Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited April 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I dislike garages being made because we have no cars and it’s wasted space in my opinion.

I dislike the usage of MOO.

I dislike seeing plants and other objects clipping through walls because they were strangely placed.

I dislike adding toilet paper. I always have to delete it because I always put the toilet in another spot and it annoys me having to put the walls up just to delete the TP.

I dislike when lots and homes are uploaded without being play tested first.

I dislike the usage of clutter. Sometimes they put so much clutter, the surface isn’t even usable by my Sim or will slow down the movement on the lot because the lot has so many objects.

I dislike the usage of columns. I always, always play my game with the walls down 100% and the columns impede my view. They have to go.

I also don’t like to see little 1x1 rooms or “closets” or whatever they call them. I don’t understand the point. I always just incorporate that space into another room.

I agree with most things here, except I have been looking or houses with garages lately anticipating the arrival of cars. I can always use them for hobbies. Also if a walk in closet is big enough to hold a desk, I usually take the clothes and things out and put a desk in.
    I usually play with walls half down, or cutaway, whatever it’s called.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hate it when I download something beautiful from the Gallery because I don't feel like building myself. Then have to spend the next day completely rebuilding to make the house playable. Mostly there are serious routing issues that makes the kitchens not useable, and beds and chairs not reachable. Also, having to remove clutter, upon clutter, only to discover even more clutter hidden behind the other clutter.

I have done this more than once, and it is so aggravating. Sometimes I just look for shell houses, or download without furniture. But then sometimes the person has used moo or something to fit things into the bathroom and stuff, so when I try to place 3 objects in the bathroom I can’t!
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Oh the ceiling lights! I hate it when people hide the subtle saucers inside another light or generally hide any light at all. The build often ends up with too much light and it's a lot of trouble finding all these little hiding spots. I think I like my builds darker than most, but really sometimes the excessive lighting ruins screenshots.

This is my one biggest complaint of all. Nothing else matters to me in comparison. It was bad enough before they added the Super Subtle Saucer Light, but now I've seen builds with these tiny ones sized aaaalllll the way down to the smallest they can be and it honestly looks like a fleck of dirt on my screen- If I can even see them to begin with! This makes it so difficult to locate where the source of light is coming from and also makes it almost impossible to delete them.

I found a really nice build recently with this exact problem. I don't have the patience or skill to build houses, but I love decorating. This house was blindingly bright though with the excessive lights doubled with white walls and floors. So I was going through, deleting everything inside of it and kept coming across these random patches of still-blinding light after I'd already deleted all of the lamps. Then I found these tiny lights hiding in different locations and doubled and tripled up on top of each other in some cases.

It made me so irritated, because it was a large house (which I needed) with many rooms and every room was like that. I really loved the house, but it was so frustrating I just found a different one, because I ended up not being able to locate all of the lights.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Builds that don't work for gameplay.

I completely agree which is why I don't use the gallery too often because I cannot see the layout of the build.

I build a lot. I'm not the best out there but all by builds are playable. I don't consider myself in the top 10 for best builders in the community. I'll bulldoze a lot completely and remove a build from my library if the build turns out unplayable. I don't have any favourite style of architecture for my builds just as I don't have a least favourite style of architecture or style of build/buy items in a build.

I don't likesome build challenges because more often than not they end up with ugly builds in the end
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I have to say that I love this thread. Sure, I'm guilty of a lot of things mentioned in this thread (like I said previously), but I still enjoy reading the comments. I'll probably still do some of the things that are mentioned because that's what I like. It's all about personal preference to me. Some love bright lights, some hate them. Nonetheless, this is still a fun thread to read. :)
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    Base game windows. I notice in many build videos (mainly from game changers) that most of their builds use the generic base game suburban windows. I think the base game windows are so ugly, especially since we have some beautiful window sets from Seasons, Cats and Dogs, even Get Famous has some nice subruban generic looking windows. I'm just sick of seeing those base game windows!

Also browns and beiges, can't stand a build that's mainly brown towns, where's the colour?!

Base windows are used because more players will be able to download the lot. It never fails, when a content creator either is building live on Twitch or uploads the lot to the gallery there are always comments like "too many packs" or "please do a base game build." As evidenced in this thread it seems the majority do not enjoy renovating builds to their specific taste.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    @Onverser
    Onverser wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a "trend" as such but I really dislike how many builds just use bright white lighting in every room. Like lighting makes such a difference to a space for me but I rarely ever see anyone use it in builds. I always try to use warmer toned lighting and lower brightness to make my houses look more homely. For example this is the same room with standard vs customised lighting
    lights.gif

How were you able to make the lighting in the pic fade? That was neat by the way.

I also don't like tiny swimming pools.

you don't like broke familys backyard? : (
    w-920h-690-1923283.jpg

poor ppl renovated their house all for nothing! :(
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    @Onverser
    Not sure if it's a "trend" as such but I really dislike how many builds just use bright white lighting in every room. Like lighting makes such a difference to a space for me but I rarely ever see anyone use it in builds. I always try to use warmer toned lighting and lower brightness to make my houses look more homely. For example this is the same room with standard vs customised lighting
    lights.gif

How were you able to make the lighting in the pic fade? That was neat by the way.

I also don't like tiny swimming pools.

you don't like broke familys backyard? : (
    w-920h-690-1923283.jpg

poor ppl renovated their house all for nothing! :(

That would have looked nice as a lap pool. :smiley:
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    @Onverser
    lights.gif

I just took two seperate screenshots in the same position with different lighting, and then put them in a gif maker so they gradually blend like that! :)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Chazzzy Reading this made me laugh so hard.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I dislike garages being made because we have no cars and it’s wasted space in my opinion.

I dislike the usage of MOO.

I dislike seeing plants and other objects clipping through walls because they were strangely placed.

I dislike adding toilet paper. I always have to delete it because I always put the toilet in another spot and it annoys me having to put the walls up just to delete the TP.

I dislike when lots and homes are uploaded without being play tested first.

I dislike the usage of clutter. Sometimes they put so much clutter, the surface isn’t even usable by my Sim or will slow down the movement on the lot because the lot has so many objects.

I dislike the usage of columns. I always, always play my game with the walls down 100% and the columns impede my view. They have to go.

I also don’t like to see little 1x1 rooms or “closets” or whatever they call them. I don’t understand the point. I always just incorporate that space into another room.

I like this thread as well. Things I don't like:

1. When toilet paper isn't placed.
    2. When plants clip through the walls.
    3. Tiny kitchens.
    4. Too much clutter.
    That reminds me both in real life and in the Sims I hate when toilet paper faces towards the wall. I also prefer shoe decorations with the toe pointing towards the wall for easy slip in and off. I don't care for builds with talking toilets either. When the mailbox and trash can aren't placed on a lot as well. I like functioning bathrooms too but most of the time the shower or tub isn't faced the right way so Sims can't use it. I think I have odd preference. Most builds I like making must have at least a Baby Yoda and Bob Pancakes decorations too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    This is a very useful thread to read.

WhatI dislike:
    - overuse of clutter. I like some clutter but the room doesn't have a be filled with it. I've seen builds without a free counter or objects placed on top of beds. It makes nice pictures but I don't need it in houses when I play. On large lots, the clutter also slows down my pc significantly.
    - unusable furniture. MOO should only be used for plants and decorations, never for placing functional objects or objects very close to them.
    - unroutable locations in a build. In this regard I hope the stair bug will be fixed soon.
    - objects, especially plants clipping through walls
    - rooms so small that they don't function properly. Some tiny homes look good but are horrible to play with multiple sims.
    - mansions. Managing a family in a large mansion can be so stressful. They take way to long to get to another room, or use the wrong bathroom. Most large lots are public locations in my game, fun to visit but not for every day life.
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    This is a very useful thread to read.

WhatI dislike:
    - overuse of clutter. I like some clutter but the room doesn't have a be filled with it. I've seen builds without a free counter or objects placed on top of beds. It makes nice pictures but I don't need it in houses when I play. On large lots, the clutter also slows down my pc significantly.
    - unusable furniture. MOO should only be used for plants and decorations, never for placing functional objects or objects very close to them.
    - unroutable locations in a build. In this regard I hope the stair bug will be fixed soon.
    - objects, especially plants clipping through walls
    - rooms so small that they don't function properly. Some tiny homes look good but are horrible to play with multiple sims.
    - mansions. Managing a family in a large mansion can be so stressful. They take way to long to get to another room, or use the wrong bathroom. Most large lots are public locations in my game, fun to visit but not for every day life.

For gameplay, I don't really care for mansions either. I prefer houses that have just enough rooms for my households.
  • Options
    eufleufl Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have to say that I love this thread. Sure, I'm guilty of a lot of things mentioned in this thread (like I said previously), but I still enjoy reading the comments. I'll probably still do some of the things that are mentioned because that's what I like. It's all about personal preference to me. Some love bright lights, some hate them. Nonetheless, this is still a fun thread to read. :)

It´s indeed a very good thread. Cause it showed me, that it´s time to leave, and put my creations out of the gallery. I have no clue, how often people used the word "hate" here but often enough to show me, that we builders are not appreciated here at all, if we don´t follow rules, people want to set up, who don´t build.
    Our creativity is of no interest for the most players, who want something to consume but even don´t thank for a download that is given for free (compared download numbers with thanks or comments on the gallery).

Luckily there are sites, where the work of creators is considered as a honorable addition to this game, and people don´t cry, cause a chair is not put at the place, they want it to be put. Lucky me, I am out now, and who knows me, knows, where to find my buildings and other stuff.

Thank you all for the insight into your thoughts about the creative work of others. It was a short but interesting journey into the official forums for me. Good bye!
    Post edited by eufl on
  • Options
    eufl wrote: »

It´s indeed a very good thread. Cause it showed me, that it´s time to leave, and put my creations out of the gallery. I have no clue, how often people used the word "hate" here but often enough to show me, that we builders are not appreciated here at all, if we don´t follow rules, people want to set up, who don´t build.
    Our creativity is of no interest for the most players, who want something to consume but even don´t thank for a download that is given for free (compared download numbers with thanks or comments on the gallery).

Luckily there are sites, where the work of creators is considered as a honorable addition to this game, and people don´t cry, cause a chair is not put at the place, they want it to be put. Lucky me, I am out now, and who knows me, knows, where to find my buildings and other stuff.

Thank you all for the insight into your thoughts about the creative work of others. It was a short but interesting journey into the official forums for me. Good bye!

I'm still going to build what I want. If others like it that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too. I build for me. I don't think OP had any intent to attack anyone or their builds. I think they just wanted to have a little fun. I started building to have fun with another feature of the game. I will continue to do so. I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged to share your builds. If you enjoy building then you should continue building.
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2021

I'm still going to build what I want. If others like it that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too. I build for me. I don't think OP had any intent to attack anyone or their builds. I think they just wanted to have a little fun. I started building to have fun with another feature of the game. I will continue to do so. I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged to share your builds. If you enjoy building then you should continue building.

The poster is only discouraged to share their builds on the gallery. Most likely they will stick to Tumblr, Instagram or other social media platforms where creativity is usually appreciated and players do not mind tweaking a build. As for the OP if you need to add "do not fight in the comments" obviously they knew this could be a heated topic. We recently had a similar thread where builds were being picked apart and the same complaints were mentioned over and over again.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    filipomel wrote: »
    Base game windows. I notice in many build videos (mainly from game changers) that most of their builds use the generic base game suburban windows. I think the base game windows are so ugly, especially since we have some beautiful window sets from Seasons, Cats and Dogs, even Get Famous has some nice subruban generic looking windows. I'm just sick of seeing those base game windows!

Also browns and beiges, can't stand a build that's mainly brown towns, where's the colour?!

Base windows are used because more players will be able to download the lot. It never fails, when a content creator either is building live on Twitch or uploads the lot to the gallery there are always comments like "too many packs" or "please do a base game build." As evidenced in this thread it seems the majority do not enjoy renovating builds to their specific taste.

Ya I understand why the base game windows are so common, I still hate seeing them everywhere. I feel like game changers often play more for others rather than their own enjoyment, but to each their own I guess.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm not in favor of the ultra-modern, must be mostly glass with flat roofs look, myself. Give me a well designed Craftsman cottage and I'm happily.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The typical American suburban home. There are so many of them and they all seem very old fashioned inside. I’m also not a fan of loads of clutter. I hate watching videos of gamechangers making builds and it’s obvious it is not a useable lot due to the amount of MOO used. Usually I build my own lots and will use MOO for minor details that should not affect routing.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

You shouldn't get discouraged by this thread or the people on the forum. I'm a builder, too, and these type of threads show me that people are just as picky as me and there's nothing wrong with that. If you build and have fun doing it, then keep on. I guarantee it that there are people who love your work, but aren't in this thread and they'd appreciate your lots still being in the gallery.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I think I'm going to write "uses all packs" on every build I do so that I don't get anyone downloading my builds. I only put them on there to move between two laptops!

Maybe Maxis could introduce a new Category "Hidden?"
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I think I'm going to write "uses all packs" on every build I do so that I don't get anyone downloading my builds. I only put them on there to move between two laptops!

This thread is becoming very wrong. Why should people have to hide their uploads? Do we now need to apologize for our uploads not meeting someone's criteria of acceptable? Uploads are "as is", if they don't like it they should download something else. They are privileged enough to be able to download and choose from such a large base, if people get the choice to hide their uploads, that base would decrease considerably and they would still not be guaranteed to find something to meet their requirements completely. If they want something completely to their specifications there are requests threads or they should learn how to build.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2021
    crocobaura wrote: »

This thread is becoming very wrong. Why should people have to hide their uploads? Do we now need to apologize for our uploads not meeting someone's criteria of acceptable? Uploads are "as is", if they don't like it they should download something else. They are privileged enough to be able to download and choose from such a large base, if people get the choice to hide their uploads, that base would decrease considerably and they would still not be guaranteed to find something to meet their requirements completely. If they want something completely to their specifications there are requests threads or they should learn how to build.

It's the sort of thing I think of when I get Simmers complaining about missing toilet rolls! B)

I don't like over decoration myself. There has to be something left for the downloader to do so I tend to leave out the garden decorations myself or leave the basement or attic free.
  • Options
    trophy wrote: »

The poster is only discouraged to share their builds on the gallery. Most likely they will stick to Tumblr, Instagram or other social media platforms where creativity is usually appreciated and players do not mind tweaking a build. As for the OP if you need to add "do not fight in the comments" obviously they knew this could be a heated topic. We recently had a similar thread where builds were being picked apart and the same complaints were mentioned over and over again.

I realize now that was a typo on my part. I meant sharing not building. I think OP added that because this forum does have a way of devolving into arguments rather quickly. Of course, I can't speak for OP, I'm just speculating.

Things have gotten off topic a bit, so I think I'm just going to move on from this thread. I'll just leave everyone to it. Have a great day/night/morning everyone! :)
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

It's the sort of thing I think of when I get Simmers complaining about missing toilet rolls! B)

I don't like over decoration myself. There has to be something left for the downloader to do so I tend to leave out the garden decorations myself or leave the basement or attic free.

This is usually how I share. I share an undecorated version...like it's furnished, but has no decor so the player can decorate to match their sims personalities. Then I upload a version that is decorated for the family that will live there in my game so it does have some personality. But I use all the pack items because I don't want to play in a game where I own everything and use nothing. That seems ridiculous. So most people don't download my lots and I'm ok with that. I build for me first and if people like what I share, then that's a happy bonus.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    But I use all the pack items because I don't want to play in a game where I own everything and use nothing.
    This, very much.

Oh and I almost always forget to place the toilet roll.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top