Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only who isnt bothered if someone doesnt like TS4? Do you remember TS3 dislike/backlash?

Comments

• Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2014
    I never really followed the Sims community until well into TS3's run, but now I'm regretting seeing what the transition was like. I'd be interested to see the parallels.

I remember when I got TS3 and installed it I was so disappointed in it that I almost uninstalled and took it back. It took a while for me to get into it. I just felt like everything I loved about the game had fallen by the wayside in favour of this bland open world (it was pretty but just sort of flat and lifeless) and CAst, which I liked but only because designing houses became the only really fun thing I could do in that game.
    In ts2, because you're confined to one lot most of the time, they had to focus on Sims and their interactions with each other. They felt so real and alive. Gameplay never seemed to get boring or repetitive. I loved my Sims. I cared about their lives. TS3 was all about shiny new features and no substance.

I'm so excited for TS4 because finally it looks like that substance is BACK and better than ever. People keep saying “what's the hook? They're removing and not improving!" But I'm sick of hooks. I'm sick of big gimmicky shiny features that add very little to gameplay if they don't actually detract from it in the long run. And to be honest, it seems they've removed things TO improve the game. I'm so ready for this game and I hope it blows everyone out of the water.
  • Options
    pixiedust4267pixiedust4267 Posts: 1,194 Member
    edited July 2014
    I wasn't on the forums when TS3 was released, but I remember thinking that no way was I going to switch over from TS2 to TS3. I eventually did a couple of months later after I saw some game play videos, and decided that it looked really cool.

I'm excited for Sims 4 to come out. I keep checking my emails and Origin for the demo. I hope that I get it pretty soon. In the meantime I've been messing around playing with Sims 2 again.
    SQfkfxm6rt.gif
  • Options
    GarvelleGrantGarvelleGrant Posts: 390 Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh boy do I remember the TS3 transition, the forums were insane... hehehe good times... but I guess that's what happens, some are gonna love, some are gonna hate... Me personally I CANNOT wait till Sep 2... grrr it's gonna be a long August... I need to apply for vacation off work I plan to be playing for hours straight... my sims obsession/addiction is too real
    Sexy Socialite

1KuFGd.gif
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    The whole uproar DOES remind me very much of when TS3 was announced. There was even some backlash when TS2 was announced.
    There was backlash with Sims 2??? Impossible :shock:
  • Options
    AnneMarit2AnneMarit2 Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2014
    I keep checking my emails and Origin for the demo. I hope that I get it pretty soon. In the meantime I've been messing around playing with Sims 2 again.

Yeah me to! I'm checking it ALL THE TIME. I really hope to see to "You go Girl"-mail from EA :-)
  • Options
    crayzeehappeecrayzeehappee Posts: 676 Member
    edited July 2014
    No, ur not the only one who isn't bothered. What bothers me is how rude they are to the people who actually like the game.
    Origin Username: crayzeehappee
    funny-game-glitch-sims-baby-leave.jpg
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    I was someone that didn't like the Sims 3, talked about it on the old message boards and didn't even buy until the recent Steam sale when I got all the expansions dirt cheap (I didn't even buy to play, I bought to convert items to the Sims 2). I remember quite well.

The reason most people, me included, weren't getting the Sims 3 was because of the loss of neighborhood management. I liked building total neighborhoods and filling it up with my own sims, then making them interact. I don't care for story progression.

That may not have been so bad though and I may have still been willing to try at the time, but when it was coupled with EA coming off the Securom disaster and pushing their store items... nope. I played Sims 2 with the rest of the people that are still playing Sims 2.

This is nothing like that situation. This situation is way worse and based completely around EA's business practices. Since it looks like the Sims is going the way of a subscription game, it's really off the table for a lot of long time simmers. No toddlers, no pools, none of the good stuff that the Sims 3 ended up offering carrying over (cast) plus a monthly fee??? Not a chance in hades, friends.

I don't want to play an MMO, and if I did, it sure wouldn't be the Sims.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    No, ur not the only one who isn't bothered. What bothers me is how rude they are to the people who actually like the game.

I've also seen some people who are rude to the ones who don't like the game telling them to "stop complaining."
  • Options
    TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    edited July 2014
    I never really followed the Sims community until well into TS3's run, but now I'm regretting seeing what the transition was like. I'd be interested to see the parallels.

I remember when I got TS3 and installed it I was so disappointed in it that I almost uninstalled and took it back. It took a while for me to get into it. I just felt like everything I loved about the game had fallen by the wayside in favour of this bland open world (it was pretty but just sort of flat and lifeless) and CAst, which I liked but only because designing houses became the only really fun thing I could do in that game.
    In ts2, because you're confined to one lot most of the time, they had to focus on Sims and their interactions with each other. They felt so real and alive. Gameplay never seemed to get boring or repetitive. I loved my Sims. I cared about their lives. TS3 was all about shiny new features and no substance.

I'm so excited for TS4 because finally it looks like that substance is BACK and better than ever. People keep saying “what's the hook? They're removing and not improving!" But I'm sick of hooks. I'm sick of big gimmicky shiny features that add very little to gameplay if they don't actually detract from it in the long run. And to be honest, it seems they've removed things TO improve the game. I'm so ready for this game and I hope it blows everyone out of the water.

I agree with everything you just said. The substance is completely missing from the sims 3. Like how in the world am I supposed to CARE about sims who dont even show one single human emotion on their faces? How am I supposed to care what happens to them when none of the negative or good interactions have an impact on how they act after it has happened? How can I have fun playing a game where everything about it seems robotic. Sure the world was so called "open" but it was dead. You would go to lots and there would be 1 or 2 people there standing around. Parties suck so hard in the sims 3. And you're right the things they removed were to make the game BETTER which it has. I wish the few people who dont like it would stop saying the sims didnt look the same in the game as in CAS.The settings were on low during that gameplay video.If the settings had been on high it would have looked amazing. It's a bunch of nitpicking going on. But there is a lot of great things about the sims 4.I am so READY! Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    I remember when the sims 3 was announced and the pictures shown everyone complained of how much better the sims 2 was and there was so much dislike.
    Umm... that's not at all what happened. The backlash came after the release of the game. We haven't even released The Sims 4 yet, it will be interesting to say the least...
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    And you're right the things they removed were to make the game BETTER which it has.

"Improve, don't remove." Meaning improve the open world, do not remove it. Improve story progression, do not remove it. Improve favorites, do not remove them.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:
    I remember when the sims 3 was announced and the pictures shown everyone complained of how much better the sims 2 was and there was so much dislike.
    Umm... that's not at all what happened. The backlash came after the release of the game. We haven't even released The Sims 4 yet, it will be interesting to say the least...

Ummm...yeah. I dont know where you were. But that is exactly what "happened". So um, yeah. Not about to argue with you.Plenty of people did not like the sims 3 look of the actual sims before the game was released.All it takes is a GOOGLE search!!! No need to argue. They were called pudding faces and a couple of other things.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    And you're right the things they removed were to make the game BETTER which it has.
    I'm sorry, BUT THEY CLEARLY SAY THAT IS NOT THE CASE. On multiple occasions they have said things were cut due to limited time or resources. It was NEVER once implied they were removed to make the game better.
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:

"Improve, don't remove." Meaning improve the open world, do not remove it. Improve story progression, do not remove it. Improve favorites, do not remove them.

Wow.Um, removing Create a style and scaling down the world helps with lag and crashing and game issues DRAMATICALLY. There are other sims players out there besides yourself who are going to be helped a lot by this change. So,yeah.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    Plenty of people did not like the sims 3 look of the actual sims before the game was released.
    The same could be said about The Sims 4.

The fact is people will ultimately get over and accept the graphics. The reason Sims 2 is much more highly regarded than Sims 3 has little to do with the graphics. It was what happened after the release that caused people to go back to the Sims 2.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesnt care what other peoples opinions of the sims 4 are? Like I dont become mad or disappointed if someone else hates the sims 4. I think the sims 4 is awesome and I have all along. I fell in love with the feel of the game from the beginning but if someone else says its not their cup of tea thats fine.Basically, Im still going to enjoy the game :)

To my other point:

I have been playing the sims since the sims 1. I was like 10 at the time.Anyway, I accepted and looked forward to each new sims game.Yet many players met the sims 3 with resistance. I remember when the sims 3 was announced and the pictures shown everyone complained of how much better the sims 2 was and there was so much dislike.I was excited and looking forward to the new take on the sims.I never really had fun with the sims 3, not like I did with the sims 2, I could play for hours.

Anyway, I'm saying all this to say that I think most people see the good things about the sims 4, at the same time that theres also some who arent happy at all because features they liked arent there.

I think you might be the only one :wink: . I hope you can stay that way :lol: .

I tried not to ruin other's happiness for TS4. Therefore you seldom see me posted any "negativity" in the "positive" thread.
    TDU90 wrote:
    And I have to add, as someone who is playing the demo without the create a style,create a SIM is MUCH faster and funner to play with now. The clothes do not need time to load, not even a little.The sims themselves are so customizable, even their walk. It's extremely impressive.I just wish people would appreciate the positives MORE!

I got the demo as well. I have it for almost two week now. I only spent around 30 minutes in that CAS demo so far. I don't hate or dislike it. It is a different experience that the CAS in TS3. I can see the potention in it however it makes me miss CASt more :(. And I am also not a fan of those walk styles :x .

So does it mean that I don't appreciate the positives ? NO, I don't think so. I may not going gaga over the demo CAS but that not because I don't appreciate it. It makes me somehow sad and wish that I got CASt (and toddler) in it. :( .
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:
    I'm sorry, BUT THEY CLEARLY SAY THAT IS NOT THE CASE. On multiple occasions they have said things were cut due to limited time or resources. It was NEVER once implied they were removed to make the game better.

Exactly this. The reason they removed things was because they didn't have time- there's nothing else to it. And how is removing things making the game better? IMPROVE them, don't remove them. IMPROVE the open world, don't remove it. IMPROVE story progression, don't remove it. I don't get why people make these excuses for EA :roll:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:

Lol. It's crazy how riled up you are getting about a game.The sims games are fun and all but shouldnt lead you to seek out arguments and confrontation over other opinions of the sims 3. Anyway, they have said several times the way the sims 4 is set up is going to allow it to be played a lot more smoothly, hence the changes. Calm dowwwwnnnn!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:
    Plenty of people did not like the sims 3 look of the actual sims before the game was released.
    The same could be said about The Sims 4.

The fact is people will ultimately get over and accept the graphics. The reason Sims 2 is much more highly regarded than Sims 3 has little to do with the graphics. It was what happened after the release that caused people to go back to the Sims 2.
    Im pretty sure its because of the way the gameplay is less fun than the sims 2. Im not obsessed with graphics either and prefer the sims 2 because it was so fun and quirky i could play for hours. The sims 3 just does not have that touch and the sims behavior and lack of any real reaction to their environment or the events of the day comes across really robotic and fake.On a sidenote, the sims 3 hair is not better than the sims 4. All the cc for the sims 3 hair alone proves that.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    Anyway, they have said several times the way the sims 4 is set up is going to allow it to be played a lot more smoothly, hence the changes. Calm dowwwwnnnn!
    That's just marketing.

The reason the worlds work the way they do now is because they originally designed an online game. Once they changed paths, it became a convenient reply (or lie if you will) to say the cuts were to made so it runs on less powerful machines. The cuts were made so it could work online.

And that has nothing to do with pools or toddlers or story progression.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2014
    AnneMarit2 wrote:

Yes, discuss. But that is not what happens in these forums. It's nagging, ********, trolling, name-calling and so on.

Both parties have a fair share on this. The nagging, bashing, trolling, name-calling were done by both the "buying TS4" and "not buying TS4" camps.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Susiechan wrote:
    AnneMarit2 wrote:

Yes, discuss. But that is not what happens in these forums. It's nagging, ********, trolling, name-calling and so on.

Both parties have a fair share on this. The nagging, bashing, trolling, name-calling were done by both the "buying TS4" and "not buying TS4" camps.

Btw, I love the walk styles. I know you dont care for it thats fine. But I love how it adds a touch of personality and says a lot about who my sim is before they open their mouth.EA did good with this :)
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    Moonbarker wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:

Wow.Um, removing Create a style and scaling down the world helps with lag and crashing and game issues DRAMATICALLY. There are other sims players out there besides yourself who are going to be helped a lot by this change. So,yeah.
    Because I love to play devil's advocate, what about the people who are the ones complaining when their computers don't actually reach minimum specs? Features could be getting cut because of some people whining that their computer can't handle it when if they shared their full specs, people would be able to see that it shouldn't be surprising at all that it doesn't work.

Again, just a little devil's advocate, I don't mean any disrespect but I have heard of this happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:
    Anyway, they have said several times the way the sims 4 is set up is going to allow it to be played a lot more smoothly, hence the changes. Calm dowwwwnnnn!
    That's just marketing.

The reason the worlds work the way they do now is because they originally designed an online game. Once they changed paths, it became a convenient reply (or lie if you will) to say the cuts were to made so it runs on less powerful machines. The cuts were made so it could work online.

And that has nothing to do with pools or toddlers or story progression.

Im kind of confused. You dont like the sims 4, nothing about it.The sims 3 isnt going anywhere though. You love it. So why are you so bent out of shape about a game you dont have to purchase? I dont prefer the sims 3 so I dont buy it but I dont want to talk about the things I dislike because I know Im done with the game. You're for sure not buying TS4,right? Just relax.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TDU90 wrote:
    Moonbarker wrote:
    TDU90 wrote:

Most game issues were caused by the coding and programming of the open world and stuff. The open world and CASt weren't completely at fault when it came to crashes. There are games out there that keep things from previous versions while also adding to it. I don't see why Sims can't do the same as all those other games on the market, when instead of removing things, they would keep and improve them. Games and computers should be able to handle an open world by now if it's coded correctly. We're in 2014 here. Again, improve it, don't remove it.