This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

100+ New Skin Tones and Makeup Sliders Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,711 Member
    edited September 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    Glad they're doing what people wanted but I'm a bit concerned about the "updating base game hairs", wouldn't it be better to just add new ones? I'm not a huge fan of the idea of hairstyles I use suddenly getting changed

Yeah, I was wondering that they mean by updating the hairs? Will they change the texture, the shape, new colour options? I understand this is about some afro hairs? Wish they had been more clear on what this hair update means.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    @Beardedgeek You know what, now I remember a thread just like that. Oh well, it can be difficult to track down the culprit-CC/mod but that is what you do every time there is a patch. Why I only update the game when there is a pack I really want and it has been out for a little while.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    Glad they're doing what people wanted but I'm a bit concerned about the "updating base game hairs", wouldn't it be better to just add new ones? I'm not a huge fan of the idea of hairstyles I use suddenly getting changed

I am willing to bet 100 euros that they specifically are talking about the two "Afro" default hairstyles that have been hated and ridiculed by POC since release.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    Cool! Loved this feature in Sims 3, and it shows how the devs screwed up with Sims 4. Keep this energy and overhaul personalities next so your fans don’t have to bully you into making good choices for your game again.

:D:D lol.thats it, in a nutshell...
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,694 Member

I'm actually really happy that they're updating existing hairs instead of adding new ones, some of the base game hairs are down right ugly, especially the ones that are supposed to be more textured.
  • Options

I'd love a free update with 10-20+ new hairstyles.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    filipomel wrote: »

I'm actually really happy that they're updating existing hairs instead of adding new ones, some of the base game hairs are down right ugly, especially the ones that are supposed to be more textured.

Yeah me too. I rarely ever use the base game hairs. They look so dated next to quality we've had lately.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Cool! Loved this feature in Sims 3, and it shows how the devs screwed up with Sims 4. Keep this energy and overhaul personalities next so your fans don’t have to bully you into making good choices for your game again.

:D:D lol.thats it, in a nutshell...

Lol I mean it’s true. When people were nice they got a few poor quality skin tones in return. This studio is showing us if we want a better game we have to stop being so nice about it. Let’s hope players, even while grateful for this, keep the devs under pressure for everything else this game gets wrong.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    This is very good news. The fact the teams are adding sliders to the skin tones, and to the make up, does give me some hope for the game's future. When CAS sliders for pets were added in the C&D ep, I thought then it probably would open up CAS sliders for our Sims, too. I guess that took a bit longer than I'd expected. LOL But seriously, this is a huge step forward in Sim customization without needing to rely on using CC. And with the lighting changes that have been made over the years, some of the original skins were looking a bit drab and splotchy.

I wonder what all of this means about the life expectancy of Sims4? If the teams put this much time and effort into creating these improvements, I get the feeling none of it would have happened unless Sims4 has at least another two to three years left. Which is fine. I am not too excited about a Sims5 anyway given the way it has been described as being a more on line experience. But any kind of improvements that can be made to the base game, along with some bug fixes, will keep me playing Sims4 for a long time. And if those improvements allow me to cut back on using mods of any kind, that would be a dream come true. I hope this trend of updating the base game features while adding some of what we miss from Sims2 and 3, continues for the next year at least. Sims4 has great graphics, pretty worlds and Sims, but needs a lot of work on the emotions and traits, relationships....the list is long. But I have to applaud the teams for doing this because maybe it's a sign there are more good things coming.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,976 Member
    Disclaimer:This is not a complaint.
    But uhhhhhh anyone else terrified what might happen to cc skins?👀
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,378 Member

Hopefully, the Sims4Studio folks will work out the requisite batch fixes quickly. (Disclaimer, I have no personal stake in this, as I don't use CC skin.)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned too. I get attached to my Sims looking the same way all the time. But I'm all for new hairstyles getting added!

My understanding is that the Afro hairs in this game were styled after a cauliflower. Which makes me wonder about POC representation at EA in general. Like, why wasn't there a single coworker with natural hair they could have used as a model?

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I like the idea of updating base game hairstyles. I doubt they would be totally redone. Better textured certainly, maybe with a slight shape change and more color options like the latest packs have.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,471 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I like the idea of updating base game hairstyles. I doubt they would be totally redone. Better textured certainly, maybe with a slight shape change and more color options like the latest packs have.

There are many hairstyles in base game, imo, what would need at least a tiny mesh edit to make them to match the most recent hairs. Style itself could be the same. :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

Yep. I am. I’ve made numerous, painstaking edits in Photoshop over the years, to get my custom skintones just right. I’m not too keen on the idea of all that work being undone.
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    Great. but why has it taken this long? they shouldn't have to be told to be inclusive. I'm not going to sit here and praise them for something that should've been in the base game 6 YEARS AGO. If it wasn't for the BLM movement and the backlash they'd have never even bothered to do it.

Thanks but I'm bored.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yubell wrote: »
    Great. but why has it taken this long? they shouldn't have to be told to be inclusive. I'm not going to sit here and praise them for something that should've been in the base game 6 YEARS AGO. If it wasn't for the BLM movement and the backlash they'd have never even bothered to do it.

Thanks but I'm bored.

Well, some of us us still care whats added to the game , thats why we're thankful
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Thanks but I'm bored.

I highly doubt they've been able to whip this up in the 5 months BLM has been at its peak.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Thanks but I'm bored.

Okay, well...thanks for stopping by. 👋🏻
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020

Thanks but I'm bored.

I highly doubt they've been able to whip this up in the 5 months BLM has been at its peak.

I think they have and that’s what’s so annoying about it. If only there had been this sort of impetus throughout the game’s run.
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm not patting EA/Maxis/Gurus on the back for something that should have be in the game when it came out 6 years ago. I'm happy they listened to this request although it should not have taken white influencers to amplify non-white influencers voices while there were protests over racial inequality during a pandemic to even get a response. I say this not to be the negative Nancy of the group, but so that we can remember what it took to get EA/Maxis/Gurus to even admit there was a problem and to be even a bit more transparent. Just because they are finally addressing one major problem with this version of The Sims it does not mean people should stop holding EA/Maxis/Gurus accountable for the pitfalls of Sims 4.
  • Options

Thanks but I'm bored.

I honestly do not think they really tried until the protests and basically white influencers held their feet to the fire. Was it something on the list and randomly getting worked on over the years? Probably, as there was an update a few years ago that added those awful skin tone swatches, however they were forced to really focus on this particular task because of recent events.
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    I'm happy they listened to this request although it should not have taken white influencers to amplify non-white influencers voices while there were protests over racial inequality during a pandemic to even get a response.

Therein lies the problem.

How many Game Changers are POC?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Grynn wrote: »
    I'm happy they listened to this request although it should not have taken white influencers to amplify non-white influencers voices while there were protests over racial inequality during a pandemic to even get a response.

Therein lies the problem.

How many Game Changers are POC?

That is genuinely a good question and one I can not answer. I only watched Deli for years and then YouTube began pushing other white Simmers into my suggestions. I only found three POC YouTubers that play Sims 4 so far, but this is just after searching "Sims 4 lets plays" on YouTube. One is male and two are female.

Since the Sims has always stated it pushed for diversity for me it's just been disappointing to see how they really lack in this department.