Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Have You Done With Townies, Premades and NPCs?

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
Here’s a thread that’s probably been asked dozens of times before.

EA gives us plenty of townies, NPCAs and premade families to play with. Most of them in my books require some tweaking.

So, for those of you who use CC and even for some of you who don’t…

What have you done with them? Have you tweaked them with cc or changed them in any way shape or form.

Let’s see them.

Mine:

River McIrish
A2DD0A9A-5387-491A-8CA6-931779B2E285.jpeg
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited April 2022
    Yep, I absolutely have given many official (and some randomly created) townies full makeovers, back stories and bio upgrades. Appearances aside, I very much dislike how 'thrown together' most Sims in the game are with personalities which don't match their traits. Or origin stories which make absolutely no sense for their line of development. So, I change it.

Take Holly Alto, for example. Although she is a teen when the game starts, Holly's parents are both 'non-friendly' sims. Her mother is evil and her father mean-spirited. Yet, despite this Holly is portrayed as a 'good sim'. But is she really?

Here's Holly's quick bio:
    Holly somehow managed to develop the polar opposite moral code of her parents and is constantly striving to turn them to good.

Now think about it.
    According to EA, Holly's non-existent childhood would have been influenced by her parents lack of attention to her; and her social development would have been influenced by what she saw them do or heard them say in private. One could say, since Holly starts life as a teen that growing up she learned what her parents were doing was morally wrong and made the decision not to be like them. But that's not what her bio says. It says "...and is constantly striving to turn them to good." This implies Holly is using manipulation tactics of her own to get what she wants. Being 'Good' is obviously not what Nick and Vita want as they are happy as they are, but that's not 'good enough' for Holly. In Holly's eyes, her parents must change. Why do you think this is important to her?

Furthermore, if left untouched in game and to their own devices, you will see Holly do some 'not good or nice' things (this is trait influence as Sims learn by what they see, hear and experience). You will also see that she and her father are openly close. Vita, while evil, is not when it comes to her daughter. Sure, she will openly torment the girl, but if you watch her you'll see that Vita keeps a very silent and close eye on her daughter. She will autonomously go after any Sim who attempts to wrong her.
  • Options
    chocolatefrostingchocolatefrosting Posts: 67 Member
    I've never bothered editing townies in the Sims 3, just because they're usually dressed decent enough and look decent enough imo. In the sims 4 however, I edit all the townies that I possibly can because of how awful the spawned outfits are.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I’d have to say, @mw1525, that I felt the same way about Holly Alto; there’s too much adverse effects from her parents for her to turn out “entirely good” and I agree with you that she could potentially flip to evil in a heartbeat if Sims behaved realistically.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited April 2022
    "... if Sims behaved realistically."

@Nikkei_Simmer - I dunno and maybe it's just me, but when Sims are given the chance and time to develop, plus the opportunity to grow, from my experience they do behave very realistically (emulation-ly speaking). Personally, I have never seen a 'dumb', idiotic' or 'more Ron ick' Sim as I have heard Simmer's call them. I have seen 'unlearned sims', sims who attempt to follow poor/incomplete or non-sensical coding, impossible glitches and very impatient or moody players but you can't blame the sim for that.

As far as Holly goes, I would have to disagree with you when you say she "could potentially flip to evil". I would argue she already is, but not as it is recognized by the trait animations but rather by her own autonomous interactions with other sims. Holly is a very cleverly designed sim (code-wise), she is the type of evil which 'disarms'. For the player, she has an angelic type face, high pitched child-like voice, lighter colored skin and hair - all the 'usual' tricks to invoke 'innocence'. For the sim, it is her 'good trait' coding which keeps her personality from being obviously seen (though they will catch on after a while if they have been affected by her).

Holly is the type of evil which (if left to her own devices) will effortlessly slide into your Sims life and based on what she learns will quietly begin to tear it down...if she chooses.

• Options
    movefan89movefan89 Posts: 60 Member
    I tend to leave the townies alone, I might change their clothes if I marry one of them though.
  • Options
    paladinx333paladinx333 Posts: 11 New Member
    I use the NRAAS master controller to take them into CAS and give them a makeover. Not all of them though, just the ones my sim interacts with.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2022
    I haven't yet seen a townie that I could play "as is" but when I see a sim with potential I take them straight into CAS for a genetic makeover so they can be used in future saves as town fillers or, in the case of a few, as members of the household.

When I first started playing and I saw Mortimer Goth grow up I was surprised at how cute he was. Before I knew anything about CC or mods (including the CAS Camera Zoom mod which makes fine tuning of features much easier) I would just give him a hair/clothes makeover. On looking through my Makeover Folder at Flickr I found this makeover of Morty. It might not be my most recent tweak but it's pretty much how he looks in my game these days.
    42965925720_721999ca39_h.jpg

Edit to add: Just found a pic when I aged down Gunther and Cornelia and gave them makeovers as well. Gunther is another favourite of mine :) Morty seems to be in shock at what I have done to his parents ;):p
    43443975691_34b65feb06_h.jpg
  • Options
    I have played with Jared and Connor Frio a few times but mostly they get used as town fillers. This makeover is from a few years ago when I finally installed Showtime. I used Jared to test the acrobat career. Connor stayed home and worked as a writer.
    44366122612_fb41b63af0_h.jpg
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I generally prefer minimal interventions in EA sims, I like to play with them as is. I have made a few minor changes in some sims, most unnoticeable.
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    I don't change any of the townies, premades, or NPCs unless they are involved with my sim's family in some way. If I don't already have a spouse for my sim created I'll usually marry one of the EA made sims or player made if I'm playing a custom world. After that I give them a makeover so they at least match my sim in looks regarding CC. I prefer to not change anything regarding that Sim's genetics so no changing hair color or facial features. However, that doesn't mean I haven't done so. (At least facial features. Hair color is never touched.) Sometimes the default face of certain Sims just isn't that great so I tweak them into my own version of that Sim. I usually try to make the changes match what has already been established for the Sim in terms of their bio, personality, etc.
  • Options
    Eddy Mullis, University, is one of my favourite townies and often played in my main households. Here's my makeover :)
    49598041152_ce113694ca_h.jpg
  • Options
    pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    I tweaked Billy Caspian of Riverview a bit when he married my legacy founder.
    Before:
    Screenshot-14571.jpg
    Screenshot-14699.jpg

After:
    Screenshot-14756.jpg
    Screenshot-15494.jpg

• Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    There's only one premade Sim I recall really playing with, and that's Margarita Manzano from Isla Paradiso. She starts the game as an elder, so she's pretty easy to overlook:
    KAQ4fjh.png
    (Pic from Sims Wiki)

But that's a pity, because when you age her down to YA, she's gorgeous! :) No facial tweaking at all here, I've only applied custom hair, skin, eyes and clothing:
    w3gvklR.jpg

And here she is in Live Mode.
    G0tPhLy.jpg

You could say she's quite the head-turner. :tongue:
    XtUz4N4.jpg
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2022
    Just gave a makeover to Amy Bull from Twinbrook. Her original look is.. really something, but that makes her interesting so I wanted to keep as much of that wackiness as possible but just make it more my style :)
    Screenshot-66.jpg
    Screenshot-71.jpg
    Screenshot-65.jpg
    Screenshot-74.jpg
    Circus... but make it fashion
  • Options
    faceface Posts: 21 Member
    > @Onverser said:
    > Just gave a makeover to Amy Bull from Twinbrook. Her original look is.. really something, but that makes her interesting so I wanted to keep as much of that wackiness as possible but just make it more my style :)

Makeover of the year. Sooo gorgeous! What skin is that, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    faceface Posts: 21 Member
    Considering that some players worship a lot of the renowned townies, me removing them from the game (if I can do so safely) without a second thought is probably a controversial habit...
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    face wrote: »
    > @Onverser said:
    > Just gave a makeover to Amy Bull from Twinbrook. Her original look is.. really something, but that makes her interesting so I wanted to keep as much of that wackiness as possible but just make it more my style :)

Makeover of the year. Sooo gorgeous! What skin is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! Just checked, I think it's a skin called "freckled nectar", she looks kind of different in my game now to how she looked then though so potentially she had another skin called "mango smoothie" on then instead, I'll link both :)

https://erissims3ccfinds.tumblr.com/post/88333338917/brntwaffles-requested-skins-freckled-nectar
    https://neisims.tumblr.com/post/95929939046/1450-followers-gift-mango-smoothie-mango