May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed about the new bohemian garden set

Comments

• Options
    NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited March 2014
    it's pretty obvious they work just like all the other plants.

Actually no, they don't. Lets take say potatoes and tryffels... you can plant them, grow them and then make a potato-tryffel pie. Or flame fruit. Plant it, grow it and bake Angel food cake. With these berries you can only do nectar. If they add this feature later on, then great, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

If I like something I like it. And I'm actually a bit mad about the way some people are making me feel like I'm wrong for liking them!

Do, you know what? If I don't like something, I say so politely and then move on. I don't keep coming back to attack people who do.

Oh for crying out loud... If some players are in love with this set, that's completely fine by me. No one in this thread has said that you shouldn't like it or that you should feel bad about liking it. That's just silly. Further more, all our comments have been directed to EA. No one has - lovely as you put it - "attacked" anyone. Nothing of that sorts has happened here. We have been having a conversations about EA and the state of their product quality. We are free to do so and it does not mean that we "come back" to anything.

The title of this thread clearly indicates what it's all about and if one does not like to read negative or criticizing comments, then they shouldn't do so. Why force yourself to have bad feelings if it's not necessary? But they also have no right to deny us the freedom to talk. Also, considering the nature of this thread, I still see more players trying to convince that this set is all rainbows and bunnies, instead of the other way round. Sorry if this hurts anyones feelings but I had to say it and there is another Bohemian thread going on where everyone can feel good about it and praise it all they want. Let us kindly have this one.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    TojaxTojax Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited March 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Karritz wrote:
    Please don't assume that if you don't like something, then everyone else who does like it must be both wrong and weak.
    No I don't do that. If you really like what you got then I'm fine with it. I was pointing towards the direction of Simmers who say "put a fence around it and it looks okay". Who would buy pants with defective seams and say "Hey I just put a skirt over it and it looks okay"?

Not to add to the potentially dramatic tone of this exchange, but why can't it be the best of both worlds. Some people like the items, some don't. It's good to express one's opinion as it gives the Store team feedback.

That said, while I am not a fan of the tulips, I do own the set and I would like to hear from other simmers how to deal with the plant issue. I don't see these ideas as a justification for what could be seen as poor quality work on the Store team's part, they're just friendly tips. Plus, like Karritz said, some might like the look of the flowers. It all depends on one's taste.

Well, anyway, I'm sure that someone from the Store team has seen this thread circulating by now, so hopefully they'll take the suggestions presented here into consideration for future sets.
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm not really sure what this thread is about anymore. Recipes? And some odd looking flowers?

So, I'll just throw my thoughts in willy-nilly.

When I see images from The Sims 4 or things like the offending tulips I don't think Pixar - I think mobile. And I wonder if EA isn't trying to push the two platforms into a position where they can share more resources. Like store items. I wonder if TS3 Store Team isn't being pushed to recycle/reuse mobile items. I don't know.

Sims FreePlay

The-Sims-FreePlay-for-iPhone-1.jpeg?showGallerySet=false"width=650"
  • Options
    darkwidow11darkwidow11 Posts: 601 Member
    edited March 2014
    The thing I don't like about the tulips (sorry if it was mentioned already) is that you can see the ground through the stems (there are gaps between the stems), then there is a "solid" wavy leaves layer, then the tulips sprout up through this "solid" layer here and there. Why couldn't they have put the gaps between the leaves layer instead of keeping it fully solid but still keep the wavy effect?

with the arch I posted, I wasn't ONLY referring to the flowers, I was also referring to the colored splotchy dots next to those flowers. Why are they there? Are the suppose to look like something our sims painted on, or are they not well made store small flowers? If it suppose to be something our sims painted I would like to think my sim can paint better than that. lol
  • Options
    TojaxTojax Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited March 2014
    with the arch I posted, I wasn't ONLY referring to the flowers, I was also referring to the colored splotchy dots next to those flowers. Why are they there? Are the suppose to look like something our sims painted on, or are they not well made store small flowers? If it suppose to be something our sims painted I would like to think my sim can paint better than that. lol

I think they might be other flowers...? Beats me, they just look like colourful dots... :roll:
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    it's pretty obvious they work just like all the other plants.

Actually no, they don't. Lets take say potatoes and tryffels... you can plant them, grow them and then make a potato-tryffel pie. Or flame fruit. Plant it, grow it and bake Angel food cake. With these berries you can only do nectar. If they add this feature later on, then great, but I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

You can also use them in cobbler and pancakes. They're kind of like watermelons in that regard...
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2014
    greencats! for CASting options have you ever tried using TT3 - ive been playing around with it and its possible to add and/or change CASt options

hey bshag4lv - i too have the MTS strawberries and so far no conflict, and since they are better looking and come with pie i think ill keep using them at least for now :)

Evalen - you bet!
    Halle_M wrote:

There's not going to be a substantial difference between the shots we see here, and the look of the final game. Just as there's not a substantial difference between EA's Sims 3 "First Look" trailer and the final product.
    hey halle, i so think there is still hope to be had for graphics :)for me all of the so far released official sims 4 stuff is being generated from the same demo, the pix and trailers are again officially declared pre alpha so that should mean texture that would actually be used in normal computers havent been added

in a very similar way the sims 2 trailer was like this as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO2hrQFWA

in terms of graphics much in that trailer is correct but its still cartoonish and inaccurate regarding the texture.

one example why i keep hope alive is that since specs havent been released for the game im guessing the team is still determining if the game will be directx 9 or 11 game

for us end users the difference btwn directx9 and 11 is significant
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/what_directx_11_and_what_it_means_you

now the reason why im guessing the team at least at gamescom hadnt determined this yet is because directx 11 though so much cooler at graphics means all sims users with vista would need to update OS.

from what i understand EA tries to create the base game based on the average sim user computer. in 2010 that could have involved many vista users. but the longer it takes for EA to release the game also gives me further hope that instead of defining the average computer to be created in 2010 they will use more recent stats, meaning windows 7 being the lowest considered OS- so i still have hope :)

love all the CC posting of flowers thanks garrison and sam for sharing. and dizzydee those pix are very inspiring!
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    greencats! for CASting options have you ever tried using TT3 - ive been playing around with it and its possible to add and/or change CASt options

Ooh, no, I haven't heard of it :D Is that what you were using to recolour the path that came with the grove? I googled it - something to do with texture tweaking came up but I couldn't find a link to download.

Thing is, I mostly use my game in order to create builds/sims to upload, and i like to keep those CC free for contests and the like, so I don't know how useful a recolour done outside of the game would be to me. Still, I am intrigued, and it might be fun to give it a stab just to see if I can do it. I like to try new things :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited March 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    from what i understand EA tries to create the base game based on the average sim user computer. in 2010 that could have involved many vista users. but the longer it takes for EA to release the game also gives me further hope that instead of defining the average computer to be created in 2010 they will use more recent stats, meaning windows 7 being the lowest considered OS- so i still have hope :)

Boy, CeeJay, I hope you are right! It scared me badly when they said Sims 4 would be able to run on low-end computers that couldn't handle Sims 3, though.

Thanks for the link to that article; it was very enlightening! :-)
  • Options
    SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited March 2014
    I thanked you for the gift on MyPages, Halle, but I thought I should really thank you here, too. You didn't have to do that, but I am thrilled to have the Russian roof to add to that collection. What a sweet gesture!

Like I mentioned about those cc roses, when placing them and creating your garden design, you just need to remember that the sims will treat them as a solid object and not route through them. I hope you are enjoying them!

• Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,517 Member
    edited March 2014
    Cinderelli said the following: "(snip) I'm not sorry if that upsets people. If I like something I like it. And I'm actually a bit mad about the way some people are making me feel like I'm wrong for liking them! (snip) If I don't like something I do say so. But I don't make other people feel bad for liking it. I don't keep going on about it! I give my feedback and move on. And I focus on things I do like."

I read your post and went on to other things, but my mind kept going back to it. And I think it might be best to say something.

Cinderrelli, you are one of the most enthusiastic and fun people on the forum. I love reading your posts and getting excited along with you. (And I love your Twitter updates, too.) In short, I LIKE you.

But what you wrote concerns me a bit. Because I don't think you need other people to validate your likes and dislikes. I think if you like something, then you do. How can it be wrong to like something?

What if every single person in this forum said something was absolutely AWFUL, but you liked it. Would you change your mind about liking it? Because, you see, I wouldn't. It wouldn't even matter to me if every single person bluntly told me I was wrong about liking it. I would still maintain that I liked something, if, in fact, I did. And I wouldn't feel bad about that, either.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have learned everyone has an opinion, and everyone wants others to have the same opinion -- but they aren't going to. Agreement is quite rare, actually. Most of the time, people polarize.

I have also learned that one person can be right, when everyone else thinks they are wrong.

And I have learned that I don't have to be anything other than what I am. I can be content within myself, no matter what the world is like around me.

That is not to say that I do not recognize I make mistakes. The older I get, the more I see the mistakes I made in the past. So I am well aware that I am, unfortunately, very fallible -- and each year, getting more so. Because of that, I am quick to apologize. And quick to give others the benefit of the doubt. And quick to say I may be wrong.

However, I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. I make no apology for that. No one can make me feel wrong for my personal opinions, even if the vast majority might disagree with me. Because I am who I am.

Please do consider that only YOU can make you feel wrong inside. And only YOU can make you feel right inside.

That's all I wanted to say. :)

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited March 2014
    dizzydee wrote:
    I'm not really sure what this thread is about anymore. Recipes? And some odd looking flowers?

So, I'll just throw my thoughts in willy-nilly.

When I see images from The Sims 4 or things like the offending tulips I don't think Pixar - I think mobile. And I wonder if EA isn't trying to push the two platforms into a position where they can share more resources. Like store items. I wonder if TS3 Store Team isn't being pushed to recycle/reuse mobile items. I don't know.

Sims FreePlay

The-Sims-FreePlay-for-iPhone-1.jpeg?showGallerySet=false"width=650"
    That sounds logical to me... :)
    ... but it has a bad taste for me as customer. :?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    samiam662 wrote:
    I thanked you for the gift on MyPages, Halle, but I thought I should really thank you here, too. You didn't have to do that, but I am thrilled to have the Russian roof to add to that collection. What a sweet gesture!

Thanks for the tips on those flowers! I'm really excited about having them in my game and am downloading them now. And as for the gift, you're welcome! I think I heard that the Mother Russia set was on the Daily Deal rotation, so keep your eyes peeled for it -- if you've got a few pieces from the set, you might be able to pick up the rest for a great discount.

Also, Garrison17 -- I wanted to gift you something from your wishlist to say thanks for posting that link, but you don't have anything on your list! :x :P So, just know that I appreciated your help, too!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    I guess what I'm saying is that I have learned everyone has an opinion, and everyone wants others to have the same opinion -- but they aren't going to.

That's quite a generalization. I certainly don't want others to have the same opinion about things as I do, nor do I try to achieve that in any way. World would get quite boring quite fast. :wink:

Halle_M: Just wanted to let you that the curtains look amazing in game and gives such a touch of elegance to my simmie's livingroom and bedroom. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    Halle_M: Just wanted to let you that the curtains look amazing in game and gives such a touch of elegance to my simmie's livingroom and bedroom. :)

Aw, that's great! I'm so glad they're working with your decor! Isn't it fun spoiling our little simmies with new stuff? :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Navazzah wrote:
    amjoie wrote:
    I guess what I'm saying is that I have learned everyone has an opinion, and everyone wants others to have the same opinion -- but they aren't going to.

That's quite a generalization. I certainly don't want others to have the same opinion about things as I do, nor do I try to achieve that in any way. World would get quite boring quite fast. :wink:

LOL! Silly thing.

Perhaps I should say everyone wants those who are important to them to have the same opinion. ;)

Or, I suppose I could just agree with you, and make you miserable.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    amjoie, I appreciate what you've said. <3

Navazzah, you're right. Why am I wasting my time and bumping such a negative thread? What was I thinking?

tumblr_inline_mgnqli9NQB1rwcy4q.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tumblr_inline_mgnqli9NQB1rwcy4q.gif

That is THE BEST exit line I have ever seen! LOL

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    Aw, that's great! I'm so glad they're working with your decor! Isn't it fun spoiling our little simmies with new stuff? :P

Oh, yes. I actually get jealous of my simmies sometimes. They get all that cool stuff and clothing. I wish I was better with decorating their houses, though, like they do in the BlackPearlSims forum, for example, but I guess my little simmies will have to live that. :D

amjoie wrote:
    Or, I suppose I could just agree with you, and make you miserable.
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited March 2014
    Well done guys. :?

So we can expect more of that low quality stuff and false advertisement which you love so much.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm a bit confused :shock: I didn't know this was a thread to make people upset or mad I thought people were just giving an opinion on a set.. :?: :?: :?: ..And it was something that was being said to E.A or the store team it's constructive criticism some companies actually like the negative feedback from time to time to keep them on their toes and know what the ppl want and know what to make better...NOT everything is perfect all the time ..

However it was never THE POINT TO MAKE OTHER PLAYERS MAD OR UPSET that would be very SILLY because as co-customers we are one as a whole...LIKE I STATED EARLIER IF THIS THREAD WAS INTENDED TO MAKE OTHER PLAYERS HURT I wouldn't have made a comment at all I would NEVER be a part of the MADNESS...I actually honestly thought this was a thread to say how you feel about the set NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE and it wasn't a thread for anyone to take personal it any kind of way...I'M LOST AND CONFUSED at this point :shock: :shock: .....

I work with a major company AND I MEAN MAJOR here in Hollywood California that's very well known ..a household name and we like negative feedback from time to time to help us make things better and we never take things personal so I guess I was thinking on a professional level...hmmm I do know is E.A {THE STORE TEAM} is not putting any money in my pockets I will never get a dime of the profits so I'm going to say how I feel and be honest about it but it was never any intentions to make a PLAYER or WORKER of E.A mad or upset or take things on a personal level

I would never engage in such childishness nor would I want another player to not buy something because of what I SAID ...I OWN EVERYTHING IN THE STORE AND ALL GAMES AND STUFF PACKS and will continue to buy because I LOVE SIMS HOWEVER I WILL LET THEM KNOW FROM TIME TO TIME "HEY THIS COULD HAVE BEEN DONE A LITTLE BETTER" nothing to take personal...but I guess from reading the forums of sims 2 and 3 for many many many years before I started making comments ...If you are not saying something great and loving every inch of the product it's bad to say anything at all ..

...Hmm I guess my definition of a forum all these years are wrong ...I actually thought FORUM was something u can use to give feedback on how u feel it may not be what everyone likes all the time but it's YOUR Opinion and it's nothing anyone will take personally or to hurt anyone feelings...OH WELL I guess I was wrong and I do apologize and will ONLY say good things from here on out or say nothing at all ...Sorry E.A and sorry co- customers... :x
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    brsy wrote:
    However it was never THE POINT TO MAKE OTHER PLAYERS MAD OR UPSET that would be very SILLY because as co-customers we are one as a whole...LIKE I STATED EARLIER IF THIS THREAD WAS INTENDED TO MAKE OTHER PLAYERS HURT I wouldn't have made a comment at all I would NEVER be a part of the MADNESS...I actually honestly thought this was a thread to say how you feel about the set NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE and it wasn't a thread for anyone to take personal it any kind of way...I'M LOST AND CONFUSED at this point :shock: :shock: .....

Well, once people put their opinion out there, it's out of their control how people are going to take it. My own comments weren't directed toward anyone, but rather, toward EA. However, some people get defensive and feel as if a critical assessment about something they like is somehow an attack on them personally. This happens in politics, religion, fashion -- you name it, lol. I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but were just honestly stating your thoughts (which you have a perfectly valid right to do), so don't worry about it. :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    brsy wrote:

Well, once people put their opinion out there, it's out of their control how people are going to take it. My own comments weren't directed toward anyone, but rather, toward EA. However, some people get defensive and feel as if a critical assessment about something they like is somehow an attack on them personally. This happens in politics, religion, fashion -- you name it, lol. I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but were just honestly stating your thoughts (which you have a perfectly valid right to do), so don't worry about it. :-)

:-) thank-you
  • Options
    MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited March 2014
    I have had some time to look closely at this set now and I will say I love most of it. I had hoped the tulips would be more like the store's daffodils but I have wanted tulips in game so long, I will make these ones work! I am not a fan of the look of Sims 4 so the graphics have thrown me off a bit.

I will say though that the tulips and buttercups match the look of the PVZ sunflower perfectly! Since I love that thing and always have it on my lot, and stopped noticing the graphics of it after awhile, I am guessing it'll probably be the same with the tulips and buttercups. It really is only the leaves that make them look out-of-place so much. I do hope the store team isn't planning any more of these types of flowers though, they really do not blend well with the Sims 3 world.

I looked closely at the store and game flowers and they do share a photo-skinned effect on the blooms that is hard to recreate/make blend with the more Pixar-looking tulips, buttercups, and singing sunflower. I do like that the new flowers look more 3D then the normal game ones, again, it is just the plastic-look of them (the leaves) that make them appear so jarring next to the regular game flowers. It would be nice if they could somehow combine the photo-skinned flower look with the more 3D look somehow but I don't know if this is possible for them.

While I was looking closely at all the flowers, I did notice that many of the regular flowers do have a jagged look to their edges, I'm just not usually close up to them enough to really notice.

Personally, the hairs are not ones I will use much, but I am glad other people like them so much. I haven't looked at the clothes too closely, but I do have sims thta tend to dress in that style so I am sure I will use them. The boots, I love; not enough good boots in this game!

The harvestables I am thrilled with! I do love gardening in game though. I was not disappointed about no new recipes because I had assumed all along that the recipes they were talking about were the normal in-game ones (i.e. pancakes, nectar, etc). The fact that they only mentioned nectar as an example of a new recipe, made me think that, for if they'd put new recipes in the game itself, then they would have mentioned one of those. Plus, I don't think we have gotten new recipes without them connected to a PC item or world (I could be mistaken though).

Anyway, while I hope they do not use the pixar-style for flowers in the future, I do love this set! I can finally have tulips! :lol:

• Options
    edited March 2014

Personally, the hairs are not ones I will use much, but I am glad other people like them so much. I haven't looked at the clothes too closely, but I do have sims thta tend to dress in that style so I am sure I will use them. The boots, I love; not enough good boots in this game!

:thumbup: I looveee the boots also :)