Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I thought calling a male a "bro" was an insult?

Comments

• Options
    AnneMarit2AnneMarit2 Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2014
    rebekah512 wrote:

Some Americans are-but that is changing. Changing faster than I ever thought it could. I look forward to the day marriage is just marriage, no matter who you love.

I thank the "kids" for that. :) Younger Americans quite rightly can't figure out what the fuss is about for the most part.

Yeah, here we have had gay marriage for years now. Our society still is pretty solid, and no Armageddon has been happening. But ours and yours societies are quite different. We mostly see your through your films, and you mostly don't see us at all ;-) Except in the Sims-forums of course :-)

EDIT: But good for you that things are changing fast :-D
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    rebekah512 wrote:

Some Americans are-but that is changing. Changing faster than I ever thought it could. I look forward to the day marriage is just marriage, no matter who you love.

I thank the "kids" for that. :) Younger Americans quite rightly can't figure out what the fuss is about for the most part.

Yeah, here we have had gay marriage for years now. Our society still is pretty solid, and no Armageddon has been happening. But ours and yours societies are quite different. We mostly see your through your films, and you mostly don't see us at all ;-) Except in the Sims-forums of course :-)

EDIT: But good for you that things are changing fast :-D

It's true, we have to look a little harder for cultural influences outside the US, but some of us find that enriching too. :)
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've heard of people being offended by being called bro on the basis that they feel they aren't close to the speaker and don't want to be. Like:
    "Hey, bro, we're cool, right?"
    "Don't call me bro, I don't even know you, creep"

Other than that, I've never heard of "bro" having a negative connotation. May I ask where you're from that you hear it that way?

I once watched a Bridezillas episode where the girl said her wedding had a "broho" theme. But I think EA would be more likely to go with Bro-ette or something.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    I'll take my gay friends over anyone acting like a Sim "bro" any day; my gay friends don't act like immature idiots ;-) (Well, maybe one does, but that's because he's rather young, not because he's gay).

Well, idiots comes in all shapes :-) Some might even call me an idiot. But seldom to my face. I am glad.

• Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited July 2014
    In my experiences, bro means "Brother" or a good friend that is like a brother. Hang out, watch sports, play games, best friends for men.

A bro female would be a girl that loves to watch sports and generally 'hang with the bros' which is fine! I know I prefer being called a bro than being called a sista when I'm hanging with my male friends.

It's just a fun term for a video game. =)
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cowplanted wrote:
    In my area and most of my friends' areas, "bro" is used alongside "dude" and "man" and "girl" as affectionate, silly, gender-neutral terms of endearment. I use all those words among my group of friends all the time. Apparently in some places it has negative connotations and people seem to associate it with misogyny, which personally I find absolutely ludicrous. I have no idea how such a light-hearted word picked up such a negative meaning in some places.

I think the allegations of misogyny has to do with behaviors, not with the term itself. For instance, a news story in the last few months where a guy sent an email to his fraternity brothers about the best way to get, erm ... woo-hooed? ... at a party, and the general disrespect for women that the email showed. The Sim bros didn't exhibit negative behavior toward female Sims in the demo, of course, but I can see where it could call to mind behaviors associated with groups of men who have the "bros before hos" attitude.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Alisox wrote:
    I've heard of people being offended by being called bro on the basis that they feel they aren't close to the speaker and don't want to be. Like:
    "Hey, bro, we're cool, right?"
    "Don't call me bro, I don't even know you, creep"

Other than that, I've never heard of "bro" having a negative connotation. May I ask where you're from that you hear it that way?

I once watched a Bridezillas episode where the girl said her wedding had a "broho" theme. But I think EA would be more likely to go with Bro-ette or something.

I live in the Southern U.S. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    MissTexasBMissTexasB Posts: 372 Member
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    Maybe it's the PG-version of gay? If that is so, that would just make my day!

(Yeah, I know it isn't, but this gives the whole Gameplay-video a new dimension)

EDIT: "Hip bump" ha ha

I don't think they believe they need a "PG version of gay".
  • Options
    CowplantedCowplanted Posts: 78
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Cowplanted wrote:
    In my area and most of my friends' areas, "bro" is used alongside "dude" and "man" and "girl" as affectionate, silly, gender-neutral terms of endearment. I use all those words among my group of friends all the time. Apparently in some places it has negative connotations and people seem to associate it with misogyny, which personally I find absolutely ludicrous. I have no idea how such a light-hearted word picked up such a negative meaning in some places.

I think the allegations of misogyny has to do with behaviors, not with the term itself. For instance, a news story in the last few months where a guy sent an email to his fraternity brothers about the best way to get, erm ... woo-hooed? ... at a party, and the general disrespect for women that the email showed. The Sim bros didn't exhibit negative behavior toward female Sims in the demo, of course, but I can see where it could call to mind behaviors associated with groups of men who have the "bros before hos" attitude.

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense! Some people can be incredibly disrespectful towards women, and seeing as that word can be associated with a group of people who are often disrespectful I can understand the word taking on a negative meaning in some places. Thanks for explaining.
  • Options
    TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't where your from, but where I'm from "Bro" is sort for brother, as a real friendly relationship between two males, or a brother-brother relationship...

:?
  • Options
    TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't where your from, but where I'm from "Bro" is sort for brother, as a real friendly relationship between two males, or a brother-brother relationship...

:?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

Yes! This is exactly how I preceive this word. And that's how my joke came about as well. That it seems OK to be disrespectful to women, but portraying gays as normal humans is "not OK", or PG as was my "word".
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    Bro is a term of endearment. Dudebrofriends <3

My Sim will probably be a Bro. :mrgreen:
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited July 2014
    I live in Southern California and "bro" is most often used to describe a close male friend. Most guys I know act like bros and it gets really obnoxious sometimes. Some (not all) have that disrespect for women, so yeah, I can see where misogyny is added on top.

I don't think the devs meant it that way, more as a way to draw more male customers.

Personally I associate "bro" most with guys I can't stand to be around. Some might feel the same way.
  • Options
    crayzeehappeecrayzeehappee Posts: 676 Member
    edited July 2014
    You can make a female sim a bro too. :!:
    Origin Username: crayzeehappee
    funny-game-glitch-sims-baby-leave.jpg
  • Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Lol this thread will soon turn into a debate about sexism and misogyny. Just watch :lol:

You were right! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Zerbu wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:
    Lol this thread will soon turn into a debate about sexism and misogyny. Just watch :lol:

You were right! :thumbup:

I don't see any debating. Just discussion.
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Cowplanted wrote:

This is why I have a problem with it being in the game. You can't completely disassociate it from real-life connotations. TS2 had a great social group system, including jocks and secret handshakes, without offending anyone.
  • Options
    Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2014
    I can't speak for anybody else, but where I live "bro" just means friend. Everybody uses it, no matter what the gender is.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    delonariel wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:
    Cowplanted wrote:

This is why I have a problem with it being in the game. You can't completely disassociate it from real-life connotations. TS2 had a great social group system, including jocks and secret handshakes, without offending anyone.

I agree. They could have handled it differently. Perhaps it was a conscious decision to handle it this way because they were targeting a particular audience. Since TS1 I have heard/read articles about there being more females playing than males, about the "dollhouse" quality of the game, etc. etc. I don't know what actual usage statistics are, but if they're trying to attract a younger, male demographic, maybe they decided this was one way to do it. The bro-centric nature of the gameplay demo certainly didn't speak to confirmed family players.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have never heard of the term bro as an insult. I know many men who use that term for males and can turn right around and call a female a 'brah'. It is not meant to be negative or is it taken negative.

• Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    delonariel wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:
    Cowplanted wrote:

I agree. They could have handled it differently. Perhaps it was a conscious decision to handle it this way because they were targeting a particular audience. Since TS1 I have heard/read articles about there being more females playing than males, about the "dollhouse" quality of the game, etc. etc. I don't know what actual usage statistics are, but if they're trying to attract a younger, male demographic, maybe they decided this was one way to do it. The bro-centric nature of the gameplay demo certainly didn't speak to confirmed family players.

I 100% agree with this. They know the majority of the players are women and young girls yet advertising is often aimed towards men because they're hoping to attract more male players. Even in the last trailer we had the sexily-dressed maid and the old man in the tub with a young woman in lingeré standing by.

I have no problem with them attracting male players, I just wish they could be more classy about it.
  • Options
    pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2014
    The bro trait is gross. People who usually say bro are not people society should be proud of. at least in my area.

Plus the devs don't strike me as the type of people who would say bro, it seemed very ugly and forced when they were trying to be one of the "bros". Like :roll:

I personally find most people who says bro extremely annoying dumb jock thughs.
  • Options
    SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited July 2014
    The bro trait is gross. People who usually say bro are not people society should be proud of. at least in my area.

Plus the devs don't strike me as the type of people who would say bro, it seemed very ugly and forced when they were trying to be one of the "bros". Like :roll:

I personally find most people who says bro extremely annoying dumb jock thughs.

^This. Where I'm from, calling someone a bro is not a compliment. Bros may call each other bro, and it's fine, but when someone outside of the bro stereotype says it, it's an insult. To me, a bro is an annoying fratboy type, who is loud and obnoxious and goes to the clubs/bars and gets drunk every weekend. They were most likely jocks in highschool and still think they are the top of the food chain.

I suggest everyone watch the 'Broadway Bro Down' episode of South Park...seriously.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    delonariel wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:
    Cowplanted wrote:

This is interesting to me because I have more negative feelings associated with the word "jock" than I do with "bro."
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top