Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you "rotational" play

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    Flap wrote: »

I've also noticed that my Sims seems to be more interesting now that they grown skills and relationships. The game flows better and there's some quite random funny things (Nina Caliente using a voodoo doll at the bar, people visiting my Sims homes and using different objects). I don't know, could be only my impression but I'm really touched by it hahaha

I love rotational play ❤️

Yes, I find my rotational save to be always interesting because of the complex web or relationships and storylines mixing between all the households.

Sometimes I select the next household to switch to based on the relationships or events in the current one. For example I might play as the Calientes and Don Lothario, and during the week Don goes on a date with Babs L’Amour. When I feel like I’ve played the Calientes enough, then I’ll switch to Babs and play her household for a week. During the week she goes to a charity benefit party hosted by celebrity Johnny Zest. So the next week I play as Johnny Zest.

That way, it feels like I’m playing a continuous storyline that’s handing the torch over between all my sims, rather than just random rotating.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    simvasion wrote: »

I've also noticed that my Sims seems to be more interesting now that they grown skills and relationships. The game flows better and there's some quite random funny things (Nina Caliente using a voodoo doll at the bar, people visiting my Sims homes and using different objects). I don't know, could be only my impression but I'm really touched by it hahaha

Yes, I find my rotational save to be always interesting because of the complex web or relationships and storylines mixing between all the households.

Sometimes I select the next household to switch to based on the relationships or events in the current one. For example I might play as the Calientes and Don Lothario, and during the week Don goes on a date with Babs L’Amour. When I feel like I’ve played the Calientes enough, then I’ll switch to Babs and play her household for a week. During the week she goes to a charity benefit party hosted by celebrity Johnny Zest. So the next week I play as Johnny Zest.

That way, it feels like I’m playing a continuous storyline that’s handing the torch over between all my sims, rather than just random rotating.

I do something similar, in that If I see my other sims doing stuff around town while I am not playing them, I try to incorporate that into the gamplay next time I play them. Like, one of my new sims was drafted to be a yoga instructor at the spa, so now he will have to do yoga when I next play him. Also, Vlad plays the organ at the church in his spare time. :lol:
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

It also feels like that to me, maybe it is just because I know the played sims running arround instead of it all just being rando npcs but the world feels more interesting, more versitle and together in a way.....
    I am also surprised by relationships sometimes, like yesterday when I played I just looked at the sims relationships and found another played sim in there that she not only knows but likes (which surprised me because that sim is not really likeable and has nothing to do with the other), it was cool.
    I love it when I play one household and they just run into other played sims, like when I send them to venues, or even just jogging "oh, there is Dea and there is Agnes and what is Lazarus doing here?" idk, just more interesting and fun to me.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited October 2020
    I have played rotational play since sims 1

Currently I have 7 families on long life times , with aging off unless i am playing that family

I play each family for a week at a time . I have placed them all in different neighbourhoods and try and match their careers and lifestyles to the neighbourhood they live in .

The seasons are 14 days long and whichever family i happen to be at for the first week of summer is the one that gets to go on a vacation , unless they currently have babies or toddlers in the family

Most of my neighbourhoods are completely rebuilt with clubs, bars , lounges , spa's gyms etc so there are a ton of places for them to go to and things to do .

I even rebuilt the vacation hoods so that they had a nightclub , spa and outdoor pool area to go to when not doing the archeology

Normally I switch families at 6am on a monday morning , It used to be on a sunday morning but i changed it when i got one into being a film star so he could go to the awards ceremony after a weeks filming

Currently at 3021hrs played on sims 4 and i had a lot more hours played on 2 and 3 . I only recently stopped playing 2 when my pc died and i had to get a new one and i didnt have a seperate save file for it stored anywhere and dont want to start it all over again
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    MissyHissy.... I love that this all started with a bunch of pals heading off to uni and now they have scattered after graduation ...it is so real life what with some friends and some not so much ....it is incredible how your rotational play has grown from the original eight...i bet all those stories are fascinating! Just recently i changed to 28 day seasons...I don't regret it either...it affords a tinge bit more realism. I can see where eventually there would be friendship culling ..esp as your rotational community grows ....this is my new favorite way to play the sims ..it is continuously exciting. Thanks for sharing your way of getting your rotational play started and how you kept it growing!

I started with a single sim, and now, that sim had twin sons and a daughter. The twins led to a story for a legacy, and now I started the legacy with one sim that led to adding 5 more sims, and now, I have two major households and 7 antagonists for the story.

Sulani is becoming a very small place.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I'm definitely a different duck than lots of people because I do a rotational play with EVERY family. Basically how I do so is that everyone has a number, and I use a website to randomly pick one. I play around 5 days for a household without kids and 15-ish for a family. I should probably equalize that, I'd get a lot more milage out of the non-family households. Long timeline and aging off for the non-active household.

There's some families I've managed to visit a lot, like say the Munch's and the Rasoya's, and some I've haven't or hardly ever touched (looking at you Roomies) but hey.

Within those files is also some special cases of other video-game characters that are basically immortal. Because my inital files for the Sims 4 was playing with some of those and I felt uncomfortable with the push to make families with them or else I'd be face the prospect of them dying without heirs. Sims is family-propoganda I tells ya!

Really should figure up a rundown of the households and their histories somewhere.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Yes, I have the theory that the more Sims you have in game the less Maxis NPCs you see as the game limits them in line with your machine's capability as it did in previous iterations. You have to have some unhoused though, to be waiters etc. as they give up the job if given a house!

I think you're right. I've been making over some of the NPCs I see in regular roles so they look more like my Sims but I don't feel the need to add them into the stories.
    The main exception to that was a sim generated by the game as a waitress in an Italian restaurant I built in Windenburg. She's a Young Adult and she's also a student at Foxbury because she's a classmate of one of my sims. So it actually looks like she waitressing to pay for Uni. She's now dating one of my sims and will eventually 'quit' the job if she moves in with my sim (time will tell!).
    wickichick wrote: »
    MissyHissy.... I love that this all started with a bunch of pals heading off to uni and now they have scattered after graduation ...it is so real life what with some friends and some not so much ....it is incredible how your rotational play has grown from the original eight...i bet all those stories are fascinating! Just recently i changed to 28 day seasons...I don't regret it either...it affords a tinge bit more realism. I can see where eventually there would be friendship culling ..esp as your rotational community grows ....this is my new favorite way to play the sims ..it is continuously exciting. Thanks for sharing your way of getting your rotational play started and how you kept it growing!

Thank you! :) I've been enjoying it so much. I do have a mod to lessen the relationship culling but not eliminate - I imagine that not all the University relationships would have lasted beyond. Indeed, some have maintained relationships (Andrea's stayed in contact and is the only one not to have had her relationships culled, so her girly friendship group has remained in tact 4 years after graduating!) and others have lost touch altogether. That's where I haven't minded the relationship culling much.

The stories are fascinating and a lot of fun. I'm also bringing in 8 from a Big Brother style challenge I did for fun a couple of months ago; they gained a lot of skills so they'll be joining the Universities this autumn, so they'll have a good head start. I'm also bringing in a family with six children (2 children and 4 toddlers, I must be mad) who are originally from a Build-A-City Challenge I was doing last year. So they're fairly well established and starting to meet some of my original 8.

It's kept my interest because all the households are doing different things. I've got some actors/actresses who are aiming for the lifestyle of the rich and famous (and failing miserably) and others who are just scraping by. So it's a lot of fun and always varied!
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Question Guys, How do you utilize Seasons with rotational Play?

I've got them on 28 days so there's plenty of time for me to work with who I want. I don't do a strict rotation schedule, so I work with who I want. It stays a bit more relaxed that way.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png