Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed about the new bohemian garden set

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2014
    GC! TT3 is texture tweaker 3 http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?board=41.0

i could see if you are building a mod free build you probably couldnt use. but if you ever do osmp or custom patterns build i could see this being acceptable. or if nothing else you could tweak items for yourself :)

im playing around with the wedding arch and tulips with TT3 if i get any good results ill post in lydiad206's flower thread

halle so glad, and i too was sadden by the lower end computer comment - boy if there is ever a time i hope EA misspoke :) but if i cant have 64 bit platform then i for sure will need directx 11

and since im in complete agreement with karritz and Cinderellimouse ill make this my last posting in this thread with this final statement - im not ashamed by any of my store purchasing choices and still think if you dont like something and you still buy it then youve sent the wrong message - EA like any other company responds to the bottom line. i cant control others but i can always vote with my wallet.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    and since im in complete agreement with karritz and Cinderellimouse ill make this my last posting in this thread with this final statement - im not ashamed by any of my store purchasing choices and still think if you dont like something and you still buy it then youve sent the wrong message - EA like any other company responds to the bottom line. i cant control others but i can always vote with my wallet.

:thumbup: Great choice ...anything to keep the peace I wouldn't want anyone getting mad or upset about something this minor ...like the product or don't like it whatever..nothing at all to take personal or hold a grudge to E.A ..the store team or other ppl on the Forum ...yes I think it's best to just let this one go because it's doing more harm then good ...things are getting a bit out of hand and allowing words on a screen to effect your life outside the computer I hope everyone is ok.....and you can never judge a book by it's cover you must read it to form an opinion...just like u must buy a product and examine it for a min to form an opinion negative or positive...just because I may NOT like one or two things I can still love the game as a whole I love the sims been a fan day one been playing since sims online and will continue to play ...

like coke products or what have you ..u may not like one flavor but u like another I'm sure u wouldn't ban the whole coke company because one kind...just because u don't like that flavor I'm sure million of others would.. so I SAY THAT BECAUSE YOU STATED TO BUY SOMETHING WOULD SEND THE WRONG MESSAGE... what message? I'm so lost on this forum I didn't know SOMEONE was trying to knock E.A out of business..I buy sooo many games from E.A not only sims I don't have to like everything... I'm done unless a comment is made directly to me and HUGS AND KISSES to all ...I didn't know anyone was taking things personal I AM SO SORRY AND STILL A BIT CONFUSED... :shock:
    <take care> :):):)
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited March 2014
    I bought the Grandpa's Grove set today and I'm really pleased with the items. The tractor animations are really cute and the detailing on certain things, like the rug, is just superb. However, upon closer inspection of the flower in a vase (which is just darling), I noticed that the flowers from the side are just two-dimensional paper cutouts.
    Thumbnail_200x200.png
    Maybe this is just the new normal? I mean, when you contrast this with the narcissus in a vase from the base game, the difference is striking. Maybe they just decided at some point to cut corners or use interns or contract freelance work for things like this. I don't know. I just know that things which used to be 3-D are now 2-D. :|

Maybe I'm just expecting too much of the Store; I'm expecting them to keep pace with things they've produced in the past, and they're just unwilling or unable to continue maintaining that level of detailing.
  • Options
    NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Well done guys. :?

So we can expect more of that low quality stuff and false advertisement which you love so much.

I almost spat out my coffee when I saw that tweet and first I thought it was just a joke. I mean, come on, there are some amazing sets in the store but I would never include this one into that bunch. The chair, ottoman and lanterns are not enough to raise the set that high.

Unfortunately it is all the blind cheerleading that keeps the quality level low. It's okay to like or even love the things EA produces and it's okay to not like them but when there's absolutely no constructive and/or negative feedback... well, this is the result and what we get... and what we keep getting. :(

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    I almost spat out my coffee when I saw that tweet and first I thought it was just a joke. I mean, come on, there are some amazing sets in the store but I would never include this one into that bunch. The chair, ottoman and lanterns are not enough to raise the set that high.

THE FREE MARKET HAS SPOKEN! With that kind of monetary validation, we'll probably have a whole garden full of Lego flowers soon. :thumbup:

Honestly, the Indian and Cambodian sets are, to my eye anyway, filled with some of the most intricate, brilliant work the Store designers have ever come up with. Whether you appreciate the style itself or not, the attention to detail is admirable. Any guesses as to how well they sold? lol :P

Obviously, there's a market for that simplified, plastic-y look...I mean, there's a famous "artist" (whose name I won't mention, lest feelings get hurt) whose work is so cutesy it puts me into an instant diabetic coma when I look at it for three seconds, but it sells in malls everywhere as if it were a chocolate-covered unicorn Jesus.

Personally, I'm just going to assume the set sold well because people were dying for blueberries in their game, and not because the Store cut corners on flower design and produced the Lego flowers of everyone's dreams...

Okay, I have one more thing to add: the Store flowers should have looked as good as the CC tulips you posted, Navazzah. That is all.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited March 2014
    Maybe I haven't played it enough but I think its a beautiful set. I love Bohemian stuff and like the fact that the flowers are recolorable. They do look different from the other flowers, but I still like them.

I agree about the recipes, and if they are meant to be used with an upcoming set well that's just more EA's greedy marketing. Yes, you have to buy two sets to use the new special features.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    Honestly, the Indian and Cambodian sets are, to my eye anyway, filled with some of the most intricate, brilliant work the Store designers have ever come up with. Whether you appreciate the style itself or not, the attention to detail is admirable. Any guesses as to how well they sold? lol :P

I actually have the Mughal window from the India set and I love it because when recolored, it suits many different build styles. I've been eyeing at the Chicken Coop for awhile now. Many (outside the official forum) say it's actually really good, so I might consider buying it if it comes on sale or in the daily deal. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    Many (outside the official forum) say it's actually really good, so I might consider buying it if it comes on sale or in the daily deal. :)

I don't have one single gripe about the chicken coop. It's perfect. :-)
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2014
    I assume the set has been successful in spite of the weird tulip leaves, not because of them.

I do not assume that a guru publically declaring a set a success means that is necessarily how it is being viewed internally, or that they have not learned any lessons from it. We can't infer anything like that because we don't know how sincere the post is and we don't know exactly what is means by 'success'. It may mean it has sold well on initial release;it may mean it's the team's personal favourite; it may mean a record number of people have expressed strong approval of the set (on the forums, twitter, etc.); it may be an attempt to generate revenue-boosting positivity and confidence; it may mean the poster is particularly proud of overcoming whatever technical issues pushed back the release day and wants to congratulate his colleagues on getting past these difficulties.

That said, I think this set probably has sold well so far. I agree that the Cambodia and India sets are absolutely stunning, especially the second India set, but I think their themes may appeal to fewer people. I love using CASt to create unexpected furniture combinations, so these sets are perfect for my eclectic houses, but not everyone does, and certainly not everyone who likes to keep pieces from sets altogether is playing in Indian or Cambodian builds. The theme of this bohemian set, on the other hand, has massively popular appeal, and many people (including myself, from what I've seen) think that with the exception of the tuplis leaves and the flowers on the wedding arch, this set is beautifully detailed.

I think it's also the kind of set that is easy to sell immediately. The Indian and Cambodian sets are the sort of thing you are more likely to be the sort of thing you pick up later when you are building something for which they would work well. The bohemian set is the sort of thing that you are more likely to know straight off whether it will suit your way of playing or not. Add to that the hype-producing delay and the misleading store descriptions, and you have all the ingredients for high initial sales that are likely to drop down to a more average level over time. The store marketing team will understand all this, and I don't think anyone at EA will be thinking that underdetailed 2D designs on two small items are what has brought about the 'success' of this set.

I think it is obvious from the posts on these forums that, while some may not mind or even like the tulips, they are no one's favourite part of the set, and as I've said before I imagine that will be reflected in which items perform best in individual sales.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    GC! TT3 is texture tweaker 3 http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?board=41.0

i could see if you are building a mod free build you probably couldnt use. but if you ever do osmp or custom patterns build i could see this being acceptable. or if nothing else you could tweak items for yourself :)

im playing around with the wedding arch and tulips with TT3 if i get any good results ill post in lydiad206's flower thread

I'm excited to see! I'll look out for the flower thread :-)

Yeh, I don't use OMSP though the most recent one where you can resize stuff looks AMAZING!! I don't think TT3 is something I'd be able to use for my builds, but thank you for the link. It might be fun to fiddle around with though just to see what I can manage. I like learning new things :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited March 2014
    I think it sold well because it had the beautiful hanging chair, new harvestables, and recolorable flowers. The pavillion and puff chairs helped too. ;D More harvestables and recolorable flowers have been requested many times over the years, so I am not surprised it did so well.

I don't think it sold well because of the tulips and buttercups, but because of the other items. It seems all too common for most of us to usually dislike at least a couple pieces of a set while liking/loving more of it, so I am also not surprised that people bought it even though they did not like the tulips and buttercups. I may not like all the Jelly Belly flavors in the package, but I'll still buy the whole package for the ones I do. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I may not like all the Jelly Belly flavors in the package, but I'll still buy the whole package for the ones I do. :mrgreen:

You need these :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    dp :oops:
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

So we can expect more of that low quality stuff and false advertisement which you love so much.

Unfortunately it is all the blind cheerleading that keeps the quality level low. It's okay to like or even love the things EA produces and it's okay to not like them but when there's absolutely no constructive and/or negative feedback... well, this is the result and what we get... and what we keep getting. :(

Can I hug you? Your last paragraph is so on point! I don't care who likes what, when something is displeasing to my eyes and I am spending my money, you better bet your dollar I will speak up if I think the stuff is low quality and mediocre. Some sets are very useful and some look really well made. Then the Bohemian set comes with some good looking stuff, but the flowers are not one of them. Maybe I am spoiled after seeing better looking stuff made by the community creators. Didn't expect EA, which charges for their DLC, would stoop to this level. Shame.

I really wish there was a like button for this site. Thank you for your response.

EDIT: I am keeping my eyes looking for a change in the color channels on the egg chair by the CC community. I find the decision to have a pillow share the same channel as the shell of the chairs quite off-putting too.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2014
    blewis823 wrote:
    Navazzah wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

Can I hug you? Your last paragraph is so on point! I don't care who likes what, when something is displeasing to my eyes and I am spending my money, you better bet your dollar I will speak up if I think the stuff is low quality and mediocre. Some sets are very useful and some look really well made. Then the Bohemian set comes with some good looking stuff, but the flowers are not one of them. Maybe I am spoiled after seeing better looking stuff made by the community creators. Didn't expect EA, which charges for their DLC, would stoop to this level. Shame.

I really wish there was a like button for this site. Thank you for your response.

:thumbup: <<~~~~I couldn't help myself....also @Halle_M..I'm so sorry you are just now seeing that :( you are so right ...wow amazing :( and lastly ...I WANT THE "LIKE" BUTTON that would be awesome @blewis823
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    blewis823 wrote:
    Didn't expect EA, which charges for their DLC, would stoop to this level. Shame.

I am aghast that those CC tulips look more as if they belong in the game than EA's own version. What....just, what? :shock:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    blewis823 wrote:

You're welcome. And yes, I would also like to have a like button. :-)
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited March 2014
    blewis823 wrote:
    Navazzah wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:

EDIT: I am keeping my eyes looking for a change in the color channels on the egg chair by the CC community. I find the decision to have a pillow share the same channel as the shell of the chairs quite off-putting too.

This is my opinion too. The cheerleading over mediocrity in this section is to blame. After all, if people are satisfied, even thrilled with sub-standard releases, then why should the store bother to try to really impress?
    The designers are capable of some terrific things. The Indian sets are stunning, the Victorian sets are stunning, Circus and magic sets - brilliant.
    Blocky, plastic flowers and harvestables billed as PC content that you can't do anything with that is different from the norm are not.

If people like the stuff, then fine, everyone had their own opinion, but there are some in this section that fly into a blind panic the moment someone points out that something from the store is of low quality, and that doesn't help one bit.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Pary wrote:
    This is my opinion too. The cheerleading over mediocrity in this section is to blame. After all, if people are satisfied, even thrilled with sub-standard releases, then why should the store bother to try to really impress?

The problem is that we sometimes only realize something is substandard once we've been able to get a proper look at it in-game. By then, it's too late. If they had to issue refunds, they'd probably take more care to produce items that function correctly. I'm STILL mad about the fountains I've bought from them that have no animations.

And yet, I do still continue to purchase things from them, so shame on me. I have slowed WAY down, though. I used to spend $30-$40 every month; I just bought $10 worth of simpoints yesterday for the first time in SEVEN months. The Store has made some truly incredible things, and I am a HUGE fan of so many of them. But if they're going to charge twice the price that things in an expansion pack cost, then those things should be of supreme quality.

EA has also been known to engage in some very deceptive staging of their products. How many of us have been fooled by some clever little vignette they concocted that implied gameplay or functionality that was impossible?

So, yeah, cheerleading over mediocrity is a problem, but it's only part of the problem.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited March 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    The Store has made some truly incredible things, and I am a HUGE fan of so many of them. But if they're going to charge twice the price that things in an expansion pack cost, then those things should be of supreme quality.

Yes, they should.
    Not all items in the store need a proper look in game to tell whether they're not the Store's best work. Fountains are different - we never get to see them working.
    If people kicked up enough of a fuss about paying top-dollar for items that are clearly not up to standard, bought already or not, then perhaps there would be less of them. In an ideal world, people would simply stop buying until they stopped, or took more care, but, they don't. That is a very sad thing.

I don't know how many times I've seen on this board people defending EA for their shady business practises, their half-truths, and broken content. I find it astonishing that people think paying for broken items, and then continuing to defend the company that releases them, is okay.

I occasionally buy from the store still. Because a few things dissatisfy me, does not mean that everything does. But, since EA are not doing me a favour, nor are they "spoiling" me by releasing products that I have to pay money for if I want them, then when I feel they're not up to standard, I will express that dissatisfaction, and so should others who feel same.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Pary wrote:
    If people kicked up enough of a fuss about paying top-dollar for items that are clearly not up to standard, bought already or not, then perhaps there would be less of them. In an ideal world, people would simply stop buying until they stopped, or took more care, but, they don't. That is a very sad thing.

I should kick up a fuss about the Bistro set. Day in, day out, chefs quitting and new ones being rehired. It makes my game lag and it annoys me to the point that I no longer use it. Goodbye, $20 worth of simpoints...
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2014
    i truly meant to end posting here - for one i dont like those flowers either! :) but i do find some of the arguments just because few flowers are poorly designed to be unbalanced - there are items in the set well done and highly sought after.

i also get folks want recipes to be included with the new harvestables - i do as well. but i also dont understand why its hard as a consumer to decide if you want then without new recipes or not.

but what has truly prompted me to post again is i think it is unkind to make the statement, "The cheerleading over mediocrity in this section is to blame."

its not simmers making bad store objects its EA. but just as important whether something is good or bad is ultimately subjective. its not for me tell another they are wrong for liking something and its not for anyone else to decide how i should spend my own money.

what i find further unkind is what looks like to me as some trying to shame people because their likes, opinions and purchasing choices do not aligned with yours. (not to mention the fact that for some that are ridiculing others for buying the set have the set listed on their wishlist)

i simply think there are ways to convey to EA constructively you want more from the design team without having to resort to attacking differing simmers.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    i truly meant to end posting here - for one i dont like those flowers either! :) but i do find some of the arguments just because few flowers are poorly designed to be unbalanced - there are items in the set well done and highly sought after.

i also get folks want recipes to be included with the new harvestables - i do as well. but i also dont understand why its hard as a consumer to decide if you want then without new recipes or not.

but what has truly prompted me to post again is i think it is unkind to make the statement, "The cheerleading over mediocrity in this section is to blame."

its not simmers making bad store objects its EA. but just as important whether something is good or bad is ultimately subjective. its not for me tell another they are wrong for liking something and its not for anyone else to decide how i should spend my own money.

what i find further unkind is what looks like to me as some trying to shame people because their likes, opinions and purchasing choices do not aligned with yours. (not to mention the fact that for some that are ridiculing others for buying the set have the set listed on their wishlist)

i simply think there are ways to convey to EA constructively you want more from the design team without having to resort to attacking differing simmers.

Very well said
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:

Absolutely -- parts of that set are incredible. I bought the egg chair and hung a few on a farmhouse porch in one of my games. I almost started cooing when I looked over at the chairs because my sim's little ankle-biter dog was sleeping in one, and her cat was sleeping in the other. You know how those unscripted moments in your game just become even cuter because they're so unexpected? I had to pause my game and wallow in the cuteness for a few minutes.

The Store produces a ton of mind-bogglingly great stuff. That's why I keep coming back to it, and that's also why I'm so shocked and taken aback when something slips through the cracks. Hey, maybe it's unfair to expect consistency from them, but flowers really are not as complicated as a chicken coop or a wave machine.

I don't mean to attack anyone personally; I'm not even directing any ire at people in the Store. I'm just venting my surprise at the jarring discrepancy of style and wondering if it presages some kind of design sea change.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited March 2014
    I am sure I said before in my post above that I don't care what you all like, subjectively I don't like it and find it hard to swallow the shoddy work released for the cost.

Nothing I have stated before criticized anyone's taste, good for you. My comments and my demeanor is directed at the store team. This site is not about you all taking offense. That needs to stop.

You must join the bandwagon or 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Really?! Well, I will not and no shaming will make me go or have a differing opinion. Not that it matters, I am sure EA store don't care anyway.

The store started off great with Premium Content that would add some game play and fun. I get the feeling now the store just throws out something and name it PC, when it's a copy of base game stuff, just a new texture. :shock: (sarcasm) "Thank you EA for charging 1400 simpoints for that! You just made my day!" (/sarcasm)

Glad I didn't spend my money on this set, very nice non-simmer gave me a gift card for it. Shame I did use it for this set. *lowers head in shame*
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.