Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Star Wars GP - Age Groups

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Female under 30, dislike the pack, not buying it. Have seen every single star wars movie. Don't really care for 1-6. 7-9 are okay but get increasingly worse (incidentally, killing han solo in those is to many star wars fans what this pack is to many sims players. A stab in the back by someone you thought you could trust). Rogue One is the bomb and every star wars fan can fight me haha I cried when I saw that one.

What part of it is a stab in the back? I'm genuinely curious.

I should have worded it better, it isn't so much what it IS so much as how it feels. To some people I should clarify, not a blanket statement or anything. I remember when solo died everyone I knew who was a longtime fan was furious, but the decision was made to bring in the viewers of the newer movies who prefer the character arc, not based on how longtime fans would feel. I just thought it was a funny coincidence--the star wars pack feels like it's being released solely as an easy way to make money off new people/new fans, when instead they could address issues longtime fans have been mentioning for so long. But I know next to nothing about movies or video games, so could be totally off on both🤷🏼‍♀I know packs are in dev a long time, but these issues were still issues then...so...

(obligatory don't mean to be rude or confrontational and need to clarify that because internet)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Female under 30, dislike the pack, not buying it. Have seen every single star wars movie. Don't really care for 1-6. 7-9 are okay but get increasingly worse (incidentally, killing han solo in those is to many star wars fans what this pack is to many sims players. A stab in the back by someone you thought you could trust). Rogue One is the bomb and every star wars fan can fight me haha I cried when I saw that one.

I should have worded it better, it isn't so much what it IS so much as how it feels. To some people I should clarify, not a blanket statement or anything. I remember when solo died everyone I knew who was a longtime fan was furious, but the decision was made to bring in the viewers of the newer movies who prefer the character arc, not based on how longtime fans would feel. I just thought it was a funny coincidence--the star wars pack feels like it's being released solely as an easy way to make money off new people/new fans, when instead they could address issues longtime fans have been mentioning for so long. But I know next to nothing about movies or video games, so could be totally off on both🤷🏼‍♀I know packs are in dev a long time, but these issues were still issues then...so...

(obligatory don't mean to be rude or confrontational and need to clarify that because internet)

Totally get you no need to tip toe around me. I appreciate a straight shooter.

I have a feeling this pack is misunderstood. Have you ever been to Galaxy's Edge?
    If not you should check it out a tour on Youtube.

All this is is a theme park....a travel destination like Outdoor retreat. Maybe they'll be a couple load screens to off world locations...but really it's just a vacation spot not an attempt to merge the two games The Aliens wear masks because all of the characters roam around the park totally in character. So in a literal sense Bakthu is a real world place you can go and visit, First of it's kind in the Sims

So it's not so much that people don't know or don't like Star Wars that I find surprising, that's to be expected.
    What I find interesting is there seems to be an extra bit of mustard behind these objections even in the face of an obvious hint that the Sims team may have had some extra help with this one. A prospect which should be super exciting, not a super bummer.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    kemowery wrote: »
    In the entirety of The Sims 4, I find it fascinating that like half a dozen costumes and a single statue based on Star Wars are "bloatware."

I mean, I don't dress characters up in the Star Wars costumes since I usually erase all the holidays anyway (though the first time I did Strangerville, the trip to kill the Mother took place on Halloween and everyone was dressed up as Star Wars characters), but I guarantee there's twice as many items in CAS and a bunch of decoration items that I never use. I spend way, way more time policing the eyeball ring and piercings in random outfits than I ever worry about the Star Wars costumes that no one ever wears outside of Halloween.

I suspect it's like the study where it was shown that when women speak 25% of the time in a class, the men in the class perceive it as women dominating the conversation and drowning out men. Or whatever the numbers were. Point being, people see a thing they don't like and jump to the conclusion that seeing it at all means it's taking over.

So a few costumes in CAS is "Star Wars bloatware." Out of 34 currently-released packs, two GPs devoted to occult life states is the entire series being taken over by occult players. Similarly, two other GPs that have quests in addition to open-ended play show that the game is being turned into an adventure game.

Interestingly I mod to hide all content I never use. It helps to make the game look more clean. I also don't buy packs unless I will use the build/buy and CAS items included. There is other content in base game I modded to hid like the dress with skull patterns and yes I modded the game to not allow or even see the eyeball ring.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    I remember when solo died everyone I knew who was a longtime fan was furious, but the decision was made to bring in the viewers of the newer movies who prefer the character arc, not based on how longtime fans would feel.

You know, I talked to quite a few people about that after the movie. Had a couple of friends who agreed that killing Han Solo off was probably about the only way they could have gotten Harrison Ford back into the franchise as he'd long ago pitched the idea of letting Han kick the bucket back in Episode VI. JJ Abrams probably had to swear on a stack of bibles that it would happen.

And maybe it was just me, but killing a parent seems far far far more brutal on that final step towards the dark side than you know, killing some person or something that was kind of in your family just by marriage or something (Lookin at YOU, Caedus.)

I think we all knew going into The Force Awakens that it wasn't going to be the Expanded Universe, verbatim. But ...that's just me, I guess.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    So judging by the overwhelming negative reaction on social media, one should be able to predict pretty low sales numbers for this GP at the end of the day.

This should be interesting.
    Didn't work out that way with MFPS. So I guess negative equals best sales for packs, so bring it on.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    In the entirety of The Sims 4, I find it fascinating that like half a dozen costumes and a single statue based on Star Wars are "bloatware."

I mean, I don't dress characters up in the Star Wars costumes since I usually erase all the holidays anyway (though the first time I did Strangerville, the trip to kill the Mother took place on Halloween and everyone was dressed up as Star Wars characters), but I guarantee there's twice as many items in CAS and a bunch of decoration items that I never use. I spend way, way more time policing the eyeball ring and piercings in random outfits than I ever worry about the Star Wars costumes that no one ever wears outside of Halloween.

I suspect it's like the study where it was shown that when women speak 25% of the time in a class, the men in the class perceive it as women dominating the conversation and drowning out men. Or whatever the numbers were. Point being, people see a thing they don't like and jump to the conclusion that seeing it at all means it's taking over.

So a few costumes in CAS is "Star Wars bloatware." Out of 34 currently-released packs, two GPs devoted to occult life states is the entire series being taken over by occult players. Similarly, two other GPs that have quests in addition to open-ended play show that the game is being turned into an adventure game.

Interestingly I mod to hide all content I never use. It helps to make the game look more clean. I also don't buy packs unless I will use the build/buy and CAS items included. There is other content in base game I modded to hid like the dress with skull patterns and yes I modded the game to not allow or even see the eyeball ring.

I used to do that in sims 2. Maybe I should give it a try in sims 4 as well to get rid of the skull dress and thecclown shoes. Can you recommend a tutorial to get started?
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member

Totally get you no need to tip toe around me. I appreciate a straight shooter.

I have a feeling this pack is misunderstood. Have you ever been to Galaxy's Edge?
    If not you should check it out a tour on Youtube.

All this is is a theme park....a travel destination like Outdoor retreat. Maybe they'll be a couple load screens to off world locations...but really it's just a vacation spot not an attempt to merge the two games The Aliens wear masks because all of the characters roam around the park totally in character. So in a literal sense Bakthu is a real world place you can go and visit, First of it's kind in the Sims

So it's not so much that people don't know or don't like Star Wars that I find surprising, that's to be expected.
    What I find interesting is there seems to be an extra bit of mustard behind these objections even in the face of an obvious hint that the Sims team may have had some extra help with this one. A prospect which should be super exciting, not a super bummer.

Thank you for being chill I really didn't want to start something I hate confrontation

Considering that it's a star wars pack I actually think having it be a travel destination is a good idea. Imagine the outrage if it was a permanent world that infiltrated all the others with star wars. Haha.

I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge (not much of a star wars fan, sims packs aside) but I did see a picture of it and it looks stunning. I think it actually being a theme park in the pack but not advertised as such is actually worse and really gimmicky. It's meant to pull in the star wars fans but once you buy the pack, what is there to do? I saw the gameplay trailer. So on one level I'm really disappointed for the people looking forward to it, since to me it doesn't seem interesting, but that could be the lack of star wars interest. And on another I'm just so disappointed that it's an obvious capitalist bent to all their pack decision making. Yes, the point of capitalism is to sell. But it's my personal belief that the consumer's happiness and feedback should be priority as well. It's harder to support something that's against your personal values.

I also really dislike the way they want about it. It feels sneaky to me, not surprising. It reads like a covert under the table deal to a lot of people who aren't loving the pack idea. I was JUST on instagram yesterday and saw a post from Disney that it was just the 1 year anniversary of the park. So the timing of everything means it's a collaboration to me, which in itself doesn't bother me. What bothers me is them never publicizing it, even though I know packs are super secretive and everything.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I used to do that in sims 2. Maybe I should give it a try in sims 4 as well to get rid of the skull dress and thecclown shoes. Can you recommend a tutorial to get started?

Can't really offer help. I just dabble occasionally into mods for myself and my husband actually help me.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Looks like younger people don't like/KNOW Star Wars. That's understandable, I have seen all the movies but couldn't tell any story detail from the newer movies except that Han Solo was killed.
  • Options
    Livi5500kLivi5500k Posts: 22 Member
    Oh shoot, did i accidentally click like? I hate star wars. Seen one movie. Hated it.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm still sad that we lost Carrie Fisher. She was my favorite Star Wars heroine since I was a little girl back in 1977 & she always will be.😭😍
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm still sad that we lost Carrie Fisher. She was my favorite Star Wars heroine since I was a little girl back in 1977 & she always will be.😭😍
    Yeah I was sad that her and her mom passed away around the same time. Debbie Reynolds was such a great actress too and was very happy to see her daughter get her talent. It was nice with a BobSquad stream that SimGuruSteve did there was a tribute stream to her and the butler wore her buns in memory.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller