Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I thought calling a male a "bro" was an insult?

That's how everyone in my area of the world uses that word. If you call a guy a "bro", it's got negative connotations and is meant as an insult. I don't know anyone who would be happy to know they were called a "bro". It's used to describe a sleezy, brain slow guy who thinks he's hot when he's not and is embarrassing to be around.

I keep seeing EA pushing the "bro" trait, like almost everything I see is talking about "bro this bro that we're bros". Is there somewhere in the world where being a "bro" is considered desirable?

Comments

• Options
    BlazerineBlazerine Posts: 2,544 Member
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    AnneMarit2AnneMarit2 Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, me to. If it's two girls, is there a "sis"-trait?
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    Blazerine wrote:

Meaning what?
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    Lol this thread will soon turn into a debate about sexism and misogyny. Just watch :lol:
  • Options
    BlazerineBlazerine Posts: 2,544 Member
    edited July 2014
    Are you a troll? Seriously?
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited July 2014
    It depends on context. It's not necessarily negative.

I am heartily tired of Sim!bros, however, at this point.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    In my part of the world, the term is pretty much only used in a particular segment of a particular ethnic group, and means, in that context, "my brother." However, like some other reserved words, it is best left in that community because outside the group, connotations may be negative. I'm 100% sure this is not the way EA is defining "bro."

When I lived in another part of the world, the term "brah" (also meaning "brother") was used among surfer- and beach-types, but again, it was not used outside of that community.

I work at a university and have seen fraternity boys engage in the types of behavior that seem to be associated with the TS4 "bro" trait. Maybe that's what they're trying to emulate. Who knows. I don't much care for the behavior, so it's not a trait I'll be using. And applying it to a female strikes me as just plain silly, but I've seen some folks on the forum (who apparently are younger females) say that they use the word for their female friends, so whatever.
  • Options
    sims34everhtysims34everhty Posts: 29 New Member
    edited July 2014
    in America 'bro' means friend
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Maybe it's the PG-version of gay? If that is so, that would just make my day!

(Yeah, I know it isn't, but this gives the whole Gameplay-video a new dimension)

EDIT: "Hip bump" ha ha
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    Blazerine wrote:
    Are you a troll? Seriously?

Me? No.

Just stating facts. Last time there was a topic about the bro trait, the thread turned into a sexism/misogyny debate.

And why do people call others trolls so freely now? :roll:
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited July 2014
    #deleteallbros

:lol:
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    in America 'bro' means friend

Not in the part of America where I live, unless you belong to a specific segment of a specific ethnic group.
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    Maybe it's the PG-version of gay? If that is so, that would just make my day!

(Yeah, I know it isn't, but this gives the whole Gameplay-video a new dimension)

I don't really think that's funny. (I know, you don't care, but I do).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    And why do people call others trolls so freely now? :roll:

Well, I do it because I'm Norwegian, you know: http://youtu.be/TLEo7H9tqSM

EDIT: But seriously; when a forum is this toxic, everybody gets misunderstood, and it is easy to throw the Troll-blame.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

I care. Why is that not funny?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:

The PG version of gay? I'm confused
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, I'm not down with the idea that gay has an R rated version, myself.

And Bro has not to my knowledge been used to indicate gay-more to indicate male/male affection and bonding in general.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by projecting my feelings onto it. I think the "bros" in the demo acted ridiculous and stupid, so substituting "gay" for "bro" would be very insulting toward gay folks. However, you may have been thinking something entirely different. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rebekah512 wrote:
    Well, I'm not down with the idea that gay has an R rated version, myself.

And Bro has not to my knowledge been used to indicate gay-more to indicate male/male affection and bonding in general.

exactly. kinda like the word "bromance", bro doesn't mean gay, it just means a very close and maybe even somewhat affectionate relationship between two males.
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think I'm getting old. I hate that word, "bromance." (Doggone kids, get off of my lawn! *shakes cane*)

Actually, I suppose I am "old." I just don't feel like it, except when I have to get out of bed in the morning.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by projecting my feelings onto it. I think the "bros" in the demo acted ridiculous and stupid, so substituting "gay" for "bro" would be very insulting toward gay folks. However, you may have been thinking something entirely different. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.

Ahh, I see how you could have thought that. That was not at all my joke :-) I was more making a little bit fun of how very uptight some Americans are about gay people. It seems to us in Northern Europe that Americans(again not all of you) are more comfortable with the kind of masculine clown culture that is the "Bro-culture", than what you are with "Gay-culture", and that a PG-rating would allow the "Bro-culture" through (due to massive double standard by the folk that give us the PG-ratings) and not a clearly stated "Gay-culture".

I see that by us having different cultures and a little language barrier om my part, that joke didn't translate well. Sorry for that.
  • Options
    COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited July 2014
    I always thought it meant 2 things like "Friend" or an actual "Brother"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    Ahh, I see how you could have thought that. That was not at all my joke :-) I was more making a little bit fun of how very uptight some Americans are about gay people. It seems to us in Northern Europe that Americans(again not all of you) are more comfortable with the kind of masculine clown culture that is the "Bro-culture", than what you are with "Gay-culture", and that a PG-rating would allow the "Bro-culture" through (due to massive double standard by the folk that give us the PG-ratings) and not a clearly stated "Gay-culture".

I see that by us having different cultures and a little language barrier om my part, that joke didn't translate well. Sorry for that.

Some Americans are-but that is changing. Changing faster than I ever thought it could. I look forward to the day marriage is just marriage, no matter who you love.

I thank the "kids" for that. :) Younger Americans quite rightly can't figure out what the fuss is about for the most part.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:

I'll take my gay friends over anyone acting like a Sim "bro" any day; my gay friends don't act like immature idiots ;-) (Well, maybe one does, but that's because he's rather young, not because he's gay).
  • Options
    CowplantedCowplanted Posts: 78
    edited July 2014
    In my area and most of my friends' areas, "bro" is used alongside "dude" and "man" and "girl" as affectionate, silly, gender-neutral terms of endearment. I use all those words among my group of friends all the time. Apparently in some places it has negative connotations and people seem to associate it with misogyny, which personally I find absolutely ludicrous. I have no idea how such a light-hearted word picked up such a negative meaning in some places.
  • Options
    TrancepireTrancepire Posts: 969 Member
    edited July 2014
    people must see that word from a broader perspective or at least as how EA interpreted it.
    cnc4pew3.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top