Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

👽 Miller Legacy 🛸

Comments

• Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    Thanks a lot for the comment @mightysprite !

In the next chapter literally anything could happen, it's a new start! Who knows what I decided to go for...
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    New chapter!

Ooo! Congratulations, Rowan and Juno! The selfie was cute.

Hmm... Some deeper insight into Juno's family situation. They do not seem like a very supportive set of parents. And looking so grumpy on her graduation day. Wow. :open_mouth: You'd think they'd at least be pleased about that. I assume that's Juno's dad who has the same color hair as Juno... that look he's giving Oliver. :fearful::joy:

But I am very excited that we'll still get to see Juno in the next phase of Rowan's life! Those two are a lot of fun to watch, even if they are just roommates forever.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow , thanks a lot for the comment, as always!
    This was a funny chapter to make, graduations are always fun!

The scene with all the relatives was pure anarchy though. I mean, I was only controlling Rowan, everyone else was invited sims who were behaving like, well... invited sims XD Juno parents looked way angrier than I hoped for, for example, but I just went on with it. Probably they were expecting a more formal graduation ceremony, instead they ended up sharing the celebration with the noisy and casual party the Millers were throwing XD
    Also, in this picture , the one who makes me laugh the most is actually Alba. So that she doesn't have eyebrows it can be hard to tell, but for me who know her well that face says: "Chill out a bit, guys!" XD

As for the ending instead, I shared your sentiment a lot (I mean, how could I focus so much on Juno and then let her move to the opposite side of the globe?) A lot is about to happen, for sure!
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    And chapter 8.10 is out too! (link)

This chapter was particularly challenging for me to write, that's all I'm saying :#
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    That was great :)
    I think it is a sympathetic and sensitive portrayal of people's experiences who are gray-sexual or demi-sexual.
    I continue to enjoy how these two characters influence each other!
  • Options
    I think Rowan has become my favorite character in the whole series.

This chapter was a lot of fun, and really just makes me love both Rowan and Juno even more. Rowan is extremely relatable for me, and Juno is definitely the kind of friend/partner he needs. I love how both of them are trying to figure each other out, trying to be careful not to hurt each other, and just how awkward that sometimes is.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks a lot to you both for the comment, I'm glad you liked the chapter! I probably rewrote it 3 times, it was such a mess for me to plan instead...

@mightysprite
    And I'm also glad you appreciated the representation part, that was indeed a part I was a bit worried about.

The generation has just started, there will be still a lot to see about these two!

@GlacierSnow
    So Rowan doesn't remind you of Vorbis anymore, uh? Just joking, he really grew quite a lot during his college years! (By the way, I finally started reading that book, how could I miss it before?)

Anyway, for both Rowan and Juno figuring each other out has been (and will be) a lot of work, for sure they're really different. Yet very different people can also match very well, so... We'll see what will happen next :#
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    @HermioneSims
    So Rowan doesn't remind you of Vorbis anymore, uh?

LOL! I actually forgot I made that comparison. :lol: It's true. When he was a teen (and also when we mostly only saw him from the outside) he did remind me of a potential Vorbis type. Mainly the strict adherence (and trying to make others adhere) to what he saw as the right rules, with no exceptions, and not showing much empathy for anyone. But he's grown a lot in college. He seems to be valuing other people's feelings a lot more now, even when he doesn't fully identify or understand them. Seeing the struggle and the thought process he goes through, from his point of view, a lot of what he thinks and what he puzzles over just seems very familiar and relatable to me. So, yeah. I see him quite differently now. I've always thought he was interesting. But now I really like him too.

I am definitely curious how the rest of this generation will go...
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    And chapter 8.11 is out too! (link)

It's time to focus a bit more on Rowan's new life in Sim City (aka San Myshuno), isn't it? B)
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    New chapter!

Poor Rowan does not seem at all suited to his new job. He's much too honest for work like that.

River and Rick are dads now! :love: Little Caleb looks so worried though. :worried: It's undoubtedly rough for both him and Eva. But I think Rowan is right. River will be a very good parent.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your comment @GlacierSnow !
    Yup, Rowas is really struggling with his clients. To be honest, I consider that job tough in general, I wouldn't be able to do anything like that either.

With River and Rick instead, so that they're quite older than Rowan, it was definitively the time to decide whether to give them some kids or not, story-wise. It's not like I thought much about it though, that's the River I had in mind practically since the beginning.
    As for Eva and Caleb, they surely come from a very difficult first part of their life, and this big change won't be easy either. River, Rick and everyone else are very motivated to do whatever is best for them though, from now on I can only see their situation improving!
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    I like how the not-very-chatty characters have found each other <3
  • Options
    @mightysprite , yes, (to everyone's surprise) those two get along quite easily XD
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    And here I am with chapter 8.12! (link)

It's time for some more exposure for a couple of characters we barely saw up to now. Without many spoilers, let me just say it was a struggle to write the second half of this chapter :#
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    New chapter!

I like the points that Rowan thinks about in his narrative regarding why it is hard to give up certain energy intensive technology. Even for people who really care about the future of the planet, there are some things which hog a lot of electricity that are meaningful or that serve a purpose that is difficult to change or give up. I like that you don't just make it seem simple, because it really isn't.

And wow. Juno's parents. :angry: That definitely seems like a relationship that has become extremely strained due to very different ideas about what they want vs what Juno wants to do with her life. And finally it has blown up. I wonder how/if they will respond to what she said.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    That was a great chapter, even the hard parts!
    And I wish everyone would take as good care of our earth as these two do <3
  • Options
    Thanks a lot to you both for your comments, as always!

@GlacierSnow
    Energetic transition is a very big topic in my work sector right now (actually, even if the connection isn't immediate, it is also the framework of my current research project), so for me it's quite natural to include topics like the ones Rowan and Juno are covering in their conversations (and also to add some more technical comments about it). Also, who knows, maybe some of those topics may also become more relevant to the plot later on... :#

Juno's parents instead definitively deserved the mad emoticon reaction, they really were horrible in this chapter :angry:

@mightysprite
    If everyone had Rowan and Juno's approach the current perspective would be very different, yup!
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    And chapter 8.13 is now out too! (link)

This was a very weird chapter to write, somehow it was very funny and very sad at the same time...
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    New chapter...

Nooooooo! :cry: Oliver and Alba!

Actually, it happening "off stage" and Rowan finding out about it after his visit made it feel even more sad. Living far away from all of my family members, I really feel that "What I didn't know, however, is that that would be my last chance to talk to them" line.

As for the earlier part of the chapter. The conversation between Rowan and Juno about the robots was interesting, since we get to see it now through the eyes of people (like Juno) who weren't so directly involved.

Also, Juno and Rowan's different reaction to the spicy fun was cute. They are a fun couple.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the comment @GlacierSnow , as always!
    Yes, sadly it's that part of the legacy already ;( Alba and Olivier had Rowan when they were quite old already, and with the messed up age spans in this game, here we are. Also, that sentence was hard to write for me too, it reminded me a bit too much of my grandparents and the fact that in the last 5 years or so I've been away more often than back home, but I decided to keep it anyway because it seemed (sadly) fitting to Rowan's situation.
    However, I know I say this at every generation, but I really think that age spans in this game are totally unbalanced. After this legacy I think I will pass to a story because I don't like playing kids and families enough to start another challenge like this one, but if I ever decided to try again I would definitively use customised age spans this time. I'm really salty for not having managed to have any grandparents in this legacy (if not for one or two sim-days) over the whole legacy, that's unfair :s

Anyway, returning back to the earlier part of the chapter, before the bad news arrived, that's just typical Rowan and Juno for you! They always pass from serious conversation to jokes about spicy food, in general they are a fun couple to write too, yes!
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    Chapter 8.14 is just out! (link)

It's a quite fragmented chapter, with quite important developments nevertheless. What may happen this time?
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    New chapter!

Well, this chapter really is thought provoking. The choices that Juno and Rowan make and the conclusions they come to really reflect their values. They aren't just full of talk, they really try to live what they believe. But by themselves they end up frustrated.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the comment @GlacierSnow , as always!
    Yup, those two are quite idealistic, and don't like hypocrisy either. And writing about them really makes me think a lot too, and feel a bit guilty too, because they're definitively more consistent than I am in anything they decide to do.
    Overall, whenever people talk about environment and climate change, I tend to feel quite frustrated as well, just like Rowan and Juno. There is a good chance they are reflecting quite a bit of my pessimism on this topic, thinking about it...

Anyway, I'm afraid that, approaching the end of this story, thoughts-inducing chapters will become more and more frequent. :#
    2if86miljyb3.png
  • Options
    I loved it <3
    Is it ever hard for you to think of new ways to write relationships, as you go generation after generation into a legacy?
  • Options
    Thanks @mightysprite !

As for your question, actually I've never thought much about it, let's see... Above all, I would say that I'm easily bored when things become too repetitive, so I'm always trying to make each generation different from the previous one. As a consequence, the heirs in this legacy are quite different people to each other, I think, and this is also reflected in the way each of them lives their relationships.
    Oh, and another thing I do a lot is to use the discarded ideas from the previous generations in the later ones. Like: "In this generation, the aspect XXX went way too smoothly, let's do the exact opposite in the next one!" XD
    2if86miljyb3.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top