Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do Occult Simmers Need to be More Vocal in Demanding Content

GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
edited August 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Considering the last proper occult pack was Realm of Magic, back in 2019, and since then the only occult content we've been given was a single stuff pack, whilst it feels as if other types of simmers have gotten the bulk of attention, do occult simmers need to start getting more vocal in demanding more occult life states and gameplay?
Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Do Occult Simmers Need to be More Vocal in Demanding Content 102 votes

Heck yeah, count me in! I'm sick of feeling ignored. When do we riot for more content?!
44% 45 votes
If it helps, but we don't want to be too pushy & cause a backlash, because we might not get more content that way
12% 13 votes
Eh, I'm sure EA will get round to another occult pack eventually, we just have to be patient
15% 16 votes
I'm not a fan of occults, but would like to see more content for occult simmers & would support a demand for such
5% 6 votes
No, occults are a niche aspect of Sims gameplay & EA shouldn't be forced to give into a minority of simmers
3% 4 votes
OMG you guys are so annoying, just be happy with what you've been given!
5% 6 votes
Other (feel free to explain in comments)
11% 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    As much as I love TS4 and as much as I love occults and fantasy, I don't care to be vocal about wanting more occults. If I get what I want later on down the line, sweet, if not, whatever. I'm having a lot of fun with spellcasters at the moment anyway, I should really play with the Vampires pack more though. I'm in agreement with @Thrior's points about playstyles, looking at the pack properly and in as much depth as is possible. Also yes, including a toggle on/off for specific occults is a brilliant idea so each player can toggle it to fit their stories or their preferences.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Alexa, play "Riot" by Three Days Grace.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm almost afraid of asking for or getting any more occult (like proper playable fairies), because I might get it and then its perfect and then someone will complain that its too much and it will get nerfed.

Many of the things they've added have made sims into a bore-fest. I mean...laundry (got the pack for CAS and the rest of the BB) and vacuuming (probably the only kit I won't get, depending on what comes in the future)...? No thanks, I do that enough in my real life, don't need it in a game. I need a game where I can escape my life, with illness and mundane tasks, and that's what occult play will do.

Don't think I have the energy to riot, but I also won't sit quietly in a corner anymore. In the meantime, I'll continue playing my vampires, as they are at least still worth playing.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think the devs know that ppl want more occults but they might have other data on how many ppl actually use it because the people on the forums, Twitter or other social media are a small portion of ppl that play the game and buy the packs. So that's what I think. I don't actually know the percentage of players that play occults but it might be lower than everyone thinks.

It's the same as when a dev said most ppl play with households with 1 or 2 sims. Which is probably why there is not much family gameplay or stuff for children to do. I'm thinking not much ppl play with the younger life states and it's even lower for elders.

But you could also argue that if there was more occults or more stuff for younger ages to do then ppl will play with them more. But it's hard for them to justify making a pack if it doesn't sell as much.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes, I'd love more occult content. I enjoy the escapism of the weird and fantastic elements, bring it on!
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I don't particularly like occults, but I do usually like the build/buy stuff that comes with. I'd love to have more occults and I do think occult players need to be more vocal.
    Thrior wrote: »
    Realism players seem to be very vocal and kind of give this image as if the community is very anti-occult when, in my experience, it's not truly the case at all. Occult lovers meanwhile aren't that vocal since it's not like we're going to demand realistic elements to be be nerfed or removed because we like some fantastical aspects. Therefore, because of this disparity which can easily give the wrong message, I say maybe it's time to be more vocal. So let's riot.

I don't think this is true. Occult players are probably a small player type. Maxis has tons of data on how people play this game. What we get is based on how often people beg for things on social media and based on the data they track from our play sessions. If you're an occult player with data collection turned off, you're doing yourself a disservice because your play data is ignored.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Honestly id rather priority be focused on fixing the current occult bugs instead (alien face genetics resetting upon age up!!), but of course Im always open to more occult content.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It’s sad it’s got to this point that this is even a question. Occult players should not have to do this. As someone who rarely plays occults I feel I am in the realism minority of not being fussed about occult stuff (in a good way) when it comes out. Occult gameplay has been in the game since sims 1 and makin’ magic so it’s a big part of the game and sims 4 has so little of it. I hate seeing other realism sim players screeching about occults as everyone has different play styles and occults are a big part of the game. It may not be my playstyle but the game needs more of it and to me this is on the level of pets/seasons/fame etc where it’s a must have in the game.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I turned on the data sharing in my game for this very reason. I want Maxis to see that yes, I am playing with mermaids who are populating Sulani with well-raised kids, spellcasters who are starting massive gardens and farms, and vampires who struggle to figure out how to pay the bills in their massive mansion while raising children and finding plasma donors. Occult play doesn’t necessarily mean that I can’t also have family gameplay; I have plenty of spellcasters who just have magic but don’t really delve into it, but it’s part of their heritage and I don’t want to give it up. I want werewolves so I can have rival vampire and werewolf families whose kids have a Romeo and Juliet love story.

Even the dust kit has the dust bunnies that can turn evil - the game has tons of quirkiness that goes beyond realism, and that quirkiness has always been part of the charm. Go have a baby at a hospital? Prepare to watch see your heart get pulled out and a robot operated by a doctor glue you together. Want to work from home as a botanist? Half of your assignments require you to feed sims to a sentient plant. Have an easel and no formal art training? Prepare to be a millionaire via Plopsy. Maybe it’s just because the people who are content to play the game as it is aren’t on the forums and Twitter asking for different, but I’m amazed at how many people seem to actively dislike this version of the game while continuing to purchase new content for it.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2021
    Ever hear the saying “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”? Whether you like occult’s or something else it never hurts to be vocal about it. If EA thinks they are going to get a lot of sales for a pack, they are more likely to make it. I’m not really an occult player, but I buy all packs anyway, snd sometimes the occult packs have build buy stuff I can’t find in other packs ( like bramble vines crawling up the wall ) that I love using in some builds. The more sales they make off of an occult pack, the more likely they are to bring out another, the same goes for more realistic play as well. I have to say, I’m really looking forward to body hair, which will most likely come with werewolves.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited August 2021
    I love my occult sims but I don't play them every day. Often they are the sims that my main sims interact with, the things that would go bump in the night unless they had been nerfed <--- vampires!!

Sometimes I play an occult main sim for a story but quite often I play a regular sim on the fringe of the occult. Hmm... believing that my spellcaster is living in a world in which that is supported is not easy because it is hidden away so much by design. So my gameplay adapted to spellcasters, mermaids and others being somewhat secretive about their occult ways.

It is possible that me seldom using occult sims as main sims due to them feeling so "alone" in the regular world is then interpreted as occult sims having little value to my game. Who knows. I try to make the best of things and mod my game to help the stories that I am currently playing.

Edit: Don't know if there are enough occult-players to get attention by waving around with pitchforks.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I love the occult, and it was always nice to get them in previous games, and in Sims 4.
    I feel that we do push to be heard when they take things out of packs, like alien abduction, but we also tend to get buried under other complaints.
    So, not to sound petty, but I want what came with my occult packs, and I want werewolves back, along with fairies, some dragons, and maybe new occults. They were in previous games like the Sims 2 where players could seek out the occults, and even thought Vampires were in another pack, Sims 3 had the supernatural pack.
    I like that I can create an occult Sim in CAS, and most of my Sims fall under the occult, with very few normal Sims.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2021
    Honestly every single time I see someone demand for occult content to be nerfed in an occult pack (because apparently that makes sense) I want to just demand for random non-occult things in packs to get nerfed too. Nerf the festivals. Nerf the kids asking their parents for advice. Nerf the cats and dogs. Nerf the chickens. Nerf jungle exploring. Nerf holidays. Just nerf everything that is getting in the way of my occult shenanigans. Seems pretty fair if you ask me! :|
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I didn’t even want to play for the first 4 years waiting for Seasons to come out. With that in mind, I don’t think it’s been too long for occult players, and I do count the stuff pack from 7 months ago. I really don’t mind when they come out with more occults because unless it’s fairies, I’m probably not going to buy it, and that’s less money I’m tempted to spend. But I know what it’s like to feel you’re in a content drought so I do hope they meet your needs soon.
    Everything seems to take forever in Sims 4 because the packs don’t have nearly as much content as they did in earlier Sims games.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2021
    I do find it kind of strange how the riots mostly come from the realism side :lol:

and how some of the wants eventually get noted and added while occult side keeps being ignored :/

but eh. idk
    i don't really like being noisy to the point annoying

but if thats what one must do to get dragons werewolves fairies and improvements(+bug fixes) to existing occults then

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    *chandelier falls down from the ceiling*

i mean at very least since they made this lot challenge thing they should add vampire break ins and alien abductions there instead of nerfing it. also they could nerf bugs if they want to nerf things so much.
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Any riot, protest, or complaining that occurs on the forum is meaningless. It will only matter if you do it on Twitter. Take your energy there; no one is home here. Occasionally the gardener stops by, but that's it.

• Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    There isn't a enough occult life states in this game and I usually play with a lot of fantasy sims

I'm surprised fairies and werewolves are still not here yet and it gets pretty boring sometimes to just do realism only stuff (if you like that stuff it's totally okay!)

My kinda play style is "weird fantasy sims doing totally normal things" I just kinda miss that feeling sometimes

I do have packs that do introduce new life states but it isn't enough
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am confident that Maxis is aware of the interest.

Also, as an avid, but picky, occult player, I like the game pack treatment delivering them individually.

I enjoy my Spellcasters. I very much don't care for vampires, and need not buy them. I am hopeful of werewolves, less so of fairies.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited August 2021
    I loved occults in previous versions. If I thought that begging, demanding, or pleading would get more occults, specifically well fleshed-out occults, I'd say yes. EA's motto for Sims 4 seems to be "We'll get to it when we get to it. Or not."
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    The last data I can find from a guru regarding whether occults are popular or not was the last stuff pack vote, where Happy Haunts was a very close second.
    Previously the information I find is from a Simguru listing the most played packs in the first year of their release. In game packs, vampires was second to parenthood, with Dine Out being third.

The majority may not play Occults but from the little evidence we have it seems that Occult players do make up a large part of the players. Throwing them a bone once every two years isn't good enough. I might have my favourite, but what about the next player, who is waiting 8 years to get their favourite?
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    laundry (got the pack for CAS and the rest of the BB) and vacuuming (probably the only kit I won't get, depending on what comes in the future)...? No thanks, I do that enough in my real life, don't need it in a game.

No thanks, I avoid that enough in my real life, don't need to try to avoid it in a game :grimace:

I like occults and realism both. I am not an occult partisan, and I don't think occults are oppressed or anything, but I always love to see more weird things in general. Occults are weird things. I like my spellcasters, I wish I could see aliens and plantsims more often, and one day I'll probably buy vampires and mermaids (haven't yet).

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    We didn't have to riot for toddlers so there are other ways to get heard. Just have to be consistent with asking and be nice about it if you can. I mean we got a farm pack thanks to customer demand, so demand isn't always a bad thing. It keeps the Sims 4 going. I do like a bit of realistic and fantasy with the Sims. I do know there are quite a number of Gurus that are occult fans, so there is hope with that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller