Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Potty Situation

I felt like exploring the issue that I've seen complaints about - that Sims, when directed to potty train a toddler, walk off to do other things shortly after the toddler has sat down on the potty.

Whether it is a bug or not, I don't know. But I do know that I personally fancy toddlers taking up less of their parents' attention which happens to be the result.

I also noticed that the toddler can't call back a Sim to potty train, as was previously the case. It might be a similar case to when kids couldn't grab a quick meal from the fridge.

At this point, I don't care if it is a bug. I'm one of those who gripe about how much attention toddlers are scripted to receive, messing up everyone else's schedule, because TODDLER is present. So, I'm going to enjoy the extra freedom as long as it lasts :D

So, what is your opinion on this situation? If you have one.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Comments

• Options
    SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I like it lol potty training is my least favorite. So if mom can walk alway while potty training her toddler, that’s fine by me.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    edited August 2020
    I usually cheat the potty skill when I age the toddlers up from babies, the potty skill takes so much time and its so much easier to let them go off and do it themselves. As I potty trained my children IRL I dont want to do it in the Sims!! :)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I think it is a bug. I play with autonomy off, so my sims cannot just decide to do something else. What happens in my game is they put the toddler on the potty, then after one or two seconds the interaction gets canceled for the adult while the toddler continues doing its thing. Something else drawing my sims' attention cannot be the cause for this.

My only question is, does the toddler still benefit from doubled learning speed from getting helped, since the adult started the interaction? If yes, then I don't mind this bug at all.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think I'm with the OP on this one, that sounds wonderful :D
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I have observed this in my game too. I found it annoying because I assumed that given that the parent wandered off the toddler no longer counted as being 'taught' and thus would learn the skill less quickly. If that's not the case though then I'd say it's great.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    As long as they can at least help initiate it to level 2 so the toddler can go on their own, otherwise I would have to cheat the skill. Still sounds to me like it needs to be fixed. Are other skill training be affected for them? Like blocks? Because I know that unless you give them a tablet for toddlers to use, they still need a little help getting thru some parts to do more options on them, unless you cheat. But I haven t tried one yet, I have a Sim pregnant with Vlads baby now and I'm afraid to play them until its fixed.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't like it. The parent is supposed to be teaching the child and should stay till the end to give encouragement when the task is done right. I hope it will be fixed.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    It all boils down to EA isn't a "Family" player thus the reason we have a baby object and skipped the toddler stage before finally waking up and adding toddlers. When they can not be bothered to put toilets in houses then you know it's rush job.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I experienced this bug last night, and it really bothered me. My toddler looked so lonely, and wound up with a sad moodlet for hours afterward because she had an accident.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SBLoveSBLove Posts: 20 Member
    Since I'm currently working on the 100 Baby Challenge I don't really mind that much since she always has to take care of the other children, the thing I find annoying (Which might just be me but has been happening as long as I can remember) is that it almost ALWAYS takes a couple tries to get her to actually go over and put them on the potty
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I personally like watching them poop their nappies. Makes me laugh.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited August 2020
    @Rouensims The will cry and get that moodlet even when the parent sticks around. You do know that, right? ;)

I guess some of us are just more into independent toddlers.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I personally like watching them poop their nappies. Makes me laugh.

dude ... mean xD
  • Options
    Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    Oh it’s amazing, like independent toddlers go to the toilet alone but the non independent ones still need an adult to put them there, love it! I do wish we could get the parents to potty train by command though, like when the toddler is on the potty. You could do this before though, have a parent potty train, cancel the action (as the parent) and the toddler would stay on
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It might seem weird because i am a family player, but i would also like for them to be more independent. I play big families, i can end up with three toldders sometimes because i like for siblings to be somewhat close in age. Things can get really overwhelming lol.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Having a potty accident seems to be completely unrelated to whether or not the parent sticks around to train them. The parents set them on the potty and then they go through the routine whether the parent is there or not. I'm fine with it. Means I can have fewer independent toddlers. :wink:
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2020
    This bug was introduced recently, I noticed it and it’s super hard to play toddlers. I loved playing little one’s, now I hate it. One of my family’s have triplets, I’ll go back to them after this bug is fixed.
    Post edited by Feisbukaite on
  • Options
    CharityCodesCharityCodes Posts: 56 Member
    It is a bug and it's been there for a couple of months. I would link the EA bug site, but I don't have link permissions at the moment. I find it annoying because the skill gain is so slow. It's still workable though, especially if you use tiny homes.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    It's a bug and I am not looking forward to the bad joke that they will write in the patch notes when they will patch it.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I love the Toddler stage, personally. But, I know what you mean about how much attention they truly crave and take. It would be totally awesome, to provide the tot-in-training to 'read' a book whilst they went about their business. Then if the other Sim be it Mom, Dad, or some other Sim able to provide the training were to walk away, it wouldn't bother me at all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I don't mind it either and I haven't noticed that the toddlers learn potty skill at a different rate.
  • Options
    CharityCodesCharityCodes Posts: 56 Member
    Just in case this lets me post. Here is where you can find the official bug report and add to it if you wish: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sims-can-t-help-toddlers-to-potty-or-play-blocks/td-p/9169187
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    When raising toddlers, my sims ability to do their own thing at all is cut off by the "autonomy off" disease ... just like real life hehehehe
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I mostly like the toddler life stage. I refused to even buy the game until toddlers were introduced. So parents leaving toddlers to their own devices sort of messes with my game play a bit. I had a story line of helicopter parents that are obsessed with their child and stopped playing it because so many of the interactions are stopped half way through.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I love toddlers, they are so cute, hope they fix it soon