Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Gallery dead?

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Find new Simmers to follow. The Gallery is fine. Those players may have moved on. You were gone for four months. Maybe they are taking a break, too.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    The Simmers I follow post tons of stuff every day. And I’m always finding interesting new Simmers to follow. When a Simmer you’re following likes something, you could check out that other Simmer’s catalog to see whether you’d like to follow them too. I’ve found a lot of interesting new creators that way. Plus, sorting by new instead of popular tends to get more interesting things.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    JuleruJuleru Posts: 10 New Member
    Can any of you access the gallery at the moment though? The day before yesterday everything was fine but since yesterday I keep getting the "do you want to go online" popup and an error saying that it's currently not possible to go online.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited September 2020
    Juleru wrote: »
    Can any of you access the gallery at the moment though? The day before yesterday everything was fine but since yesterday I keep getting the "do you want to go online" popup and an error saying that it's currently not possible to go online.

My Gallery is currently not working.
    9zxjC72.png
  • Options
    At least it's not only me but still, "great". Did they announce any maintenance work? I checked the "Latest News" forum but the latest post is from late August.
  • Options
    afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    @Juleru I'm having the same issue. I can't even view pack info within the game. My WiFi is fine. I'm connected to Origin. What the heck!
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • Options
    Ghostkev79Ghostkev79 Posts: 20 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »

9zxjC72.png

This is what i am getting too,.. just came to look for answers
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    The browser gallery works. I am browsing right now.
  • Options
    Well my connection has been bad past few days due to weather
  • Options
    @afternoonbaboon Exactly, same thing here. My internet works fine and I'm connected to Origin. Restarting the game/Origin/the PC doesn't fix it either. At first I thought Origin got angry with Steam again but they've both been running for a while and it was still working about 2 hours ago. It's like they're turning off the gallery at a certain time.
  • Options
    I can browse on the gallery website fine... just through game in origin is not wanting to connect
  • Options
    SimplyEnchantedSimplyEnchanted Posts: 221 Member
    Ghostkev79 wrote: »
    mcrudd wrote: »

9zxjC72.png

This is what i am getting too,.. just came to look for answers

Same for me. I would assume it has something to do with them updating from Origin to "EA Desktop" but I find it incredibly annoying not to be able to browse the exchange from in game.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    One other thing I find weird is that when you look for lots like bars, lounges etc. and click on the most popular you see the same lots from 5 years ago.
    Are people not liking and downloading gallery content anymore? Did the fan base shrink so much? Literally the most popular lots are all the same.

Also about the YouTube thing, I noticed it too. James Turner is posting the same amount but for example lilsimsie is posting less builds and Plumbella has being posting less and less sims content to the point where she now almost always plays Fall Guys on twitch instead of sims.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the problem with Most Popular is that most people default to Most Popular and Most Popular now, rather than newest so new stuff rarely gets a chance to make it in. Also I think Most Popular Now covers too long a period and isn't weighted towards newer stuff.

Most Popular should be renamed Community Favourites or something, Most Popular Now to Most Popular and a new Most Popular Now created, that is heavily weighted towards new stuff and ages out anything older than a year unless it gets a significant increase in downloads and favourites.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    One other thing I find weird is that when you look for lots like bars, lounges etc. and click on the most popular you see the same lots from 5 years ago.
    Are people not liking and downloading gallery content anymore? Did the fan base shrink so much? Literally the most popular lots are all the same.

Also about the YouTube thing, I noticed it too. James Turner is posting the same amount but for example lilsimsie is posting less builds and Plumbella has being posting less and less sims content to the point where she now almost always plays Fall Guys on twitch instead of sims.

I look for newest or most popular now rather than most popular. Remember, the most popular have had people favouriting them for years and years. Something nicer that just got posted recently simply is not going to catch up for years and years. And with people constantly selecting most popular, the old ones just keep getting more ahead.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    I see a lot of new things from people I follow, daily. I did notice that a lot of the more popular, larger simmers have not been posting. Your right about Lilsimsie too, she's posted barely anything and just the other day she announced on Twitter that she's taking a break for mental health so that's probably her reason. Not sure why for the rest though, guess this year is just uninspiring some people. :/

Yeah... I almost only follow known Simmers and Maxis, and for the last 5 months only Lilsimsie and Maxis have posted ANYTHING, and Maxis barely anything.
    Any tips of Simmers worth following? I don't do CC, I don't do "Sexyhunknumber13541353". I want quality households, generic beauty queens (of any gender) and pregnant teen mom ghosts I can do without...
    I don't follow Lilsimsie on Gallery so I didn't notice. I know I follow BobSquad under the #BobSquad hashtag and we are still making builds and Sims. I guess some of the well known communities must be dying since the Star Wars update. *shrugs* DrGluon's community is still thriving at least and a lot of Simmers I follow still that don't all have 1K+ viewers. I prefer exploring new channels.

DrGluon, Drutrubuilder, Kippsidaisy, eimajunknown, flubber32c4, VandySquirrel, Cerimonster, michele_blue, theNUBalicious, withlovejulien, MDianaSims, thelastlovebites, Simming_Spoonie, and TheRosebudSimmer are a few of the Galleries I follow.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Yeah a lot of the streamers and Youtubers play other games besides Sims when a pack isn't out, which I like having that break from. Fall Guys is super popular right now. Some play Animal Crossing or Ooblets. The new Marvel game is popular right now too. Among Us is very popular right now as well. For me I prefer variety streamers over exclusive one game players, but just my preference. Twitch is an amazing way to see how many simulation games are out there in the market.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

I was looking at creations uploaded by people I follow last night. I haven’t tried today yet.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I tend to look for specific things on the gallery, almost always searching by "most popular," so I don't really notice. If I'm looking for a sim, I'm probably looking for a specific person. I follow a couple of creators who make really good likenesses of characters, though they do also fill up a lot of their catalogue with ghost vampires and generic hot girls and their own characters with all skills maxed.

For buildings, I'm almost always looking for a specific lot size or type and/or by hashtag. Lately, for my Star Wars save I've been searching for #starwars and #journeytobatuu and finding some really cool stuff.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I don't go near the gallery much these days, not for posting my households or my own lots. I'm mostly focused on game play.

My own sim numbers are up to about 280 sims now that i can use to populate a brand new save, if i wanted to.
    I'm still not completely up to speed on every sim i got, but the majority of them are ready to go.

I even found one of my sims i deleted a while back in an old save and brought him back. Earl Duquesne has returned from the dead.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

I look for newest or most popular now rather than most popular. Remember, the most popular have had people favouriting them for years and years. Something nicer that just got posted recently simply is not going to catch up for years and years. And with people constantly selecting most popular, the old ones just keep getting more ahead.

@CelSims Even the Maxis curated ones don't get enough likes anymore. I do think there is a decrease in Gallery players
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    My BIGGEST problem with the gallery is honestly the lack of filtering options.

I tried to find a Sulani Mermaid today. It is almost impossible since 99,99% of all Mermaids on the gallery are either variants of Ariel, aka a danish white redhead, or a blonde duck-lipped blonde mid-western American teen.
    Yes, you have the right to create or play what you want. But finding anything, and I mean ANYTHING except these three categories are very very hard:

1. Blonde duck-lipped instagram models labeled "Beautiful girl"
    2. Dark-haired male ducklipped instagram models labeled "hunk"
    3. Ugly-To-Beauty challenges

90% of them of course with CC that isn't flagged.

I need much better filtering options. Even down to just being able to filter on skin color (just use the same swatches that are in the game already!), gender, or type of supernatural with actual check boxes.

Also, how does the pack filter actually work? Because when I tell it to only show things from packs I own, I still get tons of Sims with Star Wars packs included in them.
    CelSims wrote: »

@CelSims Even the Maxis curated ones don't get enough likes anymore. I do think there is a decrease in Gallery players

Yeah, it defintely feels that it's mostly young teen girls playing nowadays, just from looking at what you find when browsing. There has been nothing new from Maxis for months, apparently. and nothing new in their curated list either.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2020
    The pack filter doesn't work and its design. According to EA its what they call an "inclusive filter" rather than an "exclusive filter". So it just shows you everything that contains content from for example base game and Get Together if you set the filter that way, instead of only base game and Get Together. Basically they don't want you to be able to exclude stuff because they want you to see content you don't have to nag you to buy it. So it basically works the same as if you don't use the filter, just with extra steps.

Every time someone posts it as a bug on AnswerHQ, which is monthly, Cincrit posts something along the lines of "Yes, I know its broken and stupid and yes, I have told them repeatedly and no, they won't change it"

EDIT Also I dont pay attention to Maxis Picks any more as there is hardly ever anything that interests me. For a while, the builds were highly useable and built with only a couple of packs. but that wasn't the case the last time I paid attention They had seemed to have gone back to being overstuffed with clutter and built to be looked at, not played.

If the Picks are usable again that would be great to hear

EDIT 2: Also the lack of likes is a problem the Gallery has always had. And its a problem I have no idea how to fix. Maybe a nag screen they way Nexus Mods does it? I try to remember to like something when I download it as if its worth downloading its worth a like, but I dont always remember. Also, why can you like your own stuff?
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    Yeah Gallery filtering does stink. In-game filtering could use some upgrades too especially with debug.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    The Gallery seems very different to me....like its sorted differently or something. Like, when I got to Popular, it used to sort it by the number of likes. & now it's sorted by the number of favorites. So I feel like I'm not seeing everything.....if that makes sense. & when I go to the Simmers that I follow, all of their stuff doesn't show up....just a short list. I have to go and click on their page and then I can see all of their most recent uploads. Very strange.