Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does your sims do their laundry?

MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
This might seem like a weird thing to make a poll for, but i just placed my first laundromat and i love sending sims there to do their laundry! It adds a nice touch! I went a little overboard and placed so many other things for sims to do there while waiting for their laundry to the point that it is not a launromant anymore lol! So, what about you guys?

How does your sims do their laundry? 85 votes

At home
68%
nickibitswardwinkeljohn78Emily4331Jasecarlystur03jobug1015jaletu2005Jessa_DakkarGraceyManorMamaSimTeeMariefoxprice83simgirl1010Cororonalejandro15039monjr8302DarkLady2788zagboorulesclairakittyKennziKaigeemorrill 58 votes
Laundromat
4%
starguruCravenLestatizecsonMsDaisy 4 votes
No laundry
27%
SusanaLeoteParyJeansooMikezumimitchiebanjoAlexaKrybecomingjennRsandadeskitaSweetieWright_84wsteffi30ZeeGeeHillyBethNikkei_Simmersmurfy77BrandontaylorMageKnightEmolgaelleskyheartDaepheneAngeliqueAdelaide 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited August 2020
    Laundromat
    @Mareah Guilty as charged.Same here,my laundromats end up arcades etc to the point where you ask

"Whose idea was it to put a dryer in my nightclub" :D

"Can't a guy just buy a drink without this washing machine blocking the bar stools" :#

Edit:The real life laundromat closest to me (like 4 minutes away) has 2 claw machines in it and 3 vending machines so if you want to tone it down to realism the Sims 3 claw machines came with Supernatural and Vending machines with University Life.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2020
    At home
    Removed.
    Post edited by Calico45 on
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2020
    At home
    I used a laundromat once in a save. I should do it more because it's really a neat idea/experience for our sims. :) In RL I've always been so spoiled with owning a washer and dryer... so have my sims apparently. I've only been to a RL laundromat twice to wash a giant blanket. They have vending machines and TVs in the one next to my house. I ended up just putting a single vending machine in my sims laundromat since it was kinda small.
    32081794474_e0d48dd64d_k.jpg

@Calico45 I believe you're talking about Sims 4, correct? This is the Sims 3 section. Your comment is still relevant mostly but I thought you should know. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    At home
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I used a laundromat once in a save. I should do it more because it's really a neat idea/experience for our sims. :) In RL I've always been so spoiled with owning a washer and dryer. I've only been to a laundromat once twice to wash a giant blanket. They have vending machines and TVs in the one next to my house. I ended up just putting a single vending machine in my sims laundromat since it was kinda small.

@Calico45 I believe you're talking about Sims 4, correct? This is the Sims 3 section. Your comment is still relevant mostly but I thought you should know. :p

Ah, sorry, did not notice. I'll remove it. (Though honestly same in 3. It got on my nerves and felt like a chore, even just taking care of it at home.)
  • Options
    @CravenLestat I dont have UL yet but i plan on getting it soon, i will look into putting a vending machine like you suggested, sounds fitting! I don't tend to take realism into consideration when making multi-purpose venues, my current laundromat also functions as a resturant and consigment store XD I was pretty surprised that a clerk and cook showed up even though the lot was assigned as laundromant! I might place massage chairs next lol.
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I used a laundromat once in a save. I should do it more because it's really a neat idea/experience for our sims. :) In RL I've always been so spoiled with owning a washer and dryer... so have my sims apparently. I've only been to a RL laundromat twice to wash a giant blanket. They have vending machines and TVs in the one next to my house. I ended up just putting a single vending machine in my sims laundromat since it was kinda small.

Wow i love your laundromat!! I also mostly use them irl to wash heavy blankets so it is nice to use them in game. I placed mine near my main family's house so they reach it pretty fast, they dont even take a car and just walk to it. It makes it easier to send them there regularly. It can be a little bit of a hassle tho because i couldnt find a way to take the clothes out of the hamper and put them in a sim's inventory other than canceling the interaction when they try to use the in-home washing machine, but there might be an easier way tho. I love that other npcs use the machines too! It is a nice experience indeed!

Calico45 wrote: »
    Removed.

I know you removed your comment but i would still like to reply since i read it and It is on topic, it was alright to keep it. I dont have the laundry sp for ts4 yet but it does seem interesting from what you said. Try adding other things there if you dont mind having all kinds of stuff in your laundromat. Like turning it into a multi-purpose lot. Having other things there might encourage you to send your sims more often, but i get that it turns into a chore after a while. I tend to play with it for sometime then take it out and add it back later on when i feel like it.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited August 2020
    Laundromat
    I also think the EA lot build for the Town Life Stuff laundromat is really cute and has potential.All you have to do is change the exterior textures and add your own touch to the inside.The build is great just needs a cosmetic only makeover.

For those non builders but skilled decorators the build can even make a great house ;););)

See,it's a great build just I personally find these textures and colors bleh :s and boring.

RXJ5KIT.jpg

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    At home
    If I decide I want a family to have to do laundry, I just do it at home.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    At home
    I think the question being asked in this thread's subject line is a bit personal, but okay here goes. First they have to separate the whites, light, and dark colors and be sure to use the correct water temp settings. They must use unscented hypoallergenic detergent, not too much especially on HE machines, and no synthetic fabric softeners because their player is very sensitive to the regular kinds. A cup of plain white (not cider!) vinegar is very helpful to refresh old towels. Clothes must be removed from the dryer promptly and folded to reduce the need for ironing. And yes, I do realize nothing at all I have just said is helpful in any way. :)

My answer is really both. Many of my households have their own laundry machines, but some do not because they can't afford them or there really isn't enough space at home even for a washer on the back porch and a clothesline for drying, and they must instead use the laundromats. I play with a mod that makes sims' moods much more difficult to maintain than standard, so to keep them happy every little moodlet like those for fresh clothes and sheets counts throughout play.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    At home
    My sims usually do it at home. I tend to play with large sim families so their laundry is hard to keep up with. I try to have each do their own laundry, but they occasionally forget to move it from washer to dryer.

I have a somewhat different scenario with my newest sim family in Appaloosa Plains who only have a washer and a clothesline. I might have them use a laundromat if it's raining terribly.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    No laundry
    My sims are mostly left on freewill as I prefer to watch them doing what they want to do rather than what I want them to do. I do direct them a little, of course, because I like them to eat meals of my choice and to eat together. Kids and teens also get a little more direction than adults because I like them well prepared for adulthood. Toddlers needs need to be met in a timely manner as well so adults get more direction then. I have never tried having a washer/dryer so I don't know if it's autonomous or not. If it is autonomous, do sims need to have the neat trait to make it more likely? I hate the neat trait and won't play it but find that my non-neat sims will autonomously clean toilets/showers/puddles so if anyone knows if laundry is autonomous I might consider giving it a try in the future.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I wish you had an option for Both because that's what I use. Laundry is scheduled for Saturday in my games, but sometimes my Simmies have a lot of errands to do on the weekends and staying at home to wash clothes isn't a doable option: So, off to the laundromat. Otherwise, it's the trusty old machine at home.

I build all of my venues so, the laundromats in my worlds don't have too much extra stuff in them. Sometimes I will add a gumball or vending machine in addition to the television and stereo. I like to encourage social behaviors on this lot so I keep things at a minimum.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited August 2020
    At home
    I don't think I've ever sent my sims to the laundromat. On the other hand, they really only do their own laundry until they earn enough to hire a maid, who then does it for them every day. My sims do upgrade the washing machine though.

The other convenient aspect is that the maid often neglects to empty the dryer. So when one of my sims is dirty and rolls the wish to "do laundry," all they have to do to fulfill it is get it out of the dryer. It's a nice little mood boost.

By the way, did you know that switching to the Delicate cycle gives a stronger moodlet than the regular cycle does? I've also noticed that if there are both a cheap and an expensive washing machine on the lot, and both have been used, sims can get both the "fresh clothing" and the "very fresh clothing" moodlets at the same time, although it seems kind of hit or miss.

@Mikezumi Laundry is autonomous and seems to be fairly attractive to sims, neat or not, since mine are always trying to clean up the clothes on the lot before I intercept them. If I don't want the clothes piles sitting around and the maid isn't coming any time soon, I drag the clothing to the washing machine, where it will happily sit until someone starts a load.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    @mikezumi - The only thing I find a bit bothersome about owning a washer/dryer at home is the number of hampers which are needed. Goodness, knows Sims will change their clothes wherever, and if there isn't a hamper nearby, the clothes will lay or pile up on the floors. So be certain to buy enough hampers.

Also, should you decide to install the machines, put them somewhere where the repairman (or your handy Sim) can easily access it should it break. There are also times when the washing machine doesn't wring the water from the clothes well. When that happens you'll get a huge water mess on the floor, so prepare for that. Just a few helpful hints :).
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    At home
    Speaking of households with not enough funds or space for laundry machines... I swear there's a residential lot in Twinbrook that has a washer on the front porch. The house shack sits in a swampy area. I really like this starter lot's shabby style and the thought of doing laundry out in the open on a front porch. :D

@Mareah I either grabbed someone's lot or an EA library lot and tweaked it a bit but I can't take credit. :blush:
    Placing the laundromat within walking distance of your sims house is genius! I may have had a mod that gives the option to put laundry directly into a sims inventory. I'll have to check.

@Calico45 Oh no :( You didn't have to remove your comment. I apologize for being a jerk.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    If I decide I want a family to have to do laundry, I just do it at home.
    Same! but laundromats are awesome, i tell ya XD
    igazor wrote: »
    I think the question being asked in this thread's subject line is a bit personal, but okay here goes. First they have to separate the whites, light, and dark colors and be sure to use the correct water temp settings. They must use unscented hypoallergenic detergent, not too much especially on HE machines, and no synthetic fabric softeners because their player is very sensitive to the regular kinds. A cup of plain white (not cider!) vinegar is very helpful to refresh old towels. Clothes must be removed from the dryer promptly and folded to reduce the need for ironing. And yes, I do realize nothing at all I have just said is helpful in any way. :)
    I dont know why, but reading that detailed process was soothing XD
    I wish there was a moodlet for using a laundromat but it might have been hard for the game to detect when a sim does that vs do it at home.
    My sims usually do it at home. I tend to play with large sim families so their laundry is hard to keep up with. I try to have each do their own laundry, but they occasionally forget to move it from washer to dryer.
    I used to have this issue when sims do laundry at home but it is hard to forget taking the clothes out in a laundromat so that is another pro for doing it there.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    My sims are mostly left on freewill as I prefer to watch them doing what they want to do rather than what I want them to do. I do direct them a little, of course, because I like them to eat meals of my choice and to eat together. Kids and teens also get a little more direction than adults because I like them well prepared for adulthood. Toddlers needs need to be met in a timely manner as well so adults get more direction then. I have never tried having a washer/dryer so I don't know if it's autonomous or not. If it is autonomous, do sims need to have the neat trait to make it more likely? I hate the neat trait and won't play it but find that my non-neat sims will autonomously clean toilets/showers/puddles so if anyone knows if laundry is autonomous I might consider giving it a try in the future.
    Looks like we have similar play styles! I also like observing my sims more than controlling them although the heirs usually get much more direction from me than the rest of the household. I cant seem to recall the awnswer for what you asked because it's been some while since i played with the laundry system placed, i only started again recently to try laundromats. I know that clothes get placed in hampers autonomously tho. I just dislike the bears that can appear so i delete them but there might be a way to prevent them from spawning with a mod.
    mw1525 wrote: »
    I wish you had an option for Both because that's what I use. Laundry is scheduled for Saturday in my games, but sometimes my Simmies have a lot of errands to do on the weekends and staying at home to wash clothes isn't a doable option: So, off to the laundromat. Otherwise, it's the trusty old machine at home.
    Seeing that you and others use a mix of both, i should totally have! I guess it didnt occure to me because so far i never mixed between the two options for some reason, but i like your idea of making a schedule! I should try something similar too! I like what you did with adding the gumball machine, it is from the store i think? I should look into it!
    By the way, did you know that switching to the Delicate cycle gives a stronger moodlet than the regular cycle does? I've also noticed that if there are both a cheap and an expensive washing machine on the lot, and both have been used, sims can get both the "fresh clothing" and the "very fresh clothing" moodlets at the same time, although it seems kind of hit or miss.
    Wow i didnt know about that or about how many moodlets and cycles there are! Thanks for sharing! I think i didnt really notice before because the butler used to take care of it.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    At home
    I like the idea of a laundromat, but the first time I placed one and sent my sims to use it, then found out how much it costs for one load, I thought "whoa! That's expensive!" By the time my sims can afford to pay that much for a load of laundry, they can afford to have a washer of their own, and at the very least, a clothesline. But I placed the laundromat from Twinbrook into my current CAW project, and I plan to have my sims use it. There are no arcade machines or vending machines, but there is a boombox so they can dance, and chairs where they can sit and read a book they bring with them. But the main thing I hope for them to do while they wait for their laundry is become acquainted with the other sims who come in to do their laundry while they're there. But I think I will put in a vending machine, maybe outside, because the some of the laundromats I've used during the years, whenever my washing machine breaks and I'm waiting for the repairs to be done, have had vending machines in front of the building.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    At home
    I always try to give them a washer and dryer for their homes when I use cheats to give them more money when I start a new save. If I decide to play without cheats, then they don't get any washers or dryers until they get enough money to buy a washer and a clothesline for outside. But until they get enough money, then I don't even worry about sending them off to the laundromat.

I once did build my own laundromat in Hidden Springs on the same lot as a gas station. The gas station was just for show only but I think it turned out good in my opinion... :)

Laundromat on the left and the gas station on the right. I have put in the claw machine from the Supernatural EP as well as the whack-o-gnome machine and the coffee machine and the snow cone machine... :)
    vRdO9ULl.jpg
    Nw8eGT5l.jpg
    qJhot7dl.jpg
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    At home
    At home. In my simself's household I often let her husband Spencer do the laundry in the morning while sim-me prepares breakfast. Laundry is a boring chore both IRL and in the game, but it makes it more realistic. Especially when I do laundry IRL, it feels very realistic.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    At home
    I’ve never used the laundromat, neither in game or real-life.

Most of the time, my sims don’t wash their clothes and I just use the Restorarion Ritual from the witches.

Either that or I don’t put washing machines in the house at all.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    The majority of my Sim households don't bother to do any laundry, they've got other more fun and/or important things to do in life, but those who do, almost always do it at home. I can hardly remember the last time I sent a sim to a laundromat... must be a long time ago, probably some time after I bought and installed the stuff pack Town Life, which was released July 26 2011.

SimsWiki on Town Life Stuff.

Carl's about Town Life Stuff.

@SimplyJen "I apologize for being a 🌺🌺🌺🌺." You apologize for being... huh?... four black flowers?? :D:D:D
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Laundromat
    I’ve cycled (unintentional pun, but I’m keeping it :p ) through all of these options at one point or another over the years. It’s often been dependent on the save or the household I’m playing. However, I chose laundromat for the poll, as that’s my current preference.

I originally preferred having Sims do laundry at home. I didn’t want to use precious real estate for a laundromat, and doing a load of wash was rather expensive for my Sims with limited funds. Having a washer/dryer at home was much more convenient too, just as IRL.

However, I grew tired of having laundry strewn about in rooms without a hamper. Getting Nona’s super hamper mod helped solve that, but I still found myself doing laundry far more often than I really wanted to—also like IRL. :lol: And in some homes, there wasn’t always the extra space for the machines, or they looked out of place. So for awhile, I chose to skip the laundry system entirely. I have some worlds where I still do this.

But other than those few exceptions, I place a laundromat in every save I can now. One reason is that you can add so many activities to them—TVs and stereo speakers, bookshelves, arcade games and Uni vending machines—that they can be interesting places to visit. I’ve placed gambling machines or other bar type activities in some of them, and a surf station in a swimming pool for another laundromat I built in Isla Paradiso. I’ve even set up bedroom areas in some laundromats to use for “homeless” Sims as an alternative option to the fire station.

The other reason is due to the laundry bug I now exploit. :naughty: I discovered it in a save where my Sim did the household laundry one time at the laundromat, and weeks later, the fresh laundry and clean sheets moodlets persisted. The only time they lost the moodlets was when they traveled. Once they returned from a trip, I’d have them do laundry at the laundromat, and the moodlets didn’t expire until they traveled again. And that’s why my favorite way for my Sims to do laundry now is at the laundromat. :joy::joy:
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    No laundry

My answer is really both. Many of my households have their own laundry machines, but some do not because they can't afford them or there really isn't enough space at home even for a washer on the back porch and a clothesline for drying, and they must instead use the laundromats. I play with a mod that makes sims' moods much more difficult to maintain than standard, so to keep them happy every little moodlet like those for fresh clothes and sheets counts throughout play.

...but what if they like the lavender scented laundry soap?

...and I'm sure that using Bounce will take care of the static cling for them. After all those washing machines and dryers rarely ever explode soapy water all over the place.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    At home

...but what if they like the lavender scented laundry soap?

...and I'm sure that using Bounce will take care of the static cling for them.
    Some of the natural ones only very lightly scented might be okay, but they tend to be very expensive.

Otherwise they may marinate in the stuff in the privacy of their own bathtubs and dry themselves off behind closed doors using dryer sheets or towels dried with sheets infused with whatever toxic chemicals they like. As long as their player doesn't have to look at it, I'm breaking out in hives and may have to up my allergy meds just thinking about this. :rage:
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    At home
    Laundromat at first bc i'm poor

Then at home when I've moved up in the world and bought my own rattley old loud washing machine.. and clothes line
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    liizzys1302liizzys1302 Posts: 53 Member
    At home
    My sims mostly do their laundry at home but if i'm playing a single sim that doesn't have a lot of money or is just starting out they will go to the laundromat.