said, hey look at what we built! Go out and explore it! Instead of hey look at these great tools we built for you to make awesome things so that you can share what you've built with others so they can explore what you built and you can explore what they built.

So what's wrong with Maxis generating worlds for us to explore? Well to start off with world exploration games are built much differently. Look at pretty much any RPG and compare that to what we got in the sims 3. What you see in other game are humongous worlds that are rich and full of life. And sure they put out small towns they called worlds from time to time but really by comparison they comprised maybe half of a single zone that you might get in any other game that featured world exploration. And the reason that had to be true was because when you also include all the building tools, the wide array of textures and models that can be included on each and every lot, not to mention characters who each are likely to feature completely unique looks and components combined with a list of interactions and animations that would be any other world exploration game to shame. You start to see where the problems started to pile up.

In any simulation that features a rich and engaging environment, many different tricks are employed in subtle ways to make that happen. For instance the same texture tends to be used as often as possible in order to limit the total number that need to be saved in memory. The same goes for character models, animations, static items, intractable items, buildings, etc. Customer PC's only have a finite amount of system resources for the game engine to work with. Now I know, I know there will be all kinds of you out there screaming that such things don't apply to you personally since you spent X number of pay checks to keep your personal system a veritable hot rod of computing power. But try to also understand that game manufacturers have to consider that their games have to run and run well on systems that only just barely meet the minimum system requirements. They have to do this because if they don't. then what happens is they loose those customers and potentially never get them back.

So what's happened, or has seemed to happen from what I've seen and read is, that they have refocused on a realistic play space that can be molded and shaped into this really fantastic microcosm of interaction. They've made the character simulations vibrant and surprising. As opposed to just repeating the same 8 queued up commands that you already know will result in the expected outcome. This new title promises to give us some fresh options to play around with, and sims who genuinely surprise us with how to choose to go about their day. And to me, coupled with the incredible new functionality in our built tools, that's something to really worthwhile.
  • Options
    GoodFairyGoodFairy Posts: 205 Member
    @corithnaspal I couldn't agree more! That was enlighting! Thanks :)
    (*) My Origin-ID GoodFairy684 (*)
    You find my sims in the gallery tagged with #SimsFairy.
  • Options
    ExpandSims2ExpandSims2 Posts: 373 Member
    I absolutely love the open world. It was the main thing about Sims 3 that I liked. But if Sims 4 loading screens and other changes will make for a smoother animation and less pc demands, then it's a trade off I will make gladly. After all I never minded the loading screens in Sims 2.
  • Options
    LoralahlaLoralahla Posts: 214 Member
    I'm fine with no open world, honestly. Especially if the game runs smoothly. As long as the load screens don't last a long time (which they don't seem to), I really don't care.
    Origin ID: Loralahla
    My Simblr: loralahla-sims << updated :)
    2nar0uv.png
  • Options
    Ideally the concept of an open world appealed to me when I first saw what they had planned for the sims 3. The rabbit holes were a big let down in my opinion, but given everything else that was happening I understood why it was done that way. Admittedly there was some fun game play as I searched the world and found all the little Easter eggs hidden around the world. <br />
    <br />
    However I honestly thing Maxis made a big mistake when they took the sims franchise and made it into an open town(a la sims 3). The game has always focused on two primary areas, architecture and simulated people to occupy and interact with what we build. So in the sims 3 what we got was a game where Maxis said, hey look at what we built! Go out and explore it! Instead of hey look at these great tools we built for you to make awesome things so that you can share what you've built with others so they can explore what you built and you can explore what they built.<br />
    <br />
    So what's wrong with Maxis generating worlds for us to explore? Well to start off with world exploration games are built much differently. Look at pretty much any RPG and compare that to what we got in the sims 3. What you see in other game are humongous worlds that are rich and full of life. And sure they put out small towns they called worlds from time to time but really by comparison they comprised maybe half of a single zone that you might get in any other game that featured world exploration. And the reason that had to be true was because when you also include all the building tools, the wide array of textures and models that can be included on each and every lot, not to mention characters who each are likely to feature completely unique looks and components combined with a list of interactions and animations that would be any other world exploration game to shame. You start to see where the problems started to pile up. <br />
    <br />
    In any simulation that features a rich and engaging environment, many different tricks are employed in subtle ways to make that happen. For instance the same texture tends to be used as often as possible in order to limit the total number that need to be saved in memory. The same goes for character models, animations, static items, intractable items, buildings, etc. Customer PC's only have a finite amount of system resources for the game engine to work with. Now I know, I know there will be all kinds of you out there screaming that such things don't apply to you personally since you spent X number of pay checks to keep your personal system a veritable hot rod of computing power. But try to also understand that game manufacturers have to consider that their games have to run and run well on systems that only just barely meet the minimum system requirements. They have to do this because if they don't. then what happens is they loose those customers and potentially never get them back.<br />
    <br />
    So what's happened, or has seemed to happen from what I've seen and read is, that they have refocused on a realistic play space that can be molded and shaped into this really fantastic microcosm of interaction. They've made the character simulations vibrant and surprising. As opposed to just repeating the same 8 queued up commands that you already know will result in the expected outcome. This new title promises to give us some fresh options to play around with, and sims who genuinely surprise us with how to choose to go about their day. And to me, coupled with the incredible new functionality in our built tools, that's something to really worthwhile.

That was beautiful written and so true. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. Wish more people saw it that way.
  • Options
    AlanKenzoAlanKenzo Posts: 16 Member
    Personally, being a fan since TS1, I really don't mind that they've went back. While the open world concept was fun to mess around with I never used it as much since most of my game play was always on one single lot for hours. I did like that you could buy out stores to make cash but it was always tedious to leave the lot and visit each establishment to pick up the cash, not to mention that TS3 would ALWAYS chugged for me after the first couple of hours and my rig is a beefy one able to play Witcher 2 at near ultra keeping a 30 FPS or high at 45-60.

I welcome this new focus and the fact they are aiming for the interpersonal relations over the world exploration. Not that I didn't like it but for me since TS1 it was always about what you could do with the relationships over the expansiveness of the world.
  • Options
    Happyhopeful2003Happyhopeful2003 Posts: 10 New Member
    I've always hated the loading screens between travel because they would either take forever or would crash my computer. I hate travelling because I never know if my games just going to stop working. So when I heard TS4 was going to not be an open world, I literally groaned out loud. After watching some of the game play though, I can see that the load screens probably won't cause the issues I've had before. I really hope it won't cause those issues.

Now while I enjoyed an open world, it will be nice to go to a lot and actually have sims there to interact with. :)
  • Options
    altheaquinaltheaquin Posts: 5,013 Member
    A little snippit from my preview event article

"The next biggest thing for me, and many simmers, is those load screens and the lack of the open world. It will take some getting used to again but the difference between the closed world of The Sims 4 and the closed world of The Sims 2 is that it no longer feels ‘closed’.

5e2805_2a569ddaf0174d3eaf851e7b42f9736e.png_srz_p_630_355_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

While you can’t just pop over to another lot quite the same way you could in Sims 3, at least it doesn’t feel like you are confined to your sim’s house. And actually I was pleased to see the houses are in little ‘neighbourhoods’ of a couple houses each that you can wander between without the loading screen."

I wasn't sure about the closed world but was happy about the idea of not having long load times but getting a little preview game play has convinced me!
    nnsig1_zps7a3fd5f0.pngs4gsig_zpseed8c92c.png
  • Options
    VonSimsVonSims Posts: 186 Member
    I think those who complain the most about open world are the ones who probably enjoyed exploring the world. I personally don't mind it either way. Can't wait to play TS4!!! I'm seriously going to be watching "Let's Play" videos on my phone and playing the game at the same time. LOL
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    My first impression with losing open world was that I would be required to go back to individual lot play. That I would feel I was stuck to my home lot as in TS2. I was not thrilled about that idea.

After watching game-play video's and being able to see that I can still jog around a block, visit a few neighbors, I feel as I am not so restricted and that really raised my spirits about The Sims 4 new style of play.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    I am very much happier than i was before when hearing of the no open world as the sims 4 closed world doesn't seem quite as closed as sims 2, so i am very pleased about that.
  • Options
    ButtonButton Posts: 3 New Member
    If I miss anything it would be open restaurants like the Sims 2... I love the idea of "getting out" of the house once in a while and going to a restaurant... meeting vampires.. hehe
  • Options
    Br0adwayyEmBr0adwayyEm Posts: 158 Member
    I have the Sims 3 Pets for the Xbox 360. I have a feeling it will be very similar to that where you could go to a section of the world and there would be 4 or 5 houses or venues there. And there were around 7ish sections. There were also loading screens for every time you'd move to a different section. At first I was annoyed with it but after a while I got use to it and it wasn't that bad. In some ways it was better because there were always Townies around. So yeah I don't have a problem with it.
    tumblr_o31yd51qpy1uht19xo1_1280.png
    Check our my blog emsimszy.tumblr.com
  • Options
    angiejr1979angiejr1979 Posts: 14 New Member
    It actually doesn't bother me at all that there is no open world. Even with a very high end rig, TS3 felt like a behemoth at times, especially with all the store content and CC. Really looking forward to something that is a bit less taxing, especially since my CPU shouldn't have any problems with quick load screen times (knock on wood).
  • Options
    RyckRyck Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2014
    I would have liked the open world if it actually was really populated on each community lot, but I would rather have a load screen to get more lively lots. In the Sims 3 I always zoomed up to the map while they drove to a lot and then zoomed back in when they got there. I'd actually rather go to a loading screen and get their even quicker possibly than go tot he destination and just wait for the sims to arrive. I think the new way has more advantages. Plus you lost a lot of time driving their. I could lose up to 2 hour driving to some lots and the bar would be about to close when I got there. Especially in larger worlds.
    Post edited by Ryck on
  • Options
    sims2aholic63sims2aholic63 Posts: 111 Member
    Honestly, I used testingcheatsenabled and transported everywhere. That's not a whole lot different then having a loading screen, especially an extremely short one. In other words, no, I won't miss the open world. Though, keep in mind, it's not completely closed either. It's kind of a cross between Sims 2 and Sims 3. It's more open then Sims 2, but less open then Sims 3.
  • Options
    Honestly, I used testingcheatsenabled and transported everywhere. That's not a whole lot different then having a loading screen, especially an extremely short one. In other words, no, I won't miss the open world. Though, keep in mind, it's not completely closed either. It's kind of a cross between Sims 2 and Sims 3. It's more open then Sims 2, but less open then Sims 3.

Watching videos etc. I can see that all expansion worlds will be easy to visit.
  • Options
    CranberryAppleCranberryApple Posts: 186 New Member
    I used the teleport cheat quite a bit myself. I did like the open world because it was something new and I thought going around was neat. I enjoyed collecting. I would say that it was a bit buggy though (the cars driving through each other, etc), haha! I do cherish many aspects of The Sims 3, but I am open to changes whenever a new generation of The Sims comes out since I have been playing for years. It does take getting used to. I remember when I didn't think I'd like The Sims 3 since I was hooked on The Sims 2. Silly me!

If the loading screens makes it more lively than bring it on, please! I do not want another dead clubs like I had during my "late night" expansion pack experience. ;)
  • Options
    TempurranceTempurrance Posts: 44 Member
    I really like how it's kind of a mix between Sims 2 and Sims 3. I liked the closed world and rotating households as I wished in Sims 2 but in Sims 3 it was also fun to have something different. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds this way.
    Still can't find Waldo...
  • Options
    ErisineErisine Posts: 156 Member
    I really like how it's kind of a mix between Sims 2 and Sims 3. I liked the closed world and rotating households as I wished in Sims 2 but in Sims 3 it was also fun to have something different. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds this way.

Glad you feel that way.

The rest of us don't even get the choice. At least you could turn the features we wanted off to do rotational play.

• Options
    BrynnaTHBrynnaTH Posts: 22 New Member
    I didn't even KNOW they were removing open world until just now, I'm so happy! I might actually pay the 60 dollars for the game if it means i won't be paying for rabbit holes and half hour loading screens every time i wanna play!
  • Options
    llamanoodles13llamanoodles13 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm honestly pretty happy about not having a completely open world. For one thing, it'll reduce lagginess, which is always good. For another, we'll actually be able to see our sims eat at restaurants instead of staring at the building forever and just getting a popup that says a waiter spilled food on you! We'll actually be able to see the food being spilled! :p
    tumblr_meq67gpfRh1rnf5opo1_500_zpse3ad0707.gif