Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR will be reviewing Snowy Escape (Out Now)

Comments

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    You much have different standards then for how bulky a 40€ game should be
    @SimmerGeorge
    High standards. Different Interests.
    Actually for the gondola ride they wouldn't even have to animate anything. They could (even though that isn't so immersive either) just do it as a rabbithole with the plumbob on top and the camera following the sims. The camera thing is absolutely nothing difficult or new, it already exists in the game, being in the air changes almost nothing from a coding point of view. In my opinion, leaving out easy to do details like that break the immersion 100% even if you end up fast forwarding the interaction, it's about immersion, you should never think too rationally about the sims because logic isn't what this game is based on.
    A rabbit hole ride would be more reason to press the fast forward button. I'm all for immersion, so I'm not going by the game's logic. I'm going by the developers logic. Folks have no patience. They'll speed through the "interaction", so Company says: leave it out, because we're not wasting resources on this, even if it only means adding one simple line of coding.
    If folks sign a petition to give that gondola ride an overhaul, then perhaps Maxis will consider adding it. But I doubt anyone cares that much. I'm sure folks have forgotten about that gondola by now and just want to get to the top of the hill and laugh at their sims failing and falling while flying down the hill.
    I would argue even more of it is reused but that's just how I see it. I think people assume it is reused, since so many things in this pack are reused. Someone made a list of the packs and honestly they were features from more than 6 packs reused, from tents, to woohoo animations, to rock climbing, snow etc. can't remember everything. It really feels like EA is following the same plan they do with FIFA by re-releasing the same stuff with a different name and hope people won't notice. Maybe one day they will forget to change the name and re-release the same game like they did with FIFA 2020 lol.
    Sure. I don't play FIFA and I don't really care how many lists folks create regarding re-used animations. I'm sure there are quite a few.
    However, I did watch and compare the fitness wall motions and the rock wall motions all by my very self and although some animations have been used for the rock wall (it makes 100% sense from an animation point of view) there are some significant differences between both. They are very significant differences indeed. As a paying customer I wouldn't have been happy at all if that rock climbing skill included 100% recycled fitness wall animations, but that's just not the way it is, even if folks like to believe it is.
    I was wary of these things before committing to the pack due to the critique it got. But I've seen it for myself and I'm quite happy with how that feature is executed. Trying to argue with me about that specifically is like trying to travel through a solid rock wall while hanging upside down in a immobile gondola....

Again, I haven't had the time to explore the pack enough to offer a general conclusion, but these are the things I observed so far.
    It's personal opinion. You prefer LGR's opinion, not mine and that's totally cool, even if it makes me a little sad.
    Only messing. ;)
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @SimmerGeorge @SimTrippy i do like his reviews and think he is a good reviewer just sometimes I personally find his reviews a bit harsh more so on the stuff packs. The thing I have noticed is some and I do mean some people on this forum have said they won’t get a pack until he has reviewed it. I don’t understand that as I think people either get a pack if they want it or they should watch many different reviews to get a balanced viewpoint on things not just lgr. There are some you tubers I now avoid due to them being either sickly sweet towards the game or way too negative about everything in the game (lgr isn’t one of them)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I know a lot of people say that but honestly I can't see it with this game. The Sims 4 doesn't offer less in compensation for offering more in another category, it just offers less in general. So I don't see how that would apply sorry.

A rabbit hole ride would be more reason to press the fast forward button. I'm all for immersion, so I'm not going by the game's logic. I'm going by the developers logic. Folks have no patience. They'll speed through the "interaction", so Company says: leave it out, because we're not wasting resources on this, even if it only means adding one simple line of coding.
    If folks sign a petition to give that gondola ride an overhaul, then perhaps Maxis will consider adding it. But I doubt anyone cares that much. I'm sure folks have forgotten about that gondola by now and just want to get to the top of the hill and laugh at their sims failing and falling while flying down the hill.

Again this is using too much logic. The truth is they could just leave out the using toilet and showering animations too since everybody fast forwards them but many players just like to know certain things are taking place even in 3x times speed. The rabbithole thing is literally such an easy way to satisfy that interest without wasting almost no resources. It's so easy to do.
    And to be fair they could have also added those open gondola rides, so we can even see the Sims sitting and talking and stuff. And in order to create that they would just have to use the already existent sitting and talking animations, just on a certain height. This is so easy and such a missed oppurtunity. More fine tuning would be apprieciated, especially for the price of 40€ which let's not neglect to say is the same price as tons of new full games out there.
    Sure. I don't play FIFA and I don't really care how many lists folks create regarding re-used animations. I'm sure there are quite a few.
    However, I did watch and compare the fitness wall motions and the rock wall motions all by my very self and although some animations have been used for the rock wall (it makes 100% sense from an animation point of view) there are some significant differences between both. They are very significant differences indeed. As a paying customer I wouldn't have been happy at all if that rock climbing skill included 100% recycled fitness wall animations, but that's just not the way it is, even if folks like to believe it is.

Listen it does absolutely make sense and this is where I agree with you completely, but if you reuse something you should make sure you are stepping it up a bit with the rest. They just also made the poor choice of putting in hot springs as a feature of this pack which uses the same water, woohoo animations as other packs and is in its concept very similar to Spa Day. Also the Zen thing is very similar to the wellness thing from Spa Day.
    And unfortunately with the skiing and snowboarding they didn't step it up as much. There's tons they could have added with all that budget they got like creating competitive extreme sports. I know a lot of people wanted to make proffesional winter athletes with this pack and if this isn't the pack to add that, then what is?
    Also it would be so cool to have like a GoPro feature for your adventures to then post on your blog, or that whole Simstagram thing from the gameplay trailer would have been a great idea as a gameplay feature.
    I'm thinking of these things off the top of my head so I don't see how people who get payed for coming up with cool ideas like these can only come up with "okay, let's have them snowboard down a slope and as the sims get better, they get more advanced animations, cool, cased closed, nothing more". This is the Sims 4, let's step it up a bit now.
    Trying to argue with me about that specifically is like trying to travel through a solid rock wall while hanging upside down in a immobile gondola....

That doesn't really bother me, this is what the forums are for anyway. If I get tired I just won't respond anymore.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I like LGR and his reviews, I just don't necessarily have to agree with him. I really like the sound of his voice, very soothing, lol. But for some reason he seemed a bit snarkier to me this time. Maybe it's my imagination but I think he doesn't play sims anymore and really does not like the game now.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I like LGR and his reviews, I just don't necessarily have to agree with him. I really like the sound of his voice, very soothing, lol. But for some reason he seemed a bit snarkier to me this time. Maybe it's my imagination but I think he doesn't play sims anymore and really does not like the game now.

I think he still likes the Sims. I just don’t think he likes the Sims 4 and that’s fine. He certainly isn’t the only one that feels this way. I love the Sims 4 but at the same time I do think people have valid reasons not to like it as well.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I haven't really considered him as a reviewer I would take note of since he said he installed Sims 4 again to review one of the packs in a video. He's not a player any more, just a critic.
  • Options

I know a lot of people say that but honestly I can't see it with this game. The Sims 4 doesn't offer less in compensation for offering more in another category, it just offers less in general. So I don't see how that would apply sorry.
    @SimmerGeorge
    Of course you can't see how that would apply, because the game doesn't offer any compensation to your personal play style.
    I have my own substantial list of criticism of the game and yet I have found many ways to enjoy it. Like a lot of others. Not everybody plays this game the same way. It's The Sims of all games. We all know that. So no more essays on that.

Again, I haven't played with most of the features in Snowy Land. All I've done is go for a hike and do a bit of rock climbing (I've been doing this for hours mind you. Days. Days.)
    I honestly can't say anything about zen, onsen (recycled animations...woohoo? I don't know yet ), hotpots, the green marshmallow man, all the winter sport activities, festivals...etc....I don't even know what the Bunny Slope looks like. What I did do for the first time is fully train a dog from that Cats & Dogs pack I had lying around for years...somehow it just made sense to do that at this moment in time...

I might be able to tell somewhere in early 2021 whether or not I feel this pack was worth the 37 EU I spent. Someone else can tell you on the same day they bought the pack. Good for them and those who need a quick game review to make that decision. I just happen to play Slowy Escape and love Thunder Snow. Slow. Snow.
    This is the Sims 4, let's step it up a bit now.
    Let's step it up, Sims 4. It's only been 6 looong years for a lot of people...and somehow they're still waiting for that miracle.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

@SimmerGeorge
    Of course you can't see how that would apply, because the game doesn't offer any compensation to your personal play style.
    I have my own substantial list of criticism of the game and yet I have found many ways to enjoy it. Like a lot of others. Not everybody plays this game the same way. It's The Sims of all games. We all know that. So no more essays on that.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 The thing is, when a product is made there is a sum in number of features that come with it and the sims 4 games have always had a smaller sum of features. This is not an opinion, you can look it up on wiki. It has all features listed which you can compare to previous games.
    Now many people say the Sims 4 has less features but they are more fleshed-out, sometimes this is true but many times it isn't. You can see that in the amount of reused things with this pack, to the activities that come with the pack not offering very much to do (I gave examples for this in my previous post).

I know people like to use the "it's all an opinion arguement" and to be honest, if you like or do not like this game is fully an opinion. However, the Sims 4 packs in fact usually come with less (look it up) it's just some people aren't bothered by that. If you are one of those people that is 100% fine. You can say, "though this pack comes with less stuff than pack in previous games did, I still like it", that is fine. But don't say "if this pack is full with features is completely subjective" cause it's not, again, wiki has the answers.
  • Options
    I know people like to use the "it's all an opinion arguement" and to be honest, if you like or do not like this game is fully an opinion. However, the Sims 4 packs in fact usually come with less (look it up) it's just some people aren't bothered by that. If you are one of those people that is 100% fine. You can say, "though this pack comes with less stuff than pack in previous games did, I still like it", that is fine. But don't say "if this pack is full with features is completely subjective" cause it's not, again, wiki has the answers.

@SimmerGeorge
    Quantity quantity. I’m not sure if I want to spend my valuable free time visiting SIMS WIKI trying to compare every feature ever made in every sims title unless it gets me a decent PhD degree from doing that.
    Here’s the thing: Features and features are two. Take toddlers. Same life stage featuring in 3 main titles. They don’t do the same in those 3 games. One could argue that TS4 toddlers have more in depth gameplay than those in any other Sims title.
    But when we look at the baby life stage none of the main titles seem to have them as fleshed out as they are in the sims FreePlay....which is ‘just’ a mobile game. Why? I don’t know. Different Studio. Different priorities.
    I’m just taking obvious examples, because there are many demanding family/ legacy players out there. Personally I don’t care for toddlers or baby things. Except for when they wear those little snowy suits. Then I do. For some weird reason...🤔

Do sims 4 toddlers compensate for the lack of cars? Or open world? Or dive lots? Or fears? Yes to some. No to others.
    Best to have it all of course, but nobody is ever going to be entirely happy.

Point is, Wiki doesn’t tell me anything about the quality of each game. It tells me about the quantity of features available in game, which is of no real interest to me. We could try to compare five TS3 gameplay objects against an in-depth Sims 4 vampire ranking system, or can we? If we had to choose, which would we rather, one or the other? It’s still subjective.
    (Yes yes we want it all and more, but that hasn’t happened yet).

I play to have quality time. If I feel I spent my time well exploring a game and having fun with it than that makes me a satisfied player. And I may feel it was worth the price I paid.
    Somebody else just uninstalls TS4 and moves on because there’s absolutely nothing left in that game that makes them happy. And that’s fair enough. Saves some space too.
    And LGR doesn’t think Snowy Escape is worth the full price. That’s also fair enough. And his opinion.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I like his reviews, they’re honest and entertaining. In this one he sounds a bit bored though, or is it just me ?
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I like his reviews, they’re honest and entertaining. In this one he sounds a bit bored though, or is it just me ?

Maybe he was bored. I think he's made it obvious for a while that the Sims 4 doesn't interest him.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

@SimmerGeorge
    Quantity quantity. I’m not sure if I want to spend my valuable free time visiting SIMS WIKI trying to compare every feature ever made in every sims title unless it gets me a decent PhD degree from doing that.
    Here’s the thing: Features and features are two. Take toddlers. Same life stage featuring in 3 main titles. They don’t do the same in those 3 games. One could argue that TS4 toddlers have more in depth gameplay than those in any other Sims title.
    But when we look at the baby life stage none of the main titles seem to have them as fleshed out as they are in the sims FreePlay....which is ‘just’ a mobile game. Why? I don’t know. Different Studio. Different priorities.
    I’m just taking obvious examples, because there are many demanding family/ legacy players out there. Personally I don’t care for toddlers or baby things. Except for when they wear those little snowy suits. Then I do. For some weird reason...🤔

Do sims 4 toddlers compensate for the lack of cars? Or open world? Or dive lots? Or fears? Yes to some. No to others.

Point is, Wiki doesn’t tell me anything about the quality of each game. It tells me about the quantity of features available in game, which is of no real interest to me. We could try to compare five TS3 gameplay objects against an in-depth Sims 4 vampire ranking system, or can we? If we had to choose, which would we rather, one or the other? It’s still subjective.

I play to have quality time. If I feel I spent my time well exploring a game and having fun with it than that makes me a satisfied player. And I may feel it was worth the price I paid.
    Somebody else just uninstalls TS4 and moves on because there’s absolutely nothing left in that game that makes them happy. And that’s fair enough. Saves some space too.
    And LGR doesn’t think Snowy Escape is worth the full price. That’s also fair enough. And his opinion.
    Toddlers do nothing for me they are the most annoying age group and I usually get stuck with the toddlers that don't mind anyone and do what they want. So nope that isn't what I asked for.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I love his Sim review videos I watch them all! They are really funny and honest which I like.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I didn't like it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Some people say they like his reviews because he is honest. I agreed 100% on that.

But... as clearly can be seen , he is sick/tired/bored of the game for good, that alone makes me not to want to watch more.. yes he is honest, from the start, as a person who is not even interested of the game anymore, at all.

I fail to see the "honest" part, if he already is biased before reviewing.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Why does he still pay for the game then if he’s not interested ? Cause he doesn’t get free review copies, he buys his own.
    Some people say they like his reviews because he is honest. I agreed 100% on that.

But... as clearly can be seen , he is sick/tired/bored of the game for good, that alone makes me not to want to watch more.. yes he is honest, from the start, as a person who is not even interested of the game anymore, at all.

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Why does he still pay for the game then if he’s not interested ? Cause he doesn’t get free review copies, he buys his own.

My best bet would be by public demand.. people want to see his reviews, and what he earns from his channels, buying Pack for a certain game wont make any difference.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

I love that he takes so much time to prepare these too. Some Gamechangers (ain't gonna say names but you know) release a so called "review" of the pack the day it comes out but they haven't fully explored it, played it for longer than 10 hours and sometimes don't even provide footage, all in the name of being the first person to post a review so they can get the views.
    At least LGR sits his ❤️❤️❤️❤️ down and prepares a bit more.
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I love that he takes so much time to prepare these too. Some Gamechangers (ain't gonna say names but you know) release a so called "review" of the pack the day it comes out but they haven't fully explored it, played it for longer than 10 hours and sometimes don't even provide footage, all in the name of being the first person to post a review so they can get the views.
    At least LGR sits his ❤️❤️❤️❤️ down and prepares a bit more.

Actually, that's not really correct. They get the pack early specifically so they can review it and help other people decide if this pack is something they'd want or not. So it makes sense for them to do exactly that. And no, it doesn't mean their reviews have to be positive, not all of them are, but I'm relatively sure that if they get their early copies 2 weeks before release to only post a review 7-10 days after the pack's already come out, EA might consider giving their early review copy to someone else instead. So I think you're simplifying a bit here.

agree.

some get early access to the game to review it, etc.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

Some may see it from the standpoint that since he is so tired of the game and how its packs have gone and has a reputation for not pulling punches, when he gives praise, they can be sure it's genuine and is in no way influenced by pressure to find stuff to be happy about. I think some people are as tired of how things have gone as he is, so they can also relate to how he feels about it. Granted, it is biased. All reviews are. That's why (in my view) more useful reviews focus less on personal impressions and more on an analysis of the thing, from the standpoint of like... what it's advertised to be, what the expectations for it are, etc.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

I agree with you @CAPTAIN_NXR7
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    the reason I felt it was bad was he didn't talk about any of the good points of the pack snowboarding is way better then it was in any other sims
    game its its own skill they can get hurt doing it can make money with it and maybe even die if they get hurt enough times
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 We are talking about the packs here and not base game content and the toddlers are one of the rare example where they became better than previous iterations.
    As I said, but you don't seem to listen, I realize there are things that are better in quality so that compansates for the lack of quantity but I fail to see any example of these in the Snowy Escape pack. It is a pack with it's main features being new skills. This was never the case with previous Sims games. They all came with more than new skills and a world.

Again I am talking about how much more quantity the Sims 2 and 3 packs had in comparison to the Sims 4 and this is a fact you can check the wiki. If you think your time is too precious then don't make arguements claiming to know what came in the previous games.
    New objects? Really? You know how many Supernaturals came with the Sims 3 Supernatural? No? Go look it up. Also the point here is not to compare game packs with expansion packs so you can keep that arguement.

Not everything is just subjective or an opinion and that;s what I am trying to tell you. When you sell any product, the price is supposed to somehow reflect the work put in it and this is how reviewers judge those packs. If you want to buy a pack just for a window that's your business doesn't justify the price. It may be worth it to you because you love that one window so much but you should be able to understand that a window doesn't take the amount of effort and time to reflect on the 40€ you are paying.

So, see the difference between opinion and fact? I certainly hope so.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    They could make an expansion pack with game pack level supernatural.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    As I said, but you don't seem to listen, I realize there are things that are better in quality so that compansates for the lack of quantity but I fail to see any example of these in the Snowy Escape pack. It is a pack with it's main features being new skills. This was never the case with previous Sims games. They all came with more than new skills and a world.
    @SimmerGeorge
    I don't seem to listen... I think I've been very clear about the fact that I haven't yet explored every feature offered in Snowy Escape, so it is still impossible for me to draw a comparison between other packs or iterations. I mentioned one feature that LGR failed to comment on which is the rock climbing skill. Gondola aside, it's all I really did.
    I have little else to say about SE...because I simply didn't play with it enough.
    Also the point here is not to compare game packs with expansion packs so you can keep that arguement.
    In that case there is very little point in comparing any title with TS4. TS4 follows a completely different formula. It's a different game. It does things differently. I believe none of the titles follow the exact same pattern as its predecessor. No pack is the same. TS4 doesn't have a TS3 store. Witches in TS2 came with Apartment Life, not with a Supernatural pack and so on and so forth. Perhaps we should be comparing features, not packs.
    Not everything is just subjective or an opinion and that;s what I am trying to tell you.
    I know what you're trying to tell me. You're trying to tell me I shouldn't have spent 40 dollars on Snowy Escape because it's not worth my money.
    When you sell any product, the price is supposed to somehow reflect the work put in it and this is how reviewers judge those packs.
    Of course. I'm sure there are plenty of cute little pop stars who have spent many hours in the studio recording an album that many think is worth the retail price, whereas I would not even think of spending one of my odd socks on such album. I'd rather use it to wipe my dirty kitchen counter with. Yet a reviewer will tell me it's the best album of the year. No it's not. Same with a game.
    I know for a fact that a lot of works goes into creating Sims 4 packs. Those packs haven't always been satisfactory to some folks, because these folks feel the work should have been spent on something else than what it was spent on. That's a fair argument not everybody has to agree with.
    If you want to buy a pack just for a window that's your business doesn't justify the price. It may be worth it to you because you love that one window so much but you should be able to understand that a window doesn't take the amount of effort and time to reflect on the 40€ you are paying.
    I certainly understand that. Fact is, TS4 never sold a window for 40 dollars. That window was included in a pack that offered gameplay systems, a new world perhaps, other objects. Whether you like it or not and feel it was worth the full price is a different story.
    Vampires got nerfed because somebody paid twenty dollars for a window but didn't want the Vampire.

With the high level of discount sales happening for Sims 4 one only pays 40 dollars for an EP to get immediate access at release. There is absolutely no reason not to wait for a sale and get the EP for half price a couple of months later.
    So the real question is, does immediate access justify the price? Was my 'impatience' worth 40 dollars?
    So, see the difference between opinion and fact? I certainly hope so.
    In fact, I do. Do you?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Of course. I'm sure there are plenty of cute little pop stars who have spent many hours in the studio recording an album that many think is worth the retail price, whereas I would not even think of spending one of my odd socks on such album. I'd rather use it to wipe my dirty kitchen counter with. Yet a reviewer will tell me it's the best album of the year. No it's not. Same with a game.
    I know for a fact that a lot of works goes into creating Sims 4 packs. Those packs haven't always been satisfactory to some folks, because these folks feel the work should have been spent on something else than what it was spent on. That's a fair argument not everybody has to agree with.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Exactly, this is always the part you seem to get wrong and I end up believing you really don't know the difference between justifying a price based on a personal prefrence that makes it worth it to you and justifying a price based on what the product you are buying is actually worth (in terms of work, time put in, quality etc.).
    You wouldn't wipe your behind with a Lady Gaga album but that doesn't necessarily mean the album should be priced lower than toilet paper. Same with superfans who would buy a Lady Gaga album even if it cost 400$ a piece. That also doesn't reflect the time, work and expenses that went in to create the album.

Also your discount arguement doesn't work because a reviewer has to review a pack based on its price. If the price originally is 40$ then it is basically saying "this pack has content in it that is worth 40$ by today's video game standards". So a reviewer has to take that into consideration, just like LGR always does.
    Maybe the pack is totally awesome to get for 20$ but that shouldn't change a reviewer's or the public's opinion. If the content in the pack is (again by today's video game standards, not based your opinion, I repeat not based your opinion) is only worth 25$ then that should be the price of the pack from the start.