The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

Comments

• BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Oh the ceiling lights! I hate it when people hide the subtle saucers inside another light or generally hide any light at all. The build often ends up with too much light and it's a lot of trouble finding all these little hiding spots. I think I like my builds darker than most, but really sometimes the excessive lighting ruins screenshots.

Don't like saucer subtle, it gives off 'grey.' Prefer wall lights, lamps, yellow dim. I'm pretty light sensitive. I have my sims go clubbing a lot, and don't like when it is a black building with a giant white sign. It reminds me of dark modes on apps, it hurts my eyes much...
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Two bathrooms next to each other. I downloaded a house from the gallery and it had two big bathrooms right next to each other and I thought it was highly unnecessary. I think maybe the creator made to many rooms and didn't know what to do with them. I changed one of the bathrooms into a plant growing room with the added bonus of a bubble blower being in there.

that be good for poopmergencies though
    it kinda depends on house and amount of residents though sometimes it makes sense sometimes not

like for example you could have fancy bathroom accessed by bedroom but youd also like toilet your guest could use without entering the bedroom

or say you have like 8 sims in one floor you'd probably like more than one toilet when they all got stomach bug

ooor well for example should you have 4+ floors you'd maybe like toilet each floor to not have to climb all the time

or also elders bedrooms or baby-toddler rooms might benefit from their own extra toilet/bath...

Yeah but the bathrooms were huge rooms as well which is something else I don't like cause they end up looking rather empty since there is not a lot that goes into bathrooms. Maybe I'm just a smaller house kind of person? :D

well true i don't often go for big toilets and bathrooms in game either cause i tend to just fit them as after thought

somewhere 5-12 simsquares feels reasonable size

unless well it is to make a whole dang spa in there

4 or 3 squares seems rather uncomfy but ive had to do it couple times just cause i could not figure better placement in layout but i really needed to fit toilet on certain floor somehow

as for saucers im quilty of hiding some too but its usually bathrooms cause i too prefer dim lighting in about 90% of places but bathrooms just give me creeps if its not fully lighted cause ive seen too many horror scifi where mysterious alien being invades your drain or toilet and u die
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Mostly when I download a build I want to be able to take pictures of my sims in it .. so anything that gets in the way of that bugs me.
    So for me that includes builds..
    -With small rooms, they need to be big enough to take a picture in.. I even appreciate bigger bathrooms although I don't expect them.
    -Columns like a lot here are commenting on, they look pretty from far away but fade out for pictures .. so I'd rather not have them.
    -Also for me extra empty boxes that builders make to give the build some character and definition especially near the outside walls of the house... yes I get why but when you try to take pictures they sometimes make shots not doable.

I like good lighting but not sized up or down lights and definitely not that hidden light that I sometimes come across it's really bright... maybe it's a debug item? Either way I try to get it out if I can find it. I do really like the saucer lights they don't get in the way of pictures and usually end up replacing a lot of light fixtures with those.

MOO abuse.. and use of MOO without being willing to playtest it before sharing.

Over cluttering in general including the garden areas.
    Also placing items at an angle especially if they are meant to be functional. If the sim can't use that mirror or chair I'm just going to have to put it back and sometimes putting it back sets off a chain reaction of having to move other stuff... and then it doesn't look like what you downloaded.

egTcBMc.png
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    This thread makes me wonder what people would say about my builds...

I also didn't realise the subtle saucer was so controversial, the Super Subtle Saucer is my go-to light and I find most of the wall lights ugly or don't fit my aesthetic! But I promise I only place as many as needed to see something, e.g. 1 per every normal-sized room ;)
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    foxybilly wrote: »

That to me looks great, in the UK we dont generally have wooden sided properties because (A) we dont have the weather for it and (B) you can only get a mortgage on a fully brick built house over here.

FWIW, probably none of those have wooden sides. It's probably this vinyl stuff that's meant to look like wood and gets yellow and grody looking after a few decades. You can't repaint it, you can only take it off and put something else on.

My least favorite build thing is lots of interior clutter. I get that they look amazing and make the interiors look real -- but I play houses to PLAY them, not to look at them, and clutter slows things down and gets in the way.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    simlander wrote: »

I also didn't realise the subtle saucer was so controversial, the Super Subtle Saucer is my go-to light and I find most of the wall lights ugly or don't fit my aesthetic! But I promise I only place as many as needed to see something, e.g. 1 per every normal-sized room ;)

I like them too. I guess it's just an individual thing.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @simlander I, too, use the super subtle saucer and am guilty of downsizing it to almost invisible proportions. But I only use 1 per room, unless it's a really long room or something.

It's quite sad really, as there are so many beautiful styles of ceiling lights. But I can't stand using them as they block my view until I get close enough for them to fade, and I hate that.

One thing that makes me immediately delete a downloaded house is if the upstairs is surrounded by high roofing. I'm not sure what it's called, but it surrounds the upper floor and does not let you see into the rooms very well. Fake mansard roofing maybe?
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I wonder if it is common to use Maxis Favorites when searching the gallery.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    as for saucers im quilty of hiding some too but its usually bathrooms cause i too prefer dim lighting in about 90% of places but bathrooms just give me creeps if its not fully lighted cause ive seen too many horror scifi where mysterious alien being invades your drain or toilet and u die

Had to give you an awesome for that comment :)

Personally I hate when room layout makes no sense. Whose house is laid out so you have to walk through the living room to get to the dining room from the kitchen?

Also, people using dining chairs as computer desk chairs. Because all my sims then refuse to use the computer unless I tell them to sit first.
    edited April 2021

mood tho. lot of things i love have been mentioned here as bad :lol: but i mean its all opinions
    and in the end of the day
    if you love your builds
    thats all that should matter :blush:

i literally cant be making my spoopy mansions without columns and bumpouts and decorations and fun roof situations and moomoo like naw not having it :lol:

...actually now rebel in me kind of wants to make building with every flaw mentioned on this thread

I already made sad suburban for eco world today to rebel my own opinion :lol:
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I hate MOO, looks great but not functional in sim living
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I'm not particularly picky but I WILL have an issue if a build prioritizes style over function. If your clutter causes my Sims to walk around your ornaments in an inefficient style or if them repairing a broken object causes them to get trapped, then your house isn't so good.

I also don't know if excessive decoration causes load time issues but if it does, then that'll be a minor issue to me.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    edited April 2021
    Lol me too. This thread quickly became a “What do you hate in other’s builds?” instead of discussing “trends” that you think have been done to death. How do I unsubscribe? lol jk.

mood tho. lot of things i love have been mentioned here as bad :lol: but i mean its all opinions
    and in the end of the day
    if you love your builds
    thats all that should matter :blush:

i literally cant be making my spoopy mansions without columns and bumpouts and decorations and fun roof situations and moomoo like naw not having it :lol:
    I too am guilty of a lot of things that other simmers apparently hate: realistically-proportioned 6-tile bathrooms, MOOing, clutter on surfaces your Sims would otherwise not use, 1x1 or 2x1 voids or closets, and columns (technically pilasters) and chandeliers (that are somehow in the way of the player’s FOV even though they fade away?). It’s so sad because those things make for interesting architectural details in builds. I actually love it when people put the extra time and thought and effort in making those things. But apparently, that was the least faved build trend. Lol.

Note: Edited for formatting.
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

I already know what they would say about mine:

“He didn’t use any clutter!”

“Windows with no curtains?”

“Where is the toilet roll in the bathroom?”

“No upper cabinets in the kitchen? Reported.”

🤣🤣🤣
    edited April 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »

actually with the mostly bad curtain selection we have I don't blame u

choosing curtains in this game takes me ages and it always just ends with me using same basic ones in white or black every dang time.

well unless i have wall height 2 which lets me use vampy curtains that are somewhat more pleasing to eye

oh and i guess new beady one is kinda cute for some windows though it never sits right unless i moo it in place p_p
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I learned everyone would tear my builds to shreds. LoL

It's ok, though, because I probably do it to other people's and that's why I build my own to the specifications I like. And for my own I usually put "for my own personal use" in the description. Plus I use CC.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    **takes notes frantically**

I'm reading through the thread, to take note of any useful information. But mostly I'm just thinking, "oh well, they just won't download my houses." *shrug*
    I build from houses used in movies, tv shows, famous locations, and sometimes houses from previous Sims games. So I didn't design them, I'm just building them. Most aren't indicative of what I like in real life either. I just really enjoy recreating them.

My only real dislike is overuse of MOO and debug.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Why does every popular build either have to use every single stuff pack, or be base game only?

The answer is probably the same as my own- I bought the packs to use them. But when this came up in another thread, I said that if asked I would build with specific packs (and did for the person that asked). I bet most builders would be happy to fulfill specific pack requests if they got them. It's a challenge.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited April 2021
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    Why does every popular build either have to use every single stuff pack, or be base game only?

The answer is probably the same as my own- I bought the packs to use them. But when this came up in another thread, I said that if asked I would build with specific packs (and did for the person that asked). I bet most builders would be happy to fulfill specific pack requests if they got them. It's a challenge.

yeah i often use lots of packs cause the problem is you couldn't tell what packs people who are interested in your build have anyway so like when ur just building for your own enjoyment limiting packs just feels silly like why wouldn't i add everything fun and perfect for this lot that i can think of p_p

obviously one can much more easily stay within pack limits when there is some real reasons to do so though and you get specific packs that can and cannot be used listed to you

= build challenges or requests
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    The clutter trend especially when most players don't have strong enough computers to support generating all those assets. I also find the monochrome trend dull and boring. I can't stand bar lots being in every pack. Ultra modern builds end up all looking the same too. People using large lights that blocks routing in the lot annoys me as well.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited April 2021
    depositphotos_25595993-stock-photo-suburbia.jpg

if your house resembles any of houses in this image it makes me indescribably sad

and that would probably make it my least fave build trend

its partly the lack of symmetry, partly the lack of character/decoration and also partly the idk overall boxyboxy in big size

I've tried to make something similar before just so my build fits world around it but oh boy does it make me sad
    Ha the pacific northwest look. My real house does look like that. I call it the cookie cutter suburb look where all homes look the same. The tiny garage trend in real builds annoy me too and tiny roads where only one car can drive it so more houses can be built like shown in your picture.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I want to make a late addendum to my other post in the thread. I normally don't much like these kinds of threads, as they often come off as complaints and little else. I realize now that I (unintentionally, mind you) made myself guilty of that with my previous post. So what I want to say now is a big thank you to everyone who does build for public consumption; your work is not unappreciated, even if I don't personally care for one particular build or another.

I don't share my own work with others simply because it's done only for my own personal tastes and needs. Also I use lots of CC, I keep MOO all the time (originally because I got tired of turning it on and off when I downloaded things from the gallery, lol), and besides those I'm aware that my tastes don't seem widely shared by others.

For the record, there are tons of builds I've downloaded that I absolutely adore. So thank you again, all you creative and hard-working builders!
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

🤣🤣🤣

"She didn't use MOO? And her walls still look decorated?? But how??!"

I don't build though, lmao.
    edited April 2021

🤣🤣🤣

I know a lot of people use this mod to place clutter:
    https://pictureamoebae.tumblr.com/post/169988134879/omsp-shelf-release

A lot of people assume it is MOO cheat causing a lot of the Gallery issues when it is actually this mod being used.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

🤣🤣🤣

I know a lot of people use this mod to place clutter:
    https://pictureamoebae.tumblr.com/post/169988134879/omsp-shelf-release

A lot of people assume it is MOO cheat causing a lot of the Gallery issues when it is actually this mod being used.

I thought that thing broke years ago and the creator stopped updating it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top