Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming: Would you be ok if you couldn't harvest animals for meat?

Comments

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Mixed/Unbothered - Depends on the pack contents
    To start a "family farm" we can already do it with the existing feature. So, having livestock would be the USP for the pack. I do understand there's a lot of differences in preferences & ideologies, and the hardest part is to satisfy every single one. I would say, the only way we could actually enjoy the pack is, by being open minded & learn to accept the differences, as long as it's not something that will harm oneself or others.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yes - It is fine to not harvest animals for meat

It's a personal opinion and a choice that doesn't affect anyone else but the individual.

But it does effect others, because if the devs listened then those of us who would want the ability to harvest meat, would have that option denied to us from the start.

I'm not saying their personal opinion and preference is "wrong", they are absolutely entitled to feel any way they want. I'm saying give us - the players, options instead of just not offering that type of game play. Be inclusive to all types of people, those that don't eat meat, and those that do.

@Chicklet453681 But if they say they don't want to see animal cruelty in the game should they just lie and say they want to see it in case EA decides not to give it to us.

Personally I wouldn't buy a pack that allows players to "harvest" meat. But that's my personal preference, my business and an opinion I am allowed to express without affecting anyone else. If a pack has animal cruelty then the pack is not right for me and I express that, I don't see what's wrong with that. I'm sure EA won't care so much that I, an individual person doesn't want this certain feature. You are making a huge deal out of this. Implying people are asking for it to be "removed". No, it's an opinion, a choice you have to respect like we respect yours.
    Nobody in this thread implied that all vegans and vegeterians will sabotage this pack if it has animal cruelty. Relax.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    They could add supermarkets to the game. The farmer sells the live animal to the supermarket or on Plopsy and the supermarket sells packaged meat.
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    They could add supermarkets to the game. The farmer sells the live animal to the supermarket or on Plopsy and the supermarket sells packaged meat.

That would be a tidy solution and it would be nice to have more non-produce foods that could be sold in shops.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited May 2021
    There's no need to include harvesting animals for meat. Farm sim games have been around as a genre for a long time, and, far as I'm aware, the most popular ones (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Stardew Valley) have never included meat farming. Those games are plenty successful, so it's clearly not a necessary aspect of any farming gameplay. I generally agree with the sentiment that TS4 should move away from the "sunshine and rainbows all the time" vibe it has right now, but this isn't the thing to do it.
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    There's no need to include harvesting animals for meat. Farm sim games have been around as a genre for a long time, and, far as I'm aware, the most popular ones (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Stardew Valley) have never included meat farming. Those games are plenty successful, so it's clearly not a necessary aspect of any farming gameplay. I generally agree with the sentiment that TS4 should move away from the "sunshine and rainbows all the time" vibe it has right now, but this isn't the thing to do it.

100% agree with you

• Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    No - Harvesting meat is crucial to a farming pack
    It's easy to offend people these days. I personally have no problem with harvesting meat in The Sims. I wouldn't have a problem with my children playing that because it is The Sims and I know it would not include graphic killing. The only thing that offends me is the way others push their likes and dislikes on everybody else. Let us play our way, you play yours.

I think a farming pack like this could appease everybody with a few toggles in settings added.
    edited May 2021
    It's easy to offend people these days. I personally have no problem with harvesting meat in The Sims. I wouldn't have a problem with my children playing that because it is The Sims and I know it would not include graphic killing. [/b]

@Randie_Reigns I'm just not sure how they could implement it to not be so sad? Like imagine you are a kid or a teen playing a family with 3 pigs. You have your pigs, you raise them, you name them, you feed them and then once you direct your sim to harvest them your sim takes the pigs dissapears and now you have 40 slabs of meat in your inventory.
    I don't know about you but even not seeing the killing, I find it weird and a bit sad, your pigs dissapearing and you suddenly having pieces of meat in your inventory. And if a kid plays that don't you think they might ask "Mom, where did the pig go that I had in my family? It dissapeared" and then you have to explain "Oh it was actually killed for meat".

I just feel like it's a really tricky feature to implement. Maybe they'll come up with something but at the end of the day, the animals will always dissapear and you will always have meat appear in your inventory. it will always be a bit sad.
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    It's easy to offend people these days. I personally have no problem with harvesting meat in The Sims. I wouldn't have a problem with my children playing that because it is The Sims and I know it would not include graphic killing. [/b]

@Randie_Reigns I'm just not sure how they could implement it to not be so sad? Like imagine you are a kid or a teen playing a family with 3 pigs. You have your pigs, you raise them, you name them, you feed them and then once you direct your sim to harvest them your sim takes the pigs dissapears and now you have 40 slabs of meat in your inventory.
    I don't know about you but even not seeing the killing, I find it weird and a bit sad, your pigs dissapearing and you suddenly having pieces of meat in your inventory. And if a kid plays that don't you think they might ask "Mom, where did the pig go that I had in my family? It dissapeared" and then you have to explain "Oh it was actually killed for meat".

I just feel like it's a really tricky feature to implement. Maybe they'll come up with something but at the end of the day, the animals will always dissapear and you will always have meat appear in your inventory. it will always be a bit sad.

That is what the toggles are for. Turn it all off by default. This game is not meant for young children in the first place, but as a parent, I explained where meat comes from to my children. They asked this question without a game, so it's going to come up.

If anything, it could be a teaching tool. If you explain it right to your children, it will not be devastating in any way. What is devastating is keeping the truth from your children, leaving them to figure it all out on their own. Usually it will come from some random person who will give them the most graphic explanation imaginable.

It's not up to a game, TV, or the internet to teach our children. It's the parent's job. Just as it is a parent's job to monitor what our children play and choose age appropriate games.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited May 2021
    Im not big on a farming pack anyway, but I'd probably be more inclined to buy it if raising animals for meat was included and be able to make money off it. I seriously doubt that such a concept would be in the pack anyway with how the game is now.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's easy to offend people these days. I personally have no problem with harvesting meat in The Sims. I wouldn't have a problem with my children playing that because it is The Sims and I know it would not include graphic killing. The only thing that offends me is the way others push their likes and dislikes on everybody else. Let us play our way, you play yours.

I think a farming pack like this could appease everybody with a few toggles in settings added.

Wouldn’t the “toggle” be just not owning the animals or not selling them on for meat production? It seems like if this team made a farming pack and meat production was part of it you would sell your animal on to a rabbit hole and end up with meat and/or simoleans in exchange, similar to how hunting works in Sims Medieval. But if you chose not to do that then you could just keep the animals on your farm until they died of old age. It just seems to me with the number of “toggles” people want in the start up menu anymore it would take 2 hours just to set up a save file before even playing the game. I would personally only want so many toggles if I could have a toggle to toggle off toggles.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    Stardew Valley used to have butchering during beta testing but it didn’t feel right to the developer so he removed it.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    It's interesting to me that people are saying a feature can't exist because someone might not want to use it. If they did allow people to sell their animals to the market or use them for meat, your game play wouldn't be impacted at all because you could literally choose not to do those things. It's kind of like real life. As mentioned in my post, I have neighbors who don't use their chickens or goats for meat. However, I have a former coworker who is now in the cattle business and sells them for meat. Also, people who sell animals for meat generally don't name the animals. You only name animals you keep as pets. I fully understand why people are against it, and the sims team tends to be overly cautious, so I'm not even sure that this debate will even matter in the end. I have a feeling a farming pack will give us animals as objects or attached to objects anyway. It's likely the pigs would be locked to a pig pen, chickens to the chicken coop, etc.
  • SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    I don't believe in murder so harvesting meat would be a no go to me. I want to bond with the animals and have eggs, milk.. but I don't want my sims to kill the animals. Beside, we can't even murder a sim as a sim in the game (if you do that in the game it's as a player) so it would be weird.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Hadn't thought about it. Never figured they would do it. I just want 64x64 lot with lots of animals ( chickens, cows, pigs, goats, sheep, and other animals. Fences( berbed and electric), mowing hay, baking hay, making gardens, new plants, a co-op to buy and sell it all at. Perhaps they have sell pens for the animals. Unlimited farm animals. An EP about farming, not stuff, clothes, and building stuff that has zero to do with real farming. Barns, sheds, just a couple clothes are enough for other stuff. It should mainly be farm stuff and related.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    I’m vegan and against animal cruelty, i definitely don’t want to see that option portrayed in the game. I rather have other farming options and gameplay elements that doesn’t includes that, like in the stardew valley game

See, I don't really understand this thought process.

That's like wanting meat removed from grocery stores in RL because you don't eat it and it makes you uncomfortable.

It's a choice. Nobody forces you to eat it, but those of use who were raised eating it and actually like meat, should have that choice in the game too, just like you would have the choice of NOT choosing to harvest it.

@Chicklet453681 But all @Hauk150 did was explain why they personally don't want to see animal cruelty portrayed in the game. It's a personal opinion and a choice that doesn't affect anyone else but the individual.

I'm pretty sure that nobody is asking to actually "see the process", just having the option to sell our animals to harvest the meat.

And also in real-life we also don't "see the process" but we still know (at least some of us) the cruelty that goes behind producing meat. I think that's what @Hauk150 means.

Thanks for explaining @SimmerGeorge :) , i didn't intended to offend anyone @Chicklet453681 , it was just my personal opinions ;)
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited May 2021
    I would say in a more sympathetic way that produce of some kind should be a benefit from any farming animal and sold for profit or through a farmers market.

The animal doesn’t have to die (obviously, teen rated). The team has ways of dealing with friendly interactions.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    I’m vegan and against animal cruelty, i definitely don’t want to see that option portrayed in the game. I rather have other farming options and gameplay elements that doesn’t includes that, like in the stardew valley game

See, I don't really understand this thought process.

That's like wanting meat removed from grocery stores in RL because you don't eat it and it makes you uncomfortable.

It's a choice. Nobody forces you to eat it, but those of use who were raised eating it and actually like meat, should have that choice in the game too, just like you would have the choice of NOT choosing to harvest it.

@Chicklet453681 But all @Hauk150 did was explain why they personally don't want to see animal cruelty portrayed in the game. It's a personal opinion and a choice that doesn't affect anyone else but the individual.

I'm pretty sure that nobody is asking to actually "see the process", just having the option to sell our animals to harvest the meat.

And also in real-life we also don't "see the process" but we still know (at least some of us) the cruelty that goes behind producing meat. I think that's what @Hauk150 means.

It's not cruelty, it's a necessity. I'm not a fan of all the chemically produced food that goes into these animals to make them grow faster and such or the tight spaces they have to grow on sometimes, though that's the difference between buying them from the supermarket or an actual farm, but this kind of vilifying talk is absurd and ignorant. As humans we need to feed off of other animals to get protein and other nutritious substances to live. It's not like eating plants full of pesticides and chemicals is much better. And certainly, swallowing vitamin pills is the least natural of things.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I really can't believe they would have our sims kill their animals for meat. It would be much too controversial. Even just walking the animal into a building and having the animal disappear in the front door while you get a pile of meat at the back door would cause a lot of people to refuse to play. A pack with a requirement like that would be more hated than Batuu! ;) For that matter, if we can name the animal then killing is a definite no.

I've been assuming this would be like other games, where you tap the pig and get a plate of bacon with no harm to the pig other than it is now hungry. Likewise a cow would give a bottle/bucket of milk (or a hamburger?, in which case you'd have goats for milk), chickens would give a few eggs, sheep would give a pile of wool, etc.

If they did for some crazy reason want us to kill our simnimals, I would really have to look at the gameplay to see how it was handled before I could make a decision.
    edited May 2021
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    As humans we need to feed off of other animals to get protein and other nutritious substances to live. It's not like eating plants full of pesticides and chemicals is much better. And certainly, swallowing vitamin pills is the least natural of things.

@Sigzy05 This is actually very incorrect but certainly off-topic. Protein is not exclusive to animal products and we do not need to eat meat to survive. Also the same way vegetables has chemicals, meat has antibiotics and vitamin supplements fed to the animals themselves. Actually a lot of foods from the supermarket have supplements (b12, Vitamin D etc.) hidden in them.

If you are interested in this topic and want to know more you can DM me for more information or you can do some research online cause it would be too off-topic to discuss this here.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    As humans we need to feed off of other animals to get protein and other nutritious substances to live. It's not like eating plants full of pesticides and chemicals is much better. And certainly, swallowing vitamin pills is the least natural of things.

@Sigzy05 This is actually very incorrect but certainly off-topic. Protein is not exclusive to animal products and we do not need to eat meat to survive. Also the same way vegetables has chemicals, meat has antibiotics and vitamin supplements fed to the animals themselves. Actually a lot of foods from the supermarket have supplements (b12, Vitamin D etc.) hidden in them.

If you are interested in this topic and want to know more you can DM me for more information or you can do some research online cause it would be too off-topic to discuss this here.

I didn't say it was exclusive though. It's not very incorrect.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I didn't say it was exclusive though. It's not very incorrect.

@Sigzy05 You said it's a necessity and we need protein to survive so we eat meat. and I say no cause we can get protein from other foods so we don't need it exclusively from meat as you implied.
    If you agree that meat isn't the only protein source then there you have it, if there are other protein sources then eating meat isn't a necessity anymore.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Stardew valley doesn't have harvesting animals for meat, and stardew valley is arguably the best farming game ever made. There's no way a sims 4 farming pack will ever compare to stardew. What stardew does have is the ability to breed and sell animals, but mostly it's just selling cow milk, or chicken eggs.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes, I would rather have different types of meat plants like the chicken plants (from the sims 3) over harvest animals for meat. I wouldn’t mind if our sims can raise and uses sheep for wool to making different clothes. Cows for milks to drink it, use it for ingredients in foods, and etc. And chicken for eggs to cook it and uses for ingredients for making different foods, & etc.
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    In TS3, we actually harvest meat from plants, which I thought was hilarious! So I think it's fine if we don't harvest meat from animals.

Re093ca8cd59c4d1c568a0af1eb666d1b?rik=nacdHvcvB10Ccg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fthumbs2.modthesims.info%2fimg%2f4%2f8%2f1%2f5%2f7%2fMTS_Erzengel-952840-RoastLinksPlant.jpg&ehk=ZVPjmXMdX8KQmdn06bfbyesnLsPNUWVyzvIF0iMO8w4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

TS3 did have chickens for eggs and cows for milk. Those are acceptable because no killing and butchering of animals was required.

LOL! I miss those plants from the sims 3. I hope EA will bring those back in the sims 4.