Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2014
    Advanced Results ~ Megami Market Pt 2 ~ 242-243

☆ArikaB☆
    super landscaping of the front parking area. love the planter boxes and color palette of the plants. I like the hacienda feel of the stucco and beam architecture. Nice bar with exhibition kitchen. cute coffee service area. Love the table with built-in bench seating on one side. community garden is a nice addtion.

suggestions - there was maybe just a tad too much going on in the outdor dining area color, pattern, and texture wise

☆Countrykris1play☆
    cute fountains and outdoor tables with umbrellas. awsome subway tile walls inside. great produce display area. nice use of 1/2 walls to separate/define table areas. great use of decorative items in the kitchen/prep area. Nice choice on the entry windows and door.

suggestions - some contrast between the roof color and exterior wall color would provide more definition and interest; try using some less saturated tones for contrast

☆FaithofKaela☆
    Great use of some advanced architecture/landscaping techniques. Love the sunken market area. Clever use of the shelf area for storage. Love the planters lining the stairs to the restaurant. Cute hanging seating here as well. The bright orange in the kitchen is surprising but well-handled. It's bright and vibrant without being overwhelming. Like the service counter with display cases and register.

suggestions - the stonework on the front wall and walls of the market area might have benefited from something to add contrast & visual interest (wood, stucco, wall hanging, etc)

☆masajo☆
    Love the first impression. Nice, modern architecture. the open-air market stalls under the gazebo are perfect. Like the outdoor bbq and picnic area. Dining areas are chic and refined. Love the open feel given by the floor-to-ceiling windows. Love the kitchen prep area - great attention to detail and use of decorative items.

suggestions - I adored the interior dining space and wish the exterior and market area had blended with this slightly better

☆suepea☆
    cute converted barn look. love the windows and doors for the entrance. love the rustic country garden look around the elevated gazebo. excellent photography - love the little moments you've captured inside that make the build look realistic. the cafe is just adorable with the checkerboard tile floor and the ivy wallpaper - very country and quaint with a touch of class. upstairs cafe with view of the water is lovely.

suggestions - would have liked to have seen a little more attention to the back area with the picnic tables

And the winners are...

Optional Challenge - ArikaB :)

Great choices for Pursia's optional characteristics, and I enjoyed seeing her interacting in your build!

Honorable Mention - Masajo!

That interior dining space made me want stop in to enjoy a meal and a glass of wine or three :D

1st Place - FaithKaela!!!

So many gorgeous aspects, but anyone who can make me like an orange kitchen wins my undying design respect :thumbup:
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited May 2014
    Congrats to Faith and dducknbelle, I believe we are expecting the intermediate results to be up over the weekend. Thanks to all for your patience :D
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    PurpleLotus93PurpleLotus93 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2014
    have the intermediate results been posted yet or did I over look them?
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited May 2014
    have the intermediate results been posted yet or did I over look them?
    No, the intermediate results have not yet been posted, I understand that we are looking to have them up at some point this weekend, thank you all for your patience.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Advanced Results ~ Megami Market Pt 2 ~ 242-243

☆FaithofKaela☆
    Great use of some advanced architecture/landscaping techniques. Love the sunken market area. Clever use of the shelf area for storage. Love the planters lining the stairs to the restaurant. Cute hanging seating here as well. The bright orange in the kitchen is surprising but well-handled. It's bright and vibrant without being overwhelming. Like the service counter with display cases and register.

suggestions - the stonework on the front wall and walls of the market area might have benefited from something to add contrast & visual interest (wood, stucco, wall hanging, etc)

1st Place - FaithKaela!!!

So many gorgeous aspects, but anyone who can make me like an orange kitchen wins my undying design respect :thumbup:

Thank you so much for your kind comments Kathy, yes, I was very pleased with how that kitchen turned out, and I will take your comments on board about those plain stone walls!! Congrats to dducknbelle, ArikaB and Masajo!!
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi Everyone!

Huge Congratulations to the winners so far: Arika, Masajo, Faith, dduck and shegotstyle! There were some really amazing builds in all the categories and I don't envy the judges!

Thanks, KitKat, for the comments on my build -- I agree, the picnic area was a bit sparse. I learned a bunch of stuff in the last ZOOU course that would have probably come in handy-- and then there was the fact that I just ran out of money. But I guess that's the challenge of the Challenge -- using those Simoleons wisely throughout. :)

I am working furiously to have a gift for the aMayzing Gift Exchange and also to finish my ZOOU homework so I will probably sitting out the next build or 2.

But I will be popping in to see all the fabulousness that you guys produce.

Hugs to all.
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    dducknbelledducknbelle Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2014
    suepea wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

Huge Congratulations to the winners so far: Arika, Masajo, Faith, dduck and shegotstyle! There were some really amazing builds in all the categories and I don't envy the judges!

Thanks, KitKat, for the comments on my build -- I agree, the picnic area was a bit sparse. I learned a bunch of stuff in the last ZOOU course that would have probably come in handy-- and then there was the fact that I just ran out of money. But I guess that's the challenge of the Challenge -- using those Simoleons wisely throughout. :)

I am working furiously to have a gift for the aMayzing Gift Exchange and also to finish my ZOOU homework so I will probably sitting out the next build or 2.

But I will be popping in to see all the fabulousness that you guys produce.

Hugs to all.

Thank you suepea, It was fun, I am thoroughly enjoying the sushi restaurant, these are fun and I am enjoying building them win or not..But, it was great to win one!
    xo Jess
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs~
  • Options
    ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited May 2014
    BNS 242-243 Megami Market pt 2 Intermediate Results

Iampes23
    I like how you took inspiration from barns and stables for your architecture. The cream and red is a very attractive combination but I would have liked to see a more rustic appearance to really highlight the store origins. Your landscaping was very pretty but really seemed a bit formal for the country feel you seemed to be going for. However the horseshoe pits somehow seem completely right. Inside you've got alot of great objects and wonderful useage of MOO. However the wall coverings in a couple areas, like the kitchen and the bathroom, seem out of place or overpowering. I would also have liekd to see more of a variation in wood tones than the yellow, or maybe a softer more harmonious wood tone if you wanted to maintain one throughout.

SuzieQz420

You have a very lovely market and cafe. The layout is simple and easily negotiated. Your landscaping is for the most part warm and inviting. I would have liked to see more plants to accent the eating areas or to acct as barriers to create a seperated feel. Inside your cafe is pretty, but very small. In the kitchen I didnt see a sink or a dishwasher. I know you cant always put a stove on a public lot, but those can be and are absolute necessities. You made excellent use of clutter and placement outside.

Optional Challenge: I would have liked to see and know more about Purrsia.

Folala

Your build was nearly impossible to judge. The pictures that Sims3.com gives you are very limited and difficult to see sometimes. Consider perhaps using photobucket. I personally love using a blog, because you can tell a story or explain your thoughts easily. Both are free options. From what I saw it seems pretty, very cottage/farm friendly.

Purplelotus93

When you're taking you pictures, watch out for the fishbowl effect. It gives a distorted sense of space. Tap z to zoom in just a smidge and it will help dispel that problem. You put together a beautiful tavern. Combined with your stalls it makes me feel like its out of a ren fair! However inside I was a bit surprised. No sink in the kitchen? or way for clients to have fun, like darts? There was almost nothing in the way of clutter or art. These are such important things that give life and personality to one's build.

Optional Challenge: Purrsia looks very pretty, and fits in very nicely with her tavern. I liked learning a bit about her as well.

GMCrozier

Your choice of architecture and layout made it feel as it should be in the center of town, right across from City Hall. You did a great job with putting to gether the farmers market. The patio, and the excellent use of terrain paints made this feel very inviting but still pleasently upscale. Inside your palette gave a warm spacious feeling, almost like your favorite cafeteria or coffee bar. But the fencing around the bathroom and kitchen doesnt seem to really mesh. Perhaps a half wall with a more traditional look would have flowed better.

Optional Challenge: Purr looks awfully happy with her new life. I would have liked to learn a bit more about her though.

VannaRed

What a great market! It looks like one of those country stands by the road where you just pull off and buy right out of the fields. I love how you did the stalls, but I think a more traditional roof structure on those would have looked a little more harmonious with the overall build. On the main building consider using a combination of the half roof and some of the mansard roofs if you're trying for a wrap around porch. Good use of the terrain tools and paints. The ktichen looks a bit small for a gourmet. Dont forget to CAS your rug and counters. Excellent choice of objects and placement in the yard. It fits the country feel perfectly.

Optional Challenge: I loved seeing the grand opening and a sample of Purr's new life.

Paneinger

Watch out for the fishbowl effect in your pictures. Zooming in will help dispel that. Fabulous build. Great roofline with an overall welcoming country feel. The deck over hte pond was an unexpected and rather lovely touch. Add the firepit, horseshoes, food and say good bye afternoon. Your colorscheme is a perfect compliment to the build. Does the ice cream parlor have mint chocolate chip by chance? The only real critique I have is that the stone in the bath seems a little TOO rustic and primitive. Maybe break it up a little with wainscoting or wood paneling?

Princess_Natasha

Such a great Market and Cafe! The use the greenhouse roofing brings to mind the pleasure of shopping in there while the rain patters lightly on the roof before clearing into a beautiful day. The landscaping was nicely parklike and continued with the theme. Inside you blended Country and Asian in a warmly eclectic look that was very comfortable and paid homage to the Megami sisters heritage. The only comment I have is that the chairs seemed a little too dark and blended in too easily.

MrzNSmith

This kind of challenge usually calls up more rustic or country style builds. Having such a funky and modern build is a refreshing change. I like how you used the skylights. And the open cafeteria seemed like a nice idea, but wouldnt it be cold in winter? Your landscaping was beautiful. Lush without too much. The coffee bar was great, and would make a fabulous morning cup. The colors though are a rather boring. For something like this I would suggest stronger colors balanced by a subtle flooring to really give it some personality. Inside the market it seems oddly rustic for such a modern build. Perhaps consider switching the market and the cafe around?

Optional Challenge: Purrsia doesnt seem to have a problem with the cold though and seems to be proud of her new cafe. I would have liked to see more about her though.

MaryKup

You nailed the palette for a Tuscan build. It looks like you could drop this into any Italian village without a fuss. But the top looks awfully blocky. Maybe pull some walls back and make balconies or terraces? I'm told that those are major architectural features in Italy. I love the way you made dual use of the crop trees in the courtyard. Very clever. The contests and hopscotch were interesting and certainly suggested that small fairs are held there or maybe weekly contests as a gimmic? Inside the red seems way overpowering! Perhaps a neutral cieling or some paneling would help break it up and tone it down. The tables were adorable however.

RedKitty42

Simplicity is a good thing in nearly every situation. However I have to admit that the overall architecture is rather blocky. If youre uncertain of ways to bring more architectural details to your builds, perhaps researching houseplans or building plans could help inspire you. you did a great job on the covered porches though. They arent easy to do with the covered roofs. Bravo on the use of the deck for stands. Very clever and flexible. I have to say though, I expected more in the way of land scaping. The market area looks so bare and empty. Terrain paints and plants would correct that. Yoru inside however is beautiful. The palette is wonderful and your object choices are perfect. Iwish you had carried the palette into the bathrooms though. After the warm color on the main area, they looked kind of cold and bland.

You guys all did a great job. I really appreciate your patience while I fought my way through RL to get this done.

And now the winners!

Third Place goes to...
    GMCrozier!

Second Place goes to...
    Princess_Natasha!

First Place goes to...
    Paneinger!

Optional Challenge win goes to...
    VannaRed!

Congrats to all!
  • Options
    Suzieqz420Suzieqz420 Posts: 51 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Congrats to everyone!
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited May 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    BNS 242-243 Megami Market pt 2 Intermediate Results

You guys all did a great job. I really appreciate your patience while I fought my way through RL to get this done.

And now the winners!

Third Place goes to...
    GMCrozier!

Second Place goes to...
    Princess_Natasha!

First Place goes to...
    Paneinger!

Optional Challenge win goes to...
    VannaRed!

Congrats to all!

Congrats to everyone on all the great builds!
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited May 2014
    BNS 244-245 A Distinctly Asian Theme Advanced Results

Masajo
    Fantastic build! Love what you did with the pier like entrance over the water :) Looks great. The potted plants on the deck really finish it and make it homey. The floorpattern you have used fits the theme perfectly. Good choice to showcase some sort of tatami. Love the orange colours you picked in the bedrooms. It compliments the woods really well. LOVE the waterfall btw ;) Good use of terrain sculpting and paining. The little shrine like area is a great touch. Only suggestion I have is some terrain pain under the water. The grass peaks out and it's a little odd seeing green there. lovely little private seating and bbq area around the back. Though I didn't see how they get there, do they have to walk around the house? The joined offices look really good, I like how they seem the same, but are each there own. You did a great job :)

And the winner is!!!

Congratulations Masajo!!

Picture5_zpsff716db5.jpg"width=400"
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    edited May 2014
    Thank you very much Lebanna, you've just made my weekend extra special, I'm so excited! Your comments are much appreciated and thanks for the pond painting advice, I will remember next time. Answering your question about the private area, yes they have to walk around (I did test this) .. I tried painting paths but it just didn't look right. I'll be missing the current challenge due to having lots on but look forward to taking part in the next one :D
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You are very much welcome :) Too bad you won't enter this challenge, but will look forward to the next ;)

• Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited May 2014
    Beginner Results : A Distinctly Asian Theme : 244-245

dducknbelle
    I like the colors of your roof. Your landscape is lovely; great use of terrain paints. The dinning room and kitchen have really nice layouts. The outdoor kitchen is a nice addition. You did a nice job with the bathroom. I like the yellow you used for it. Your build is nice!

SUGGESTIONS: I would have liked to see more clutter or furniture in the bedroom. Maybe try to make your bedrooms smaller when doing budget builds. More clutter and furniture throughout the house would have made it feel more homey.

And The Winner Is...

dducknbelle
  • Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited May 2014
    How awesome, I got 2nd place! Thanks!

Congrats to GMCrozier for 1st and Paneinger for 3rd! Also congrats to VannaRed for the optional challenge win!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Congrats to Dducknbelle! :) Lovely build! (Wanted to post this in the regular forum, so a spread double post? haha)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Congrats to Dducknbelle! :) Lovely build! (Wanted to post this in the regular forum, so a spread double post? haha)

Thank you.. I feel like its by default though no one else entered lol.. Oh well feels nice winning. I guess am getting kinda good at this. I have been working on older B&S builds as practice and trying new things, it has been fun testing what I can do and succeeding as well quiet a confidence booster..

:mrgreen: So excited and proud!! Thank you very much..
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs~
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Intermediate Results #244-245 • A Distinctly Asian Theme

VannaRed
    This is most definitely an Asian build, the exterior architecture is very well executed, the roofing is just perfect. It as an interesting idea to have the home on a cliff edge, it certainly adds drama to the setting, the beach looks amazing, but I think the front of the house is obscured a little too much by all the Cherry Trees. The layout is well thought out, but I can't help but thinking some of the rooms feel a little out of proportion, especially that third floor landing for the guest room. Your interiors are well put together, great use of a Japanese inspired palette, the workout room feels quite sparse and a little bland though. My favourite area is that beach, so gorgeously sculpted and landscaped.

Optional Challenge: Love the back story to Ruairi and Eve, great job!

gmcrozier
    What an absolutely Asian home you have created for Eve and Ruairi. The architecture, while simple certainly gives off that Japanese vibe. The roofing is well done and quite understated, I like the fact that you haven't used the pagoda roofs for the entirety of the build. The landscaping is natural and lush, great use of terrain sculpting and paints, and I love that CFE bridge, a lovely little touch. Your interiors are well thought out and the palette suits the theme. You have a really great eye for object choices and placement. The only part of the build I am not 100% sold on is that gym with the turquoise tiles, they really seem to stick out and it feels very bland in comparison to the rest of the build. I am struggling to find a favourite part of this build, as I love it all, but I guess if I had to choose one area it is that wonderful dining area, such great use of CC.

kazza54
    I was unable to judge your build, as I did not have access to your pictures.

folala
    While I understand where you were going with the exterior of this build, I don't think you quite pulled it off, the architecture feels a little 'squat' and out of proportion, had you made those 'wings' 2 stories, I think it would have looked much better. Your landscaping is well thought out and you have made great use of terrain paints, that driveway you have created with the rocks is just fabulous! Your interior are well laid out and although the palette is quite simple, it really works in here. Can I just say I think the way you have done your flooring with the tiles and the such like is a really great idea and works really well. Don't forget you can also CASt your ceilings though... Be really careful when taking screenshots that your pictures don't get that 'fishbowl' look, you might find this guide useful: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604997.page
    My favourite area of your build is that gym area, it's really well thought out and executed and you already know I love the way you did the flooring in there!

xSamanthanicolex
    I think the architecture for this build really works, the balconies are a great touch and the exterior treatments you have chosen help set the tone for the entire build. From what I can see of the landscaping it looks great, those little bordered beds are a lovely touch. The layout works well, great use of space, the palette was well thought out and although you have used different tones throughout the build it still works together, a really great job! The gym is well laid out and I love that you have managed to get a yoga mat in there. The master bedroom feels a little overpowering for me, I think had you chosen a solid green on the panels it may have worked a little better. Don't forget to CASt your doors though, that orange door in there really sticks out. All in all this is a really well put together build, my favourite part is kitchen/dining area, I can see Ruairi and Eve spending many an hour cooking and chatting across the breakfast bar.

Optional Challenge: Your Sims seem to have been removed from the exchange, and as you haven't given me any details on them in your description, I am afraid I am unable to judge this section of your challenge.

TanyaElisabeth
    The exterior of this place looks amazing, the architecture and the exterior treatments you have used, along with the landscaping really helps give that Asian vibe. Great use of the terrain sculpting and painting tools. Your interior layout feels a little messy, I'm not sure how well the home would actually play. Your palette works well throughout the build, although that dark red makes some of the rooms feel incredibly dark, some 'buydebug' lighting might have helped you out there. The kitchen really doesn't say professional or Asian to me at all I'm afraid, it feels more cottagey, which is a shame as it's one of the core parts of the brief, also, try and never block windows with your appliances, this would not happen in 'RL'. My favourite part of your build is the office area, really well thought out, I think your object choices and placement in here are perfect!

MrzNSmith
    The architecture and exterior treatments you have used truly scream Asian inspiration, which is lovely, I am not 100% sold on the pen area at the top of the right ode of the build though, I don't really understand what it is for. Your landscaping works well, you have chosen plants that blend really well with the theme. Good use of the terrain painting and sculpting tools. The layout feels a little off to me, I'm not sure about having that large open plan area as the living area, it feels underutilised especially with those large ceiling lights. The gym is well thought out though, I love the 'may' you have managed to put in there, but don't forget to CAS't everything, that monkey bar looks off with those blue handles. The first floor layout works really well though, and you have great palette running throughout the build. I am loving that kitchen, so well put together. I think it's a little bit of a shame that you didn't personalise the offices. My favourite area is that master suite, it's very well thought out and you have a great eye for object placement and choice, although, I think I would have gone without the border on the walls without the flowers running up them.

Optional Challenge: Great traits selected and they both look to be really enjoying their new home!

MaryKup
    I think the courtyard idea for this challenge is a great one, however, I don't think you have quite nailed it the roofing doesn't quite match up, those deep troughs between the roofs looks a little off. I think had you expanded the lengthways roofs to incorporate the 'wings' of the build it would have looked more integrated. Your landscaping looks good, if a little broken up, the pond feels a little out on a limb... you have made some good use of the terrain sculpting and painting tools though! I'm afraid I really don't understand what you were trying to achieve with the interior layout, it just doesn't flow and I am completely at a loss to understand why anyone would have a workout area adjoining their kitchen... You have made some good object choices and placement decisions, I think it's a shame you didn't make it more your own using CASt though. My favourite area is that entrance courtyard, it's just so perfectly Asian.

Suzieqz420
    The architecture of this build is stunning, so well thought out, and the roof line has been executed perfectly! Your landscaping is great, although I would have been tempted to use a mini fence on the edges of the flower beds edging the balconies. Good use of terrain painting and sculpting tools. I wonder if it would have looked better with those columns having been CASt to match the dark wood, the same goes for the windows. Your object choice and placement is good, although, I think should you make more use of the CASt tool, the build would look more cohesive. And be careful when using two patterns on one wall the purple swirls really don't go with the brown circles in the gym. I think it's a shame you didn't make more of the kitchen area, considering the brief. My favourite part of your build has got to be that architecture, it's so incredibly well executed!

Optional Challenge: Great choices for Eve and Ruari's remaining traits, and they seem to be making themselves at home!

PhoenixRyder
    I would liked to have seen some more shots of the exterior of the house, from what I can see it looks a little like a box, but I do like the front porch. I would also liked to have seen some overhead shots to have a look at the overall layout of the build. Your landscaping feels a little basic, it might have helped to have some daylight shots. I'm not overly fond of that muddy driveway, it feels out of place with the rest of the build. The pool going into the house is a great idea, it's just a shame you didn't CASt the pool walls to help it blend in a little better. I do like the borders you have used on the interior walls in the downstairs areas, they really help to add interest. Some of your pictures are very dark which makes the judging process a little difficult, you might find adding some 'buydebug' lights would help with that. My favourite area is that kitchen, it is precisely what the brief asked for!

Optional Challenge: It would have been nice to find out more about Eve and Ruairi, but it looks like they are enjoying their new home.

So, here are the results:

3rd Place: VannaRed

Joint 2nd Place: MrzNSmith & xSamanthanicolex

1st Place: gmcrozier (you may want to think about entering as advanced for the next challenge ;) )

And the winner of the optional challenge is: VannaRed

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Lebanna wrote:

Thank you.. I feel like its by default though no one else entered lol.. Oh well feels nice winning. I guess am getting kinda good at this. I have been working on older B&S builds as practice and trying new things, it has been fun testing what I can do and succeeding as well quiet a confidence booster..

:mrgreen: So excited and proud!! Thank you very much..

Hihi it may have been by default, but your build was really good :) It's great you practice with old challenges, so smart! I have learned so much through these challenges!

• Options
    ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited May 2014
    A Distinctly Asian Theme pt 2 Intermediates

folala

When taking you pictures, watch out for the fishbowl effect. if you are trying to get a picture of a room in and cant get it all easily, try switching angles instead. I applaud your ability to curve walls. I havent gotten the hang of that one myself. However I have to say that for the most part it looked like a big black cube. I would recommend a more urban surrounding for a build like this. I would also suggest windows, wide or tall ones. The narrow slit ones you put in make the entire build feel claustrophobic. You have a lovely mezzanine but no view to appreciate it. I would also suggest that you continue the lovely front terraces around to the sides, so as to combate the current emptiness. You did a fabulous job with your MOO and object choices. I love the bars!

GMCrozier

Great architecture on this one. I love the 360 views you put together. It would be like eating outside even inside. I would suggest that when putting plants in a line, rotate each one in a different angle. It breaks up the cookie cutter effect. The raised beds were fabulous. But the sand garden needs some rocks or bamboo or other decoratons. Inside I like the shoji screen on the wall, but I think bringing it up onto the cieling was a little overdone. Perhaps simply carrying one of the wall colors up would fix it. Also, the straw color seems to be a bit out of place with the brightly colored palette you chose. Perhaps using it as an accent or using it as a majority color would solve that. I have to admit, I love the rooftop dining area. I can picture enjoying a spring evening with teh smell of cherry blossoms in the air as I nibble sushi.

SuzieQz420

I know Photobucket isnt the easiest thing to use, but if you can, please try to organize your pictures. It makes it easier for us to follow the progression that you took them, kind of like a virtual tour. Overall the first thing I thought was Hospital? Perhaps a mixture of texturing in natural tones and materials, or a few oriental touches like a fencing, or roof ornaments would help. I liek the patio fountain, but perhaps it takes up an awful lot of the patio. The landscaping was beautiful...I wish there had been a little more of it. The pond was gorgeous. Inside the palette seemed..conflicting. The patterns in reception didnt harmonize well with the rest of the building. Mixing palettes to define space is good, but they should tie in together. Like carrying the same colors through or matching patterns. Also, dont forget your CAS. Some items missed it. However I love your kitchen. So much space! Love it! I also dig the fish tank between the dining room and the kitchen.

Glen1974

When you're taking pictures, make sure you take them in live mode. Grid lines and cursers are a no no! Also, when doing the overhead floorplan please zoom in a bit closer so we can see the details a little easier. Your architecture was beautifully urban and the blend of colors and textures was very fitting for the build. Inside you made a gorgeous use of the palette. The balance of soothing tones and bright colors really fits the modern decor. Your object choice made clear that it was a Japanese restraunt without being overly cluttered. I like the sand garden inspired patio, but I wish you had used other outdoor tables instead of the picnic tables.

And without further ado, the winner is...

Glen1974!

The winner of the optional challenge is...

SuzieQz420!

Congrats guys!
  • Options
    glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2014
    Wow! Thanks so much! And for your feedback too, it means a lot. Hope to improve my photo taking skills next time around! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    A Distinctly Asian Theme pt 2 Intermediates

folala

When taking you pictures, watch out for the fishbowl effect. if you are trying to get a picture of a room in and cant get it all easily, try switching angles instead. I applaud your ability to curve walls. I havent gotten the hang of that one myself. However I have to say that for the most part it looked like a big black cube. I would recommend a more urban surrounding for a build like this. I would also suggest windows, wide or tall ones. The narrow slit ones you put in make the entire build feel claustrophobic. You have a lovely mezzanine but no view to appreciate it. I would also suggest that you continue the lovely front terraces around to the sides, so as to combate the current emptiness. You did a fabulous job with your MOO and object choices. I love the bars!

GMCrozier

Great architecture on this one. I love the 360 views you put together. It would be like eating outside even inside. I would suggest that when putting plants in a line, rotate each one in a different angle. It breaks up the cookie cutter effect. The raised beds were fabulous. But the sand garden needs some rocks or bamboo or other decoratons. Inside I like the shoji screen on the wall, but I think bringing it up onto the cieling was a little overdone. Perhaps simply carrying one of the wall colors up would fix it. Also, the straw color seems to be a bit out of place with the brightly colored palette you chose. Perhaps using it as an accent or using it as a majority color would solve that. I have to admit, I love the rooftop dining area. I can picture enjoying a spring evening with teh smell of cherry blossoms in the air as I nibble sushi.

SuzieQz420

I know Photobucket isnt the easiest thing to use, but if you can, please try to organize your pictures. It makes it easier for us to follow the progression that you took them, kind of like a virtual tour. Overall the first thing I thought was Hospital? Perhaps a mixture of texturing in natural tones and materials, or a few oriental touches like a fencing, or roof ornaments would help. I liek the patio fountain, but perhaps it takes up an awful lot of the patio. The landscaping was beautiful...I wish there had been a little more of it. The pond was gorgeous. Inside the palette seemed..conflicting. The patterns in reception didnt harmonize well with the rest of the building. Mixing palettes to define space is good, but they should tie in together. Like carrying the same colors through or matching patterns. Also, dont forget your CAS. Some items missed it. However I love your kitchen. So much space! Love it! I also dig the fish tank between the dining room and the kitchen.

Glen1974

When you're taking pictures, make sure you take them in live mode. Grid lines and cursers are a no no! Also, when doing the overhead floorplan please zoom in a bit closer so we can see the details a little easier. Your architecture was beautifully urban and the blend of colors and textures was very fitting for the build. Inside you made a gorgeous use of the palette. The balance of soothing tones and bright colors really fits the modern decor. Your object choice made clear that it was a Japanese restraunt without being overly cluttered. I like the sand garden inspired patio, but I wish you had used other outdoor tables instead of the picnic tables.

And without further ado, the winner is...

Glen1974!

The winner of the optional challenge is...

SuzieQz420!

Congrats guys!

Are there beginner results somewhere and I missed them? =) Jess
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Beginner results A Distinctly Asian Theme pt 2

*dducknbelle*
    Lovely fountains indoors and the seating around would give the Sims a lovely view. The location of the lot you have chosen gives a great outdoors view too! Love that you made different kind of areas. I do have a few suggestions. The colours palette you choose could work really well, but since the colours are a bit bold, it would have been better to have picked a more sereen pattern to balance it out. Or take a base colour, like the white, and use the green and orange as accent colours. That way it’s a little less overwhelming. I think that the furniture you have chosen is very fitting for the theme. And the booths are placed great too. The teppanyaki grill is nicely placed too, so the visitors can enjoy the show. Overall I think the build is good, but try to choose between a busy pattern or a bold colour. Looking forward to your next build!

And the winner is!

dducknbelle!

Congratulations!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Beginner results A Distinctly Asian Theme pt 2

*dducknbelle*
    Lovely fountains indoors and the seating around would give the Sims a lovely view. The location of the lot you have chosen gives a great outdoors view too! Love that you made different kind of areas. I do have a few suggestions. The colours palette you choose could work really well, but since the colours are a bit bold, it would have been better to have picked a more sereen pattern to balance it out. Or take a base colour, like the white, and use the green and orange as accent colours. That way it’s a little less overwhelming. I think that the furniture you have chosen is very fitting for the theme. And the booths are placed great too. The teppanyaki grill is nicely placed too, so the visitors can enjoy the show. Overall I think the build is good, but try to choose between a busy pattern or a bold colour. Looking forward to your next build!

And the winner is!

dducknbelle!

Congratulations!

Haha, I win by default again.. awesome! it was fun and very bold I agree. I promise to tone it down next time lol.. Thanks again for all the feedback and such a fun place to be!

=) Jess
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    haha Woohoo on winning! by default or otherwise ;)

I didn't want to 'bring you down' with the bold colours. But they sure are difficult to use without them getting overbearing. Hope my feedback helped with that. But your build sure was fun to look at! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top