Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Eco Living playable?

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2020
    It's playable, I would recommend simvasion's Eco Lifestyle fixes mod. And I would also recommend that you turn off NPC voting but that's up to you, that way only the NAPs that you yourself vote for will be activated. I have them all turned off, I don't like the neighborhood action plans very much. Sharing is caring was a mess when it was released, I have heard that it has been tuned, that's what simvasion's mod does as well. The other NAPs only caused all sims around me to spam weird actions like playing with clay or the future cube.

I think the pack is fine without the NAPs. I do like the environmental effects when you get a green neighborhood, and turning Evergreen Harbor into a modern, green world is pretty nice. Mt. Komorebi looks very pretty with a green eco footprint as well.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Thanks everyone! You've given me some good info to mull over.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So, I ended up getting the pack. Immediately turned of NAP voting, so no problems with those, and I'm enjoying what the pack added.

But when it's doing that shining "your house is so green!" bask in the light thing, the game slows to a crawl. Is there any way to stop that??
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I think disabling eco footprint in the settings should take care of that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    musteni wrote: »

I thought it might, so I disabled it. It didn't stop it. Sometimes the sky still lights up around my house, and every time the game slows down horribly for several seconds. Sometimes I even get the spinning mouse curser and can't do anything until it stops. I may just remove the generator and recycler from her lot and go back to no power.

I haven't played a house that's on the grid but using power saving devices yet, but I'm hoping they won't be "eco friendly" enough for the stupid light.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • Options
    Callen200Callen200 Posts: 1 New Member
    the amount of times my sim goes Broke because NAP's come to my house and charge me extra because i can't outbid the votes of the town, ive tried buying solar, and water being more green, placing plants, but no matter what i do i constantly get charged extra on bills and end up barely making it by. Turning NAP's off but keeping the eco/neutral/ and industrial States would be nice, my only problem with ECO is just the NAP's, unless i cheese Do a charity livestream for a billion Points its kinda annoying to deal with
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I turned off all gameplay features of eco lifestyle. It is terrible. I can still use the skills and world so for 50% it id acceptable.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I turned off all gameplay features of eco lifestyle. It is terrible. I can still use the skills and world so for 50% it id acceptable.

Wait how because NAPS right now is annoying me. Like I had this sim in college and NAPS said I was using to much water and fined me when there are 3 other roommates in the house and then they said the house wasn't Eco Friendly enough and the bills went up and I can't change the house if its a housing lot.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Wait how because NAPS right now is annoying me.

If you go into the gameplay menu, there is a tab for pack features. There are two boxes there for EL. The first turns off NPC voting for NAPs. After you do that, shift click on your mailbox (or a community board since you said you live in a dorm) and repeal whatever NAP is active, then don't vote on another one. Or enact one you'd prefer. With NPC voting off, only you control them. I simply opted to not have any active in my game.
    You still get popups once a week about NAPs, but that's just because it's an automatic part of gameplay. If you don't personally enact any, then there aren't really any.

The slow down issue with the "eco light", as I think of it, has been less frequent since I unchecked the eco footprint box. Infrequent enough that It's getting easier to ignore (though I would certainly be happier if it stopped altogether). I even added three more generators to my Sim's house. She has a huge mansion, so I was running out of power too fast with only one. She has an extensive garden, and I've discovered that she can easily recycle her harvest each time to fuel the generators.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Wait how because NAPS right now is annoying me.

If you go into the gameplay menu, there is a tab for pack features. There are two boxes there for EL. The first turns off NPC voting for NAPs. After you do that, shift click on your mailbox (or a community board since you said you live in a dorm) and repeal whatever NAP is active, then don't vote on another one. Or enact one you'd prefer. With NPC voting off, only you control them. I simply opted to not have any active in my game.
    You still get popups once a week about NAPs, but that's just because it's an automatic part of gameplay. If you don't personally enact any, then there aren't really any.

The slow down issue with the "eco light", as I think of it, has been less frequent since I unchecked the eco footprint box. Infrequent enough that It's getting easier to ignore (though I would certainly be happier if it stopped altogether). I even added three more generators to my Sim's house. She has a huge mansion, so I was running out of power too fast with only one. She has an extensive garden, and I've discovered that she can easily recycle her harvest each time to fuel the generators.
    It wouldn't be an issue if they considered not to let affect the college world. I mean there is only one family there that isn't in college.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    SimsSlaySimsSlay Posts: 57 Member
    @Sharonia @BlkBarbiegal So turning it off DOES actually work? I saw comments early on about how people had turned them off and they were still affecting their game.

It wasn’t working for me so i had to disable the entire pack about a week ago
  • Options
    SimsSlay wrote: »
    @Sharonia @BlkBarbiegal So turning it off DOES actually work? I saw comments early on about how people had turned them off and they were still affecting their game.

It wasn’t working for me so i had to disable the entire pack about a week ago

I was worried about that. But, thankfully, so far they've stayed off and aren't affecting my game. I might think they were if I hadn't been warned about the weekly popups that still happen, as it is that first one still scared me and I kept checking to make sure they weren't really doing anything.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    @lisamwitt yes, it still freak me out a little bit when it says something has been voted in although it's not. I hope you are enjoying the pack. I haven't done much with it but the little I have played with is enjoyable.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Anyone else has the problem that repealed NAPs stick? This sunday one of my households repealed the water saving one, but come wednesday they got a popup that they were fined for using too much water. I didn't catch if actual money was taken.
    When I try to cheat-remove Water Saving via the mailbox, it isn't there, only another NAP that I voted in.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited December 2020
    Anyone else has the problem that repealed NAPs stick? This sunday one of my households repealed the water saving one, but come wednesday they got a popup that they were fined for using too much water. I didn't catch if actual money was taken.
    When I try to cheat-remove Water Saving via the mailbox, it isn't there, only another NAP that I voted in.

I am having a bug where my sims get fined for using too much water, only the Water NAP was never active. They do get fined. I don't know how to remove this popup/fine.

Other than this bug, I am not having problems with the Eco pack. I am liking it so far, although I haven't played with the new neighborhood yet.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    It was working with everything disabled up until now. All of a sudden, I got an industrial footprint on the Windenburg Island even though every eco living option is disabled as always - not pleased at all.
    When I first got eco lifestyle - I tried like crazy to get an industrial footprint and could never get it - now, it just happened for no reason and with it disabled - sigh.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member

I think sometimes the NAP effects hang around for a bit. Did you try traveling/loading the family again/restarting the game? I haven't had any removed NAP stick around for a long time, but not sure what helps it go away.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

@EnkiSchmidt it's a bug and it looks like they're still working on it. Here's the link to bug report forums and this particular bug thread:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-ECO-Repeal-N-A-P-s-doing-nothing/td-p/9204051

You can add your "me too" there and it looks like they're looking for saves too if you wanted to send them your save file to help them with that. Instructions for sending a save are on page 2 of the thread. :)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    @Camkat
    I think that's a different problem from mine. My sim was able to complete the repeal process. Now Water Saving doesn't show up as active anymore, but is still in effect in the background.

@musteni
    That sim travels a lot, but that didn't stop him from getting fined a second time. I'm about to go into my game and just deleted localthumcache, will see how it goes.
  • Options

I haven't had this issue, but probably because I've avoided NAPs altogether since I bought the pack. I considered instantly enacting one that sounded good, but then decided I was probably better off just continuing to avoid them.
  • Options
    Update on my issue, it went away, my sims didn't get fined again. There also was no day when the water got turned off in two weeks now.
    This was so far the only case where a NAP lingered after getting repealed.

(On a sidenote, this was also the only case where I played the game as intended. Normally when I have the the five signatures, I immediately repeal the NAP via the mailbox cheat, not waiting for Monday afternoon to roll around. Reason is, with four NAPS in effect this way I can already get rid of the unwanted one AND vote in a desireable one instead of having to wait another week.)
  • Options
    Update on my issue, it went away, my sims didn't get fined again. There also was no day when the water got turned off in two weeks now.
    This was so far the only case where a NAP lingered after getting repealed.

(On a sidenote, this was also the only case where I played the game as intended. Normally when I have the the five signatures, I immediately repeal the NAP via the mailbox cheat, not waiting for Monday afternoon to roll around. Reason is, with four NAPS in effect this way I can already get rid of the unwanted one AND vote in a desireable one instead of having to wait another week.)

Sounds like maybe it takes another cycle to go away then. Hopefully you won't have anymore problems.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is fabrication the slowest skill/aspiration ever?
    Projects take a long time to do and the skill takes a really long time to build. My Sim started the fabrication aspiration as soon as she was a teen. I immediately put her to work learning the skill and doing the tasks. She's now lived 42 days (I have it set on short), if she weren't a vampire she'd be an elder now, and I'm bored out of my skull with it. She's on skill level 9 and hasn't completed the aspiration yet.
    I don't think I'll play this aspiration again.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I just couldn't bring myself to buy it even with it being 50% off. I have far too many worries about it.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I just couldn't bring myself to buy it even with it being 50% off. I have far too many worries about it.

Same. It's a pity, because I like other aspects of the pack. But I won't buy it when the NAPS and Eco Footprint are still broken.