Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't professional gamer types take The Sims seriously?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,409 Member
    edited June 2014
    Because it is a teeny bopper game where vampires eat fruit to stay alive. :lol: Duh. Real gamers know how vampires are supposed to be.

Mwhahaha, so true!! Thank you for making me start my day with a great laugh :mrgreen::lol:
  • Options
    lotstar2703lotstar2703 Posts: 99 Member
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, while I wouldn't consider myself a "hardcore gamer", I play a massive variety of games, and I don't really care about what others think about the games I play. Lots of people think that Sims isn't a true game, and it's probably because of the lack of actual objectives, but really, it's a single player game, so why care about what other people think? I find it fun, and that's all that matters.
    A Legacy of Misfits - http://misfitsims.wordpress.com
  • Options
    SimurgSimurg Posts: 361 Member
    edited June 2014
    Faboosh wrote:
    I wish other people would pick it up but whatever screw them :)

Yes YES!!! *insert Evil/Maniacal Sim laugh here*

I'm 24 years old male and I enjoy playing sims. Who cares about those teenage-headed jerks who have nothing better to do than labelling themselfs as "hard-core gamers" and mock other games and gamers to cover up their patheticness?

The Sims franchise is a very very different one, same as its community from other games. I do enjoy Elder Scrolls , Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed and GTA. But playing these games wont stop me enjoying sims series.

You know people don't take Tomb Raider series too seriously just because the main character is female. For those "hardcore-super-uber-cool gamers" a game is only worth playing if it includes killing,females used as objects and etc.

We as Sims Community take The Sims Series serious and you know what, we are a beautiful and creative and nice community. Go watch Deligracy and TheSimSupply on youtube and dazzle by their creativity. Then take a look at comments made on their videos. In a place like youtube -which the majority of people mock each other and disencouraging- our community, simmers are really nice and constructive.
    5a46jk.jpg
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2014
    As this suddenly turned into a forum for trashing TS4?

It pretty much seemed that way to me since I really became active here more recently. I feel like people aren't giving it a chance yet or expecting way too much for a base game (knowing already have stuff back in base game is enough to make me happy)...I understand not buying it right away, but trashing it before it is even out to really play it and experiencing it ourselves? And what's wrong with a little silly humor? It makes life more bearable and easier that way (that is actually the point of humor and part of a human reaction and response). Too much drama and tragedy as it is in real life.

As for staged, everything is pretty much staged. That's how they get people to buy their products. That's hardly new.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited June 2014
    The best way to describe sims is: It's like a chick flick.

1. It doesn't have graphics to compete with the other games being released.
    2. It's not a competitive game.
    3. No story, or action.
    4. It's considered a casual game.

As a chick i play sims casually, i don't play it religiously like some people do. So maybe once every 2 months ill start up my game again to play for a few hours, then im done again for the next 2 months. Other games like Mass Effect i have played religiously, because of the amazing story, gameplay, graphics (at that time).

Now people might tell me if you play a game solely for graphics then you're not a true gamer. No, i play a game for it's graphics, gameplay and story. Mass Effect had all 3, Sleeping dogs had all 3, Skyrim had all 3. So thats why i say just cause we want sims to have good gameplay doesn't mean EA can sacrifice the other things as there are many games that pull all of it off.
  • Options
    ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    edited June 2014
    There's not enough testosterone in this game, that's why they don't take it seriously. It's Estrogen Central and they're afraid of losing cool points.

I like the Elder Scrolls, Diablo series despite what they've done to it, Assassin's Creed, Carmageddon, things like that, and consider myself a "serious gamer" whether I'm serious all the time about it or not.

And my husband is the same way. Believe me he respects the power of the sims. He made houses, he made me funny sims to put in my game, and he spent thousands on the series for me considering I've bought everything since sims 1 base game came out, minus store stuff. I do have a little bit of store stuff but not much.

He just got the diablo 3 expansion that I passed on to get the Sims 4. He knows a game is serious business if I pass up another beloved game to get it.

tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• Options
    ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    edited June 2014
    double post, the forum messed up :)
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• Options
    medivialprincessmedivialprincess Posts: 774 Member
    edited June 2014
    i'm not a gamer but a 18 yr old female simmer. my boyfriend, and his friends are serious gamers and while I came late to summing ( my parents didn't really do video games even though daddy worked on computers at work so until 4 yrs ago I didn't play any games) and they all played sims 2 and 3 at some point. They still don't treat it like a serious game. I will get excited for an expansion or sims 4 and they shrug it off and talk about League of legends tf2 and many others I loose track of. They see it as a beginners type game and i'm the only one in our group who is an avid player.
    tumblr_m4hniaS8fX1r3l7cvo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Vilin213923Vilin213923 Posts: 519 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't really see why, not everyone is always into FPS games which make up a large majority of 'hardcore' games. I think it's because of the majority of simmers are female and 'girls don't play real video games'
    I play a wide range of games and I enjoy them all, I love the creativity of the sims compared to other games which are just as fun.
    This shaming of fans of a particular series because they aren't gamer's enough is just sad because to outsiders we are all weird people who invest time and money in pixels on the screen.
  • Options
    SimperatrixSimperatrix Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2014
    Not sure about the "hardcore gamers" attitude, but what I've noticed more is that people in general think of the Sims franchise as something that only...I dunno, weirdos or people with some kind of emotional control problem.

There have been a few conversations in real life where someone mentioned a weird friend or acquaintance who plays Sims, and the reaction was always an implicit "No way, what a weirdo." These weren't hardcore gamers, though. But it's easier for them to accept or grasp that people play "hardcore" games than to think that people play the Sims...
  • Options
    ooppii1ooppii1 Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2014
    I guess I find it kinda funny, how "the open world" and "freedom" is the new big thing.. but the sims is still weird. And also, the sims is not completly goalless with all the wishes, acheviements and careers, it's just the "serious" gamer's lack of imagination. The game is not made for you to be told a story, it's made so you can create it.

Most of all it annoys me, that I can get all hyped with someone about Dragon Age, Skyrim and so on(I prefer RPG, yes), but I have still to meet another person who's loving sims and showing it. It really feels like i'm the only one around here were I live (I'm a girl in Denmark and 20 years old)
  • Options
    wafumayowafumayo Posts: 169
    edited June 2014
    I feel like because Sims doesn't seem to have a general plot and/or it isn't made to fulfill some sort of male power fantasy, so-called 'hardcore' gamers consider it a game for 'chicks' and children. Never mind the fact that the E3 presentation was a little underwhelming so that doesn't help matters.

Most people seem to think Sims is just a game where all you do is make people and kill them for an hour; some of my classmates used to think that's all I did when I played Sims even though I played legacy-style all the time, which just went right over their heads.

It gets very frustrating at times, since I consider myself an avid (I don't like the term hardcore gamer) gamer who invests a lot of money and time into a lot of genres of games, but I get written off as some loser for liking Sims, just because they think it's for kids or no-life adults :/
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2014
    keekee53 wrote:
    EswenRaedself,

You have some good points but honestly EA made the smart business decision.

I would say fifty percent of their market base don't have high end computers, so they have to make the game playable on lower end computers, hence the graphics.

I totally agree with you on the silly wrestler masks and death by laughter.

I don't have a high-end computer. The entire game (all EPs/Sps) and CAW run on my Acer laptop.

It's not my opinion as a technical consultant that EA made a good business decision regarding your point. I think it's just an excuse to potentially gouge the users in the near future.

Wonder what the investors think? They're the ones they have to convince because $70 x how many people buy the game does not pay the salaries/expenses at the company. They need the venture capitalists, I'll tell ya. :P

I wonder what kind of market they could have reached had they taken some risk and pushed for the high-end graphics? It's almost like they decided to write that crowd off from the start.

People who really wanted the Sims might have upgraded their computers (I know I've done that in the past, took some time to get the money), the hardcore crowd would have taken a more serious look. Hardcore gamers spend lots of money on games, casual gamers do not. Grand Theft Auto V and it's two+ billion dollar haul can't be wrong.

I'd say they went the safe route. Doubt anything groundbreaking has been done, but it probably will be a financial success. I will likely get it, eventually. And maybe something groundbreaking has been done. We won't know until release.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    because a lot of them think it's "un cool" or childish to play a virtual dolls house lol Most gamers want action, blood and gore.

I don't want blood and gore, but it would be great if it wasn't so kidish.