Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE 150 "RETURNING HOME"

iampes23

What a fun build! I like the way you cantilevered the second story out to create a covered outdoor area and left optional space over the garage for a future add-on. That was smart. The clerestory windows on top are architecturally appealing, and I liked the way you tucked the trashcan behind that little half wall. Inside, I wish you would have used a little less of the rustic wood and brick. It became overwhelming and competed with things that otherwise could have shined, like that fun, geeky wallpaper in the entry. I like that you have a 1/2 bath on the ground floor near the garage and the outdoor area, so guests don't have to go all the way upstairs to do their business. Squeezing a laundry room in there will come in handy for Blake. Maybe when he works on his car, he'll manage to drop his dirty clothes in the washer and not on the floor! I would have liked to see different object choices in Blake's bedroom. The mirror and wall art felt too glamorous and not in harmony with the rustic/industrial feel in the rest of the house. I loved the floor grates in the garage - those will be helpful for all the oil leaks, waxing, and painting Blake will encounter. I really enjoyed learning about Blake and Sport, and they look like they're enjoying the home you built!

folala
    I really enjoyed the architecture in this build. You made great choices in your exterior paint, layering different textures and patterns. The subtle color gradation in the stone siding really says modern. Your landscaping and terrain paints blend so well with the surrounding desert. You were missing a few walls just under your roof line on a few sides but not all of them, so I wasn't sure if that was intentional. Inside, I liked the way you exposed the red brick without overdoing it. I wish the wallpaper in the dining area had been the same on all three wall tiles. It looked like you were trying to go for a gradation, but the colors didn't complement each other within that particular pattern. I did, however, love the way you put the support beams between the dining area and the living room to create a "wall" without losing any of the openness or the view. Nice use of clutter and geeky touches. I liked the way you used MOO on the artwork in the bathroom, turning 3 separate art pieces into one larger one. Also, the way you added towels to the coat rack in the bedroom to fill it in some more was a nice realistic touch. Great job!

Mederouin
    WOWZA! Your architecture is so modern and well done! I love the way you used wood with an orange tone to complement the masonry (and tie in the client's favorite color), and the orange pops in that geometric roof turned out great. Those front stairs are fantastic! They really look built-in and part of the whole structure. I didn't understand the purpose for the sign on the front. Was it supposed to be a welcome-home sign of sorts? Your use of terrain paint and sculpting is very nice, as is your landscaping. I wish the color scheme on the shelves in the entry foyer had been more cohesive, but I like the way they wrapped around the corner. The kitchen felt more retro than modern to me. I would've liked to see sleeker cabinetry and more modern tile choices. The bathroom layout is great with the shower and sink tucked into their own little nooks. I would have liked to see drapery that was less formal, but your use of bathroom clutter was nice. I like the way you framed the bed in the master bedroom with a focal wall. I just wish its pattern didn't compete with the patterns on the bed and the rug so much. The view in the study is gorgeous. That will be a nice work space for Blake. Good job using buydebug objects for clutter - just make sure you're using items that make sense. The tomb relic outside the bathroom and the buoy in the garage seemed out of place. The back deck is fabulous. Blake will love having access to it straight from his bedroom, too. I especially love the little covered spot in the corner where one could enjoy a nice breeze without baking in the sun. Well done!

AND THE WINNER IS...

MEDEROUIN!!!!!

Optional Challenge winner is iampes23! Great builds, all of you!
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited September 2014
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR #150 RETURNING HOME

masajo
    I think the sleek modern architecture of this build really fits the challenge, the exterior treatments help make that bold modernist statement. The landscaping is a little traditional when looking at the modernist style of the home, but it is well done. Your layout flows incredibly well and you have made some excellent object choices and have a fabulous eye for object placement. The pops of orange throughout the home, make it really unique to Blake and your palette blends throughout the entire home. I think you could have put more thought into the flooring of this home, it feels a little bland and unappealing, I am slightly confused over the choice of drain holes in the main bedroom and office. My favourite part of this place is that kitchen, so simple, yet well thought out and I just love the wall treatments you have used in there.

gmcrozier
    This is such a cute traditional build, the roofing is perfect as are the exterior treatments you have chosen. The landscaping is simple, yet blends incredibly well with the exterior style of the home. I do wonder if you could have CASt the garage doors to match the wooden textures used around the entry way though. The retro feel inside is fits the build like a glove, those pops of orange really help bring the place to life. Your layout is well thought out and really works. I am amazed at how much stuff you managed to fit into this home on the budget you were given! Great use of CASt throughout the interior and although the palette is not to my taste it works incredibly well given the style and feel of the build. It's a shame you didn't do much with the interior ceilings, they could have rally helped make this build stunning. My favourite area of your build is that large open plan living area with the kitchen and dining room, it feels so natural and I can just see Blake entertaining his car buddies in here.

ArikaB
    Wow, such a cute little build, the roof line really helps add interest! The exterior treatments you have chosen work really well to tie the build together as does the landscaping you have added, natural and not too fussy! Your interior layout feels like it will flow well in play, and I am awed at the palette you have chosen, using that slightly orange hue on the wooden furniture really helps the interior cohesion, as does using a similar interior wall treatment in some areas, genius! . Some really great choices of furniture and object placement. And I love all the little personal touches throughout the build. I think my favourite area in here has to be that garage, so many thoughtful little touches, and again some really great object choices.

Optional Challlenge: Blake certainly looks like he is enjoying his new home, did I see an alien baby?! The pictures really help show what sort of person you created the home for and they fit together perfectly.

And the winner is ArikaB for both the main challenge and the optional challenge

Congrats to all of you though, this was a very tight round to judge :wink:
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    Thank you very much Faith for your valuable feedback, all taken on board. I didn't actually realise they were drain holes lol I thought they were the design of the flooring, I really should look more closely :D

Many congrats ArikaB, another outstanding build of yours :D
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    Thank you FaithofKaela for your gracious feedback. I realized that I had forgotten the ceilings when I was taking the photos, but by that time the budget was gone and I didn't think that wood ceilings would look better then just the plain white. As far as the garage doors... I have no idea how I missed that.

Congrats ArikaB, yet another stunning build.
  • Options
    Thanks, you guys. :) And thank you, Faith, for the feedback. I had fun with that particular character, although the alien baby was very unexpected!
  • Options
    ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    BEGINNERS RESULTS FOR #150 RETURNING HOME

WndrBrnShp

The first thing I'm going to advise you about is to choose a site like Photobucket or a blog like Wordpress to showcase your pictures. I spent alot of time with Mediafire offering to download the pictures to my computer rather than just showing them to me. It was very annoying. Some of your screen shots seem, accidental or unconcious. Try to weed those out in favor of room shots that show a wider view of the rooms. If theres a particular detail you want to show us, feel free to also include those, but a shot of his head while he's standing in the bathroom doesnt help show how great the room is. If you want to include pictures of him living in the house, I would suggest making those the last picture shown. Also DONT forget an overhead shot of each level so that we can get an idea of where everything is in the house in relation to everything else.

I liked the idea of a 3 level small build. The large windows would make it seem spacious and open. but the 3 different colors and patterns on the walls made it look a bit like someone had bits of paint to use rather than a cohesive whole. Try painting your walls one color, or choose a contrast that can weave through all the levels and tie them together. Example: A stone foundation with one wall color on the upper two levels, then using the same (or similiar in color) stone pattern on windows and edges of corners. I do like how you worked in a balcony on the top floor. It would feel very much like being in a tree house.
    Dont neglect your landscaping. Your building footprint left alot of room for you to landscape. Curb appeal is very important, even in small tight budget builds. It looks like you went for a very modern feel in his house, with orange to break up the monotony of the black and white. Good call on the use of color, though I want to suggest perhaps changing parts of the carpet in CAS to break up the pure white of the flooring. In a small budget build, CAS is your best friend. The bedroom seemed a bit youthful in terms of clutter, but hey, I still have my old teddy bear from child hood so... Just watch for clashing patterns and colors (the curtains).
    Excellent use of skilling items. He seems to be having a blast and theres so much for him to learn!
    Alot of the suggestions that I've made here are very basic things. Once you get a handle on them I'm sure that we're going to see some really impressive things from you. If you're not sure how to apply some of teh suggestions I've made here, take a look at the winners in the Intermediate and Advanced Categories. I learned a great deal on my own by doing that.

And the winner is....WndrBrnShp!
    Dont let being the only entrant discourage you! Savor your victory! Congratulations!
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #151 CURTIS, DOUGLAS CURTIS... THE THIRD

☆ gmcrozier ☆
    The architecture of this build looks very modern, but the exterior feels a little bland, with just those little planters and the very white wall treatments. I wonder had you used some more colour or texture out here, whether it would have felt just a little more interesting. Your layout works really well, and you your object choice and placement are spot on for the brief. You have made great use of texture throughout the interior of the build, I especially like the ceiling treatments you have chosen, and the way you have patterned your wooden flooring. The palette you have used flows well throughout the build and really helps tie each individual room together as part of a whole. My favourite area of this place is that gorgeous office, it may not be the biggest, or most plush, but I feel it fits Douglas to a T.

Congrats on your win, don't let it being the only entry take the shine off, this was a really great build!
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #152 THE OLSENS

folala

Your exerior is so cute! The brickwork is true to style, but not overwhelming with the quinoing on the corners. The little touches of the fencing on the roof, the round window on the 2nd floor, and the symmetrical chimney stacks really add to the colonial charm. The roof looks a bit strange on the side elevations. A mansard roof might have achieved the look you were going for a bit better. The dormers were a lovely architectural feature, as was the side patio with the flowering pergola. You made great use of terrain paints and landscaping. I liked the curving nature of the terrain paints under the bushes along the perimeter of the lot. It felt very soft and natural. The inside sort of fell apart for me. I liked the navy and gray combo for tying the rooms together; I just wish the accent colors made more sense overall. The orange pops in the kitchen were high-contrast with the navy and modern. The green rug in the sitting room and the lime green tub in the 2nd bathroom, however, were out of place with the other colors in their respective rooms. I would have liked to see a more harmonious palette overall, and a more cohesive style. The dining chairs didn't actually seem out of place as their shape is very modern. The dining table, however, felt very formal, as did the wall treatments in the hallways and the living room. They clashed with the very modern, linear ceiling treatments. I would have liked to see some clutter in the garage, but the way you CASt the free wood floor to look like brick was a smart way to save funds. I really liked the platform in the master shower area; it divides the area nicely. I think Judy will love fleshing out that massive garden area with plants. Very cute build!

iampes23

I can tell you thought a lot about the future builds from the way you laid out the lot with that brick driveway. That was smart! I like the brick pattern you chose for the walkways and the house, although I wish there was something to break it up a bit. I particularly like the walkways in the garden area. Not only is it practical to have footpaths, but it divides the plantings nicely. The barn wood-shop area is cute, and I loved that you included Mr. Olsen's firetruck! I really wish you had used some sort of landscaping and terrain paints in the front to soften the stark lines of all that brick a bit. Inside, the interiors are all very country, rather than modern. The modern touches, like the powder room and the couches in the living room end up feeling very out of place. I did like the exposed brick in the kitchen, though, and that you included Mrs. Olsen's favorite color in your color choices. I liked the way you used carpet tiles in lieu of rugs to save on the cost. The built-ins were a nice touch around the fireplace in the parlor. I think my favorite part was Mrs. Olsen's office nook for grading papers. That was very thoughtful! Nice job!

mederouin

Colonial-style builds tend to be very boxy. You balanced that with the asymmetry of the outbuildings, the kitchen, and especially the rear roof lines. While the blue you chose for the exterior seemed a bit bright and saturated for a Colonial, I like the way you varied the exterior treatments. The front door you chose is perfect. I don't love the way the roof of the diagonal breezeway clips that first floor window, but Sims without their umbrellas will surely love the protection from the elements. Your landscaping and terrain paints are well done. You did a good job of trying to mesh modern and colonial styles with the interior furnishings you chose. Just be careful with your color choices. There are several different shades of blue going on in a few rooms (LR, Kitchen, Master Bedroom) that don't quite work together, and the greens in the spare bedroom rug clash with the shade on the striped wall. Also, be careful not to zoom out too much when taking pics; several shots had that fishbowl effect. Overall, you did a great job. It's a little detail, but my favorite part of the the build has to be the little covered area for the logs next to the wood shop. So cute!

AND THE WINNER IS...

MEDEROUIN!

Congratulations and well done, all of you!
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited October 2014
    Ooops, posted in the wrong account!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #152 - THE OLSENS'

☆ gmcrozier ☆
    This build certainly shouts colonial! The architecture is spot on and I like how you have used your wall treatments, roofing and that balcony to add interest. Your landscaping is simple, yet effective and I am taken with our use of terrain paints in this build, subtle, yet very realistic! I am really impressed with how you added so much glamour to this build, on such a tight budget, you have made some really excellent object choices and you use of the CASt system is awesome! Your layout and your palette help this build feel very cohesive I especially like how you have made those feature walls in the bedrooms, and your choice of ceiling tile is ingenious! My favourite part of this build is that little workshop area, so cosy, and with some great views for inspiring Don!

This was truly an exceptional build and thoroughly deserving of it's win! Congrats @gmcrozier
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #153 - THE OLSENS' PART 2

gmcrozier
    What a beautiful build, Glenn! I love how thoughtfully the additional houses are laid out with the greenhouse in between the two additional residences (keeping those parents separate!) and the way Leroy and Charlotte's home is turned for easy driveway access. Your landscaping and terrain paints work so well with the homes and make the lot feel like a tiny little neighborhood in and of itself. The reflection pool was a nice touch, and the trees that line it soften it and add visual interest. I particularly liked the exterior treatments you chose for Leroy and Charlotte's home. The interior looks more traditional than Arts & Crafts style, but the layout is wonderful. I love that you kept the den area upstairs open so Leroy can hear Charlotte call to him. It also allows for that dramatic 2-story view in the dining room and kitchen. I would have liked Vivian's home to have a little less brick on the exterior, as it felt a bit overwhelming, but I think you nailed the palette inside. The striped focal wall in the living room, the pale driftwood-esque wood tones, and the blue hues (especially in the bedroom) really say coastal. The palette in the bedroom is so soothing! I also really like the time you took on the wood floors in both homes, creating visual interest by varying the planks and parquet. Beautiful job and a well-deserved win!
  • Options
    Intermediate Results for Build n Share #153

Iampes23
    You really nailed the idea behind Victorian gardening. They are just lovely. My only really critique on that aspect of things is that the house looks overly large for the setting. It makes the gardens look squeezed in. The color combinations you chose were as bright as any could ask, but didn't seem to show the same playfulness that the colors did. Perhaps some of the rounded paneling or one with an intricate border? Victorian's loved detail and patterns. (Victorians are my favorite builds so I've done a lot of research.) Inside, you did great with the object choices, the patterns...but in some cases, like the hallway with the flower pattern, it seemed very dark. I know most Victorian designs do look heavy and dark, but this is the modern era and most people prefer a lighter feel to their home. It opens up the house and makes it look bigger and more welcoming. As a whole though, you did great. The interior looks like you just plucked up a home from the 1800s and dropped it in modern Sunset Valley (or wherever). It all ties together throughout the house, despite the almost overpowering wall patterns. the victorianThough the jester doll creeped the bejeezus out of me...

Folala

I have to say, this is one of the prettiest Victorians I've ever seen. You did an amazing job with your terrain. The veranda, the color palette, the observatory...all fabulous. I would have liked a little more statuary in the garden though. Inside though, some of your floors and cielings don't seem to harmonize with the walls. In other spots, like the kitchen, some of the furniture blends right into the walls so it seems like a blob of that color. Lighter tones and wood grains would help bring that about. Remember, in any house its the furniture and the art that's the star of the show. The walls are just background. Some spaces, like the upstairs hallway, definitely needed some artwork. Even against strong patterns, Victorians put up tons of art. I've seen pictures of rooms that were insanely cluttered with art. Also watch your colors. Some of the rooms seemed more like you picked colors at random, rather than deliberately choosing a palette. Check your MOO when using it. Make sure that things don't bleed in to one another (curtains into a sink for example.)

Wow you two made it hard to choose....but the winner is....

Folala!

Congrats!
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2014
    congrats Mederoin and mcgrozier
    ISHTARJMD wrote: »
    Intermediate Results for Build n Share #153<br />
    <br />
    Iampes23<br />
    You really nailed the idea behind Victorian gardening. They are just lovely. My only really critique on that aspect of things is that the house looks overly large for the setting. It makes the gardens look squeezed in. The color combinations you chose were as bright as any could ask, but didn't seem to show the same playfulness that the colors did. Perhaps some of the rounded paneling or one with an intricate border? Victorian's loved detail and patterns. (Victorians are my favorite builds so I've done a lot of research.) Inside, you did great with the object choices, the patterns...but in some cases, like the hallway with the flower pattern, it seemed very dark. I know most Victorian designs do look heavy and dark, but this is the modern era and most people prefer a lighter feel to their home. It opens up the house and makes it look bigger and more welcoming. As a whole though, you did great. The interior looks like you just plucked up a home from the 1800s and dropped it in modern Sunset Valley (or wherever). It all ties together throughout the house, despite the almost overpowering wall patterns. the victorianThough the jester doll creeped the bejeezus out of me...<br />
    <br />
    Folala<br />
    <br />
    I have to say, this is one of the prettiest Victorians I've ever seen. You did an amazing job with your terrain. The veranda, the color palette, the observatory...all fabulous. I would have liked a little more statuary in the garden though. Inside though, some of your floors and cielings don't seem to harmonize with the walls. In other spots, like the kitchen, some of the furniture blends right into the walls so it seems like a blob of that color. Lighter tones and wood grains would help bring that about. Remember, in any house its the furniture and the art that's the star of the show. The walls are just background. Some spaces, like the upstairs hallway, definitely needed some artwork. Even against strong patterns, Victorians put up tons of art. I've seen pictures of rooms that were insanely cluttered with art. Also watch your colors. Some of the rooms seemed more like you picked colors at random, rather than deliberately choosing a palette. Check your MOO when using it. Make sure that things don't bleed in to one another (curtains into a sink for example.)<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Wow you two made it hard to choose....but the winner is....<br />
    <br />
    Folala! <br />
    <br />
    Congrats!
    Congrats Folala!!

My only concern is that this was #154--intermediate for #153 was never posted. :D

• Options
    You're right Iampes. It is for 154! Sorry. See the next post for #153.
  • Options
    Intermediate results for #153 (the right #153) The Olsens

Iampes23
    I like the different shots of Don, Judy and Co enjoying their new homes. Both homes look very nice and inviting. Outside my biggest concern is that you tend to use actual flooring outside. The flooring could be replaced with terrain paints, leaving you more room in the budget for the actual build, fleshing out the little details. Inside the houses, you did great with object choices and your MOO was fabulous. However 2 things keep repeatedly standing out to me. 1) You tend to use very strong, very bold patterns. In larger areas that's fine, but in smaller areas like bathrooms, and some bedrooms, its overpowering. Break it up with wainscoting, or use the pattern as a border or even pale it out so its subtle and that will help keep it from feeling like its jumping off the wall. 2) The floor. You tend to use the same floor throughout the house even when it doesn't seem to work all that well with the walls. Example: That beautiful sewing room with the soft, feminine color scheme of white and pink....and a bright yellow floor. If you're doing an open floorplan and have a great big room with a lot of different areas in it, you definitely want something like that. But in different rooms, match the floors to the walls, so it all compliments and works together. If you can nail these two things, I think you'll find that the overall look of your build will be that much closer to perfection. If you need a good idea of what I mean, look at the advanced winners. That's what I did.

Mederouin

you did a great job making it look like one large estate rather than the multiple house lot. The way you tied everything together was lovely. I found no critiques in Leroy and Charlottes house. Everything was beautiful and well put together. In Vivian's home however, the décor was more modern than the coastal/eclectic than suggested. Otherwise it was as lovely as the rest of the lot. I honestly had a hard time coming up with any criticism. You should consider bumping up your entry to Advanced next contest.

And the winner is....

Mederouin! Congrats!
  • Options
    folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    congrats Mederoin and mcgrozier
    Congrats Folala!!
    Thanks very much @iampes23. :D I am super ridiculously excited!!!
    and thanks @ISHTARJMD for the feedback - I'll try to watch my colour palette more closely in future.
  • Options
    The color palette is where I always bog down in my builds. Layout? No problem. Furniture and accessories? Done! Color palette? ....check back with me an hour before deadline...
  • Options
    BEGINNER RESULTS FOR #154 A GHOSTLY DESIGN

NinjaPanda
    What a great job you did capturing the Victorian architectural style! The 3-story bay window and wrap-around porch are spot on. I like the way you used the worn-looking siding and big willow tree in front to give it a spooky feeling. Your layout looks nice and playable. I really wish you had taken more pictures, so I could see the details of the furnishings and wall/floor treatments you chose. A good rule of thumb is to take 3-4 pictures of each room with the walls up from a Sim's eye view (rather than top down aerial views only). See this guide for more information on showcasing your build and how to use the camera: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604997.page. I would have liked to see more clutter with an unlimited budget, but overall your build is lovely. That beautiful garden is my absolute favorite! Well done!

630Leosa
    What a spooky build! I love that you included a little cemetery and added a fog emitter to really make it creepy! Although your furnishings are spot-on for a Victorian home, the home itself doesn't resemble Victorian architecture except for that one bay window over the door by the cemetery. Searching for images of specific styles of houses or even looking at websites for free house plans is a great way to learn more about the nuances of a particular style. I like the little details you added with the ivy climbing the exterior walls, the gazebo, the garden, and the fireplace in the bathroom - I want one of those in *my* house! Try to make sure when you're taking photos of your build, that you keep the walls up so judges can see your wall treatments and art. See this guide for more information on showcasing your build and how to use the camera: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/604997.page. Overall, you did a great job! I hope to see more of your builds in the future!

And the winner is...

NinjaPanda!

And the winner of the optional challenge is 630Leosa!

CONGRATULATIONS!

• Options
    ]ADVANCED RESULTS FOR #154 A GHOSTLY DESIGN

☆ ArikaB ☆
    This home is so full of character, the exterior screams Victorian, and you did a great job with those mansard style roofs. Your layout was incredibly well thought out and flows really well. I think you did a fantastic job with CFE in this home to get those lovely double height ceilings working so well. The way you have put those ‘open’ doors into the music room is such an ingenious idea! You have made great use of MOO and your palette choices really help this build feel incredibly cohesive. I love the addition of the family crypt, such a cool idea.

Suggestions: My one suggestion is in that gorgeous dining room, the patterns feel a little too over the top, I think had you used a more plain wall treatment on that CFE part of the wall, it would have felt less overpowering.

☆ gmcrozier ☆
    This is such a lovely Victorian style build, the wall treatments make it feel so light and airy. You have done a great job with the roof lines. The landscaping feels a little busy to me, I think some plain dirt areas around those planter beds might have helped it feel more natural. Your layout works well and I can see that it would translate well into play. Your palette works well throughout the build and really helps the build feel cohesive. the basement is a great addition, I can see Mr Green whiling away his hours down there.

Suggestions: I think considering the unlimited budget, you could have chosen more quality pieces of furniture to really help the build feel olde world. Some of your rooms feel incredibly dark, maybe a lighter wood in places would have helped it feel less oppressive.

The winner is...

ArikaB

ArikaB - you also win the optional challenge, it was lovely to see Mr Green enjoying his new home :)
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR #155 NET WORTH

gmcrozier
    What a great build! You really made the warehouse look like it's always been there, with all the overgrown landscaping, the graffiti, piles of junk, and the old car. I love that you fenced it all in and put security gates in - very smart! I like the delivery truck and the vending machines in the storage area. You made great use of CASt, using industrial metals on all sort of things, like the desks in the computer lab and the screen behind the TV in the common area. I love that the common area looks out over the storage area - great for keeping an eye on things. Red was a great choice for the common room. It's a really bold color that is easy to overdo, but you balanced it well with all the cool metallics. I wish the guys' bedrooms and bathroom would've had a more masculine feel to them, but I did really like your use of MOO in the bathroom as well as the platform in the shower/tub area. Nice job softening all the corrugated metal with drapery in Mara's room. The raised platform bed area is probably my favorite part of her space, although the way you used a wall shelf down low in the shower as a bench is pretty creative, too. My only real criticism is that the whole thing is really dark. Try to make sure when you're taking pictures that you turn on all of your lights first. It makes it a lot easier to see all of your hard work. Great job!

AND THE WINNER IS...

gmcrozier!

Congrats on your win!
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #155 NET WORTH

630Leosa
    This was a difficult build to judge, because it was very dark, and with the walls down in most of the pictures, it's impossible to see wall treatments and any paintings/wall objects you chose. Read the screenshot tips at the end of this post and then play around with the camera controls so you can really showcase your future builds. I did really like the way the second floor overlooks the first floor so it's easier to keep an eye on the storage area - that was smart. The delivery truck and motorcycle were nice touches in the garage that fit the clients well. I do wish you had included some landscaping and terrain paints and had more objects overall with such a big budget. The outdoor area with the fire pit was great, though. I can just see the three of them sitting around the fire after a heist!

folala
    What a fantastic industrial build! You clearly put a lot of thought and time into it. The 2-story sunken windows in front are architecturally appealing as are the roof treatments. The graffiti is a nice touch, as are the fire escapes - very practical, since criminal types need multiple escape routes! I wish the garage area with the clear doors wasn't so close to the fence. It would be impossible to actually get a vehicle in and out. However, your loading bay area is AWESOME. I love the raised deck and the way you made lanes for the trucks. Inside, you made so many great object choices. I loved all the duct work, the floor and wall vents, the lights on long chains in that open 2-story area, and all of the little touches in the computer lab especially. I liked the platform area in Kurai's bedroom, and that phone booth shower is so random but definitely works with the industrial, eclectic vibe. Great use of MOO with the "acquired" artwork in the storage area and with the island in the kitchen. I would have liked it better if you had stuck with just one brick pattern. The different patterns clashed in Malik's bathroom, Mara's bedroom, and between the exterior walls and foundations. One pattern would have been more cohesive. Also, watch out for the fishbowl effect in your pics. The aerial ones were very distorted and hard to understand. If you zoom out a little farther in Live mode and *then* go into camera mode, you can fit it all in the frame without distortion. Overall, though, you did a wonderful job. The computer lab and the loading zones are my favorite!

iampes23
    What a fun build! The pond and landscaping are complementary to the surrounding town, helping the warehouse blend. The driveway looks like it would be tough to navigate with a heavy delivery truck. I do like the way you fenced in the outdoor area and added solar panels to the roof - criminals like being off-grid! You did a great job with the layout of the entire building. When you have a square building like a warehouse, it's really easy to want to build boxy rooms. Your build has an interesting flow that breaks up the boxy-ness nicely. The open part of the 3rd floor is a nice touch. You made great choices for flooring and wall treatments. It's very cohesive throughout. The statement wall in Malik's bedroom is very fun and fits with his personal aesthetic. There were a few things that didn't fit with the industrial/modern theme, like the country 1st floor arch and the closet doors in Kurai's room, but overall your objects choices showed a lot of thought about the characters. I loved the secret storage room! You always do such a great job labeling your photos. It's fun to read through your thought processes and how you imagined the characters. Well done!

mederouin
    The exterior architecture on this build is very eye-catching! It's very modern with those bold columns that continue into the perimeter of the roof, and very industrial with the brick and concrete wall treatments. The landscaping looks a bit overgrown, which adds to the feeling that this building has always been here. I love the way you thought about a "cover" story, with a legit storefront business and Rebecca as the secretary. The lobby and boardroom definitely give the feel of a real business. I also liked that you thought about the drivers' comfort and added a crash room for them. Your color palettes need a bit of fine-tuning in a few places, like Malik's room and the computer lab, but I do like the way you incorporated the exterior brickwork on some of the interior walls. The storage rooms were a thoughtful touch. Watch out for that fishbowl effect on your pics - a lot of them were distorted, which is distracting from all of your hard work. Nice use of CASt and MOO, especially in the living room and kitchen. I think those are my favorite spaces. I really liked the furniture you chose and the subtle pops of red in the wallpaper that echo the couches. Great job!

AND THE WINNER IS...

folala!

Optional challenge winner is iampes23!

Congratulations!
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #156 THE GAME'S AFOOT

gmcrozier
    This build has a good flow with the layout. Having the living quarters raised a full level allows Mr. Wu to have a better view of any danger that might be lurking. Love the front porch! The privacy fence was smart, and it was nice how you used a shorter fence to take advantage of the gorgeous waterfront views for anyone in the hot tub. While I think your interior palettes need a little more fine tuning (the bright gray-white of all that kitchen tile is jarring next to the creamy warm tones in the LR & DR), I really liked the CASt choices you made in the master bedroom - very masculine. That ground floor work-out room gives him plenty of space to practice all sorts of different martial arts moves and dance steps. Nice job!

AND THE WINNER IS...

gmcrozier! Congratulations!
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #157 REUSE AND RECYCLE

gmcrozier
    The way you staggered the containers keeps the house from feeling too boxy, and also creates a nice entryway and private patio area. Your landscaping and use of terrain paints are nice. I like how you continued the monorail fencing from the pergolas around the roof line - good continuity. There were too many wood patterns/wood colors happening to be cohesive, especially next to textured paint. It ends up feeling busy. I did really like the detail in the wood floor in the LR & DR, though. The palettes could be a bit more sophisticated, but I liked the complementary blue/purple combo in the front bedroom and your use of focal walls. Your layout has a nice flow to it - very open, which keeps it from feeling small and cramped. I think the back patio area is my favorite part. Well done!

aricarai
    What a great build! The asymmetry of the cantilevers and the bold, contrasting exterior colors are really eye-catching. Great use of landscaping and terrain paints. I like the bricked columns you used in the entry way for subtle architectural interest. Your main floor color palette has a nice, cohesive flow throughout. Loved your use of MOO with the under-the-stairs cabinets in the dining room, the wall art in the master bedroom, and the shelving in both the kitchen and bathroom. The hobby room felt a bit dark and heavy to me, but I liked what you were trying to do with the color blocking across the walls, floor, and ceiling. I would have liked to see the exposed flooring edge on the exterior elevations CASt to match the exterior wall coverings. The only other thing I would have liked was an aerial view of the layout of the finished build. The outdoor pool area is gorgeous and my favorite part of your build. I love that you managed to get a small pool out there, and the raised sun deck echoes the modern, multi-leveled feel of the house. Great job!

AND THE WINNER IS....

ARICARAI!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Options
    Intermediate Results for #157 Reuse and Recycle

PurpleLotus
    You've put together a lovely, modern look for your build. The color scheme is an excellent choice nad fits the build perfectly. I love hte upstairs bedrooms. There was total squee factor in the nursery and the Master Bedroom was very soothing, if a little heavy on purple. The Terraces are absolutely my favorite part of this build. However, I do have some notes for you. All your decorative objects were upstairs. Spread them out throughout the build. And don't neglect little ones, like TP in the bathrooms.
    The family looked pretty happy in their new home.

Iampes23
    When taking your pictures, watch out for your curser. You didn't quite have it hidden all the way. :) You did a nice job on your landscaping. I really dug how you explained the different ways things were recycled and how you worked in the appropriate patterns. Very nicely done. Its added up to a very swanky and eclectic design. Keep an eye on your patterns though. The pattern in the kids room was overwhelming.
    I had a blast reading about Stiles and Annalee. I was hoping that you had a second episode!

Meredouin
    Your layout was one that Frank Lloyd Wright would be proud off. Fabulous job on the landscaping and outdoor choices. I like how you exploited the metal look. Inside you did a fabulous job with the eclectic colors and helping everything feel harmonious and staged at the same time. The only thing I can suggest is moving up to Advanced.

Folala
    You have a charming build here with a bright cheerful exterior. You did a good job with your landscaping and outdoor spaces. I like how you exploited the metal look. Inside the home was very bright, but not overwhelmingly so. Instead its very inviting and very...Carribean feeling to me. And the way you used the wood in different spots throughout on the walls was a nice tie in to keep everything feeling like a whole. My only notes: Watch out for your build grids! You know better! And look out for your windows. In the kitchen you have a cupboard covering a window.

Second Place goes to Folala!

First place goes to Meredouin!

Optional challenge goes to Iampes23!

Congrats guys!
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #158 A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

PurpleLotus93
    Your exterior color scheme works very well together, and the landscaping and terrain paints you used are both complementary and soft, keeping the exterior from being overly formal. You have a good flow through the main floor rooms. The living room looks very inviting! The kitchen could use some more clutter and a sink. ;) Nice use of texture contrast on the walls in the study; the geometric pattern of the brick is complemented by the graphic print on the rug, without being overwhelming. I found the textures on the walls and carpeting in Arthur's room a bit jarring next to each other, but I liked the masculine shades of green you chose. Harold's nursery is very cute, and he certainly seems to be enjoying it! You did a great job of incorporating his favorite color without the color scheme feeling blah. Oscar's room is very whimsical and bright - love the mural! I'm sure he and Reginald will love the little gamer area outside their rooms. The outdoor spaces are very inviting and flow well from one area to the next. Watch your zoom when in camera mode. So many of your shots were distorted and difficult to see because you zoomed out so much once in camera mode. Try zooming out more before switching into camera mode, and that will help eliminate distortions so your build will really shine through your pics. Even though you were the only entrant this time, your win is well-deserved. Great job!

AND THE WINNER IS...PURPLELOTUS93! CONGRATULATIONS!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top