Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

100+ New Skin Tones and Makeup Sliders Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    Simmers: skintones, skintones we want better skintones, representation, we shouldn’t have to rely on CC!

EA: we’ll give you 100 + new skintones plus sliders.

Simmers: no no keep your 100+ skintones they’ll break our CC!

🤷🏻‍♂️

Nah. It’s more like:

Simmers: We’d like more/better skin tones, but please don’t break anything.

EA: We’ll give you 100+ skin tones, but we might break everything.

Simmers: 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    That's simmers who didnt care about the lack of skintones or splotchy skintones saying they dont want their mods broken. Plenty of simmers have definitely wanted more skintones that are less yellow, blue, ashy blue, and splotchy.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    That's simmers who didnt care about the lack of skintones or splotchy skintones saying they dont want their mods broken. Plenty of simmers have definitely wanted more skintones that are less yellow, blue, ashy blue, and splotchy.

Absolutely. And again I have a very very harsh attitude against CC; if you use it and it breaks, it's your fault for using it. EA and Maxis has absolutely NO moral obligation to care whatsoever about what happens to mods when updating the game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 892 Member

Absolutely. And again I have a very very harsh attitude against CC; if you use it and it breaks, it's your fault for using it. EA and Maxis has absolutely NO moral obligation to care whatsoever about what happens to mods when updating the game.

I agree with this and I am a heavy mod user. Use at your own risk and know how to update if necessary or don't use mods or cc.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

OshinSims
    Simsfan923
    EbonixSims
    DeeSims
    itsmeTroi
    HeyHarrie
    crypticsim
    KawaiiStacie
    savvvysweet
    MmmKhayy
    Thanks. I love a lot of those streamers too. I found out about HeyHarrie through Levi aka LeaMorgana. I didn't know Simsfan streams. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020

Sure, but that’s a tough pill to swallow when these mods/CC have not only been making up for the game’s shortcomings, but they’ve also been making it better - for years. Bethesda understands this better than anyone and they choose to support work of their modding community as a result.

And EA/Maxis ought to read the room and understand that if they’re not going to take mods/CC into consideration, they better be ready for even more backlash because suddenly all the cracks that have been papered over will begin to show through.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    This sounds like a lovely update <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2020
    I really appreciate the skin colors ... BUT.. what about the haircolors? they probably gonna look weird on most skin tones... I thought they would bring us a slider for haircolors too... only makes sense but nope... I'm pretty sure some colors wont really fit like the yellowy ones and the brown ones.. strange. plus even most MOBILE games give us more haircolors than a SIMULATION game on PC... =/
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I’m happy for all the simmers who can enjoy this update. I won’t be able to as it won’t support my graphics card reading the update news so hey ho I guess this is the end of the sims 4 line for me.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I hope there will be sliders for hair as well. That would be awesome.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,412 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »

They only said they'll fix four hairs. Don't think they will add sliders to hairs too. I don't really mind the hair colours except for the yellow cheese shade that tries to pass for blonde hair.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Wolfium wrote: »

They only said they'll fix four hairs. Don't think they will add sliders to hairs too. I don't really mind the hair colours except for the yellow cheese shade that tries to pass for blonde hair.

Maybe it can be added in the future. Current hair colours are good, and hair sliders would bring more uniqueness.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,134 Member
    I'm glad I don't use mods & cc so that my game won't break down.
    I'm so looking forward to the new Sims 4 skin tones.😁
  • Options
    the_red_simmerthe_red_simmer Posts: 36 Member
    [quote="SERVERFRA;c-17673127"]I'm glad I don't use mods & cc so that my game won't break down.
    I'm so looking forward to the new Sims 4 skin tones.😁[/quote]

Honestly same! I’m super excited for the skin tone sliders too! Once the sliders are in the game, I’m curious to see how it’s incorporated into other aspects like hair and clothes!
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    Yubell wrote: »
    Grynn wrote: »
    Yubell wrote: »
    Great. but why has it taken this long? they shouldn't have to be told to be inclusive. I'm not going to sit here and praise them for something that should've been in the base game 6 YEARS AGO. If it wasn't for the BLM movement and the backlash they'd have never even bothered to do it.

Thanks but I'm bored.

I will praise them for delivering things that fans asked, even if little by little as long as they eventually get the game right, otherwise what's the point of even asking for stuff? it's just complaining for the sake of complaining then.

This has been a consistent problem for a very long time. they've only now bothered to add it because of the backlash, they've shown time and time again that they do not care for your feedback, if they really cared at all about our feedback we wouldn't have had to wait years on end for content that should've been in the base game; all the while they pump out packs no one asked for. I wrote my comment because I'm fed up with everyone congratulating and worshiping EA for giving us content we should've had years ago. You're all entitled to your opinions, whether you agree or disagree with me or whether or not you're excited, congratulations I wish I held your optimism. That this rate it'll be another 10 years before we finally get a good pack.

Overall I'm VERY critical of The Sims 4, in fact, I went back to The Sims 3 and I don't regret it, unlike The Sims 4 it is an actually FUN game, so much fun that I have to actually set time constraints otherwise I lose my entire day playing it, meanwhile when playing The Sims 4 I can't play 10 minutes in live mode without wanting to close the game instantly.

Yet, I can praise individual choices that make the game closer to something that I actually would want to play.

Is it enough? absolutely not, but there are many things that The Sims 4 is lacking, MANY, they can't possibly deliver it all at once.
  • Options
    Here's the thing:
    If they, or anyone, don't get praise for doing good then they learn the lesson to never bother.

If you think that only stick and never carrot is a good thing to teaching ANYONE anything then you are simply wrong.

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Since we know they can add sliders to the game, that opens up so many possibilities for future updates, possibly even including a color wheel! I don't really care much for having it for clothes and stuff, but it would be revolutionary for hair colors.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    I’m happy for all the simmers who can enjoy this update. I won’t be able to as it won’t support my graphics card reading the update news so hey ho I guess this is the end of the sims 4 line for me.

@netney52 This is not at all the end for you. If you don’t have a graphics card that is compatible with the October update all it means is the original skin tones might look the same to you as they do now, & the December ones may not look the same on your machine as they will on a more powerful one, it does not mean that the update will break your computer or your graphics card at all and you do not have to give up playing the game.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    You know what I would love? I besides haircolor swatches, they also added hair texture swatches for all hairstyles.
    Like, if we had that Amber Stein chanel:latest?cb=20150410224307
    In this texture swatch: alanna-arrington-attends-the-2018-fashion-group-news-photo-1053663988-1566931327.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*
    Or this texture swatch: maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yuna wrote: »
    I really appreciate the skin colors ... BUT.. what about the haircolors? they probably gonna look weird on most skin tones... I thought they would bring us a slider for haircolors too... only makes sense but nope... I'm pretty sure some colors wont really fit like the yellowy ones and the brown ones.. strange. plus even most MOBILE games give us more haircolors than a SIMULATION game on PC... =/
    I would love more hair colors too. We really need a good dark purple option. I would love to have my dark burgundy color in the game too and yes it is dyed because of the greys.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I'm looking forward to the update. More options for skintones is a good thing. I hope they will update hair colours eventually too.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member

Technically this is a MAJOR mandatory mod for the game, if you want to update regularly. Created and endorsed by EA and Maxis. So if it "breaks" any existing small CC skin-tone mods, this huge one will more than make up for it. (In my opinion) ;) Even if it does require alot of 'horsepower' to run, at least it will be 'base game'. The only downside is if it does slow down the game, it can't just be deleted like a CC mod.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    (Sorry to double post)
    Personally I'm if favor of anything that adds more control over the details and fun (and bug fixes) to the game. Including mods and CC and expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs. The last major overhaul to the graphics (and also the one not having the Sim people getting stuck all the time) was quite impressive!

But come to think of it, having several sliders for skin tones may have been a more efficient and easier way the have a virtually infinite amount of colours and textures and shades etc... Without having to look through hundreds of swatches which could be just tweaked with sliders instead. Hmm...
    Ah well, will be interesting to see how this turns out. :)

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    About mods again:
    For me, the ideal game does not need mods. If you need mods to add FIXES, then that's a huge problem but it is also odd if you then isn't ecstatic about the fact that you can delete those mods when the issue is fixed.

Now, if you like bat wings and glow-in-the-dark skin or 🐸🐸🐸🐸 or whatever and those break? Then I get the frustration, but it is still not a reason to be against the patch.
  • Options
    justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Simmers: skintones, skintones we want better skintones, representation, we shouldn’t have to rely on CC!

EA: we’ll give you 100 + new skintones plus sliders.

Simmers: no no keep your 100+ skintones they’ll break our CC!

🤷🏻‍♂️

Nah. It’s more like:

Simmers: We’d like more/better skin tones, but please don’t break anything.

EA: We’ll give you 100+ skin tones, but we might break everything.

Simmers: 🤦‍♂️

Don't be unfair, not all mods are breaking.. only the skin and makeup ones, off course they should break since they have to be built up from the ground again depending on the need for them after the update...

CC should never be considered by developers when updating the game or bringing new things.