Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR will be reviewing Snowy Escape (Out Now)

12346...Next

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    You wouldn't wipe your behind with a Lady Gaga album but that doesn't necessarily mean the album should be priced lower than toilet paper.
    @SimmerGeorge
    I believe this is where you misunderstand me. You’re right about the first part, the thing about my behind. In the second part, however, you are speaking of the current market value of a specific product. In this case a music album.
    I’m the last person to call up Lady Gaga in the middle of the night to tell her she has to lower the price of her album just to please me. I work in the creative industry. I have an understanding of how much time, money and effort goes into “creating” and “producing” content within the entertainment industry.
    I would hope the album that an artist lists on various musical platforms will generate enough revenue for them to make back the money they spent on recording, hiring technicians/ musicians, the recording studio, promotion, etc. Same goes for illustrators, writers, filmmakers, game developers etc. It’s the only way to successfully run a business. You don’t want to lose money, you want to make money.

Thing is, if I -as a potential customer- don’t like the music, I will not buy the album. If my taste in music doesn’t think the album is worth $15, I will not spend the money on it. Even at half price.
    This, however does not mean that the album, like any other album, shouldn’t be on the market for $15. It should. In fact, I may have paid $15 on the artist’s previous album. It was that good. I’m bound to feel a little sad if I don’t think their latest album is as great as their previous albums, because I always felt a fondness for their art. Of course I’d feel melancholic and annoyed if their art suddenly doesn’t resonate with me anymore. It’s too different. So I can either decide that I’m not going to be their customer for now, or I keep supporting them. In both cases I can let them know what I don’t like about their current album. Hopefully they can take feedback on board if enough customers feel similar to me, so they can get some of the mood and essence of previous work back in their next couple of singles.

With Sims...same? Also, the game is priced at whatever the “current market value” of a life simulator is. Problem here is that there are no other life simulators. At least not of the same complexity as Sims. There is no real competition. Prices can only be compared to what came before in the same franchise. Outside of providing an overview of content, that’s all that reviewers are doing, mixed with their own opinions of what they deem ‘quality’ or not. What is ‘gameplay’ or not. What is ‘fun’ or not.
    At the end of the day it’s still only an opinion.
    I really don’t know what else I can say on this. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Sounds like LGR already bored with game.

anyway..
    200.gif
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    You wouldn't wipe your behind with a Lady Gaga album but that doesn't necessarily mean the album should be priced lower than toilet paper.
    @SimmerGeorge
    I believe this is where you misunderstand me. You’re right about the first part, the thing about my behind. In the second part, however, you are speaking of the current market value of a specific product. In this case a music album.
    I’m the last person to call up Lady Gaga in the middle of the night to tell her she has to lower the price of her album just to please me. I work in the creative industry. I have an understanding of how much time, money and effort goes into “creating” and “producing” content within the entertainment industry.

With Sims...same? Also, the game is priced at whatever the “current market value” of a life simulator is. Problem here is that there are no other life simulators. At least not of the same complexity as Sims. There is no real competition. Prices can only be compared to what came before in the same franchise. Outside of providing an overview of content, that’s all that reviewers are doing, mixed with their own opinions of what they deem ‘quality’ or not. What is ‘gameplay’ or not. What is ‘fun’ or not.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 But that's exactly it, the same way the price of a music album is partially dependent on "how much time, money and effort goes into “creating” and “producing” content" so time in the studio, producing etc. that way sims pack prices should also be dependent on how much time, effort, compexity in coding, amount of new coded content, amount of new animations needed to be made etc.

So as a reviewer you have to judge the pack based on that and sometimes when people say there's not enough in the pack, it's not just their opinion, they just can't justify the 40$ in a pack that isn't as complex to code, doesn't have many new features or animations and the features it has aren't so in-depth to actually require a lot of time to make.
    And this is exactly the thing with tons of Sims 4 packs. A lot of reviewers can't justify the price based on all those things I just mentioned. Notice a pattern here, many of the reviewers who say the pack isn't worth the money actually know a lot about gaming, coding or play other games and have different standards than let's say a person who just plays the Sims.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Sounds like LGR already bored with game.

anyway..
    200.gif

He is. The Sims 4 anyway. I think he still enjoys the previous versions of the Sims. He's made no secret about not enjoying the Sims 4. I feel like he's only really still reviewing it because of popular demand.
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    > @Sharonia said:
    > He is. The Sims 4 anyway. I think he still enjoys the previous versions of the Sims. He's made no secret about not enjoying the Sims 4. I feel like he's only really still reviewing it because of popular demand.

I've been watching a lot of his older reviews lately since I'm thinking about finally picking up TS3 since I held out on it to save up for TS4... And from the videos I've watched he seems to be like a lot of long time sims players. The franchise holds a special place and there's a fondness for the older generations (especially TS1 and 2), but there's a big disappointment for where the sims currently is. I think him still reviewing TS4 comes from still liking the sims as a franchise and critiquing it to provide well, necessary criticism so Hopefully things could improve, especially if we are to ever see a sims 5. Also a lot of people who don't even play the sims like watching his reviews for it, so it's definitely in demand.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    @SimmerGeorge
    I would hope the album that an artist lists on various musical platforms will generate enough revenue for them to make back the money they spent on recording, hiring technicians/ musicians, the recording studio, promotion, etc. Same goes for illustrators, writers, filmmakers, game developers etc. It’s the only way to successfully run a business. You don’t want to lose money, you want to make money.

Thing is, if I -as a potential customer- don’t like the music, I will not buy the album. If my taste in music doesn’t think the album is worth $15, I will not spend the money on it. Even at half price.
    This, however does not mean that the album, like any other album, shouldn’t be on the market for $15. It should. In fact, I may have paid $15 on the artist’s previous album. It was that good. I’m bound to feel a little sad if I don’t think their latest album is as great as their previous albums, because I always felt a fondness for their art. Of course I’d feel melancholic and annoyed if their art suddenly doesn’t resonate with me anymore. It’s too different. So I can either decide that I’m not going to be their customer for now, or I keep supporting them. In both cases I can let them know what I don’t like about their current album. Hopefully they can take feedback on board if enough customers feel similar to me, so they can get some of the mood and essence of previous work back in their next couple of singles.

It's not about, is the music worth $15. It's about, every other album on the market that is music which appeals to you charges $15 for 12 songs and this album charges $15 for 3 songs. You still like the 3 songs but the value for money was lower.

Compared to what I get for the same amount of money in other games I feel that Sims 4 Expacs are worth about half what they actually charge, so that's what I pay for them. I mostly like the content, I just think there's much less of it than there should be.