Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't professional gamer types take The Sims seriously?

Comments

• Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    People who have never played The Sims generally don't understand it, they don't understand what's fun about it or how addictive it can be. We as a community are actually, for the most part, rather isolated from the rest of the gaming world, purely because this game is so unique and misunderstood. I gurantee you that if The Sims had competitors, you'd hear more about this genre. As it is now, most people who have never played are usually very surprised, and often don't believe you until you give them proof, to hear that The Sims is, in fact, the best selling PC franchise of all time.

I agree, we are just misunderstood but they don't realize that there is a huge Sim community out there and is played across the world.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    OP, did you watch E3 today or just the TS4 part? Notice the Xbox games even some by EA? Did you see Call of Duty's add on for DL on Xbox One?

Think about how that game looked, sounded, how interactive, and all most real so much so you could reach out and touch the enemy or the medic. Then look at the gameplay demo (not the commercial trailer) for TS4..you have your answer. Gamers know what I am talking about. Dragon Age (new one) did you see it? OMG< I might give up playing PC games and actually jump on the MMO bandwagon if I can go into a world like that. I found myself wondering why was I still playing The Sims after fourteen years when games I have dreamed about are in their third, fourth series. Halo (ten years ago) being repackaged and repainted with all it's bells and whistles. Did you see those guys and how dedicated and hard core they take making their games? Total dedication....I can't believe you have to wonder why The Sims isn't taken seriously. I love The Sims, but I also love games that make you feel you are right there, so much so you can smell it. If they have a single player side I might give up my PC for a new Xbox One. :lol:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    asiamomma82asiamomma82 Posts: 390 Member
    edited June 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    Well with the way they present the game, can you blame them?

This is a good game. It has a lot of players, even hardcore gamers can be closet simmers. But the way they present it...OY! First, they turn it into a reality show dollhouse game. I seriously eye rolled and felt extremely embarrassed watching that presentation. That is not the game. Their stupid fake scenario isn't anywhere near how people can play this game, it is only a tiny aspect of it. However, that presentation just about alienated anyone new that might have been interested in the title even just a little bit. If you aren't into that watching Jersey Shore, then you probably just lost interest in the game if you didn't know anything about it before. I have the game pre-ordered and that presentation just made me lose interest.

I agree with this. When they decide to focus on nothing but how over emotional the sims can be and basically present the game as a soap opera, it's going to turn more "serious" gamers off.

But they did that for their target audience, which are women who no matter how you slice it are their largest fanbase for the game.

Just because their target audience are women doesn't mean they have to go all soap opera reality show drama on it. I am a woman and I hate all that. I'm sure there are plenty of female players who do not care about any of that. They are catering to one type of player when they present it in that manner. I thought that presentation looked incredibly dumb and if I was new to the industry, I would have been completely turned off by it. Heck, I'm a long-time simmer and I was completely turned off by it.

I'm not really into all of that stuff either, but it is what is it. EA is all about the $$$ at the end of the day. Either deal with it or find another game to play. Not trying to be rude, but it's just reality.
  • Options
    Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    because a lot of them think it's "un cool" or childish to play a virtual dolls house lol Most gamers want action, blood and gore.

I never thought of it as a virtual dolls house. It's sad to think that all games aren't regarded as mainstream or popular. Sims is on a whole other league and has generated its own fair amount of hype and press. Because of its core feature (controlling sims) if can be viewed in a negative light. I was annoyed when watching the commentators talk about the other games because I feel that The Sims is the most important game they showed. But this can be said for the fans of the other games showed.
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • Options
    AltarOfWarAltarOfWar Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Because it doesn't include action and killing.

When I was, like, 6, I was all about putting the giant brown crates in front of the tub so I could watch my sims die -- oh, there's killing.

Why is everyone flipping out over this? I play CoD, Battlefield, Civilization, Tomb Raider, and the Sims alike. Maybe that's a serious gamer?
  • Options
    FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2014
    The representation doesn't help with how the game is viewed.Heart and emotion is not going to draw in all demographics but really does narrow down the perspective of what the game is really about.I was a closet simmer for years just because I hated that groan people made regardless of age,orientation, or gender the reaction was usually the same.I don't know if I will leave the box out so people can mock it and say "Hey is that the heart and emotions game" lol But really the Sims game is misunderstood I have met a few Simmers in real life and it's been some of the coolest people I have ever met!
    The game is a secret little gem :) I wish other people would pick it up but whatever screw them :)
  • Options
    CLM1227CLM1227 Posts: 517 New Member
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    To me anyone who plays any game religiously is a serious hardcore gamer but most peoples definition from asking around seems to be people who play for hours on end to unlock really hard achievements or get to the highest rank etc, then apparently you are considered a pro gamer.... :roll: :roll:

From what I've understood (reading gamer's magazines, sites, etc) is that "hard core" will play just about anything at least once across a large variety of genres - rpg, fps, strategy (real time or turn based), simulation.

I consider any of the creators here (like RuthlessKK) who have sunk hours - days on one creation or anyone at Mod The Sims to be SERIOUS simmers.

Anyone who gets so entrenched in their game of choice that they theory craft, mod, mesh, tutorialize, mach are (to me) considered SERIOUS gamers (regardless of game), but not necessarily hard-core gamers if this is the only game they get so entrenched in.

Hard core, from what I've seen especially among the older gaming crowd, have a rich appreciation for gaming history, art, style, and technology. They'll rave over the original Metroid because it did something for the first time. Those would also be the ones who do give The Sims credit as a life-simulation.

I do not believe FPS players are hard-core just cuz they shoot things. But media does give Player v Player type games much more coverage, perhaps because of the competitive side to them that has inspired tournaments.

The Sims is not a large Multi-player game that pits players against each other, racing to the top of leader boards, and requiring a lot of the quick response times that are necessary to do that. For this, I think it will perhaps always be taken out of the spotlight.

As for me, I love Civ 5, Elder Scrolls, WoW, and The Sims (and pretty much any other simulation game like Tycoons). I don't consider myself a hard-core gamer, though I would say I'm a gamer.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited June 2014
    I love the Sims franchise and have since the beginning. My take on hard-core gamers is this: If you can't kill everyone in sight, drive like a maniac while killing everyone in your path, act out your desire to be a killing machine...you aren't playing a 'real' game. And, to me, that is way too much like Real Life for me to enjoy.

When you look at the statistics of people who have been accused/convicted of terrible crimes you see a pattern. Now I am not saying every hard-core gamer becomes a thief or a murderer;but there is some credibility in what law enforcement profilers are saying...these killing games do have an impact on younger minds. And that is scary to me.

I have tried all of the better games out there and I always come back to my Sims game. Maybe that is because I am a Baby Boomer and lived during a less stressful, uncertain time and I seek a game that reflects what I miss now in Real Life.

I can only guess at why 'serious' gamers want to ridicule the Sims franchise. And to be honest, I truly do not care what their reasons for that are. It is what it is. They are not going to change what I will or won't play. Their opinion means nothing to me as I am sure mine matters little to them. To each their own.

• Options
    Chocoholic_GurlChocoholic_Gurl Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2014
    A lot of people don't take it seriously. It's seen as pointless because it doesn't have an obvious goal like COD, GTA, etc.

My brother is an avid gamer and thinks you might as well be playing with dolls. He said if it had killing, it would be more interesting.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2014
    zorba2357 wrote:
    Hardcore gamers don't matter. People spending money on games does matter.
    Of course they won't make a huge deal out of The Sims 4. It's not the "in" thing for 16-28 year old males. So what. As long as the game turns a profit we're fine.
    On a side note, if it were more popular maybe another company would get on board and create some Sim competition. I'm sick of EA being the only option. I can't even begin to imagine what another company could develop that might rip EA a new one.

THIS!

GTA V has raked in over two billion dollars in sales. Fairly hardcore gamer crowd there. Too bad EA can't see that.

Why isn't it taken as seriously? Not sure I agree it's not. But, assuming that's the case, if you want to 'WOW!' at E3, making software that will run on grandma's computer is NOT the way to do it. (BTW, there's a LOT I like about the look of Sims 4, so don't flame me, please)
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    I consider hard core gamers to be like the guys on The Big Bang Theory. I think they would rather play a game (RPGs) more so than go out to a community lot. I think they think, eat, drink games. I think they are probably super smart when it comes to PCs, Consoles, and all things electronic. I think they may know more about the guts of a game than the developer if that developer hasn't been around long, and probably don't hesitate to argue with them what should be in their games and what shouldn't been their games and will argue what is the better version of a series, and probably knows how to mod it, how to cheat in it, how to throw the game to win or lose. I think they probably having been playing those games longer than a developer and so they take an attitude they were there first and they know how it works, ...oh, wait.... :? :mrgreen:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2014
    Oh. And you don't 'win' at Sims. You just..I don't know...play it. It's kind of like a train set that you visit now and then.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    noddynoddy Posts: 849 Member
    edited June 2014
    I for one have also played the Sims since the beginning and DO NOT like Killing etc. in games. I have Never thought off this a Doll House Playing , to me it's a way to escape the real world . Its up to the individual on how they play.

For instance today I'am in bed with my Illness(not looking for sympathy) and will play later to escape the Pain .
    I don't need guns and violence in my game there is enough of that in the real world.

What I guess I am trying to say is it is up to everyone to play what ever takes their fancy.

So I Hope the Sims goes on for a very long time.
    Happy Simming all
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think this game would get more love if they marketed it for what it actually is...a god game. And other gamers will understand that because almost all have played one of the other sim games at some point in their lives. It's sad that they focus on the story tellers who are just a tiny portion of players.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well I am a girl and I play a ton of games(mass effect, dragon age, MMOs to name a few), including the Sims.

Here is my personal opinion. Technically, the Sims game is considered a girly game in a man's gaming world. You know what else...I know some of those hardcore gamers are playing the Sims. They just don't admit it...lol.

Lastly, if you ever go to any of those E3 shows, you will probably see more guys than girls there so it makes sense to market to the crowd that is there. That is why I believe Sims will get little airtime.

There is a reason the Sims Developers were encouraging simmers to come out to E3.

• Options
    joshirejoshire Posts: 645 New Member
    edited June 2014
    It's the sad truth, a lot of people watching E3 were probably like 'why's sims here, get to the good stuff' even I can whole heartidly admit that my friends don't know I play the game because well, I'd be embarrassed, even though I check forums everyday and can play the game for hours..

I don't like it this way though..
  • Options
    Mathew12300Mathew12300 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Innuendo21 wrote:
    TONS of gay guys play it too, which creates a stigma as most aren't thought of as playing normal video games.

True; even though I do play other 'normal' games, mainly strategy games
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    To whoever mentioned PewDiePie, I just want to let you know that a lot of serious gamers do not take him seriously (a lot = every single one I know and most of the ones that participate on the gaming forums I go to). He is annoying, swears a lot, his jokes are stupid and make him sound like a 13-years-old boy and he is a bad player. I mean, seriously, that guy can't play any of the games I saw him playing to save his life. I don't know if he just can't talk and play at the same time, maybe it is just that, but his videos are a pain to watch.

It doesn't matter if he makes fun of The Sims. It doesn't matter if anyone makes fun of The Sims. Just play your game and ignore them, a lot of them (if not all) are pretty pathetic anyway.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2014
    EswenRaedself,

You have some good points but honestly EA made the smart business decision.

I would say fifty percent of their market base don't have high end computers, so they have to make the game playable on lower end computers, hence the graphics.

I totally agree with you on the silly wrestler masks and death by laughter.

• Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think it depends on the gamers. Some aren't into sandbox games. Many like it where there are more goals and challenges to face. Others might assume it is too kiddish because it's cartoony style (which is funny, as some of first/original cartoons were aimed towards adults and not kids and many animations now still are. It wasn't until later on that they started making cartoons for children's entertainment and once they did, people seem to have the mindset that cartoons=little kids). Sims isn't meant to be too realistic, it removes all the humor out of it and makes it sort of creepy and bland. It's playing with life, but is an zany way. It's a simulator game, which probably isn't the most popular genre of games.

Also computers are different than game consoles. Almost everyone has access to a computer because computers have a lot of different uses, but not everyone has like $2000 computer. Makes more sense for them to produce a game that more people can have access to. That's probably how they became the best selling games, despite not taken seriously. With consoles, there are different kinds and not everyone has the same ones.

Why does it have to have 'mature' content to be taken seriously? Not every game needs that really nor doesn't necessarily make a game good . What makes it good is game that is engaging, that makes you want to play it. Story, characters, etc....

Eh, I am not too into shooter games which are the most popular games at the moment. I am playing a different game right now for PS3, but I am not going to mention the name of the game of it as it is a really mature/M rated game and not sure if that is allowed here. I like it because the plot and characters are quite different and unique to me. Of course, I don't hear much about that game either because probably it isn't the most popular genre. Apparently outside of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, I don't pick popular games or games seen as serious. 8)
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2014
    Because they are struggling to become Peacocks... but no matter how far they tap dance, they will never be anything but a cloud struggling to attach itself to the distant rainbow to feed from the pride that is that pot of gold... I like sunshine and I want to eat pudding! :mrgreen:

134817,xcitefun-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited June 2014
    keekee53 wrote:
    Lastly, if you ever go to any of those E3 shows, you will probably see more guys than girls there so it makes sense to market to the crowd that is there. That is why I believe Sims will get little airtime.

There is a reason the Sims Developers were encouraging simmers to come out to E3.

That is exactly why their presentation was such a huge disappointment. This wasn't a fan event. This is E3, go big or go home and cater to your audience.

I'm a gamer, I play a lot of different games and I was excited for E3 for more than just TS4. I watched the Microsoft event before the EA one and they kind of hooked me with certain games. Then I was excited as all get out to learn more about Mass Effect. Then all of a sudden, the sims 4 took me straight out of that awesome "OHMAGERD" mood. I mean I went from a high to the floor in no time flat. I'm a pretty peppy, optimistic person, but the showmanship was just awful for the event. It was embarrassing and I agree with the people who are making fun of the franchise as much as I hate that. Rachel Franklin just dropped the ball big time...you cater to the audience in front of you, not the fan base. The fans will listen and be there in the morning.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2014
    Paigeisin5 wrote:
    I love the Sims franchise and have since the beginning. My take on hard-core gamers is this: If you can't kill everyone in sight, drive like a maniac while killing everyone in your path, act out your desire to be a killing machine...you aren't playing a 'real' game. And, to me, that is way too much like Real Life for me to enjoy.

When you look at the statistics of people who have been accused/convicted of terrible crimes you see a pattern. Now I am not saying every hard-core gamer becomes a thief or a murderer;but there is some credibility in what law enforcement profilers are saying...these killing games do have an impact on younger minds. And that is scary to me.

I have tried all of the better games out there and I always come back to my Sims game. Maybe that is because I am a Baby Boomer and lived during a less stressful, uncertain time and I seek a game that reflects what I miss now in Real Life.

I can only guess at why 'serious' gamers want to ridicule the Sims franchise. And to be honest, I truly do not care what their reasons for that are. It is what it is. They are not going to change what I will or won't play. Their opinion means nothing to me as I am sure mine matters little to them. To each their own.

I think that just as "casual" gamers are stereotyped as people who only play Candy Crush and Cooking Mama, "hardcore" gamers are stereotyped as adrenaline junkies who just want to shoot and kill. What makes someone a hardcore gamer can be debated, but generally most people agree that someone who's very serious about gaming has an appreciation of several different genres and is interested in game mechanics and history. My husband, for instance, plays plenty of CoD, but he also plays Minecraft and Mario Kart with his friends. He also loves Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls and we've played a ton of Little Big Planet together.

The thing about the Sims is that it's a special series. It has within it the tools to appeal to a very broad audience of gamers. And it used to, if you look back at the Sims 1 days. A ton of gamers with various tastes played the first game and found things to like about it. But now the audience that they appeal to seems to shrink more and more with each installment. And that is what it is. They can try hamming up the emotions and appealing to an even smaller group than TS3 did, and see if it pays off for them. But I know that I'm starting to feel like TS4 isn't for me at all.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited June 2014
    As this suddenly turned into a forum for trashing TS4?
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited June 2014
    Because it is a teeny bopper game where vampires eat fruit to stay alive. :lol: Duh. Real gamers know how vampires are supposed to be.