Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Tutorial for Using GIMP with the Color Magic tool (link!)

PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
I just uploaded a tutorial on how to make custom textures for Sims 4 clothes using GIMP and the Color Magic tool. It's been uploaded onto the Sims 4 Stuff n Things web site. The only thing the tutorial doesn't cover is how to create custom swatches, because that feature is still being perfected for Color Magic.

Anyway, I wanted to give back to the modding community who made my Sims 2 and 3 games so much better with all their custom creations.

Links:
http://forums.sims4.the-prof.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14
or
http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=tutorial-using-gimp-with-color-magic-to-make-custom-textured-sims-4-clothing
Post edited by Penelope on

Comments

• Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Very nice job, and beautiful examples!
  • Options
    MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this will be helpful. :)
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
  • Options
    RawwrOutLoudRawwrOutLoud Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing, your tutorial is great penelope. ^-^ will be fun to try an make some of my own cc
    Origin ID - LoomieSkies
    Simblr - loomieskies.tumblr.com
  • Options
    LionLion Posts: 42 Member
    Nice ;). I also have a tutorial on my website: eder.se/vera
  • Options
    Lion wrote: »
    Nice ;). I also have a tutorial on my website: eder.se/vera
    Nice job! You might want to change the link to the DDS plugin that's on your tutorial, though. Your link only takes you to the 32-bit version of the plugin. For 64-bit computers, you need the 64-bit version of the plugin, which is here: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list.

• Options
    LionLion Posts: 42 Member
    Ohh thank you @penelope
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    thanku, I use GIMP alot, so thanks for the tutorial :smiley:
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    Great job on the tutorial! It is very helpful.
  • Options
    dltn43dltn43 Posts: 80 Member
    > @Penelope said:
    > I just uploaded a tutorial on how to make custom textures for Sims 4 clothes using GIMP and the Color Magic tool. It's been uploaded onto the Sims 4 Stuff n Things web site. The only thing the tutorial doesn't cover is how to create custom swatches, because that feature is still being perfected for Color Magic.
    >
    > Anyway, I wanted to give back to the modding community who made my Sims 2 and 3 games so much better with all their custom creations.
    >
    > Link:
    > http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=tutorial-using-gimp-with-color-magic-to-make-custom-textured-sims-4-clothing

Thank you for the tutorial @Penelope! :)
    [img][/img]8bh13c873lt4tk24g.jpg
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Thanks, and I might try it out to create some for Sims myself.
  • Options
    FendiYukiFendiYuki Posts: 9 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Hi Guys,

I received the following at S4PE preview panel :

Error reading resource 0x3453CF95-0x00000000-0x89C4BE4B96806522
    Front-end Distribution: Unknown
    Library Distribution: Unknown

Source: s4pi.WrapperDealer
    Assembly: s4pi.WrapperDealer, Version=1408.22.1802.23466, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    Could not find a resource handler
    ----
    Stack trace:
    at s4pi.WrapperDealer.WrapperDealer.WrapperForType(String type, Int32 APIversion, Stream s)
    at S4PIDemoFE.MainForm.browserWidget1_SelectedResourceChanged(Object sender, ResourceChangedEventArgs e)
    ----

May i know where did i do wrong?

Love
    Yuki

Edit: I found out what's the problem. i was extracting using WinRar and its not working. i use 7zip as suggested and it works!
    Post edited by FendiYuki on
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Ok , I admit I am download illiterate. Where do I put the 4 downloads?
  • Options
    ferret9005 wrote: »
    Ok , I admit I am download illiterate. Where do I put the 4 downloads?
    S4PE and Color Magic are simply downloaded to your desktop. Create an empty folder on your desktop for each of them (right-click on your desktop and then click on New/Folder), and then unzip them each in their own folders. Then from there, search the folders until you see "s4pe.exe" or "ColorMagic.exe" and click on those to start the programs.

• Options
    Thank you, I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I will need to ask another question. Once I open Color Magic, I am instructed to put in select package. I've tried copy & paste typing ect. and it will not let me enter the file required. Where do I find this particular file?
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    this is awesome @Penelope big thanks! cant wait to try this out and do you think similar steps will be used for objects?
  • Options
    hypemerchanthypemerchant Posts: 132 Member
    Unfortunately I will need to ask another question. Once I open Color Magic, I am instructed to put in select package. I've tried copy & paste typing ect. and it will not let me enter the file required. Where do I find this particular file?

You can find CASDemoFullBuild.package in C:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Data\Client
    Simsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hmm I have an Orgin folder but no Orgin Games. Instead it is under Program files(86x)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Demo\Data\Client
  • Options
    MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    Hmm I have an Orgin folder but no Orgin Games.

Do you have the Create a Sim Demo? Because this is normally installed in the 'Origin Games' sub-folder. If it's installed somewhere else you may have to search your PC for it.

• Options
    yes I have the demo. do I need to uninstall and reinstall?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If the CAS Demo works then there is no need to re-install. It is possible to change where your origin games are installed to (including the CAS Demo) I would just search your computer for the file CASDemoFullBuild.package.

Open up File Explorer and there should be a search box in the top right in most versions of Windows. Type or paste the name into that box press enter and it should do it's thing and tell you where you have installed the CAS Demo.
  • Options
    thank you so much for your help. I got it to wok so far. I'm sure there will be more questions. Thank you again.
  • Options
    MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    Thank you! I just had a friend ask me if there was a tutorial like this around somewhere. :D I'm gonna link them up.
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
  • Options
    I printed out the tut and followed the directions on the first 2 pages,( didn't get far ). once I click finish Color magic closes.I open S4PE and everything is blank. no codes. the file I created has been put in Program files (86x) Electronic Arts\the sims4 create a demo\data\client. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    Generally you want to save the files ColourMagic creates to \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Mods otherwise they won't be loaded by the demo.

To get anything to show in s4pe you have to load the file you just created in the program by going to the File menu and picking 'Open...' from the menu and then finding the package you just created.

This should all be covered in this tutorial:

https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/simple-retexturing-for-the-sims-4/