The Modern Menswear Kit is available now! Picked it up? Head on over to the Screenshot thread to show off your new creations here
December 3rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Occults need more focus - AGAIN

«13
LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
edited September 13 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
We're all saying it. And that's the awful thing.

I know some people really hate Occults. That's okay. But they're being listened to in completely the wrong way. When an Occult first comes out, thatis the first time it arrives in the game, so of course you feel like you're getting a lot of visits from Vampires - they've never even visited before! And yes, visiting every other night is a bit much when it's impossible to wake up in time...

But Occult players are actually in the MAJORITY, from what I've seen. Even those who don't play Occult heavily would rather have the option. If we had perfect realism you would have to choose whether or not to wipe.

Thanks to a handful of really loud people, EA has convinced itself that nobody will buy Occult packs and Sims 4 - with its slightly cartoony style - should be more realistic, when what we want is more DEPTH. So our Occult states are really weak when we know that they could be really strong. Magic users never use Magic, and have very few spells, Vampires and Mermaids rarely visit outside their worlds.

Occults make life deeper too.
Post edited by EA_Cade on
Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.

Comments

  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,595 Member
    EA/Maxis has actually shared the opposite sentiment, quite recently. They know Occults are popular and in demand, and have given us non-confirmation confirmation that more could be in the works. That is, they said as much as they ever CAN say about future plans that are not final, in a recent 411. Let me dig out the actual statement:
    Will there be werewolves, fairies, and zombies in The Sims 4?
    Maybe? Maybe! We definitely hear the occult fans' strong desire for werewolves, faeries, and zombies in The Sims 4. We can’t confirm at this time when they'll make their way into the game but rest assured, we would want to put as much love and thoughtfulness into them as we did for Vampires and Spellcasters. For now, our roadmap continues to be focused on improving content that is in the game. That said, stay tuned and prepare your Sims for a relaxing refresh of one of our existing Game Packs coming up soon!

    (source)

    No - it's not confirmation of coming content, but it is surely confirmation that they are aware of interest. But it is also an admission that as of last month, the Roadmap is focussed on polishing existing content - which has also been much requested. I am optimistic for my occults in the long term, however, myself.

  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 3,280 Member

    Based on recent statements I’m also confident that occult players are being considered.

    If EA/MAXIS decided to refresh Vampires and RoM before releasing more occult packs I won’t be complaining either, especially if they were given similar treatment as was given to Spa Day.
    Werebeasts-v02.jpg
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,022 Member
    Based on recent statements I’m also confident that occult players are being considered.

    If EA/MAXIS decided to refresh Vampires and RoM before releasing more occult packs I won’t be complaining either, especially if they were given similar treatment as was given to Spa Day.

    Good point. If they were to refresh Vampires along similar lines to what they did with Spa Day that might finally push me over the Maybe Fence to finally get it. Vampires, I mean.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
    I'd say they need to polish up the Occults to all be at the same standard. Like Aliens need to be at the standard of Vampires.
    Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I'd say they need to polish up the Occults to all be at the same standard. Like Aliens need to be at the standard of Vampires.

    Agreed, Aliens and Mermaids could do with their own proper habitat in the form of planets and under water lots.
    We should also be able to create Ghosts and assign their cause of death in CAS and plant sims need a heap of work in general if they were ever to be taken seriously in this game. I could imagine them to be some kind of fae in a Fairies pack.
    Werebeasts-v02.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 19,481 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    EA/Maxis has actually shared the opposite sentiment, quite recently. They know Occults are popular and in demand, and have given us non-confirmation confirmation that more could be in the works. That is, they said as much as they ever CAN say about future plans that are not final, in a recent 411. Let me dig out the actual statement:
    Will there be werewolves, fairies, and zombies in The Sims 4?
    Maybe? Maybe! We definitely hear the occult fans' strong desire for werewolves, faeries, and zombies in The Sims 4. We can’t confirm at this time when they'll make their way into the game but rest assured, we would want to put as much love and thoughtfulness into them as we did for Vampires and Spellcasters. For now, our roadmap continues to be focused on improving content that is in the game. That said, stay tuned and prepare your Sims for a relaxing refresh of one of our existing Game Packs coming up soon!

    (source)

    No - it's not confirmation of coming content, but it is surely confirmation that they are aware of interest. But it is also an admission that as of last month, the Roadmap is focussed on polishing existing content - which has also been much requested. I am optimistic for my occults in the long term, however, myself.

    Wings crossed.
    Sithia would like to cross over to TS4 from TS3 with even more fairy powers, not less.
    10-24-17_5-33-42_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

    10-24-17_5-33-26_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

    10-24-17_5-34-07_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Many%20Faces%20of%20Olivia%202.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
    When we say realistic for Occults, we mean Occults that are powerful and dangerous. Magic users' only current power is using Magic.
    Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 300 Member
    I love the occults, vampires being my favorite. When I bought vampires I bought what you advertise. So please don't take away what we paid for, because a few occult haters don't want the gameplay just the cas or build buy. It's not fair to the rest of us. If you must you can give us a refund. After all you're taking away what we paid for. Maybe you can make 3 packs instead of one. A cas pack, a build pack and the full pack we get now. Then if they buy it they have no one to blame but themselves.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 268 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I love the occults, vampires being my favorite. When I bought vampires I bought what you advertise. So please don't take away what we paid for, because a few occult haters don't want the gameplay just the cas or build buy. It's not fair to the rest of us. If you must you can give us a refund. After all you're taking away what we paid for. Maybe you can make 3 packs instead of one. A cas pack, a build pack and the full pack we get now. Then if they buy it they have no one to blame but themselves.

    That’s a god idea, maybe they could make it possible to buy a part of a pack (if you don’t want the gameplay elements). I like that occults get their separate packs (don’t want occults at all in my game, that way you can avoid these features). I would be even happier it I could toggle off Aliens completely. But yeah, it’s about time that occult players get a new pack . I wouldn’t buy it but you don’t need to dig deep to see that fairies & warewolffs are highly requested features.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 300 Member
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I love the occults, vampires being my favorite. When I bought vampires I bought what you advertise. So please don't take away what we paid for, because a few occult haters don't want the gameplay just the cas or build buy. It's not fair to the rest of us. If you must you can give us a refund. After all you're taking away what we paid for. Maybe you can make 3 packs instead of one. A cas pack, a build pack and the full pack we get now. Then if they buy it they have no one to blame but themselves.

    That’s a god idea, maybe they could make it possible to buy a part of a pack (if you don’t want the gameplay elements). I like that occults get their separate packs (don’t want occults at all in my game, that way you can avoid these features). I would be even happier it I could toggle off Aliens completely. But yeah, it’s about time that occult players get a new pack . I wouldn’t buy it but you don’t need to dig deep to see that fairies & warewolffs are highly requested features.
    Is there a reason you don't play with occults? You don't know what your missing. vampires are by far the best pack. So many options. If they had categories for the style we play, Vampires for me would be more then all the other ways added together. LOL, I love that pack.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 268 Member
    edited September 16
    @Behappy1st Hehe I'm just a sucker for realism :)
    Like with Island Living, IL is the only EP I don't own (bc I hate occults lol). They could have made it into 2 different pack instead: Mermaids with depth / perks (as vampires) / a cool livable under water world & Island Living with focus on Conservationist / Beach activites / Resorts. I would have bought the IL EP without the mermaids and maybe occult players would have been more pleased, I can see that mermaids are very underwhelming.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
    EA's clearly fond of having as many Sims packs as possible, it irritates me that they had to condense when it came to Occults.
    Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited September 17
    I know a lot of people enjoy spellcasters but I still can't bring myself to love them. The coolest thing they have is the magic battle. Besides that they feel too much like a regular human sim with a few spells. I wanted them to feel a lot more witch like and individual. Darker and kind of creepy!
    They should have came with a swamp bayou world filled with dead trees.

    I almost can't even see them as an occult. And broom riding as a teleport was disappointing. Familars were a great idea but badly executed. They need more personality and interaction.
    And no anonymous magic use around the worlds makes them boring and once again just like regular humans.

    I guess that's what they were going for hence the name spell casters?

    I want to love aliens too but can't. Their powers are just so blaaaaahhhhhh. They don't even have a ship or a proper place to live. Can't cause any chaos or gather alien armies....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,569 Member
    I would love more occults. Part of me wonders if they are being held at ransom to keep sales on kits and SPs going.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 4,724 Member
    It's so funny how Realism players actually expect Sims 4 to be realistic since it had Rocketships, Ghosts, Grim Reaper, the temporary Plantsim & Cowplant in the Base since September 2014. :D
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 559 Member
    My preference would be a Supernatural EP that enhances existing occult life states while introducing new ones. Of Course, there would be a new “enchanted” world. The BB or CAS items that might appeal to realism players can also be sold as stand alone Stuff Packs. Then there would be no reason to nerf the supernatural gameplay. Maybe the EP could carry a disclaimer “Warning! Contains Supernatural Critters doing Supernatural stuff! Play at your own risk!”
    Dream Wild Moon Child

    Tales From The Myst
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 268 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's so funny how Realism players actually expect Sims 4 to be realistic since it had Rocketships, Ghosts, Grim Reaper, the temporary Plantsim & Cowplant in the Base since September 2014. :D

    Hehe I have tried my best to avoid all the things you listed since 2014 lol 😆
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,165 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's so funny how Realism players actually expect Sims 4 to be realistic since it had Rocketships, Ghosts, Grim Reaper, the temporary Plantsim & Cowplant in the Base since September 2014. :D

    That's... not the same thing. There's a difference between an alternate "Life state" and conventions in the series, like Grim or the Cowplant.
    Heck, the Rocket Ship isn't that bad anyway. Anyone that played Sims 2 remember that you became a Superhero, complete with superpowers, at the top level of the Law career.

    As I said, expected conventions.

    I don't play with Supernaturals often, but I can understand those who want equal quality content for all we already have to begin with, and then we can add new ones after that.

    The Vampires and Wizards are top notch. The Mermaid? Eh. The Alien? Absolutely pointless, and that's most likely because they were introduced so early.
    Heck, the whole "Alien Bar Night" and "Disguises nobody cares about" are so bad. The Aliens really need an overhaul. Imagine them having a skill tree like Vampires, but instead of the risk of burning to a crisp in the sun the goal is to never be revealed as an Alien?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,165 Member
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's so funny how Realism players actually expect Sims 4 to be realistic since it had Rocketships, Ghosts, Grim Reaper, the temporary Plantsim & Cowplant in the Base since September 2014. :D

    Hehe I have tried my best to avoid all the things you listed since 2014 lol 😆

    For the longest time I wanted a switch to turn off ghosts. These days mass deaths are not as common, however...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 4,724 Member
    I still so much want my Fairies & Werewolves in Sims 4. Please devs bring them back, pretty please.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,125 Member
    Not holding my breath for an occult pack but I would love to have werewolves or fairies.

    My biggest request for aliens would be to cure the face-melting. How some aliens have face-changes when they age up to adult.

    Love my mermaids, if they got something interesting I would like it.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
    Aliens need a solid brush-up, they've been left for so long.

    Magic was always a cross between OPed and bland.

    It really doesn't feel fair to me that the only Occult with any substance is Vampires - and yet they were done so brilliantly. What's so special about vampires? So many people want good Occults. The people who prefer realism are being pandered to - we want more in the game, not less.

    When it comes to Nerfing, one must remember that Sims 4 is not a multiplayer game. It's you fighting you.
    Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,807 Member
    My biggest thing is I wish spell casters were more out there.

    For my story, magic is the very essence of my World.

    What I really would love more Magic Social and Club interactions, I'm still disappointed that "Casting Spells" was placed under the Mischief & Mayhem Category, because that not what I wanted for my Mages Club. I wanted to create a club, where my sims Focused on magical studies and how they could use it to advance and manipulate the world around them.

    I was hoping magic would be a tool for spell casters to autonomously be more efficient at doing things.
    I felt like Magic was suppose to taking things to the next level, not just add alternatives to doing things.

    and then I think magic should be a Like/Dislike.

    I just wanted to see spell caster to be more natural and liberal with their magic.

    Spellcaster who love magic would automatically use their power to do their tasks, rather than doing them manually like average mortals.
    and mortals can love magic too, and then Spellcasters could have positive social interactions with sims outside of the Magic community, with humans who enjoy magic, and even flex their magical powers for them.

    Spellcasters who dislike magic, won't automatically use their powers, and view magic negatively and Humans will too.

    also a "Floralorial All" - Interaction would have been a marvelous spell. especially if you run a farm, and its hot, and it's not going to rain for days,
    if my Spellcaster was able to Cast Floralorial over all Plants on the lot at once! <3
    Especially if my Sim loves to Garden using magic to take care of the garden would be cool to see if they did it out of their own will.
    Realm of Magic:

    My Mood:

    tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,440 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    We're all saying it. And that's the awful thing.

    I know some people really hate Occults. That's okay. But they're being listened to in completely the wrong way. When an Occult first comes out, thatis the first time it arrives in the game, so of course you feel like you're getting a lot of visits from Vampires - they've never even visited before! And yes, visiting every other night is a bit much when it's impossible to wake up in time...

    But Occult players are actually in the MAJORITY, from what I've seen. Even those who don't play Occult heavily would rather have the option. If we had perfect realism you would have to choose whether or not to wipe.

    Thanks to a handful of really loud people, EA has convinced itself that nobody will buy Occult packs and Sims 4 - with its slightly cartoony style - should be more realistic, when what we want is more DEPTH. So our Occult states are really weak when we know that they could be really strong. Magic users never use Magic, and have very few spells, Vampires and Mermaids rarely visit outside their worlds.

    Occults make life deeper too.

    No instead they appease the Gamechangers and others who are anti-occult and very vocal about it. Giving us fantasy farming and cottage core instead. Which I would have liked more if they had it in Australia with Australia's Outback and the Aborigines and or Native Americans. Which would I don't know actually added more diversity to the game. Instead, we got "county side" England and nothing utterly British like Tea Time, Eastlanders, Monty Python, Mr Bean, Dr Who etc. added to the game.

    There really need to talk to Enchantments in NYC and Pans Apothcary formally known as Panpipes for information because there are some of out there familiar with the myths and for help creating occults to make them less disappointing and lame. I'd be more impressed if they binged watched Supernatural and used that as a base for our needed beloved occults both present and future.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 3,845 Member
    It looks like some kind of rural countryside (and it is very nice to look at) but since Sims doesn't actually take place on Earth, it's not England. Therefore it's not diversity, it's stereotypes.
    Just because I bought most of the Packs at full price doesn't mean I don't know when I'm being ripped off, especially now that I can't buy Bundles.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top