Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whim Update!

Comments

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This is the worst implementation of this system so far! It does not hold a candle to its "equivalent" in previous generations. If they really plan on keeping this game going for years to come then there is a chance for an overhaul at least.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Why would devs fix anything? There are so many talented modders out there who love the game and who seek to make it better because of that love. Do you honestly expect developers to expend time and resources on something that someone is already fixing? FOR FREE?! PFFFF. THIS is why I'd rather donate money to modders than buy some new kit. Looking at you, oasis kit. As if I can't build oasis already, gimme a break...
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited May 2021
    I just don't understand how this team continues to prioritize content like star wars, snow sports and haunted houses over features present in the game that are quite literally unfinished. People paid for whims when they purchased the game, and it's a broken, unfinished mess of a feature. How can they possibly be proud of that?

Edit: I will say, in the stream they did mention how they opened up more recourses for base game additions, followed by "we hope you the community have taken notice, especially with the recent base game additions," and I will say yes I have noticed the recent trend of more substantial/highly requested additions lately. Skin tone overhaul, scared emotions, sentiments, bunk beds, more hair colours, sectional seating, a mysterious new trait slot, they do seem to listen, it's just frustrating that after the game being out for so long that their priorities are still not in the right places.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've been playing with wants/wishes since sims 2. It's my playstyle. I hate that they gave up on whims in sims 4 and have only restarted playing 4 because of a combination of mods that allow me to play my favourite playstyle. I really hope they revisit whims. Otherwisr im dependent in the availability and generosity of modders to play.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I've been playing with wants/wishes since sims 2. It's my playstyle. I hate that they gave up on whims in sims 4 and have only restarted playing 4 because of a combination of mods that allow me to play my favourite playstyle. I really hope they revisit whims. Otherwisr im dependent in the availability and generosity of modders to play.

also its not fair to ps players
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    I don't mean this in a malicious way, but simmers have problems with whims? I've thought they were decently relevant.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Whims need updating. The current ones are basic, like cook something or kiss someone. Wants/fears were great, that would upgrade current system.
  • Options
    I don't mean this in a malicious way, but simmers have problems with whims? I've thought they were decently relevant.

They are not relevant enough without mods. They are mostly random and not enough in quantity considering they simply stop updating them years ago.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I feel like the devs are actively eliminating any autonomous actions and events that the game can throw at you. They've said multiple times they want us to be in complete control of the game. Every single sim, every aspect of the world - nothing happens without us making it happen. [...]

I wish that was true! As a controling player, I feel like the opposite is gradually happening to the game. First they added sims getting jobs on their own (and I'm pretty sure that includes played sims, since I have "skip played sims" ticked in MCCC for the job feature). Then they allow played sims make potentially character breaking phone calls ("come visit your dear mom already" and "you were in a fight! bad sim!") and those with story progression features ("should i have a baby") with no way to disable them or restrict them to unplayeds only. Sentiments take that system even further to an off putting degree.
    There are also numerous actions that run autonomously with free will off (share big news, scold toddler in high chair, run up to parents after the monster appeares, watch soccer and many more).

Overhauled or even just a few added whims would have been easy, would have been save. They'd given those who want to follow goals new ones and those who want to play their own way could simply ignore them (or use them as point farms that say nothing about the sim's character, like I do).
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited May 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    I just don't understand how this team continues to prioritize content like star wars, snow sports and haunted houses over features present in the game that are quite literally unfinished. People paid for whims when they purchased the game, and it's a broken, unfinished mess of a feature. How can they possibly be proud of that?

Edit: I will say, in the stream they did mention how they opened up more recourses for base game additions, followed by "we hope you the community have taken notice, especially with the recent base game additions," and I will say yes I have noticed the recent trend of more substantial/highly requested additions lately. Skin tone overhaul, scared emotions, sentiments, bunk beds, more hair colours, sectional seating, a mysterious new trait slot, they do seem to listen, it's just frustrating that after the game being out for so long that their priorities are still not in the right places.

I don't have those in my game, did that come in this month's patch?

I saw them mention the hair colors coming, but when I checked I still had the same original colors.

I also didn't have any options for sectional seating, although I saw the speculation for it coming.

And I did watch the stream yesterday and they pointed out the new trait slot, but never went into detail of what it is or when it's coming.

• Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I feel like the devs are actively eliminating any autonomous actions and events that the game can throw at you. They've said multiple times they want us to be in complete control of the game. Every single sim, every aspect of the world - nothing happens without us making it happen. Look at rotational play. Nothing happens to sims while we leave them alone - the crops in their garden don't even grow. There is no story progression. Whims are disabled by default and are bad anyway, basically just advertising the gameplay objects that came with packs we bought. There are no TS3-style opportunities, which I am a massive advocate for. Opportunities simply give you the option of taking on a task, improving a skill, crafting an object, meeting new sims etc - it doesn't force anything on you that you don't want. But the game doesn't even provide you with an option to be influenced. Pretty much the only way to make the world and sims around you do anything autonomously is to create a dozen highly specific clubs.

Ultimately, this just makes the world, sims and overall game static and dead. If you can't figure out what to do next, just create a new save file and do it all again.

I don't want to be in complete control of game, I need game to throw some surprises my way.
  • Options
    readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2021
    I actually really like whims. Sure, I find it annoying when all of my sims want a bee box in the summertime and then want to bond with said bees, but overall, it really drives my gameplay. I like knowing what my sims want, and it encourages me to try different areas of the game. Otherwise, I get into a routine that quickly spirals into a rut.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I could be wrong but I think it's going to be replaced with a better system in the future. It was very basic and over simplified which is why I never really used it. They hear people want wants and fears so maybe something better than whims are on their to do list. 🤷‍♀️
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I think it's going to be replaced with a better system in the future. It was very basic and over simplified which is why I never really used it. They hear people want wants and fears so maybe something better than whims are on their to do list. 🤷‍♀️

That'ld awesome but im not so confident...
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021

Too many years have passed for that.

I also think that we should try to judge the sims4 based on what it is now, not what it could become in the future. They could update whims sometime in the future, or they could not do anything with them at all.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

I very much hope you are right but I have my doubts. The team don’t even seem to acknowledge that there is an issue with the live mode gameplay. All they ever update is more and more build and buy/CAS and it’s getting really tiresome. I bought a life simulator game, not a building simulator.

I love the game, I really do but as a player that has no interest in building it’s really just upsetting to see that the part of the game that I do enjoy the most and that needs the most attention is constantly being neglected. I have been feeling quite down about the game since I read about this yesterday.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »

I very much hope you are right but I have my doubts. The team don’t even seem to acknowledge that there is an issue with the live mode gameplay. All they ever update is more and more build and buy/CAS and it’s getting really tiresome. I bought a life simulator game, not a building simulator.

I love the game, I really do but as a player that has no interest in building it’s really just upsetting to see that the part of the game that I do enjoy the most and that needs the most attention is constantly being neglected. I have been feeling quite down about the game since I read about this yesterday.

think of it this way they said they were interested in going back to it it is better then nothing
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

think of it this way they said they were interested in going back to it it is better then nothing

Yeah. I hope they will eventually see reason. I have mods for the whims currently. I just wish that so many mods weren’t always needed in order to make the gameplay more fun.

Thank you so much for all the replies here. It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one concerned about this. <3
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I don't mind that they aren't adding any as long as they allow us to keep the ones we have at least. I use Little Miss Sams Whim Overhaul so that makes the whims we do have more meaningful which makes using them a lot more enjoyable.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    I don't mind that they aren't adding any as long as they allow us to keep the ones we have at least. I use Little Miss Sams Whim Overhaul so that makes the whims we do have more meaningful which makes using them a lot more enjoyable.

yes but I want more and so does miss sam
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    readerbug2 wrote: »
    I actually really like whims. Sure, I find it annoying when all of my sims want a bee box in the summertime and then want to bond with said bees, but overall, it really drives my gameplay. I like knowing what my sims want, and it encourages me to try different areas of the game. Otherwise, I get into a routine that quickly spirals into a rut.

+1

Without whims, I'm lost.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    why fix something thats not even broken i relly do not get it as a player of the sims 4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Guys, they said that they're not working in it now, but that they'd like to revisit it later. That's...a positive thing, ain't it?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    why fix something thats not even broken i relly do not get it as a player of the sims 4

It became broken the day they abandoned it. They haven't updated whims for years. And the one's still there are not in depth. They're basically random...
  • Options
    greydonn wrote: »
    Guys, they said that they're not working in it now, but that they'd like to revisit it later. That's...a positive thing, ain't it?

It is. Better then all this years, when they never even mentioned them. Anyway devs still seem more focused on bb and cas upgrades. I'm not against those, but bb and cas are 4's greatest strenghts. At this point they should be more enthusiastic about gameplay updates imho.