Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

Comments

• Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    i use the saucer lights and do the columns thing. the lights are just because i can’t stand when my builds are too dark, especially when i’m taking screenshots. and the columns are because sometimes i want trim on the house but the siding that comes with trim doesn’t always place the trim in the right places.

anyway, like most people i’m not a huge fan of the super cluttery builds. i don’t mind a little bit but i like my sims to be able to add their own clutter/decorations over time. i don’t really like to overuse MOO either unless it’s for little thing that won’t interfere with gameplay like wall decorations.
  • Options
    GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 281 Member
    Hate it when I download something beautiful from the Gallery because I don't feel like building myself. Then have to spend the next day completely rebuilding to make the house playable. Mostly there are serious routing issues that makes the kitchens not useable, and beds and chairs not reachable. Also, having to remove clutter, upon clutter, only to discover even more clutter hidden behind the other clutter.
    I don't use CC so if you see something in a screenshot of mine, it's from the game.
    EA Account (Gallery) ID: BylineBelife
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Oh the ceiling lights! I hate it when people hide the subtle saucers inside another light or generally hide any light at all. The build often ends up with too much light and it's a lot of trouble finding all these little hiding spots. I think I like my builds darker than most, but really sometimes the excessive lighting ruins screenshots.
  • Options
    chonkiechonkie Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2021
    Ridiculous amounts of plants indoors.

Don't get me wrong, I like plants. But a lot of builds are chock-full of them! It's not just one room, either - they're EVERYWHERE. On the walls, on every snap of a table, shelf, etc might offer, huge vases etc in each corner of the room (and sometimes IN THE MIDDLE OF IT). It's just WAY too much. So basically the clutter thing others mentioned, but with plants. Again, I like plants and nature, but I don't understand this obsession with placing them everywhere indoors, especially when that build also has a huge :heart::heart::heart: garden...

Unroutable & otherwise non-functional builds.

I realize some people bought Sims mainly for building, not for CAS or live mode, which is absolutely fine! But I hate it when a build's functionality is sacrificed for ~ aesthetics ~. Sure, if you don't play them yourself it's fine, but if you upload them to the Gallery, PLEASE play test them at least once. I used to love using other people's builds in my game, but most were completely unplayable because of weird object placement and ridiculous amounts of clutter. I just resorted to building my own houses...

Modern / futuristic builds.

Just a personal preference thing, I think they look super ugly. :sweat_smile: I prefer traditional houses, they look way more cozy to me. It's also why I prefer small builds. Plus, it takes Sims FOREVER to navigate huge houses, so they end up wasting hours upon hours just walking.

Monochromatic builds.

I love colour, so these builds look very boring and lifeless in my opinion. Completely white builds look sterile and cold.
    Post edited by chonkie on
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited April 2021
    - Castles. I simply don't like them, never did, neither the size nor the architecture or what they stand for... Everybody else may dream of being a prince(ss) in a huge castle, but I can do without it.

- Huge builds in general. Unless the number or the situation of the sims involved justifies it, I prefer smaller homes where every room has a purpose and it doesn't take two sim hours to get from one activity to another.

- Related to the above, rooms that serve no purpose. It may be the prettiest room in the entire house, filled with the most expensive works of art, but if my sims never have any reason to be there, it has to go. Or be filled with something useful.

- Open floor plans of the kind that you often encounter in modern houses and apartments, where the entire living space is basically one big room. Bonus points if said room is also relatively empty. I call this the warehouse style.

- The taller wall heights, except in builds that make clever use of platforms and/or big objects.

- Long, narrow bathrooms with two doors, big bathrooms with just one toilet and sink inside, and public bathrooms on the upper floors of community lots with none downstairs, all of which are unfortunately very common in premade builds. Maxis can't do bathrooms!

- Last but definitely not least: The overuse of clutter. I can't state often enough how much I hate that, or when builders "create" new objects my MOOing together existing ones into something non-functional. And how proud they usually are of their abominations.
  • Options
    LilMoonLilMoon Posts: 18 Member
    I admit I love to put many clutter & plants in all my lots as they bring character & life into them, I do make extremely cluttered lots but they are for showcase/screenshot only.

The things I don't like:
    - The houses that are too big, no matter how well design they make me feel empty.
    - Tiny houses. Theres many ridiculously expensive tiny flat / houses in where I live, I just don't want to see them in my game.
    - Blocky modern houses. They look lack of life.
    Lx0wdtT.png
  • Options
    AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2021
    Tiny houses, packed with stuff. I yesterday downloaded a build from the gallery. Awesome build. I was really speechless how beautiful it was. But then it was almost impossible to live there as you can't even select items with all the stuff that make the house so cosy.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2021
    I just dislike over-embellishment and that includes the places like The LIbrary in Willow Creek and all the extra pillars everywhere. They make my Sims more difficult to see. Those unusable dormers, just made for show and look picturesque I can also do without plus those overhanging trees in the garden that you cannot see under easily and what's the use of a door to a balcony if you can't find space there to put at least a chair on it?.

I enjoy looking at the fantastic builds I see in the Gallery but end up making my own UK suburban houses because those are the ones I know. They might sometimes be blocky but I like them and I know they all have double spacing in the corridors!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    what's the use of a door to a balcony if you can't find space there to put at least a chair on it?.
    for the romeo and juliet moments
    01e8a662828e27f7927381a1cfd0968c--the-balcony-scene-young-couples.jpg

but well yeah i do be liking some room for potential small telescope or easel at least or well any suitable skill object that can go on 1-4 tiles
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    I don't like the trend of ceiling lights, it exist only these little spotlight and very few alternative. And the alternatives are either not bright enough or too big, so they block the path or the placement of other objects.

I hate the lack of big closets for living rooms and bedrooms. I know, Americans have walk-in closet and don't care about that as long as they don't move into different country, so I just bring it up here. This is pure luxury they have, and they don't even know it. :)

Americans don't all have walk-in closets. My farmhouse was built in the 1960's and only has one small closet in the master bedroom. It does tend to have lots of little closets tucked away in other places though. I drool over those walk-ins on home and garden shows myself. The only time I have ever had one was when I was single and living by myself in an apartment. It was indeed a great luxury.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    In The Sims 4 I don't like following trends/things:

- Unrealistic floorplans - sometimes I see that players and youtubers make weird floorplans. I really don't like this trend, because houses look unfunctional for me. Desks next to front door? Living room between kitchen and dining room? Really?

- White and black interiors - A lot of people use only white and black swatches. I aware that it is hard to match objects in the game, but I think that it is possible to make more unique interiors.

- Overrepresentation of cottage/suburbian style houses - I like cottages, really. But if I see similar house again It maks me bored.

- Unmatching houses to the neighboorhood style - thats why I also don't like fake houses. I love when neighboords are thought-out and planned.

- Oldschool kitchens - Maybe it's because of ugly swatches and better choice of this type furnitures, but I still don't like it.

- HUUUUUGE houses - as someone said before.

- Tiny apartmenst for 8 sims / simgle mom with 7 toddlers and another ideas like this
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    **takes notes frantically**
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    One trend that I saw with tiny builds was people putting the freezer not far from where they were sleeping. I have no idea how anyone would be able to sleep with a loud freezer right next to them.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited April 2021
    Tiny homes (as in the Tiny Living kind, not small homes in general).

Excessive clutter (or even small amounts of clutter if it looks too personal, as if a family other than mine lives there).

Bedrooms in any sized home that look more like beds in closets than actual rooms.

Too many light sources. I understand that some like it bright (I don't), but doubled-up fixtures everywhere? Why?

Huge houses that make little sense (I love big houses, but not with just a couple of bedrooms and a bunch of bathrooms).

The seeming fascination with cramped quarters in general. They're often nice to look at, but not to play in.

The apparent thought that eclectic either means kitschy or that it shouldn't exist at all. I seem to be one of the rare ones who doesn't mind if my sims' homes don't match their neighbors' houses. I've lived in a number of real life places where the architecture or style was different enough between houses to have so much more charm and feel far more lively and interesting than the places I've lived where they all matched.
    Post edited by VeeDub on
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2021
    Not targeted at the actual items/features of build mode, but I'd like major builders to start building small, 1950s ranch style starter homes. Think the Levittowns of NY and PA in the USA. A bit biased since my IRL home falls into that category lmao

And more mid-century modern interiors! Colorful, modern decor that has circled around the being old-fashioned - I love it. Sick of the HGTV interiors.

Edit: I admit I clutter my own builds like crazy, but when I made a few builds (like two or three lol) for Sims 3 I only put in the essentials.)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    I’m not really a fan of platforms. They look nice but they also make the camera bounce around all over the place when I auto follow my sims.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    When people build houses like this:
    04-16-21-2-57-27-PM.png
    I physically cannot see inside.

Things that physically are not functional:
    04-16-21-2-42-25-PM.png

Saw this in a build I downloaded a while ago, firstly the chair is at an angle for some unknown reason so sims cant sit at it, secondly the desk is a console table so it doesn't function as a desk. Completely useless but hey atleast it looks cute :|

And finally, builds that use too many packs. If I have to click the "more packs" option more than once, it's far too much. Why does every popular build either have to use every single stuff pack, or be base game only? I have the majority of the packs but it's still a struggle to find non base game builds that I can place without losing half the stuff.
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    My least favorite is these homes with non working stairs. So annoying.
  • Options
    tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Two bathrooms next to each other. I downloaded a house from the gallery and it had two big bathrooms right next to each other and I thought it was highly unnecessary. I think maybe the creator made to many rooms and didn't know what to do with them. I changed one of the bathrooms into a plant growing room with the added bonus of a bubble blower being in there.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Two bathrooms next to each other. I downloaded a house from the gallery and it had two big bathrooms right next to each other and I thought it was highly unnecessary. I think maybe the creator made to many rooms and didn't know what to do with them. I changed one of the bathrooms into a plant growing room with the added bonus of a bubble blower being in there.

that be good for poopmergencies though
    it kinda depends on house and amount of residents though sometimes it makes sense sometimes not

like for example you could have fancy bathroom accessed by bedroom but youd also like toilet your guest could use without entering the bedroom

or say you have like 8 sims in one floor you'd probably like more than one toilet when they all got stomach bug

ooor well for example should you have 4+ floors you'd maybe like toilet each floor to not have to climb all the time

or also elders bedrooms or baby-toddler rooms might benefit from their own extra toilet/bath...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    eufl wrote: »
    Oh, I bought this game, and then I found houses on the gallery, they weren´t to my likes. I think, that should be forbidden. Why are people allowed to build not to my likes? That is MY game, isn´t it? :D
    Onverser wrote: »
    I physically cannot see inside.

You are so right. Why the heck do they use walls for buildings? And furniture?

@Onverser didn't say it should not be on the Gallery. They just said they don't like it and they are entitled to like what they like.

Incidentally I agree in the first two cases but as I don't remember what object came from which pack I probably use the lot!

There was a terrific thread about missing toilet rolls in builds some time ago and I could be guilty of that but I couldn't care less. It's my build so put in the toilet rolls yourself if you want to. If you want pillars use them but I won't be downloading.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Over sized rooms with furniture arranged diagonally to try to disguise how over sized they are, could have just made the whole house a bit smaller.

Hallways in general. Guess there are some instances where it's unavoidable but most of the time I've been able to do some resizing of rooms to make them all accessible and regain the space the hallway had been using.

Multiple story homes. I've gone hog wild and built four basement levels deep and three stories high and had a blast doing it, but if I had to keep track of more then one sim in such a labyrinth I'd probably lose my mind. For actual play I tend to favor the single story houses.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

that be good for poopmergencies though
    it kinda depends on house and amount of residents though sometimes it makes sense sometimes not

like for example you could have fancy bathroom accessed by bedroom but youd also like toilet your guest could use without entering the bedroom

or say you have like 8 sims in one floor you'd probably like more than one toilet when they all got stomach bug

ooor well for example should you have 4+ floors you'd maybe like toilet each floor to not have to climb all the time

or also elders bedrooms or baby-toddler rooms might benefit from their own extra toilet/bath...

Yeah but the bathrooms were huge rooms as well which is something else I don't like cause they end up looking rather empty since there is not a lot that goes into bathrooms. Maybe I'm just a smaller house kind of person? :D
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    I’m very picky about where the toilets are. I’ve passed up several otherwise nice-looking houses on the gallery because the downstairs toilet was too close to the kitchen. :#

I can't stand that either. I try to at least make a small hallway separating the bathroom from the kitchen or dining room.
    I'm guilty of most of these :#.

I think using columns as trim on houses is builders' way of adding interest to the siding, to kind of give it a less flat look. I do it because the siding with the trim rarely looks right. A lot of the time, some corners on the exterior don't have the trim. It's really frustrating.

For me, I would say probably the chunky roof trim. Also, I'm not a fan of tiny houses. I've built a couple but I don't care for them. I understand the challenge but it's just not for me.

My hatred for columns comes from them on diagonal walls mainly. I actually don't mind them on certain builds, like Von Haunt Estate looks fine with them in my opinion, or this re-model of Von Haunt Estate used them really well.

ZNsKJbb.png

That's a beautiful house. Did you build you do that?

Nooo lol I'm not that good! I found it on Google when searching for Von Haunt Estate.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top