Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do Occult Simmers Need to be More Vocal in Demanding Content

13...Next

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    We didn't have to riot for toddlers so there are other ways to get heard. Just have to be consistent with asking and be nice about it if you can. I mean we got a farm pack thanks to customer demand, so demand isn't always a bad thing. It keeps the Sims 4 going. I do like a bit of realistic and fantasy with the Sims. I do know there are quite a number of Gurus that are occult fans, so there is hope with that.

There was quite an uproar with people wanting toddlers. I remember how upset people were when ‘Get Together’ came out, and they were expecting toddlers…… now because of the usefulness of the club system and the beautiful world in ‘Get Together’ , it is seen as quite a popular pack, but many people were very angry that wanted toddlers back then. I wanted them too, the same as I want real babies so badly now, but, I don’t get angry ( maybe disappointed ), when something other than I want comes out. I usually find something in each pack or big update that is useful to me.

I hope they fix plants reverting though….. that causes me lots of problems.
    Yeah working on getting that fixed talking with the Gurus about it and trying to let the QA Gurus especially know about it which is actually a different team than those that work on the packs themselves. I found out the marketing team is different from the Gurus too which was interesting. I think it helps knowing who to talk to especially the team they work on to get things done. Thankfully I hung out the EA silence on toddler threads, people kept coming in to derail the thread to get it closed that claimed to be realism players, so why I take the label with a grain of salt. Why I don't go for the realism vs. fantasy idea myself because both playstyles tend to overlap a lot. Not everything fantasy is occult. I mean there are some people that prefer dressing up in animal outfits which I relate to werewolves of transforming oneself into an animal. Roleplaying is big in the Sims community especially for content creators, so of course I see the game changers dress up in their favorite occult. Roleplaying is roleplaying whether it is in costume or not. Journey to Batuu proved that costumes well don't sell as well as the occult counterpart. So sales are very telling on which themes are more popular and well besides the latest EP, realism packs really haven't been that popular. The roleplaying/occult packs are. Sales speak louder than assumptions. Now mix both well and yep they attract more players that are interested in both. Sims 4 well just hasn't done well at mixing both well so far. Why there is always this push and pull of realism and fantasy players, the formula of both hasn't been done really well yet. But yeah rioting doesn't get content, conversations do. sparkfairy had many conversations with the Gurus about toddlers and thanks to her leadership we got them.

Well, like I mentioned I buy all the packs. There are always things I find in the occult packs I like, even though I don’t normally play occult’s. I think they did the ‘Get to Work’ aliens pretty well, but they didn’t even let us build on sixam, or give us any special build buy things for them, I probably would play a family of aliens if they had. The ‘fake’ aliens on Batuu don’t bother me because I look at it as more of a theme park with workers wearing costumes there. But, for those who would like real aliens with the pack ( like my daughter was hoping there would be ), it is sad. The thing that bothers me about Batuu is that they could have at least added an actual hotel there where our sims could actually spend the night, and added a couple of lots were we could build and put a restaurant and or a lounge or nightclub there for vacationers also.

I’m kind of surprised that the realism packs don’t sell well, I would figure EA would have the Dev’s mostly making packs that were most requested, and it seems like there are a lot of realism players, but it also seems like there are a lot that like to play occult’s too. I think you are right the mix is not quite there in the sims 4. I believe they should have made toggles for occult’s/fantasy etc. right from the start, I think more realism players would have bought the packs. Like you mentioned, some like to play both, but perhaps in different saves.
    Yeah options are always nice and agree for different save files. I do enjoy Batuu more having Get to Work, but yes it is exactly a theme park representation. I remember some of the Gurus actually visited Disneyland with the new Star Wars land a few years ago, so they were probably doing research then. I do think we have to be very specific with our requests otherwise giving a blank statement of I want theme parks we are going to well get Journey of Batuu. I personally don't mind the pack, but yes I do know it was the least well received pack and generally the vacation worlds don't pan out well. Kippsidaisy was saying the other day how she would love to live on vacation worlds, but also have vacation worlds in residential worlds too, so I think even world design needs a lot of work especially as more and more transportation gets introduced. It has been nice knowing that game changers can be at times critical about things that can be improved with the game too. I do think a lot has been done for realistic play, but a lot more needs to be done and even more so for fantasy style too. Thing is, Sims 4 is seven years in and I don't know if it is a little too late to get everything done. What worries me is with the CEO talking about Sims 5 being MMO style and with Sims and EA and other MMOs being even more bug ridden than their single player counterparts with the Sims 4 having the reputation being as bug ridden as it is now, doesn't bode well with a future reputation of a Sims Online sequel. Part of me wonders if they should just do away with the DLCs and just provide different Sims games again like MySims, Urbz, the Sims Online, and the Sims offline for Maxis again so that there is plenty of different styles of games for everyone.

@Arca thanks for sharing the occults shown in anime. My brother enjoys anime, so he is always talking about how it has supernaturals and talking animals in it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    Monet11 wrote: »
    Any riot, protest, or complaining that occurs on the forum is meaningless. It will only matter if you do it on Twitter. Take your energy there; no one is home here. Occasionally the gardener stops by, but that's it.
    Twitter isn't the only place to get heard. If anything it is easily gets overridden with fighting there. So no, I will avoid that toxic cesspool of teenagers and baby boomers.

No, Twitter isn't the only place to be heard. It's my opinion that the forums are the least impactful arena to create a ripple, that's all. The engagement is higher in other arenas, including Twitter. By the way, I agree with you that it is a toxic cesspool. I only suggested it because I don't want to have the forums flooded with another occult/realism conniption fit, from both sides, over who should get the next new goodies. The last one was more than enough for me.

For what it's worth, I actually believe Gordy is right. I would include a few other game changers in with it, but those millions of followers have weight.
    True I do agree with you on that. Sparkfairy had to go on Twitter sadly to get heard. I actually like the surveys they do which I think has a bigger impact and Twitch and discord seem to be good areas to talk about the Sims in a safer environment too. LOL I get you on that. I get tired of the sides debates with everything too. It is sad there is only like four game changers that get mentioned by Maxis when their pool of game changers is so much more than that. I heard they have like a small elite group they favor more than other game changers too so that doesn't help showing favoritism to only a select few popular ones. I think there is an issue how marketing and well bug reporting is handled by EA. They really need to modernize their business to this turn of the century instead of using the same business practices of 25 years ago. Even bug reporting for playtesting can be frustrating at times.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2021
    Yes, people should be more vocal and get the gamechangers to insist for once about something like gameplay instead of shelves. But no, not enough to riot over a silly game are you kidding? lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Also Last time we got an occult, they got nerfed to high Heaven I don't want that happening again and I want all the Nerfs undone!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • VeganisinizVeganisiniz Posts: 51 Member
    Yeah, I'm desperate for zombies, fairies, and werewolves.

Also, nice name OP, I have the song stuck in my head now, lol.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Honestly I'm starting to think I'll just have to find another game for my fantasy needs. Or build one.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I think so, considering anytime something new with occults comes out, the realistic players come in to get it nuked. I'm not much of a supernatural player myself but I do love that, that feature is there in case i ever want to step outside the box and do something different.
    giphy.gif

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

I’m going to open up a Twitter account and start my own YouTube channel just to get this occult riot going.
    I will also set up a petition:
    Give us Werewolves. They are People too. With bodyhair.

I’m planning on filling out a bug report: MY GAME HAS BEEN BUGGED FOR 7 LONG YEARS BY A SEVERE LACK OF OCCULTS. And you all better hit the ME TOO button. This bug needs fixin’.

What should I do to become a You Tube Gamechanger Celebrity? I can’t pretend to be a 12 year old girl but I sure can roar. Is that all then?

If all fails I will dress up as a Zombie Fairy Werewolf and I shall torment the producers at Maxis every full moon from now on until we get something substantial and meaningful for us occult players. If I get thrown into a zoo because of it that’s grand. It’s all for the greater good. I prefer animals to people anyway. As long as they put me with the meerkats.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Yes, people should be more vocal and get the gamechangers to insist for once about something like gameplay instead of shelves. But no, not enough to riot over a silly game are you kidding? lol

Of course I was kidding about literally rioting over a game. It was a touch of tongue in cheek hyperbole. Having said that though I have noticed, not necessarily on here, but on places like Twitter, Reddit and YouTube that 'realism' players do seem to be a lot more vocal in demanding what they want, whereas occult players are more likely to not be as vocal, or to ask politely and just wait for something to eventuate. And even when we do get something, there's the risk that the more vocal players will end up complaining enough for an occult to be nerfed eventually. So yes I do think we do need to be more vocal, to let EA know that we spend money on the game too, that occult players can be just as dedicated to realism in the game as anyone else (it doesn't have to be either/or), and that providing occult players with content can be a good marketing decision in terms of money for the company. But literally rioting over a game? Of course not, call it more an expression of frustration than an actual call to riot.

Haha, thanks, so far you're the only one I think who's gotten the reference. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpv0fQW4YU

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    I chose the option "other".

I'll hit the nail on the head here - EA will do exactly what earns them money. They'll continue to pump out packs that generate profit.

However, we have seen the community of simmers demand certain things and get it (after A LOT of effort). Better skintones, hair updates, adding group cooking/gardening as base-game updates, somewhat improved traits which is all fantastic. I hope to see more updates like this in the future! Simmers wanted farming for so long, and along with the recent trend in "cottagecore aesthetic" EA took notice and made a pack that would generate profit.

So, if simmers really want that sweet occult pack, we have to show EA just that. That there's a high demand of simmers who want it, who are interesting in seeing that in their gameplay and are willing to pay for it then they might just make it happen.

But of course let's be polite about making such demands. :)
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited August 2021
    I can't see how we can get much louder. But I'm sick of waiting.

I understand that some people don't want occult effects. But that's why occult effects come in separate packs! That's why we need on-off switches for occults, but it's also worth noting that the people who absolutely don't want occults and hate them are in the minority. This minority always manages to get Occults nerfed, or for magical powers to be made much weaker.

"I hate magic! I wish the wizards in my Realm of Magic pack never used magic and their spells were dull and useless!"

One update later...

"Well, everybody knows Occults are dull and useless in Sims 4!"
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @Loanet

A problem stems from the occult pack being tied to a specific type of furniture style. Like to get Victorian style, you must own the vampire pack. The occult should never be the only way to get that furnishing style. I love playing with Victorian and Edwardian era sims, but have to delete/mod out vampires to just use the furniture. For some reason, the game respawns occult sims when you attempt to rid them from your entire save file even with mods. As for the spellcaster sims, many just were upset that unplayed normal npc sims like Bella Goth all the sudden used magic OUTSIDE the magic realm and became spellcasters. Personally, I attempt to mod all the occults to only interact with occult-type sims.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    IMO making occults into separate packs is a good thing. Realism players can play the game without having to deal with occults, and occult players can get better packs with occults that are fully fleshed out and have depth.

But it’s weird when the devs justify the lack off elements in the game by telling that players mostly play with 1-2 adult Sims. Yeah of course you don’t play with occults / babies / kids / teens / middle aged / elders if the gameplay for these are non-existent or shallow. BTW I’m a realism player and don’t want occults in my game. But I support that occult players get separate and awesome packs.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I like the game pack treatment for individual life states - that way I can have my Spellcasters without Vampires or vice versa. And if the recent 411 is any indication, that is just how the team is approaching (unconfirmed) future entries for Werewolves, Fairies and possibly Zombies.

But also, I think that 411 definitively answers whether Maxis is aware of the demand. They never mention possibly pending future content that is hovering out there in the conceptual realm, but not in development. They were careful not to confirm these now. But merely mentioning future occult packs as a "maybe" is in fact a strong indication that yes, they are aware and probably already have a place boxed out for them in their internal development plans - they simply aren't promising a when.
  • QuasiattractorQuasiattractor Posts: 17 Member
    Just an occult side comment. I was playing with some students in the dorm when in slunk Vladislaus from the elevator, looking for a lovely neck to bite. He stopped short, turned and slid into the laundry room where the dryer had just stopped its cycle. He opened the dryer, removed the clothing, all stacked neatly on the palm of his hand as he proceeded to slink, unencumbered hand out gracefully in front, into the rec room where he deftly dropped the clothes and proceeded to dance to the radio that was playing nearby. It was so funny, and I didn't get a chance to save the screen. Darn!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Of course I was kidding about literally rioting over a game. It was a touch of tongue in cheek hyperbole. Having said that though I have noticed, not necessarily on here, but on places like Twitter, Reddit and YouTube that 'realism' players do seem to be a lot more vocal in demanding what they want, whereas occult players are more likely to not be as vocal, or to ask politely and just wait for something to eventuate. And even when we do get something, there's the risk that the more vocal players will end up complaining enough for an occult to be nerfed eventually. So yes I do think we do need to be more vocal, to let EA know that we spend money on the game too, that occult players can be just as dedicated to realism in the game as anyone else (it doesn't have to be either/or), and that providing occult players with content can be a good marketing decision in terms of money for the company. But literally rioting over a game? Of course not, call it more an expression of frustration than an actual call to riot.

Haha, thanks, so far you're the only one I think who's gotten the reference. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpv0fQW4YU

I wish we had Dave Vanian's hair in the game. I adore The 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and think of Phantasmagoria every time I see you post, lol.

I'm ready to riot. I'm so sick of not only the nerfing requests, but also the cockamamie comparisons of every Occult to some kind of assault. Vampires are a huge part of the horror genre, they're not supposed to sparkle and stare lovingly at you. They do what they want, they're powerful and immortal, that's the entire point. And Aliens are sci-fi pop culture where urban legends tell tales of abductions in the middle of the night and weird pains and symptoms afterwards. It's all just delicious fiction and if some people can't tell the difference then they've got some personal issues and should probably go play a game they can handle.

Nerf Herders can bite me. But you can be sure I'll bite back. 😈
    #Team Occult
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I am sure EA will get around to it eventually, so I am gonna be patient for My Werewolves, Fairies, & Zombies, since they are possibly being made as we speak, :)
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    @LiELF Dave Vanian hair would be amazing! D@mned for life here too as well, just love them as a band. I live in Australia so I've only gotten to see them in concert twice, but I've had the extreme pleasure of meeting Dave both those times & he is honestly one of the nicest people you could wish to meet, total gentleman.

And yes the occults=assaults and therefore should be nerfed to high heavens is definitely a peeve of mine as well.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    As for the spellcaster sims, many just were upset that unplayed normal npc sims like Bella Goth all the sudden used magic OUTSIDE the magic realm and became spellcasters. Personally, I attempt to mod all the occults to only interact with occult-type sims.
    But Spellcasters couldn't use magic outside the Realm, IIRC. The only ways they could were through clubs and actively ordering them to use spells. They don't even know magic unless you specifically make them learn spells. The whole "my sim was converted into a spellcaster" issue never made sense to me, since they were exactly the same as a regular sim. The only immersion breaking element would be when they just appear in the Magic Realm, where they'd proceed to do....nothing.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited August 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    As for the spellcaster sims, many just were upset that unplayed normal npc sims like Bella Goth all the sudden used magic OUTSIDE the magic realm and became spellcasters. Personally, I attempt to mod all the occults to only interact with occult-type sims.
    But Spellcasters couldn't use magic outside the Realm, IIRC. The only ways they could were through clubs and actively ordering them to use spells. They don't even know magic unless you specifically make them learn spells. The whole "my sim was converted into a spellcaster" issue never made sense to me, since they were exactly the same as a regular sim. The only immersion breaking element would be when they just appear in the Magic Realm, where they'd proceed to do....nothing.

Actually, initially you could run into regular NPC when you were IN the magic realm and that is what people DID NOT like or want. When that pack launched, regular townie sims were populating the magic realm at a high rate. The game did not produce only "not in world" sims to populate it. It then had "changed" all npc sims who ever visited the magic realm just changed spell casters. I thi no I remember they had to tweek a fix so that did not happen.