Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thank you for the first same-sex couple in the Sims 3!

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited December 2013
    Not an edit because I pressed quote. Oops!

EDIT: And when you say 'Do they "have to" be gay/lesbian' what are you suggesting exactly? That someone should essentially go through life on their own and never be happy? Who the heck are you to say that people should shut down their emotions and basically wait for death to come because they have no one to share their life with.

You also claim that you have had many friends who were gay or lesbian. I find that hard to believe. No one, gay, straight, lesbian - whatever, is going to spend time with someone who is constantly judging them and condemning them.

If you really do have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and you are arguing this much about how wrong it is, I have to wonder if someone is lost in Narnia, you know, that place at the back of your closet.
  • Options
    acidsugar112acidsugar112 Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2013
    What I or anyone else does with another consenting adult is nobody's business but their own...period...

There may be teenagers in this forum who are LGBT and it is not fair to them to sit on a high horse and judge them...looking at a family like the store team has made just might let them know there is nothing wrong with them and they can have a "traditional" family too...if that is what they want...maybe they also want to play with a premade family that represents what they believe in...so stop judging...it's wrong and hurtful...if you don't agree that is well within your right...but the judging thing is what is wrong...period...who are any of us to judge what another person does? No one has that right...we are ALL equal and deserve the same rights on this planet...maybe things will be a lot better if we focus on the good and less on what goes on between the sheets (so to speak!)

I for one think its a great idea to have many different types of families in the game...kudos...this game is a life simulation...and if you think that YOUR lifestyle is the only one that has a right to be in the game then you need to take a long look in the mirror...because YOU are the problem with the world today...

that is my two cents...

happy simming!
    the_joker_illustration-t2.jpg
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2013
    What I or anyone else does with another consenting adult is nobody's business but their own...period...

There may be teenagers in this forum who are LGBT and it is not fair to them to sit on a high horse and judge them...looking at a family like the store team has made just might let them know there is nothing wrong with them and they can have a "traditional" family too...if that is what they want...maybe they also want to play with a premade family that represents what they believe in...so stop judging...it's wrong and hurtful...if you don't agree that is well within your right...but the judging thing is what is wrong...period...who are any of us to judge what another person does? No one has that right...we are ALL equal and deserve the same rights on this planet...maybe things will be a lot better if we focus on the good and less on what goes on between the sheets (so to speak!)

I for one think its a great idea to have many different types of families in the game...kudos...this game is a life simulation...and if you think that YOUR lifestyle is the only one that has a right to be in the game then you need to take a long look in the mirror...because YOU are the problem with the world today...

that is my two cents...

happy simming!

*Hugs*

This is why you are one of the few simmers who stay open-minded and just try to enjoy the best you can in the forums or in your game.

I am glad to have you as a friend *Waves*
  • Options
    acidsugar112acidsugar112 Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2013
    AznSensei wrote:

that is my two cents...

happy simming!

*Hugs*

This is why you are one of the few simmers who stay open-minded and just try to enjoy the best you can in the forums or in your game.

I am glad to have you as a friend *Waves*

Thanks Azn...it just really upsets me when I see something like this...there is enough pain in this world...too much...way too much...I don't believe love is wrong...I just don't...when you see something you have to say something...sometimes silence is just as bad or worse than openly agreeing with this type of tomfoolery...
    the_joker_illustration-t2.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2013
    AznSensei wrote:
    Can we not make it a big deal every time a same-sex couple is included/excluded.

I don't understand the big deal over having same sex couples included or not, love is love no matter where or who you find it with, and if you're happy, good for you, but in this instance I have to agree with the above remark.

Someone said earlier that including same sex households didn't mean you had to play them, and you could just leave them, and get on with the way you play normally. That is indeed true, so why does the inclusion of a same sex couple warrant a huge thread on the boards?
    I sometimes see people remarking that homosexuality shouldn't be a big deal. Which is why I don't understand making it into a big deal, like this thread.

Though considering who the OP is, it isn't surprising me.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SimplyToriSimplyTori Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2013
    :cry: Can't we all just get along :cry: This is so off topic :!:
    justlurking.gif
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited December 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    all trying to force the whole world into that unusual mentality

"Unusual mentality"? That's an interesting phrase. You know, I'm descended from polygamists, not just on one side of my family, but on BOTH sides. When polygamy was formally outlawed in the United States, my polygamist ancestors moved south of the border, to Mexico, in order to continue their polygamist lifestyle. I suppose you would call that an "unusual mentality" as well.

My polygamist family would happily point out to you that monogamy is a fairly recent construct. They would be able to show you, line and verse, the more than 30 Biblical characters and prophets (such as Jacob, Abraham, Moses and Solomon) who had multiple wives. They would tell you that monogamy is the "unusual mentality," as the people of the Middle East have practiced polygamy for thousands of years. They could show you the Bible verses that condone it.

My point? You seem to assume that your way is the way everyone should be, the way that it has "always been." It's not. Monogamy is a fairly young concept. Marrying for love is even younger. There's no one way to do anything. You're just being intolerant of people who aren't like you. And before you accuse me of "putting words in your mouth," I quoted you word-for-word above.

I'm not a polygamist. I'm not a homosexual. I don't care what consenting adults do because it doesn't affect me in the least; no one is trying to "shove" anything down your throat. They're just not hiding it anymore. That's what you're really bothered by, isn't it? Homosexuality has been going on for thousands of years. People aren't hiding it anymore, because why should they? And that's what you don't like. You want to think it doesn't exist -- you want to live the lie, rather than face the reality.

I hope you choose reality some day. It doesn't mean you have to accept their lifestyle for yourself -- it just means you have to stop judging them for it.

As for EA, thank you to the whole store team, for creating diversity in the game. :D
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited December 2013
    Halle_M wrote:
    Deshong04 wrote:
    all trying to force the whole world into that unusual mentality

"Unusual mentality"? That's an interesting phrase. You know, I'm descended from polygamists, not just on one side of my family, but on BOTH sides. When polygamy was formally outlawed in the United States, my polygamist ancestors moved south of the border, to Mexico, in order to continue their polygamist lifestyle. I suppose you would call that an "unusual mentality" as well.

My polygamist family would happily point out to you that monogamy is a fairly recent construct. They would be able to show you, line and verse, the more than 30 Biblical characters and prophets (such as Jacob, Abraham, Moses and Solomon) who had multiple wives. They would tell you that monogamy is the "unusual mentality," as the people of the Middle East have practiced polygamy for thousands of years. They could show you the Bible verses that condone it.

My point? You seem to assume that your way is the way everyone should be, the way that it has "always been." It's not. Monogamy is a fairly young concept. Marrying for love is even younger. There's no one way to do anything. You're just being intolerant of people who aren't like you. And before you accuse me of "putting words in your mouth," I quoted you word-for-word above.

I'm not a polygamist. I'm not a homosexual. I don't care what consenting adults do because it doesn't affect me in the least; no one is trying to "shove" anything down your throat. They're just not hiding it anymore. That's what you're really bothered by, isn't it? Homosexuality has been going on for thousands of years. People aren't hiding it anymore, because why should they? And that's what you don't like. You want to think it doesn't exist -- you want to live the lie, rather than face the reality.

I hope you choose reality some day. It doesn't mean you have to accept their lifestyle for yourself -- it just means you have to stop judging them for it.

As for EA, thank you to the whole store team, for creating diversity in the game. :D

Crying-Mariah-Carey.gif
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2013

that is my two cents...

happy simming!

There is only ONE judge and it is not me. Just because I feel different than you is not judging...it's observation of The Word. It is written, can't escape no matter how much one tries because in the end it is written that all good or bad deeds will be justly rewarded when the time comes. Not my place to judge except to discern how I go about my own life and watch out for others that not good role models. GO READ EVERYTHING I WROTE because you guys are making stuff up that I did not say nor how I feel. I do NOT have an issue about same-sex couples in-game as long as I have a choice. I do have an issue with the media and whatever constantly bringing up LGBT news at every opportunity because I see it as trying to force their opinions about their lifestyle on others to accept. It's a constant battle to validate their lifestyle but what is there to validate if you feel it is right? Why are you spending your time/life trying to explain to others that your actions are right. I don't know anyone who knows or feels they are right in their way of lifestyle trying to validate it to everyone else. To be honest I think most does not cares and feels like me and wishes the media and whatever stops making a big deal out of nothing.

The first time I ever met a transexual by the name of Paris and I treated her with respect like any person. She even told me how she appreciated how nice I was because the others would call her by the name he was born with when they overheard her talking about it and just bully her. She was really nice though. Stating this because people like to paint a false picture of what I'm like but you do not know me personally so stop with the defamation just because I don't agree with that lifestyle doesn't equal a hateful person. Just because some don't like cats doesn't mean they are cruel to them. Yet it is you and others who are cruel to me...which again I expected because my stance is not welcomed even though I respect others.

If you are LGBT and are so-called proud then why does what I say bother you? Any person who is comfortable/confident with themselves don't care what others say nor think because all that matters is how they feel about themselves. So that is saying a whole lot if some LGBT have an issue with what I'm saying. And the fact that people need to state their sexual preference at all regardless of SLGBT annoys me. What does that have anything to do with anything? A person is person. Do you guys want to be addressed like a person or by your sexual preference? Oh I'm gay, I'm lesbian, I'm this and that. Unless someone is dating or in person just wants to share that information, that does not need to be known. Who cares? I don't. You are not defined by your sexual orientation but that is the way "some" LGBT acts all the time.

And if you read the first post I made you would know I am initially expressing an annoyance. I am not trying to force my beliefs on anyone but it is evident in this topic that others are trying to force their beliefs on others. I don't care what you believe in that is different from my own views, it's not me so I don't care. Which I thought would be the attitude of my view...just dismiss it and move on. But again you prove how big of a deal some LGBT tries to get others to accept their lifestyle when in reality, the way I see it, most don't care what you do. Just so tired of having to hear it so frequently.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    cemole4235cemole4235 Posts: 344 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Let's just all stop egging on this thread, and I apologize for my part in it. It's clear that some are not going to change their views, and really we all should be enjoying our beautiful new world as we see fit, especially now that EA has helped us express our creativity in even more ways! Happy Simming, everyone :)
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2013
    cemole4235 wrote:
    Let's just all stop egging on this thread, and I apologize for my part in it. It's clear that some are not going to change their views, and really we all should be enjoying our beautiful new world as we see fit, especially now that EA has helped us express our creativity in even more ways! Happy Simming, everyone :)

I have a better idea. Everyone just stop responding to me and go about your topic.

And no you are not "truly" apologetic, as anyone can read you are ONLY apologizing for going off topic and yet again being disrespectful to me like so many here. But really now, that's not a surprise at all. But you guys can't really just stop responding to me? Just ignore me because what I'm doing is defending myself since remember I'm the only one who mostly everyone is against. Do you expect me to not defend myself from your lies and defamation? At least until this topic finally gets locked or deleted eventually if you guys don't stop responding. It's just my stance...right?

So I'm the one with issues while everyone else is completely normal? Because I'm sure they treat people like they have treat me all the time...or so just the ones they have secret hate for because of differing views. Right I see, spread the love for those who agree with you. To spread hate and rudeness to those who do not agree. To spread INTOLERANCE. To condone cyberBULLYING. Are you sure that is the kind of message you want to be known for?
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited December 2013
    Personally speaking, it doesn't concern me one way or the other that a lesbian couple was included with RH. I rarely play premade sims and usually ignore them all equally. :mrgreen:

• Options
    Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited December 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    There is only ONE judge and it is not me. Just because I feel different than you is not judging...it's observation of The Word. It is written, can't escape no matter how much one tries because in the end it is written that all good or bad deeds will be justly rewarded when the time comes. Not my place to judge except to discern how I go about my own life and watch out for others that not good role models.

Agreed.^^

The situation is this: we are all born sinners. This means that we all face challenges in this life, because we are imperfect human beings born in a flawed condition.

The problem is people think that our tendency towards sin is natural, however, the tendency towards sin is inherently unnatural and goes against natural law. Nature actually rebels against sin and it is only because of God's Divine Mercy that mankind does not suffer the full penalty of rebelling during life on earth. True divine judgment is saved for the afterlife once we have passed over and solidified our free will choice for or against God by the witness of our life here on earth.

Sadly, most people no longer recognize that they are sinners in need of redemption or even truly know what sin is. We've all forgotten or have never been taught what concupiscence means and that each of us are born in this fallen state.

And sadly, many people fail to realize that Christ died to save us from sin, not to save us from the challenges and ills of this fallen world. Heaven is our true home, not earth.

I agree with you, Deshong04. You are stating the truth and I commend you for your beliefs.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited December 2013
    A gay couple in RH is great news and makes me feel optimistic about the upcoming Sims 4. I was quite afraid that EA could withdraw homosexuality from the game after the new anti-gay law in Russia (which is probably one of their biggest markets in Europe besides the UK and Germany). On the other hand - they would lose a very big part of their fanbase if they did so. So thank you EA for your courage! Now I will return to my gay couple in Isla Paradiso who just managed to get pregnant at Grim's door despite enormous lagging (you have to fix that in TS4 :D ).
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited December 2013

Agreed.^^

The situation is this: we are all born sinners. This means that we all face challenges in this life, because we are imperfect human beings born in a flawed condition.

The problem is people think that our tendency towards sin is natural, however, the tendency towards sin is inherently unnatural and goes against natural law. Nature actually rebels against sin and it is only because of God's Divine Mercy that mankind does not suffer the full penalty of rebelling during life on earth. True divine judgment is saved for the afterlife once we have passed over and solidified our free will choice for or against God by the witness of our life here on earth.

Sadly, most people no longer recognize that they are sinners in need of redemption or even truly know what sin is. We've all forgotten or have never been taught what concupiscence means and that each of us are born in this fallen state.

And sadly, many people fail to realize that Christ died to save us from sin, not to save us from the challenges and ills of this fallen world. Heaven is our true home, not earth.

I agree with you, Deshong04. You are stating the truth and I commend you for your beliefs.

I love everyone, but I don't have to love what people do!

I love what you wrote here, Mistletoe! I live life by what the Lord says is right for us, which will ALWAYS be the best, not by what I myself think and feel is right. Neither by what everyone else around me say is right. Only way any of us can achieve that is by God's Grace/His help if you allow Him too. Never in our own strength. I've tried living life my own way, my strength, my feelings, and by my wants and it screwed me up. (not living that life anymore) God knows best and wants the best for us and it's so freeing! wooo! :D

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited December 2013
    The situation is this: we are all born sinners.

No, we're not. Someone taught you to think that way, but it doesn't mean it is actually true. In the United States, we once thought it was right to hang someone for witchcraft because our cow got sick and died. They could show you Bible verses in the Old AND New Testament that say it is right to kill a witch.

We grew out of that superstition. We'll grow out of the others, as well.

You know what I think? I think it's just like in marketing. In marketing, you create a need in the consumer, and then you make sure you're the only company who can fulfill that need. You create dependency and brand loyalty, and you make A LOT of money. I think a Bronze Age goatherding bully in Sumeria decided to create a need many thousands of years ago. "If I can make everyone think they're 'sinners,' and make sure I have the only way for them to escape the "sin" that I created in the first place, then I can tell everyone what to do and they'll listen to me."

And now, many thousands of years later, we have thousands of religions based on that one goat-herding Sumerian who had a great idea about how to make people do what he wanted.

I'm over it. I'm done with polygamy and superstition. I try to live my life well and not hurt people. That's my religion. I'm sure you'd think I was a sinner. Ironically, I'm less judgmental towards people than the majority who actually think they're the "saved" ones. Life is a funny thing.
  • Options
    JorizorianJorizorian Posts: 936
    edited December 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:

I had a gay friend once so in no way do I treat anyone any different than how I would want to be treated. I treated him with respect and he treated me with respect even telling him I do not agree with his lifestyle. Why did I become friends with him? Because he was the one who befriended me and even after telling him how I feel in a respectful manner he still wanted to be friends. And I will admit that he is one of the funniest people I have ever known but usually most gays are. Point is the people take the word homophobe to brand people as if they mistreat others of that nature and/or hate them which is most likely false. I don't hate anyone but I know what "my" beliefs are.

:shock: Wha...? I have no words.... :shock:
  • Options
    jojodelpierojojodelpiero Posts: 777 New Member
    edited December 2013
    ShortyBoo wrote:
    Not the first. There were a few before. I know in Aurora for sure. :wink:

I don't think those two were actually married, though. There was also a guy in Lucky Palms that I think was implied to be gay.

I think they also did that for some guy in Bridgeport.
  • Options
    jojodelpierojojodelpiero Posts: 777 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Also, some people in this thread just disgust me.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited December 2013
    Personally I am happy that EA included a same sex couple, but I realized that this would upset some people. Arguing with them is only going to make them more entrenched in their opinions - and give them the idea that they are being persecuted for their beliefs. Homosexuals exist, they have always existed and they will always exist. If you wish to ignore that existence, go right ahead.
  • Options
    DaethaqtDaethaqt Posts: 760 Member
    edited December 2013
    Reading this whole forum makes me a little sad. Someone was happy about a same-sex couple. They felt happy, appreciated ( Assuming ), included, ECT. It was obvious what the topic was about; so what was the need to post an opinion on a topic you don't "Agree with"? and in turn defend yourself against being called a homophobe?

I'm can read very well and I know the structure of dialogue and it is apparent when someone wants to politely offend so that it looks like an opinion; making it okay to get away with it or cry first amendment to give the offense justice.

What happened to LOVE?

What I realized is when people go out of there way to release their emotions and feelings on a subject that dose not directly affect them, there is usually something deeper than what they are willing to let on.

• Options
    tulabulatulabula Posts: 123 Member
    edited December 2013
    YEEEEEESSSSS

FINALLY

ABOUT TIME!
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited December 2013
    In general, I think that how people live their lives is nobody else's business (unless you're murdering people and wreaking havoc, then that's a problem). Everyone has an opinion and well, I'm not going to agree with all of those opinions.

Once upon a time, people of different races were segregated in America to the extreme point of different water fountains and parking spots. We look back on that with shock - how could anyone have been so backwards?! I think in another 10 years, we'll wonder how anyone could have been so hateful towards same sex relationships.

And really, at the end of the day, we are all on this forums because we have something in common - a love of the Sims. I think we all probably have more in common than that, and should focus on the things that make us the same rather than what makes us different.

We are all human with things and people that we love. We all laugh and cry and <I>live</I>.
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top