Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming: Would you be ok if you couldn't harvest animals for meat?

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited May 2021
    No - Harvesting meat is crucial to a farming pack
    I think we should be able to harvest meat if we want. If you would rather sell the livestock that is fine too. It should be the players choice.They can always put a toggle to turn it off if you don’t want to. Games like Minecraft let you harvest meat, and if you have a farmer living off the grid, and trying to live off the land in the sims they should have a choice to harvest meat. Minecraft is rated 7+, and they harvest meat from animals. We have tons of of ways to kill sims in the sims 4, but we can’t harvest meat from animals, which happens in real life?? I don’t go around killing my sims on purpose like many do, but I would like to have a choice between harvesting meat or selling the animal. My vegetarians can harvest, just the eggs, milk and wool. It should be a choice. I certainly don’t want anything gory..... a simple exchange of meat for the animal to use in cooking.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes - It is fine to not harvest animals for meat

Also I'm sure there are vegan simmers, so meat farming is a big no-no. Curious about eggs and milk though. I mean, I'm not vegan, but from my understanding veganism is a belief against animal cruelty, so zero animal products are consumed. (I don't speak for anyone and I may be ignorant here, and I'm sorry!) Would egg farming or cow milking then be in the game since it could be offensive?

I'm not vegan, just veggie but trying to be more vegan & know a lot of other vegans, here's my thoughts on that. Others may have other opinions, but here's from my point of view as you asked.

I wouldn't mind egg farming and cow milking in game, also I'd love wool from sheep (would go well with the knitting pack!). Not going into details, but my issue is with the treatment of animals irl, it is very hard to get cruelty free animal products (though is technically possible). In the sims this isn't an issue, you can ensure animal are well kept and get cruelty free milk and such easily so I don't mind it.

So I'd like those options. And honestly, without any of those options I'm not really sure what gameplay you would expect from a farming pack. That is kind of the bulk of farming, aside from crops but we already have a gardening system and adding in some more crops isn't much gameplay.
  • Options
    kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    Mixed/Unbothered - Depends on the pack contents
    I am someone who has always wanted a farming pack, but I have limited expectations as to what the Sims 4 will provide. I think if they are going to allow us to use any animals for meat, it will be like this: "trade pig for bacon". I'm not sure they will even do this though.
    Admittedly, I don't care either way as long as they allow us to use the potential animals for something! E.g. a chicken for eggs, etc.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I don't eat meat, so personally I wouldn't buy the EP if killing animals were apart of it. I'd be happier with a milk farm, crops, eggs, wool, etc.

I think there's many ways to do a farming pack without having your Sims killing animals. I understand and respect that others feel differently, and I really don't want to argue because everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if I don't agree with it. But if it was a feature in the pack, I think it would make me feel quite ill. I'd never be able to play it.

In saying that, Sims seems to be going down quite an eco friendly route recently, with living odd the grid, vegetarian Sims, a whole Eco Living pack etc. Do you think they would then turn around and allow us to farm animals in such a way?

Also I'm sure there are vegan simmers, so meat farming is a big no-no. Curious about eggs and milk though. I mean, I'm not vegan, but from my understanding veganism is a belief against animal cruelty, so zero animal products are consumed. (I don't speak for anyone and I may be ignorant here, and I'm sorry!) Would egg farming or cow milking then be in the game since it could be offensive?

I don't think anyone is ever ignorant for asking about something they want to know more about. (How else would we learn?)

My understanding is that veganism stems from a belief that it is cruel to exploit animals in any way for human consumption (although I'm not vegan so I may be wrong). Which I can understand. I think it's difficult to cater for everyone though, but I feel that if someone is offended by a pack, then they just don't buy it? I mean, I wouldn't be "offended" if a farming pack came out with a feature to harvest animals for meat, but I wouldn't buy it either. But I'm under no illusion that EA/Maxis are making Sims packs exclusively for me and my tastes.

I don't think the game ever tries to offend anyone, infact I think they make great effort to keep it as un-offensive as possible. Different people find different things uncomfortable though, so it is difficult to make a perfect game for everyone.

Maybe developers have been having this very conversation and that is why players have been waiting so long for a farming pack? :lol:

• Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    You can‘t slaughter animals in Stardew Valley and it never bothered me. Just give me the eggs, and milk, and wool.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    You can‘t slaughter animals in Stardew Valley and it never bothered me. Just give me the eggs, and milk, and wool.

I feel the same. Harvesting animals for meat - It doesn't seem to fit the spirit of SV and it doesn't fit the spirit of the Sims either. While i want farming I always assumed this would not be something in the game. But yes to wool, milk, eggs etc.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Harvesting animals for meat is not so important for me in a farming pack but I believe it should be the decision of the individual players whether they do that in their game or not. More important for me is to harvest milk, eggs and wool.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    God no. I couldn't think of anything worse than having animal slaughter in a sims game. No. Just no.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    I dunno, I feel like animal production is an important factor in farming and a billion-dollar industry reality that we must acknowledge. I'm not expecting full-on graphic butchering. Gross. It can be done in the cutesy cartoony implied nonsense that this franchise is known for. Like sending them animals off peacefully (or heartbreakingly with matching breakdown or angry animations for vegetarian sims) in a rabbit hole or whatever then you'll gain money for it. Basically, I just want it so my Sims have the option to do it, I'm not getting it if it comes pre-nerfed.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Sims need a shop that sells bacon butties!
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I feel like them limiting so much stuff to cater to vegans or vegetarians is not inclusive, actually it's extremely exclusive to those of us who eat foods from all foods groups, not just fake meat, dairy, and eggs.

I feel like as long there is nothing visual, that players that don't wish to "harvest" meat can choose not to.

@Chicklet453681 Not to turn this too much into a different topic but I feel like everyone out there who decides to consume meat should be in good terms with the way it's "harvested". If someone who eats meat finds it uncomfortable to see where that meat comes from then that person should rethink their stance on consumption of animals.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm a bit biased because I'm vegetarian since birth. I don't, but many people in my culture actually worship certain animals. That being said I'm all about OPTIONS and the harsh reality of life. This is something practiced by millions of people and I can even think of certain sims I would love to have collect meat for story purposes. If nothing is shone I don't see the problem. I'm not about the censored pc culture lifestyle
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I don't eat meat, so personally I wouldn't buy the EP if killing animals were apart of it. I'd be happier with a milk farm, crops, eggs, wool, etc.

I think there's many ways to do a farming pack without having your Sims killing animals. I understand and respect that others feel differently, and I really don't want to argue because everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if I don't agree with it. But if it was a feature in the pack, I think it would make me feel quite ill. I'd never be able to play it.

In saying that, Sims seems to be going down quite an eco friendly route recently, with living odd the grid, vegetarian Sims, a whole Eco Living pack etc. Do you think they would then turn around and allow us to farm animals in such a way?

Does not offend me one bit. World doesn't evolve around me or my vegan ways. 😁
  • Options
    Yes, I feel like I need an option for yes and I that is actually my preference and it would dissuade me from getting the pack if killing animals was included. I would prefer to be able to milk cows, get eggs from chicken, wool from sheep, etc. but not meat. I'm a veggie irl and don't want that in my game. Just my personal preference though. If they included it I wouldn't get the pack unless I could disable it, via settings or a mod. Though I wonder if the teen rating may limit them anyway with what they can do here.

I'm not massively fussed on farming really, though I do really want horses and some rural worlds which is my main reason I'd want a farming pack.

What if they had the option but you just choose to not select it?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Yes, I feel like I need an option for yes and I that is actually my preference and it would dissuade me from getting the pack if killing animals was included. I would prefer to be able to milk cows, get eggs from chicken, wool from sheep, etc. but not meat. I'm a veggie irl and don't want that in my game. Just my personal preference though. If they included it I wouldn't get the pack unless I could disable it, via settings or a mod. Though I wonder if the teen rating may limit them anyway with what they can do here.

I'm not massively fussed on farming really, though I do really want horses and some rural worlds which is my main reason I'd want a farming pack.

I know this question wasn't aimed at me, but I share a similar view point to the poster you quoted, so thought I'd answer for myself.

Personally, even if there was an option to harvest meat/not harvest meat, I still wouldn't buy the game. It's hard to explain but it would make me feel uncomfortable every time I played the pack that there is an option to slaughter animals.

But as I said, I just wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't rant and rave about it, I would just quietly get on with my Sims game without that pack.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member

If there is a general game setting to turn it off I would be happy with that, I just don't want to see it as an option when I'm playing. I don't want to see an option every time I select an animal and I'd prefer to have it feel like all the animals in the world are safe. I'd consider using a mod to get rid of it, but I wouldn't be very happy with that as not everyone can use mods (eg. console) so may not buy it out of principle for fellow veggie/vegan simmers.

I know I'm biased as I would prefer it not included at all, but if they really have to including killing animals in game it should be able to be turned off at the settings. That's just my opinion, but I don't think I'm in a massive minority in not wanting it in game.
  • Options
    Thanks for replies you two. Hopefully if it's ever something they actually do they provide toggles so everyone is happy😁😁
  • Options
    Charolette_MagdaCharolette_Magda Posts: 16 Member
    Personally, I would not care if there was an option to harvest meat. I think it would be cool to harvest eggs, milk, wool, and that kind of thing.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021

That is one reason why I would like to see the sims team have harvesting for meat in a farming pack, because they would probably offer ways for vegetarian and vegan people to enjoy farming as well (for example letting you having a large farm of vegetables) and we could all see different perspectives of how people prefer to live.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2021
    I *don't want* to be able to harvest animals for meat. The Sims franchise in general wouldn't allow us to kill animals, nevermind TS4 where cats and dogs are only able to die of old age and fish are immortal. But I wouldn't want to kill animals, especially not for meat, and "harvesting" meat without harming the animals just irks me because it's unrealistic and weird (I imagine cutting off a piece of the animal while it's still alive, which is worse).
    To me, animal farming is wholesome. It's collecting eggs and milk and wool from happy animals and giving them a nice life with lots of attention, pretty enclosures and fields etc. I want to process these non-meat animal products into nice foods, condiments and desserts. Animal grooming contests are adorable as well, because then I have even more incentive to treat and nurture my favourite animals.

My opinion about using animals for meat is different in games where it makes sense, such as Minecraft and survival games. It doesn't make sense in TS, imo. Harvesting meat wasn't in previous games so it hasn't been established as something that is to be added to farming. Feeding chocolate to cows to get chocolate milk was added to TS3 store, and I find it quite funny and whimsical. I don't think harvesting meat is whimsical though, unless they find a REALLY creative way to do it.

Edit: steak plants, hot dog plants etc are fun. I think that would be a good way to implement it. Maybe fertilizing the plants with cow manure will make it better quality, or is required for it to grow (sims who want a hot dog plant in their apartment but don't have space or a desire for a cow could purchase manure online).
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Eggs and milk are a must. Wool would be awesome. Meat, I don't care either way.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited May 2021

I know this question wasn't aimed at me, but I share a similar view point to the poster you quoted, so thought I'd answer for myself.

Personally, even if there was an option to harvest meat/not harvest meat, I still wouldn't buy the game. It's hard to explain but it would make me feel uncomfortable every time I played the pack that there is an option to slaughter animals.

But as I said, I just wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't rant and rave about it, I would just quietly get on with my Sims game without that pack.

But you don’t feel uncomfortable that there are 50 ways to kill a sim?? I have to ask, just where are peoples priorities these days? I want a farming pack with free range animals, or a large fenced area, that can be used for eggs, milk, wool, and meat. I don’t even expect every person who owns a farm animal in my game to use it for meat. We can have dairy farms, we can have chicken farms (just for eggs), in fact, not all my sims will use their animals for meat. Before I was born, my mother owned a goat because my sister was allergic to cows milk, but I would also like for my sims to be able to use their animals for meat as well, that is one reason I want them to be able to reproduce. I want to be able to use get to work to sell meat as well as fish and vegetables, I also want fruit bins and vegetable bins to make a proper grocery store, and a farmers market. If they are going to do a farming pack with animals, I hope we have all these options. But, I don’t want the pack to say “slaughter animals. I think it should have an option to sell an animal and an option to replace it with the type of meat of that animal, or being able to just use the animal to collect eggs, milk, and wool., or even use it as a type of pet if you want to. The whole idea of this game is to have options, I mean, we can kill sims 50 ways, and they add a new way or more with every pack. I don’t purposefully go around killing my sims, in fact I have aging off my main game and I have only let 1 sim in that game die ( by fighting ) to fulfill an aspiration for my criminal, and I felt bad doing that even though it was a townie my sim didn’t know.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    My mom - who for a very long time lived on an actual small American midwestern farm and raised horses (which is why she was always broke, those suckers are expensive to care for) goats, chickens, etc. once told me a joke about the process of raising a steer (gelded bull) for slaughter. The punch line was about when, just after you've regretfully called the butcher, the steer gets into the vegetable garden and tears it up, resulting in wanting to grab the shotgun yourself.

I'm not saying that farming can't be all about taking milk, eggs, wool, etc from the animals and letting them die peaceably, but factory farming isn't the only source of raising animals for meat and pretending that it is kinda naive. Some animals really don't have a lot of domestic use besides making baby animals and providing meat. That's the way it is.

But as I said, I don't expect Maxis to do it, and I won't be offended or upset if they don't.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Not bothered. However, if we ever get Werewolves I would want them to be able to hunt animals for meat. And it would be so funny if they "hunt" the Cow, Pig or Chicken. :D
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

But you don’t feel uncomfortable that there are 50 ways to kill a sim??

I understand your point, but no. To me, Sim deaths are usually quite slapstick/cartoony, they don't mimic real life to me in the same way farming animals for meat would.

Maybe it's not logical, but it would make me uncomfortable, therefore I wouldn't want it in my game.

I don't want to argue with anyone about this though, it isn't worth it and it really isn't that big of a deal.